Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Diablo: How do I kill "The butcher"

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Diablo: How do I kill "The butcher"

Old 04-08-01, 01:51 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just borrowed Diablo (the original) from a friend and he said to play with the sorcerer because he's the coolest guy in the game, but he's difficult to keep alive.

NO ****!!

I get wacked by The Butcher 3 times and I'm dead. How should I go about killing him? I have 1 wall of fire scroll, 2 staffs of bolt, 1 staff of firebolt, and I have 4 or 5 spells: firebolt spell, undead firebolt spell, healing, and something else. All are level 1 (I'm at level 2 and about to level up to level 3).

Oh yeah, and what is "scroll of phasing"?
Old 04-08-01, 05:36 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

He can't open doors. Open door to his chamber, cast firewall(s), close door. Rinse and repeat.

With weaker characters, I'll usually just skip 'im come back later. After all, the cleaver isn't that useful for a sorcerer anyways.
Old 04-08-01, 05:36 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Oh, and IIRC, a "scroll of phasing" means teleport randomly anywhere on the screen. Sort of a cheap panic teleport. But then again, it's been a while since I played D1...
Old 04-08-01, 07:11 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I don't remember the abilities of a sorcerer... but I know as a rogue I'd find a door next to a window, pull the butcher out, then run to the door next to a window, close it, and fire away with arrows. Can the sorcerer do something similar?
Old 04-08-01, 07:50 PM
Banned

clear the level out before you let the butcher out of his room. then when you let him out, you have to hit him with a spell and run like hell. or use fire walls. make sure you have an emergency teleport portal opened before you start.
Old 04-08-01, 11:18 PM

Go up a few levels and then just laugh when he starts whacking at you. Level 37 ought to be just fine.
Old 04-09-01, 02:10 AM

You don't have to wait that long, but yeah, you pretty much have to build up a few more levels, then take him on. Not sure if my memories are correct, but you're probably level 8 (char) now, and you should go to 12 before going back down to take him on again. He'll be VERY easy. Alright maybe not that easy.
Old 04-09-01, 09:00 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

All I did was buy a lot of healing potions, and when he came after me I would hit him and run, over and over. It would help to get a town portal scroll (a couple actually) and cast it before you fight him, so when you are wounded, you can return back to town and get healed. Plus going up a few levels never hurts either.
Old 04-09-01, 11:06 AM
Retired

Just level up some more and make sure to have plenty of healing potions. Wack on him a couple of times, run and repeat.
Old 04-11-01, 02:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

My solution: Buy 'Record of Lodoss War' for Dreamcast and play that instead.

-Matt
Old 04-11-01, 02:48 PM

You could always start a new game with that character, and blow down to that level. I found that usually pushed you enough up (level & equipment) to face the Butcher no prob.

Brian
Old 04-11-01, 04:01 PM
Retired

Originally posted by Cyndrax
You could always start a new game with that character, and blow down to that level. I found that usually pushed you enough up (level & equipment) to face the Butcher no prob.

Brian
Exaclty. Start an new game a blast through the previous levels again a couple time to level up. This will prove to be the key to beating the game. It was for me anyway. I killed Diablo the first time without a problem.

Spoiler:
I went into the room he was in cast a ton of firewall and ran, he came out and all his minions didn't. I just stood there and wacked at him, used a couple of life potions, and he died. I couldn't believe how easy it was. Most of the "bosses" required me going back and leveling up some first.