Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Game suggestions for a newbie

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-01, 01:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi,
I'll be abandoning my P75, yes you read that right, a p75 soon for a new computer. Needless to say I've been out of the gaming loop for a long time since the only game I could play on my computer was DukeNukem3D and Tie-Fighter.

I need some suggestions for some titles cause I don't have a clue as to what's good. Here's what I'm looking for:

1. First person shootem up game. I did play Half-Life a bit and thought that game was awesome. I'm thinking of picking this title up unless someone can suggest another title that's similar. I'm looking for something that has that Half-Life creepy/eerie feel to it and that is also adventurous like Half Life.

2. A racing game. The last racing game I played was Need For Speed 1. I'm looking for a racing game where I can race against another car on the city streets and be able to weave in and out of pedestrian cars and stuff.

3. A StarWars game. Like I said, I use to play Tie-Fighter and that's my favourite game of all time. Can someone recommend a StarWars game? It doesn't have to be a flight-sim like Tie-Fighter or a 1st person game like Dark Forces...just any StarWars title that is worth the purchase.
I heard that Dark Forces II is really good and got lots of awards...even though its old, I might still want to pick it up if its still good by today's standards.

Any other game recommendations would be helpful too.
Thanks
Andy
Old 03-21-01, 06:49 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts
Well...for a racing game, I would suggest Midtown Madness 1 or 2. You actually race through city traffic, in an actual city (Chicago in part 1 and San Francisco or London in part 2).

Dark Forces 2 is pretty good and I'm sure you can get it pretty cheap (along with the expansion pack).

For a 3-d shooter, I would suggest getting the Half-Life 3 game pack (HL, OpFor, and Counterstrike). I would also recommend Unreal, Unreal Tournament (only if you like DM), or Undying.

Hope this helps...
Old 03-22-01, 09:12 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: Where the sky is always Carolina Blue! (Currently VA - again...)
I would also recommend Deus Ex as a mixture of FPS, strategy and a little RPG.

If you like straight up RPG's, I HIGHLY recommend Fallout 1 and 2, both of which are now dirt cheap.

Dark Forces 2 -- is great, -- graphics aren't top now, but still one of the best story driven FPS. Forgot about it in the other thread though. You can even deflect shots with your laser beam and use a bunch of nifty force powers -- as well as choosing between the light and dark sides of the force.

there have also been a couple revamps/updates of the X-wing/tie Fighter Saga, but all of them are pretty cheap now.

Tuan Jim
Old 03-23-01, 11:42 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Out of curiosity, if you liked Half-Life why not just buy it? Something along roughly the same lines might be System Shock 2...