Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

WWF No Mercy or Smackdown 2

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-01, 02:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Which one is better, which one do you prefer.

I am thinking of picking up a used 64, I have two games from when I was borrowing someone elses a couple of years ago.

I really just want a good damn wrestling game with depth, the only one I have right now is Royal Rumble for DC, and there is no depth to that.

Discuss.
Old 03-01-01, 03:07 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Royal Rumble for Dreamcast is not good at all, i have it. I also have Smackdown 2 and its pretty good. The different kind of matches are great. The TLC macthes is what keeps me playing the game since ive obtained all the secret characters. Ive never played No Mercy but ive heard its a damn good game. But from my stand point, Smackdown 2 is a good game for a wrestling fan, well atleast i enjoy it.
Old 03-01-01, 10:11 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I dislike Smackdown 2. The gameplay style is too knee-jerk for me. I wish the PS-based games had the same gameplay style as the N64 ones. Loading times are unbearable and having to watch health meters go down on matches you aren't in is just stupid. Just pick a winner and let's get on with the show. I really wish I had not picked up Smackdown 2, but I thought it might be cool to have all those casket, ladder, table and other matches. I may sell this game as I really dislike it.

As for No Mercy, I cannot recommend it enough. I like the AKI style of gameplay over the one used in Smackdown. The only problem with No Mercy is that if there are four wrestlers on the screen at once it can slow down to a crawl. This didn't happen as much in WM2000, but you can tell they went that little extra for cleaner graphics.

Royal Rumble has no deepness to it. I play it every once in a while though.
Old 03-01-01, 10:59 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I really like both but yes the watching health meters for other matches is real dumb. If you want a bunch of different matches then maybe you should go with Smackdown 2 otherwise NoMercy beats it slightly.
Old 03-01-01, 12:02 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Well this is an age old question........

Lets get the two out and cleared up

Smackdown 2 has just more then enough characters to keep you very very happy. OIt has every damn match you want, tables, ladders, chairs, etc. the vs. modes are very nice. and the graphics are very nice. the hell in the cell match is one of the best, and the announcing tables are very much interactive. the arena's are nice and the P.P.V ring looks nice. the back stage areas are also very nice to fight in. the character graphics are nice, and have a very close resemblance to the wrestlers. the videos are nice and the best part of this i can think of is the create a wrestler. I mean you can think of anything and create it. it has the best create a wrestler around. it also has create a tag team, create a stable. and the best thing around. CREATE-A-TAUNT.. You can create anything and animate it, and place it on any character to just customize it some more. the options that they give you in each match are nice aswell.

the only down side....... THE FREAK'N STORY MODE!!! god this is the stupids story mode around. why? because they make you sit through other matches you are not in either way. by either watching a bar meter slowly go down for the both to see who wins, and also, you can go a full year with even having your superstar in a story. terrible story mode, but great game.

Now WWF No mercy. N64

Ok, the gameplay is much like the ps version. it has pretty good move list and the character list has about 4 or so more wrestlers then the smackdown2. the types of matches also is long just like smackdown. the story mode on no mercy is pretty decent, and as stated before, the slow down in the game when you have four characters going at it has that slow as all hell going to it. they are both nice games, and the create a wreslter is pretty much the same as "WM2000". the real problem i have with no mercy is how Nintendo does the characters. they all look like the are walking trying to hold a crap in. the game has the best "life like" moves, i say that in meaning, if you do a rock bottom, they will actually feel it for a while and stay down. one problem SMACKDOWN had. you could throw someone off the top of the cell and they will just get up like nothing really happened.

both games are great. i like smackdown2 better though
Old 03-01-01, 02:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Its always a tough one, but No Mercy uses the great AKI engine that has worked so well since WCW vs. NWO World Tour in the US and even longer in Japan. Smackdown 2 has more options, but the N64 version still has the best gameplay of any wrestling game. Hope it can be converted to the PS2 or Gamecube by AKI without losing what made it the best.
Old 03-02-01, 01:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Hmmm I really see myself leaning towards No Mercy. Gameplay is the big factor in my book, I like options, which Royal Rumble doesn't have, and I like graphics, which Royal Rumber DOES have, but I am really looking for gameplay.

Might pick up a N64 this weekend, I have the Saturday off for the first time in forever.
Old 03-02-01, 01:31 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
why not try them both?
Old 03-02-01, 01:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Jackskeleton
why not try them both?
Well cause I don't own a playstation, I borrowed a N64 from a friend for awhile and that is why I have a few games for it. So I actually have niether system.

I actually got out of gaming for a couple of years after Sega Saturn turned out to be such a flop. Before that I was hardcore, Nintendo, Gameboy, Genesis, and SNES.

This year I picked up a Neo Geo pocket and started to get back into it a little, then I picked up a Dreamcast and I am back big time.

I regret getting rid of my SNES, and Genesis, so another reason for picking up a 64 is to have one to play some games that soon will be retro.

Hense the quandry I have, which ever game I choose will be the system I choose.