Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Phantasy Star Online

Old 03-01-01, 02:13 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Do you guys play Phantasy Star Online, if so what is your User name, and do you go online.

My name is Wussy$ and yes go online. Only like LVL14
Old 03-01-01, 05:00 AM

I have yet to start this game, though I do own it. Want to play through Final Fantasy 9 and Breath of Fire 4 on PSX, and currently playing Clive Barker's Undying for PC, which is scary stuff. After that, will hit PSO.
Old 03-01-01, 09:38 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have a level 55 Force. Normally play on Umnbriel block 8 or so... unless i want to go to a more populated server to find some people. My character name is: misa

<edited to add my character name>
Old 03-01-01, 11:00 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I only played it shortly haven't gone online yet, because I have broadband, and it's hard for me to actually want to play something on 56k.
Old 03-01-01, 11:44 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally posted by Spicollidriver1
I only played it shortly haven't gone online yet, because I have broadband, and it's hard for me to actually want to play something on 56k.
I've heard that the lag is minimal even on a 56k... I have a friend who plays constantly, but I don't even have a DC
Old 03-01-01, 02:27 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Yeah, the lag is almost NONE runs very smooth.
Old 03-01-01, 04:01 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts
I am a little miffed that they went with an online format for part of the game. I hate online gaming. Actually, I don't so much hate it as I don't have time for it. I wish the entire game could be played offline, personally.
Old 03-01-01, 04:09 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

How much is Sega.net monthly? They still have that Dreamcast rebate thingy, right?
Old 03-02-01, 01:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

As far as I know, there's no rebate. You can use your ISP though (seganet isn't required).

To stay on topic... As soon as I finish Shenmue, PSO is a must have. I've heard too many good things about it. If I buy it now, I'll never finish Shenume...
Old 03-02-01, 04:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Whoah, so if I buy Phantasy Star and a broadband adapter for my Dreamcast, I can just plug in to our LAN (which is routed over a Cable modem) and play with no monthly fees?
Old 03-02-01, 06:48 PM

Is PSO Broadband adapter capable? I thought I had read something that said PSO was not compatable with broadband adapter.
Old 03-02-01, 07:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

No one knows for sure til it comes out basically.
Old 03-03-01, 09:50 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

it's not BBA compatible, but some people have gotten it to work. from what I hear, it's somewhat unreliable at best. really though, using the dialup works really well, with virtually no lag. you can even use free ISPs, but if you get disconnected while playing online, you might get the dreaded BSOD with possible character/inventory loss.

BTW - UberJag - lv 45 Humar
i'll help out a DVDtalk member if you say hi online - usually on Titania 16 or the JP servers
Old 03-03-01, 01:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by kvrdave
I hate online gaming. Actually, I don't so much hate it as I don't have time for it. I wish the entire game could be played offline, personally.
Either way, you have to spend time building experience, fighting creatures, etc. Might as well just not play an RPG at all.

-Matt
Old 03-03-01, 05:33 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by DrJag
it's not BBA compatible, but some people have gotten it to work. from what I hear, it's somewhat unreliable at best. really though, using the dialup works really well, with virtually no lag. you can even use free ISPs, but if you get disconnected while playing online, you might get the dreaded BSOD with possible character/inventory loss.
It doesn't officially support the BBA however there are a couple sites out there that explain how to get it to work. Basically it involves downloading a japanese file to your vmu etc etc. I have a friend who i regularly play with online and after he got it set up per the website decription he hasn't had a single problem.

Also, as far as the BSOD goes, if you just disconnect the phone line (or whatever) from the DC after a couple of minutes it will autodisconnect and save your character, so item loss is pretty minimal. Well, other than the rampant thieves online who should all be autoslayed and purged imo...