Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Dreamcast - How do you feel now about burning games?

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Dreamcast - How do you feel now about burning games?

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-01, 02:40 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How many of you who don't like the idea of burning games download music from Napster, or tape a DVD for a friend? These are all the same thing. You may think that music is justified over games because of the price difference; by burning one game, you are hurting a company more than by downloading one song. Like anyone downloads just one song. The point is, by doing any of this we are participating in piracy, be it music, software, games, or videos. They are all punishable in the same way. I am not saying that I don't do it, because I do, Napster more than anything else though. (no burner)

When the first commercial CD-Rom was released, they knew what it was going to be used for. They just said that it would be for mass-storage.

-CM-
Old 02-28-01, 10:32 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Since Sega killed what was to me the best console around, I wouldn't feel bad about copying every single game. I mean you killed the system and turned your back on the costumers, so now the costumers turn their back on you. I've never seen a company pull the plug on so many great machines like Sega does... Sega CD, Saturn and now the Dreamcast. I don't have a DC and won't get one, but if I did, you can be sure i'd burn the games instead of buying them.
Old 02-28-01, 07:29 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally posted by Feneant
Since Sega killed what was to me the best console around, I wouldn't feel bad about copying every single game. I mean you killed the system and turned your back on the costumers, so now the costumers turn their back on you. I've never seen a company pull the plug on so many great machines like Sega does... Sega CD, Saturn and now the Dreamcast. I don't have a DC and won't get one, but if I did, you can be sure i'd burn the games instead of buying them.
Spoken like a true gamer.
Old 02-28-01, 09:16 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This is pretty much how I feel! Although some may find this hard to believe, I did buy the games that I really enjoyed to help support the system. A lot of good it did. Oh well, we have another year and a half of games to look forward to burning. No point in buying them I say, they'll be making lots of money off making games for other systems and it's not like buying the games will help keep the DC alive. Just my 2 cents.
Old 03-01-01, 01:34 AM
Suspended; also need updated email

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
free rules, paying sucks
Old 03-01-01, 06:37 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Screw sega, I bought the Sega CD, Saturn and Dreamcast and at least 10 games for each system and they gave up on every one. I wouldn't/don't feel bad about copying games for the dreamcast. Why should I put money in their pocket after they have pretty much stole it from mine?
Old 03-01-01, 07:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Exactly, how many games is a system suppose to release before its worth the money. Sega CD had Lunar, Lunar II, Vay, Popful Mail, Snatcher, Sonic CD, Echo, Echo Tides of Time, Shining Force CD. Well worth the cost of the system. Saturn had Panzer Dragoon Saga, Shining Force III, Dragon Force, Nights, Fighters Megamix, House of the Dead, Shining in the Holy Ark, Virtua-On, Magic Knight Rayearth, Quake, Virtua Cop 1&2, Daytona USA. Again some great games and worth the cost of the console. Dreamcast had the best library of all. Skies of Arcadia, Phantasy Star Online, Shenmue, Grandia II, Sonic Adventure 1 & 2, House of the Dead 2, NBA2K1, NFL2K1, Virtua Tennis, Jet Grind Radio, Soul Calibur, Ecco Defender of the Future. If thats not worth the price of a console I don't know what is.

These are just a few of the great games made for the Sega consoles. Sega stole money from no one. You just can't keep producing hardware if its not selling well enough. Sega made great games, but they can't compete with Sony. Nintendo can't either, but at least they have the Game Boy to fall back on and they still have their reputation from the NES days. Sega did the best the could and I can't wait for them to really branch out as a developer and do what they do best, make games.
Old 03-01-01, 11:54 AM

While owning all of the above mentioned consoles, I would hardly rate the CD and Saturn as great. Great games? Yes some, but nothing worth the title of a great system. Do you consider the Atari Jaguar 64 great? after all it brought about the "revolutionary" (see reviews) new platformer Rayman in his glory.

*Main point*
Also, Sega did not turn their back on customers at all. If a system is costing you billions of dollars to support, and is eventually going to kill you, is it your duty to go down with the ship? Is that in the interest of the Consumer? No.

The true interest of "consumers", if thats what you are really concerned with, is served when Sega creates games for all platforms. This will generate enough revenue in order to keep thep them profitable and making great games. I would much rather still be able to play Sega high quality games 10 years down the road then to say, "Hey you remember Sega? Man they had some neat games. What the hell happened to them again?"

So who is really the one turning their back, you or Sega?
Old 03-01-01, 01:32 PM
Mod Emeritus

Originally posted by Nosebleed
I did buy the games that I really enjoyed to help support the system. A lot of good it did.
Yeah I'm sure that big library of games you purchased, ALL TWO OF THEM, really helped Sega out.
Old 03-01-01, 03:27 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Gallant Pig
Yeah I'm sure that big library of games you purchased, ALL TWO OF THEM, really helped Sega out.
I said I bought 2 games after testing out burned copies first. That doesn't mean I don't own any other games for the system. Infact, I bought Shenmue without even downloading it. I've also purchased Virtua Tennis, Tony Hawk, Dead Or Alive 2, Railroad Tycoon II, Soul Calibur, Crazy Taxi and the 2 Power Stone games which I mentioned before. All of which could have been downloaded but weren't.
Old 03-01-01, 03:29 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Gallant Pig
I said I bought 2 games after testing out burned copies first. That doesn't mean I don't own any other games for the system. Infact, I bought Shenmue without even downloading it. I've also purchased Virtua Tennis, Tony Hawk, Dead Or Alive 2, Railroad Tycoon II, Soul Calibur, Crazy Taxi, NBA2K, NFL2K and the 2 Power Stone games which I mentioned before. All of which could have been downloaded but weren't.
Old 03-01-01, 04:28 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Even if the system is going out of production in March I still don't see why you wouldn't want to support brave developers (particularly 3rd party) who are still committed to bringing out quality games to the DC. Admittedly there aren't many left now but I doubt the mindset of some here has helped any.

Chris
Old 03-02-01, 06:49 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

If you ever watch movies where someone is out in the desert without water, invariably the vultures/buzzards show up and start picking away at the victim (or at least make their presence known). Although they probably didn't cause the person's death, they certainly didn't help it either.
Old 03-04-01, 07:46 PM

Very good analogy stingo.

In other words, I dig it.
Old 03-05-01, 05:08 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

You do know that playing copied games on your Dreamcast will ruin it, right? Be sure your sins will find you out.
Old 03-05-01, 08:49 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Why do people always turn their back on the "costumers" I mean they have been "costuming" us for years now and most of us only support them at Halloween.

You are all a bunch of @#$%ing INGRATES!
Old 03-06-01, 01:30 PM

Is it bad for your hardware?

Putting aside that it is illegal to burn games, I'm wondering if it will do damage to my system and please be serious. I ask because my 2 year old son seems to be resourceful and trashed a bunch of my old Saturn games, and I didn't realize it until I took them in for store credit. I would rather used a burned copy of a game for my Dreamcast, and put away the originals so they don't get damaged, but I've heard that CD-R's can damage the machine, is this true?

I also wouldn't burn my own games, I would have to use one of the "services" available on the net.

[Edited by alexkat on 03-06-01 at 11:57 AM]
Old 03-06-01, 01:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Is it bad for your hardware?

Originally posted by alexkat
Putting aside that it is illegal to burn games, I'm wondering if it will do damage to my system and please be serious. I ask because my 2 year old son seems to be resourceful and trashed a bunch of my old Saturn games, and I didn't realize it until I took them in for store credit. I would rather used a burned copy of a game, and put away the originals so they don't get damaged, but I've heard that CD-R's can damage the machine, is this true?
No. If you're talking about burning your own Dreamcast games, that's a bit difficult if you're not experienced with doing it. A lot of information, usually in the form of music or sound files, is taken out so it will fit on a CD-R. I'm not sure about Saturn games, as I haven't had much experience with the system.

-Matt
Old 03-06-01, 05:11 PM
xc

So, can you burn Playstation games on a burner , or are there certain games only? Thanks
Old 03-06-01, 05:36 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Yeah you can burn PSX games but you'll need to put a modchip inside your PSX to actually play the games. With the DC it's just burn the games then play them.
Old 03-07-01, 03:22 AM

I wish I had burned Shenmue, the biggest piece of crap ever committed to a CD (OR GD) ROM. Instead I just returned it.

Oh, you mean COPY a game? Heavens no! I am lucky enough to work in the games industry and know how I feel when someone copies games I have worked hard on.

Seriously people- think before you burn. Game developers aren't exactly rolling around in big Scrooge McDuck piles of money these days. (Carmack notwithstanding) More importantly- you are not entitled to free entertainment. Most of you wouldn't sneak into an $8 movie, so why would it be OK to steal a $40 game?
Old 03-07-01, 12:35 PM
Mod Emeritus

Scooter, not to mention that you can try a game out for free in a legit way through Electronics Boutique and their 9 day no ask return policy.

Nice analogy about the theater, makes sense.
Old 08-27-17, 12:34 PM

Re: Dreamcast - How do you feel now about burning games?

Just wiping off the dust on this thread. I feel that I am back in 2001 again.

I was looking at the quality the House of the Dead 2 on the Dreamcast.
Old 08-28-17, 12:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 114 Likes on 76 Posts

I have to look around for it but I still have my Saturn and DC somewhere in my house. So many great games for both systems. I wouldn't have a problem burning games now after spending so much on their systems and games that as a copy they let me down.
Old 08-28-17, 11:10 PM
gamer for life

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

all the banned members in this thread make me sad..

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.