DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Video Game Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk-15/)
-   -   Returnal - From Housemarque Studio (PS5) - 4/30/21 (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk/652314-returnal-housemarque-studio-ps5-4-30-21-a.html)

Decker 04-29-21 10:43 AM

Re: Returnal - From Housemarque Studio (PS5) - 4/30/21

Originally Posted by Deftones (Post 13927487)
The game lacks the ability to save. That, alone, will prevent me from buying it.

Review here going off about it: https://kotaku.com/returnal-the-kota...iew-1846786237

I mean yeah, I wish you could. But you can't in any other Rouge-likes, so nobody should have been expecting it.

lopper 04-29-21 11:01 AM

My hang up with the $70 is that the vast majority of rogue-like games are indie AA games at best, and are priced accordingly. I just don’t associate that particular genre with a AAA price point.

Even still, I’ll be downloading this tomorrow, and I can’t wait to play it. Looks fuckin dynamite.

The Questyen 04-29-21 11:18 AM

Originally Posted by Decker (Post 13927496)
I mean yeah, I wish you could. But you can't in any other Rouge-likes, so nobody should have been expecting it.

I think the difference being most of these games the runs are like 20-30 minutes so not being able to save is fine. Like in Hades for example. The reviewer for Returnal is saying some of the runs are 2-3 hours long which is a lot different and more of a headache if you lose that whole run.

Decker 04-29-21 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by The Questyen (Post 13927512)
I think the difference being most of these games the runs are like 20-30 minutes so not being able to save is fine. Like in Hades for example. The reviewer for Returnal is saying some of the runs are 2-3 hours long which is a lot different and more of a headache if you lose that whole run.

I guess that's fair, but those others were small indie games and this is a full retail game with story and everything. Maybe I'm a pessimist but I was fully expecting a longer game and figured that meant a longer single playthrough between frustrating deaths. But I suck so badly at games that it would be a minor miracle if I ever lasted an hour anyways. :lol:

I'm not a fan of the rouge-like game design (besides Hades) and would have much preferred a game I could play through casually and leisurely, but can't imagine how that could have been implemented with the same overall time-loop concept.

mewmartigan 04-29-21 12:39 PM

I wasn't really hyped for this one earlier. But the recent rumblings and the good reviews have me downloading it now...

Groucho 04-29-21 12:52 PM

Rest and suspend is a good workaround, but what if other people use the console (or any other number of scenarios that would break this)? Not a deal-breaker for me, but it's a very odd decision.

Decker 04-29-21 12:55 PM

Originally Posted by Groucho (Post 13927552)
Rest and suspend is a good workaround, but what if other people use the console (or any other number of scenarios that would break this)? Not a deal-breaker for me, but it's a very odd decision.

If you could save, you could finish the game without "ever dying", right? You would just resume from the last game save. Totally defeats the concept of this game. I do wish you could have some sort of a save feature, but it does kind of break the genre.

Noonan 04-29-21 01:00 PM

Originally Posted by Decker (Post 13927554)
If you could save, you could finish the game without "ever dying", right? You would just resume from the last game save. Totally defeats the concept of this game. I do wish you could have some sort of a save feature, but it does kind of break the genre.

Correct. And you wouldn't lose anything along the way. It would just be a real hard 2-3 hour game. Part of the adventure is deciding if you want to skip to a current biome, fresh or re-play the earlier ones to get some items to help out.

Groucho 04-29-21 01:30 PM

Just delete the save once you resume like other roguelikes.

Noonan 04-29-21 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by Groucho (Post 13927584)
Just delete the save once you resume like other roguelikes.

It's probably harder to do with cloud saves. It would have to somehow delete both local and cloud, otherwise it would be easy to cheese the system.

Decker 04-29-21 02:07 PM

There's no game save feature in Hades during a run.

The Questyen 04-29-21 08:00 PM

Originally Posted by Decker (Post 13927554)

Well no the game is not built to be beaten in a single playthrough. You are meant to loop tons of times unlocking more stuff and lore each time you die. Everything the game has available to offer is not in every run so just starting the same loop from the beginning each time isn't going to do anything for you.

Michael Corvin 04-29-21 09:06 PM

Originally Posted by T-bone22 (Post 13927420)
Games have been at the $60 price point for over 15 years. That $60 game in 2005 was ~$80 in today’s dollars. How long did you honestly expect games to stay at $60? This price raise has been overdue really.

The market today is nothing like 2005.

- The market has exploded, there are a shit ton more consumers now buying games.
- Games are never complete as nearly every one has DLC that probably would have been included a couple generations ago.
- With the switch to digital, packaging, manuals, shipping & distribution costs have all but disappeared.

A quick google shows gaming revenue at $13 billion in 2006 (2005 is a bad year to compare as it was the end of a generation). 2020? $50+ billion (just in consoles & PC, $140 b if you count mobile, Vr and other). That's pretty impressive gain for 'stagnant' prices. So yeah, $70 is kinda ridiculous and an arbitrary jump, IMO.

Also using inflation in 2005 is arbitrary as well. NES games were $50-$60. So if we go by inflation we should be paying $150 for games.

mewmartigan 04-30-21 09:56 AM

I believe it was Sekiro that had a temporary save. You could save your spot anywhere in the world, but once you resume from that point, the save was gone. So it wasn't really a save point, it was just a bookmark so you could resume right where you were when the game was shut off. You could only load it once. Returnal could have something like that if some of the runs are really 2 or 3 hours long.

RichC2 04-30-21 10:14 AM

Games cost a lot more to develop these days. Cleaner textures and more advanced techniques has required an army to keep them going - somehow Grand Theft Auto: Vice City cost a whopping $5m - Rockstar's most expensive at the time, a decade later GTA V cost a solid $265m to make. The Witcher 3 cost $32m vs. Cyberpunk alleged budget of $175m.

I feel like Nintendo is the only one that can't justify $69 prices.

Decker 04-30-21 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by mewmartigan (Post 13928016)
I believe it was Sekiro that had a temporary save. You could save your spot anywhere in the world, but once you resume from that point, the save was gone. So it wasn't really a save point, it was just a bookmark so you could resume right where you were when the game was shut off. You could only load it once. Returnal could have something like that if some of the runs are really 2 or 3 hours long.

That would be nice if it could be implemented.

redbill 04-30-21 11:41 AM

played for about an hour during lunch. aside from the 1st run, which felt like it was pre-planned and destined for death. I'm still on my first "real" run. still learning all the items and terminology. its nice how the pickups are color coded and they show on your map. graphics and sound are amazing. we'll see how I feel after dying. not sure I understand what things carry-over, or how you progress.

nickdawgy 04-30-21 11:50 AM

I’m wondering if I should get this just because I don’t have a true PS5 game yet.

Decker 04-30-21 12:03 PM

It's one of my last GCU preorder purchases. Cost me $55 + tax. So I will pick it up and give it a go. But getting past the second Biome will be a huge achievement for me. Finishing it seems out of the question.

Deftones 04-30-21 01:11 PM

Originally Posted by nickdawgy (Post 13928079)
I’m wondering if I should get this just because I don’t have a true PS5 game yet.

That is sort of my thinking but I may wait a bit. I still have all the backlog of freebies you get with the PS5 as well as Miles Morales. Maybe if the price drops a bit so I won't be so mad after I give up in frustration. :lol:

nickdawgy 04-30-21 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by Deftones (Post 13928117)
That is sort of my thinking but I may wait a bit. I still have all the backlog of freebies you get with the PS5 as well as Miles Morales. Maybe if the price drops a bit so I won't be so mad after I give up in frustration. :lol:

I’m thinking that as well. But if it infuriates the hell out of me I could just eBay it.

The Questyen 04-30-21 09:32 PM

Originally Posted by redbill (Post 13928073)
played for about an hour during lunch. aside from the 1st run, which felt like it was pre-planned and destined for death. I'm still on my first "real" run. still learning all the items and terminology. its nice how the pickups are color coded and they show on your map. graphics and sound are amazing. we'll see how I feel after dying. not sure I understand what things carry-over, or how you progress.

I'm interested to see where you think a death was pre-planned in the first hour. I hit almost the 2 hour mark before I died for the first time and I'm wondering if I was just going a lot slower than you.

lopper 04-30-21 10:43 PM

As I’m playing this I’m still unsure if it was worth full price, but then I see that Translocator visual effect again and I am reassured.

Haven’t played that much but cool game so far.

Decker 05-01-21 01:11 AM

They may not yet be addressing the elephant in the room, but at least they're acknowledging that he's there.

redbill 05-01-21 08:52 AM

Originally Posted by The Questyen (Post 13928291)
I'm interested to see where you think a death was pre-planned in the first hour. I hit almost the 2 hour mark before I died for the first time and I'm wondering if I was just going a lot slower than you.

Spoiler:
My first time was pretty short and linear. Just a few rooms, seemed like a tutorial. Picked up the weapon from myself (which I have since rebooted with). And it ended by an enemy which killed me pretty quickly, and didn't seem like it was meant to beat. Then it went to a cut-scene for a reboot and splashed the title: Returnal.