Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

120 HZ - Do you see a noticable difference?

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Old 01-11-23, 09:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 102 Likes on 62 Posts

Decided to post this topic here as well as I did the same in the 4k theater gear sub forum. I just wanted to ask for those of you who have a 120Hz TV....do you notice any huge difference in quality of gaming? I'm waiting for more input in this before I run out and spend money another TV. The series X looks amazing on my current TV and I'm not sure what would improve by just having 120hz. ​​​​​​​I've read it's primarily noticeable in first person shooter games but for movies and other games - there's not much of a difference.
The following users liked this post:
K&AJones (01-12-23)
Old 01-12-23, 12:08 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 974 Likes on 696 Posts
Re: 120 HZ - Do you see a noticable difference?

There is zero reason to use 120Hz for movies & TV. You're just creating 4 AI-generated frames for every 1 real frame and end up with the 'soap opera' look. Better to turn that stuff off or to very low processing levels and let it repeat every real frame 5 times. Or, better yet, use black frame insertion if the TV has it.

For games, the games themselves have to support it to get the full effect. This is the Xbox list. This is the PS5 list.
In particular, I've played Ori 2 and Nioh at 120Hz, and it's definitely noticeable and kind of amazing. Nothing new for PC gamers, though, as they've had upwards of 120Hz for years.
A nice compromise, for games that can't hit a 60Hz target, are games that aim for a solid 40Hz when using a 120Hz display. This doesn't look quite as good as 60Hz, but looks significantly better than 30Hz.
That said, with VRR, the exact framerate becomes less important, as VRR makes up for it. Only issue I had with VRR was with Elden Ring, because it dipped so low that VRR couldn't keep up at all times, so there were moments of really weird panning/movement/etc.
John Pannozzi (01-13-23)
Old 01-12-23, 07:02 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 92 Likes on 80 Posts

As noted....Broadcast and Blu-Ray TV/Movies don't need it since with Bluy-Ray be it 1080P or 4K is at 60Hz. broadcast & Streaming is like 24-30fps.

Now, for Gaming it gets a bit more technical as FPS (60 to 120Hz and 'Variable Refresh Rate") in relation to be it 1080P, 1440P and 4K be it 2160 or 3840 resolution. games in general are getting more technical...that be Eye Candy to PC Gamers...that for higher in depth details like water, landscape, surroundings, weather, and of course lighting. The More & higher Details the more Hz/FPS is needed. That's why say one PC Video Card may cost $500 while this one over here costs $1500.

it boils down to what you play but in all honesty 120Hz is the sweet spot but based on set and display panel which itself is another added equation in the mix (LED, QLED, etc....) I use a ASUS Gaming Monitor with 160Hz at 2160 and frankly to me it has a solid balance between lower 4K PQ and FPS since some games are seriously Lighting Intensive (Warframe). Before I played on a Sony Projector at 1080P at 60Hz and I can see the FPS/Hz difference, everything is smoother, no lag, judder, etc...

Last edited by K&AJones; 01-12-23 at 07:19 AM.
Old 01-12-23, 02:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Cool thanks for the replies guys. I only play the series X on my TV.

I'm sure it will be worth it down the road.

Also, I actually love the soap opera effect. Call me weird but I like the way it looks when things are moving in real time.
Old 01-12-23, 08:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 637 Likes on 478 Posts

^You're weird.

I HATE the soap opera effect. When I first bought a 120Hz TV with interpolation, I thought it would be cool. I guess it was, but there was no way I could watch stuff like that.

To each their own, however.
Old 01-12-23, 09:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 137 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by K&AJones View Post
As noted....Broadcast and Blu-Ray TV/Movies don't need it since with Bluy-Ray be it 1080P or 4K is at 60Hz. broadcast & Streaming is like 24-30fps.
Actually, BD and 4K UHD BD support video at frame rates up to 60 progressive frames per second. However, most movies and modern TV shows are shot (and their discs encoded) at 24 fps. So, depending on how the TV is set up, A 120 Hz panel might be preferable to a 60 Hz panel for film content.
The following 2 users liked this post by RocShemp:
John Pannozzi (01-13-23), kefrank (01-20-23)
Old 01-13-23, 07:58 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by andicus View Post
^You're weird.  I HATE the soap opera effect. When I first bought a 120Hz TV with interpolation, I thought it would be cool. I guess it was, but there was no way I could watch stuff like that. To each their own, however.
Lol, go ahead...let me have it, I can take it
Old 01-13-23, 11:32 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 632 Likes on 444 Posts

Originally Posted by RocShemp View Post
Actually, BD and 4K UHD BD support video at frame rates up to 60 progressive frames per second. However, most movies and modern TV shows are shot (and their discs encoded) at 24 fps. So, depending on how the TV is set up, A 120 Hz panel might be preferable to a 60 Hz panel for film content.
I mentioned this to him in another thread, but if he likes watching stuff with soap opera mode on (), then literally none of this matters.
Old 01-13-23, 01:01 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

I was thinking about this too. are TV's variable frequency? So, does it adjust to match the source? Or does it have to mess with frames to make it work? As you said, 120 is ideal, because 24, 30, 60 can all evenly be adjusted to 120.
Old 01-13-23, 07:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by rocket1312 View Post
I mentioned this to him in another thread, but if he likes watching stuff with soap opera mode on (), then literally none of this matters.
I did at first too because it eliminates judder. But the AI generated frames add some quirky movements (it looks like image is sometimes sped up, rather than the illusion of being shot at 60 fps) and annoying artifacts when the TVs processor has trouble adjusting to very busy scenes with fast moving action (which defeats the purpose of motion interpolation, IMO). I'm all for HFR (be it 48, 60, or 120 fps) but motion interpolation doesn't work as advertised. I'd take good old fashioned 3:2 / 2:3 pull down over that instead.
Old 01-14-23, 12:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by redbill View Post
I was thinking about this too. are TV's variable frequency? So, does it adjust to match the source? Or does it have to mess with frames to make it work? As you said, 120 is ideal, because 24, 30, 60 can all evenly be adjusted to 120.
Sorry. I forgot to reply to your post. Here's an excellent article about 120 Hz TVs and how they handle different frame rates.

redbill (01-14-23)
Old 01-16-23, 08:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by rocket1312 View Post
Exactly - and I don't know what I'm talking about so all good - I definitely didn't see your comment on this in the other thread - or if I did and commented on it, sorry If I didn't catch all of what was said.

Yes, I do love the soap opera effect - I actually feel it makes movements look more realistic.
Old 01-16-23, 08:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Hey, if you like it, who's to tell you different, Rival11. In the end of the day, it's your TV and you deserve to use it as you please. And I must admit, if not for the weird artifacts I mentioned, I'd use it too. But then, I recognise that 24fps was only ever chosen because it was the least number of frames filmmakers could get away before motion is ruined. And I think the claim that actors are trained to act in 24fps is the biggest load of crap ever. So I do hope one day films transition permanently to 48 or 60 fps. That being said, camera operators can't rely on the same movement/timing they do for 24fps. It looks weird at higher frame rates. But, like everything, there's A learning curve.
Old 01-17-23, 09:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Hey, if you like it, who's to tell you different, Rival11. In the end of the day, it's your TV and you deserve to use it as you please. And I must admit, if not for the weird artifacts I mentioned, I'd use it too. But then, I recognise that 24fps was only ever chosen because it was the least number of frames filmmakers could get away before motion is ruined. And I think the claim that actors are trained to act in 24fps is the biggest load of crap ever. So I do hope one day films transition permanently to 48 or 60 fps. That being said, camera operators can't rely on the same movement/timing they do for 24fps. It looks weird at higher frame rates. But, like everything, there's A learning curve.
Yeah, I've defintiely learned a decent amount on it too so thanks.