Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Who here played System Shock 2?

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Who here played System Shock 2?

Old 03-03-01, 05:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
After asking around a bit, it seems many gamers missed this incredible game. Between the enthralling storyline, similar (but better!) advancement system to Deus Ex, and downright creepy voice acting, this game remains one of my all-time favorites. And the engine is still recent enough not to be an annoyance to those who have yet to play it.

It's been rereleased as a "classic" at about $9 (at Costco), so if you're looking for a good PC game, it gets my highest recommendation.

On a side note, has anyone heard if there is going to be a System Shock 3? And how was System Shock 1 compared to the sequel? I haven't played the first.

[Edited by MWoody on 03-03-01 at 03:06 PM]
Old 03-03-01, 06:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I did. Bought it same way as I did Warcraft. Went to EB, wanted something, just grabbed an almost random title. VERY glad I did.
Old 03-03-01, 07:08 PM

Actually, I bought a couple of months ago, and it has been sitting on the shelf gathering dust. Funny thing is, I planned on installing it and playing this weekend.
Old 03-04-01, 09:49 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I bought it a long long time ago... didn't like it though so hardly every played it.
Old 03-05-01, 01:52 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: Where the sky is always Carolina Blue! (Currently VA - again...)
It was one of those games (much like Descent 3 and Mechwarrior 3) where I had absolutely no luck whatsoever trying to run the demo, so I didn't want to waste my money on a game that probably, for whatever reason, wouldn't work on my system.

Tuan Jim
Old 03-05-01, 02:03 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally posted by MWoody
After asking around a bit, it seems many gamers missed this incredible game. Between the enthralling storyline, similar (but better!) advancement system to Deus Ex, and downright creepy voice acting, this game remains one of my all-time favorites. And the engine is still recent enough not to be an annoyance to those who have yet to play it.

It's been rereleased as a "classic" at about $9 (at Costco), so if you're looking for a good PC game, it gets my highest recommendation.

On a side note, has anyone heard if there is going to be a System Shock 3? And how was System Shock 1 compared to the sequel? I haven't played the first.

[Edited by MWoody on 03-03-01 at 03:06 PM]
$9?? That is a steal for this great game. The story, creepiness and atmosphere are unmatched. Awesome game.
Old 03-05-01, 07:54 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I bought this game, I played this game, I loved this game.

BTW, from what I hear System Shock 1 was just as good, except of course for the graphics. Also, I heard control wasn't as good in SS1 as compared SS2. Not surprising as I found the SS2 control scheme very intuitive.
Old 03-05-01, 10:32 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Just stumbled on somethin':

http://www.ebworld.com/ebx/categorie...p?pf_id=184745

SS2 for Dreamcast! Wonder what they're updating...
Old 03-05-01, 11:01 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I bought it and played it for awhile before giving up. I became overwhelmed with all I had to do. Can anyone fill me in on the ending?
Old 03-06-01, 03:59 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Please, please, please don't read below if you intend at all to play the game.

ENDING (assuming you've made it far enough to know the basic plot):
Spoiler:
With the assistance of SHODAN, the insane computer, you track down and destroy the brain of the "Many," which controls all the nasty organic enemies you've faced. However, as you discover from recordings left by the on-board engineer who created the ship's FTL (faster-than-life) drive, SHODAN plans to use the drive's space-warping capabilities to recreate the universe in her peverse image. So after leaving the hivemind of the Many, you find yourself inside SHODAN's universe. It is a small, "bubble" universe at present, but will soon spread to Earth if nothing is done.

You track down SHODAN and hack into her mind to destroy the shields around her base, and blow her ass up. Realizing her defeat, she enters into a long (FMV) speech about how she will make you like a God in her new universe, if you let her remain, and you'll have powers you never dreamed of, making your current enhancements seem like "toys." Your character, having listened to the 30 second rambling, utters his only spoken line in the entire game: "Nah." As SHODAN screams in insane fury, he raises his pistol and fires, obliterating her mainframe. He is then shown on the main deck, setting course for home.

The scene then cuts to the escape pod launched earlier, and we hear the voice of one of the two lovers, whose story you may have been following through the recordings in the game. The man (forgot his name) speaks of their journey back to Earth, but is worried that his mate has been acting unusually since their departure. She is currently asleep. As we watch, she rises and approaches him, her back to the camera; As snake/tendril/wires sprout from her head, we hear the all too familiar voice: "What's the matter, lover? Don't you like my new... look?"

Sequel. Boo-yah.