Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Archives > Archives > DVD Talk Archive
Reload this Page >

Boght Pirates of the Caribbean on dvd for 9 dollars. bad decision!!

Boght Pirates of the Caribbean on dvd for 9 dollars. bad decision!!

Old 08-26-03, 12:15 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
Flare 65:

If I may, allow me to say that you've done very foolish things:

First, you wasted 9.00 on a bootleg that could be had for just a LITTLE more had you more patience and waited 3-5 months.

Second, the mere mention that you did such a thing in a PUBLIC FORUM like DVDTalk makes you vulnerable to ridicule like mine and possible legal action.

Use your head next time!
Old 08-26-03, 03:56 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by jeffkjoe
Flare 65:

If I may, allow me to say that you've done very foolish things:

First, you wasted 9.00 on a bootleg that could be had for just a LITTLE more had you more patience and waited 3-5 months.
Hell...if he uses Columbia House, he could have had the original for less then $8.
Old 12-01-03, 05:13 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was just wondering if the guy who started this thread is gonna buy the real disc tomorrow?
Old 12-01-03, 05:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Kumar J
Malaysia has been really tough lately on VCD,music CD's and DVD vendors !I cannot find 1 store open or any any rental store of illegal music CD,VCD nor DVD's.If only other countries would do the same.
you should've went a few miles to the South East (hint: Indonesia)

they got PLENTY of boots....
Old 12-01-03, 06:53 PM
bhk
DVD Talk Legend

Why bother paying for bootleg copies now when you can just copy the DVD and burn a DVD-R with widely available free programs?
Either way what people who knowingly buy bootlegs are encouraging stealing.
Old 12-01-03, 07:22 PM

ah...yeah...?
Old 12-01-03, 07:25 PM

why not go back to the flea markey and over turn all the tables demanding a refund of your 9 bucks?

then with the car you rented...(the Hummer 2) drive it right over top all the crap scattered over the ground.

This usually gives the DVD pirate the signal not to sell crap to people. Especially a well informed DVD Talker like yourself! You have all the inside stuff when your a member here... You should be a DVD expert by now.

Pay attention
Old 12-02-03, 02:13 AM

Originally posted by Digable Planets
i paid $9.50 to do the commentary on the bootleg, along with the rest of the theater.
... cute!
Old 12-02-03, 02:45 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Originally posted by jasonnaper
This usually gives the DVD pirate the signal not to sell crap to people. Especially a well informed DVD Talker like yourself! You have all the inside stuff when your a member here... You should be a DVD expert by now.
Even with all the levels of knowledge on these boards, it wont stop one moron from blowing his cash on crap he doesn't need. plain and simply.. a fool and his money will always soon depart.

In this case, for an extra 8 bucks he could have gotten a GREAT quality dvd, alternative endings, commentary and everything else that comes along with the package.

I learned long ago not to piss away my money on bootlegs. That's not to see I don't know how to get a film within hours of it's theater release.. I'm just saying it's stupid to support booteggers when the material is up for free.

Now given that I will admit, I have gotten a hold of in total 4 different versions of Pirates. I have also seen it TWICE in theaters and gotten a hold of the promo dvd.. why so many? Well where else are you going to get screen caps like this..

either way, Tomorrow morning I'll be at best buy to shell out my cash for the final version.

Goes to show you that Pirating isn't all that bad if they got two theater tickets and a dvd buy with my vast amount of pirating...

YAR!!!!
Old 12-02-03, 08:30 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

I bought The Brain That Wouldn't Die on DVD from a legitimate online seller, and was shocked to find that it was the worst quality bootleg one could imagine. Not only was it obviously filmed in a theater but you could see and hear a guy and two puppets sitting in front making wisecracks throughout the whole thing. I could not believe it.
Old 12-02-03, 08:41 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm lucky, my flea market sells actual new dvds for $12........clap for me
Old 12-02-03, 11:52 AM

haha! i got wise on my pirate purchases. in most of my experiences buying pirates, the end result is that it plays just as finel as the legit releases and heck, they even add in the 2nd disc full of extras.

and i find it ironic that there are bootleg dvd's that play better than legit dvd's. like "The Twins Effect" starring HK pop group Twins and Jackie Chan for example. legit dvd has layer change problems like crazy. pirate copy...none at all. (btw, i only borrowed a pirate copy of this movie. i have the friggin' legit dvd at home....the problems on this disc is driving me mad)
Old 12-02-03, 12:07 PM
Banned

that is a cool screen grab
Old 12-02-03, 01:06 PM
Banned

Originally posted by DRG
The commerical they should make:

Guy is in front of his computer. His friends are all about to take off to a movie.

"You coming?"
"Naw, why pay when I can just watch it for free?"

Cut back and forth from guys at movie having fun (camradery, audience laughing together, guy holding hands with girl as she smiles at him, etc.) to guy alone at home (download takes forever, first copy isn't even the right movie, second copy is crappy camcordered thing in a tiny window, etc.)

Granted, it's slightly dishonest as it doesn't take into account crappy movies, annoying moviegoers, etc. but it's still a lot better than the "you're robbing the poor set painter" approach.

Guy is in front of his computer. His friends are all about to take off to a movie.

"You coming?"

Cut back and forth from guys at movie having a fun (people screaming, children crying, cell phones going off, the person behind them that already saw the movie and is saying out loud what is going to happen, guy holding hands with another guy and smiling before he goes down on him, gang members start shooting each other killing most of the people in the crowd, etc.) to guy alone at home (download takes under an hour, first copy is the right movie since he checked it as he downloaded it, second to his pleasure he found a screener copy that was ripped from a dvd, perfect quality, he later finds out that he has an uncut version that will never be release, etc.)

Granted, it's slightly dishonest as it doesn't take into account crappy movies, annoying moviegoers, getting shot and dying, etc. but it's still a lot better than the "you're robbing the poor set painter who gets paid by a union, so I guess he doesn't lose money after all" approach.
Old 12-02-03, 01:56 PM
Banned

Originally posted by chemosh6969

"You coming?"

Cut back and forth from guys at movie having a fun (people screaming, children crying, cell phones going off, the person behind them that already saw the movie and is saying out loud what is going to happen, guy holding hands with another guy and smiling before he goes down on him, gang members start shooting each other killing most of the people in the crowd, etc.) to guy alone at home (download takes under an hour, first copy is the right movie since he checked it as he downloaded it, second to his pleasure he found a screener copy that was ripped from a dvd, perfect quality, he later finds out that he has an uncut version that will never be release, etc.)

Granted, it's slightly dishonest as it doesn't take into account crappy movies, annoying moviegoers, getting shot and dying, etc. but it's still a lot better than the "you're robbing the poor set painter who gets paid by a union, so I guess he doesn't lose money after all" approach.
Old 12-02-03, 02:13 PM
Suspended

Originally posted by chemosh6969

"You coming?"

No, no - the commercial they should make is this one:

Patricia VanLester sitting in front of his computer.

"You coming?"
"No way - I'm going to buy it on disc! But I've got to get a DVD player first."

Cut back and forth between the guy at the theater laughing and having a good time and Pat being trampled by the Walmart Crowd, clutching her DVD player under her mangled body.

It's slightly dishonest - but you have to admit it would be fun to watch.
Old 12-02-03, 04:14 PM
Banned

Originally posted by El-Kabong
No, no - the commercial they should make is this one:

Patricia VanLester sitting in front of his computer.

"You coming?"
"No way - I'm going to buy it on disc! But I've got to get a DVD player first."

Cut back and forth between the guy at the theater laughing and having a good time and Pat being trampled by the Walmart Crowd, clutching her DVD player under her mangled body.

It's slightly dishonest - but you have to admit it would be fun to watch.
Old 12-02-03, 06:31 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
well I ended up buying TWO copies because of my quest for the Gold coin and coin pouce at wal mart and still came without pouce. for someone who is a pirate, Looks like my booty is floating down davey jones locker.
Old 12-02-03, 07:44 PM

I'd rather support the movie industry thanks!