Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Smash Bros - Switch

Old 11-11-20, 10:19 AM

Received 60 Likes on 37 Posts
Smash Bros - Switch

Got a Switch a few months back and have a lot of free time right now. Been a Smash Bros player since N64 and always have a good time with it. I think I'm done with the game now and just wanted to share some thoughts and see what other think.

Pros:

- Very fun to play, the adventure mode was awesome and very addictive
- Lots of great characters and stages look great
- Gameplay is very responsive, and I only experienced a few cheap deaths.
- Layout and moves have remained the same. The items are fun and cool to see, but very cheap and any true smash player always turns items off.

Cons:

- Online play is a toss up. You either get someone who is clearly a rookie, someone who fits your skill level, or for the most part, you play someone who clearly has put hours and hours into the game and just destroys you. i'm talking harder than the harderst computer enemy even. And since you can't trash talk or message them, it gets pretty negative quick. When playing with friends on past versions, you can at least shit talk one another or jokingly make comments. Instead you just get destroyed and left dejected.
- Spirits I think are enjoyable and add some depth to the game. I'm using the spirit board to get stronger spirits, but what's really really really cheap, is even after beating a hard match (trying to get a 4 star spirit), you still have to play this stupid mini-game where you have to shoot a laser in this very narrow margin to truly unlock it. Just feels way too cheap and just isn't fun. I'm guessing they added this to try to extend the life of the game. Sure you can get a second try, but if you don't have the shield separator or slow down thing, you just wasted your time because it's impossible.
- Once you beat the main adventure story-mode, the game loses replay value dramatically. The spirit board thing is fine, but the rest of the modes are either too easy or just redundant. I wish they had a way of making online battles better. I know the GSP thing is supposed to regulate that, but it's not good enough for a multi million dollar company. I'm not looking for an experience where it feels like I'm playing Street Fighter for the first time and going up against a pro player.

Last topic, truly sucks getting older and not having in person friends who play smash bros anymore. My buddies I played with growing up have all moved away or are married with kids and have no time. I'm sure if I was 15 right now playing against friends in person, this would be amazing like how N64 was for me.
Old 03-04-23, 12:08 AM
Banned

Received 111 Likes on 69 Posts
Re: Smash Bros - Switch

Surprised to not see any discussion on this game, specially with the amount of third party characters that Nintendo added to this Switch Ultimate edition. Just got the game and was wondering, is the only way to get several of the third party characters is by buying the two bundle passes? Do these bundle passes ever go on sale? I would like to unlock all the characters but Bundle 1 is $25 and Bundle 2 is $30. A little pricey to say the least.
Old 03-08-23, 11:16 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 183 Likes on 125 Posts

I bought this months ago and played it for a while and lost interest. Then I just randomly picked it up and unlocked all the playable characters (Kirby was my go to for this). I was fun, but unlike Maro Kart, I get my rear handed to me pretty much every match online, lol.
The following users liked this post:
steebo777 (03-09-23)
Old 03-09-23, 03:41 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

Excellent game, but I am just not that good at it like others are. Still fun to play with friends around.
Old 03-11-23, 07:37 PM
Banned

The game is very good, with probably the largest cast of characters ever assembled in one game. My only issue so far is that the story mode has become repetitive. The Wii version had a really good story with great cutscenes. This one is just acquiring spirits throughout the campaign and unlocking characters every now and then.

My only question so far: is there any Nintendo or Capcom character missing? The only one I wish was a playable character so far is Arthur from Ghost & Goblins. He fits perfectly into the game and has been in a fighting engine before with the Marvel vs Capcom series.
Old 03-13-23, 08:27 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,928 Likes on 1,491 Posts

Originally Posted by The Spectre
The game is very good, with probably the largest cast of characters ever assembled in one game. My only issue so far is that the story mode has become repetitive. The Wii version had a really good story with great cutscenes. This one is just acquiring spirits throughout the campaign and unlocking characters every now and then.

My only question so far: is there any Nintendo or Capcom character missing? The only one I wish was a playable character so far is Arthur from Ghost & Goblins. He fits perfectly into the game and has been in a fighting engine before with the Marvel vs Capcom series.
I mean there are tons of Capcom characters missing and a lot of Nintendo ones too, depending on how deep you get into the lore. Just look at all the spirits. Like just from Mario there's no Toad or Waluigi for instance, and capcom has a metric ton of fighting games alone they could pull from. That said they can't include everyone and I think they did a fantastic job with some third party characters that were pretty surprising (though Steve seemingly breaks the game a bit)

I'm still kind of shocked they put Bayonetta in this.
Old 03-13-23, 09:21 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by fujishig
I mean there are tons of Capcom characters missing and a lot of Nintendo ones too, depending on how deep you get into the lore. Just look at all the spirits. Like just from Mario there's no Toad or Waluigi for instance, and capcom has a metric ton of fighting games alone they could pull from. That said they can't include everyone and I think they did a fantastic job with some third party characters that were pretty surprising (though Steve seemingly breaks the game a bit)

I'm still kind of shocked they put Bayonetta in this.
On my post above, I was referring to both playable characters and spirits included. It feels like everyone is there from both Nintendo and Capcom. I've seen multiple Street Fighter characters as spirits and some really obscure characters from Capcom appear randomly in the game.

I'm shocked about seeing the Mickey logo on the game. Wonder how close we were to getting a Disney character in Smash Bros.
Old 03-13-23, 09:27 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,928 Likes on 1,491 Posts

Oh yeah if you're talking spirits, I think they cover almost everything that's not like brand new. I wonder if anyone's done a deep dive.

Sora is technically a Disney character, I believe.
Old 03-17-23, 10:12 PM
Banned

It seems that 99% of the Atari/Namco characters are in the game too. Seen Mappy, Galaga and Pong already. Would love if Sega licenses other characters besides the Sonic family for future games. Someone like Alex Kidd and Shinobi would fit in Smash perfectly.
Old 03-19-23, 05:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 806 Likes on 680 Posts

I really liked this Smash Bros. Tons of characters with interesting, unique level designs. Online play was very competitive last I checked, but it's been awhile for me. This is one game great to play through with a friend.
Old 03-19-23, 08:47 PM
Banned

Even though it's repetitive, I'm liking the strategy during the story mode. And more surprising characters keep popping up like Rayman. I feel like the only characters missing are Kid Niki, Mighty Bomb Jack and Popeye
Old 03-19-23, 10:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 552 Likes on 403 Posts

I do not like the thread title not having the full name of the game in it.
The following users liked this post:
steebo777 (03-20-23)