Reload this Page >

Your fondest video game memory?

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Your fondest video game memory?

Old 05-14-21, 12:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 219 Likes on 175 Posts
Re: Your fondest video game memory?

My mom got a mac laptop, and I got Wolfenstein 3D. I figured out how to connect the sound to my dad's big stereo system, so I'd play with it cranked up loud. Hearing the doors clang open and some guard shouting at me was quite the experience.

My first system that I ever owned was a PS1 I bought off one of my roommates in college. He had Wild Arms 3, so that was my first foray into RPGs. I spent a lot of time playing that, staying up late.
Old 05-14-21, 02:20 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts

Several memories:
Unreal: When you finally make it out of the ship and into a realistic looking colorful world! It really made my jaw drop.
Half-Life: Not sure how long I was into the game, but fairly early on, I was fighting some soldiers and I was crouched behind some boxes thinking what I should do next. I didn't have to wait long because one of the soldiers came up to me, dropped a grenade on me, and I blew up. I was just shocked that the AI did that. So cool!
Descent: Figured out how to connect to Kali and join my first Internet Multiplayer game. I was hooked. I think I stayed up until 4 am that night playing. Made some great friends on Kali.
F-Zero (SNES): My roommate played a long time to beat all my scores. He was so proud. He went to class, I went to work on getting my initials back on the game. Took about 2 hours. When he saw what I did he was fuming!
Quake II: Winning the championship at UberFest (LAN gaming before LAN gaming became a thing).
Old 05-14-21, 03:07 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,788 Likes on 1,116 Posts

A few:

1. My 1st experience with video gaming when my Father brought home an old Pong/Tennis/Hockey self contained system that took batteries.
2. My father bringing home a brand new Atari system when they came out.
3. Finishing my first console games which I think was Indiana Jones on Atari.
4. Finishing my first coin-op game with a stranger. House of the Dead II (Didn't even know one could finish coin-ops)
5. Playing the big coin-op X-Men Multiplayer with Director John Singleton at an arcade in Marina Del Rey CA.
Old 05-14-21, 05:04 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by milo bloom
Oh, so the shoe store chain, Shoe Carnival? When they first opened, they had an actual carnival atmosphere. They would have games out front and a barker doing giveaways. And inside they would have arcade games, including The Simpsons Arcade (one of the greatest arcade games ever, if I may say so myself). Normally, getting kids excited about going shoe shopping was quite a chore, but when we knew we would be able to play Simpsons, my brother and I didn't have quite such a problem.

I really wish that would get a good home port.
I'm pretty sure MAME emulation on it is near perfect. I also liked this game, with my favorite part being the team-ups between players when they stand next to each other.
Old 05-14-21, 05:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 737 Likes on 364 Posts

It also had a home port on PS3 and 360, but it was taken down years ago. I believe that Konami lost the license.
Old 05-17-21, 08:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 109 Likes on 68 Posts

A bunch, but probably my top are

-Watching my buddies brother play Resident Evil 2 and all three of us jumping when the dog busted through the glass

-Hours of Goldeneye with my dad

-Calling all over Charlotte trying to find WCW vs NWO for 64. Found it for $90 and had just enough. Played it and the THQ sequels for years and still consider them the greatest wrestling games.

-Renting a PlayStation 2 from my job and my mind being blown by the graphics of GTA3 and MGS2

-Halo and Halo 2 LAN parties in college. Left the front door of our apartment open with a sign that said 6 pack gets you a seat. Had 50+ people each week hanging out drinking beer and playing all night.

-Most recent, picking up a Switch and realizing my childhood dream of having an actual on the go console, something I’ve wanted since chasing the setting sun on my Gameboy on car trips, had finally come true. Along with that, my boys getting into gaming. Watching my 7 year old beat Odyssey and Luigis Mansion 3 has been awesome.
Old 05-17-21, 09:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 51 Likes on 40 Posts

Probably the first time I fired up Ultima VII: The Black Gate. The intro showed this red faced character called the Guardian popping out of a tv to speak to the player known as the Avatar (back in the day when digitized speech was rare), then the game dumps you into the little town of Trinsic. After talking briefly with the mayor the doors to the stables are opened to show two characters murdered in ritualistic fashion. From that moment I knew I was in for something special. The game took up half my 42MB hard drive any my computer could barely handle the game, but I didn't care. I was hooked.
Old 05-18-21, 09:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts

A second run theater in a mall near me had an arcade . It wasn't huge but had all the popular cabinets (Street Fighter, Mortal Komat etc )

On Saturday mornings they had a deal where for ten bucks all the machines were on free play. Went every Saturday with my Dad and friends. Lots of fun times there
Old 05-23-21, 06:49 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 119 Likes on 107 Posts

To this day I don't think anything has come close to two games I played on XBox 360 with friends....

Some of the best times playing was doing this and we had close to 7-9 people all the time wanting to play....for something that didn't exactlly give you heaping awrds of exotics, legendaries, mega loot but just a fancy banner at the end, it provided tons of fun and tense moments. hasn't been a game come close....with Horde nor the overall combat mechanics; crouch & run and cover system was simply awesome and still has the best weapon overall; Mark 3 Lancer Assault sawing enemies in half while lighting them up....

Halo Series....but Evolved thru Halo 3 playing with friends here with the infamous DVD Talk Clan on first XBox and then early on 360 was some really fond memories....the custom matches with 'Fight Club" (no weapons just fists)...had to be the most funniest moments ever in game...