Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Candy Crush Saga

Old 06-24-13, 04:50 PM
  #1  
DVD Talk Legend
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 11,481
Candy Crush Saga



Anyone else playing this? I like the game it's really addicting but I hate how a lot of it is pay to play. They make the levels so hard that you're tempted to spend real money. So far I have not spent a penny on it. One powerup is something like $40!

Finished level 35 but in order to progress i need to Get three tickets from friends. I've turned into a spammer
Oh and I've sent ticket requests out and the friends have told me they sent me tickets but it still wont show up anywhere on my FB. Looked on google and a lot of other people have been having the same problems.
mhg83 is offline  
Old 06-24-13, 04:52 PM
  #2  
DVD Talk Hero
 
davidh777's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Home of 2013 NFL champion Seahawks
Posts: 41,617
Re: Candy Crush Saga

I've been wondering whether this is worth trying. Seems like a lot of people I know are playing.

I'm so lame that hard levels are usually a deal-breaker for me.
davidh777 is online now  
Old 06-24-13, 05:02 PM
  #3  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Posts: 27,495
Re: Candy Crush Saga

Here's a good write up from grantland:

http://www.grantland.com/blog/hollyw...little-inferno

It really is a good way to convince people to part with their money/get other people addicted. I'm also stuck at the part where you have to get tickets from three other people. There's a good point in the article that talks about how it seems like these powerups that cost money are so awesome, but within a few episodes those powerups become pretty worthless and you're back wanting more.
fujishig is offline  
Old 06-24-13, 05:03 PM
  #4  
DVD Talk Legend
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 11,481
Re: Candy Crush Saga

Originally Posted by davidh777 View Post
I've been wondering whether this is worth trying. Seems like a lot of people I know are playing.

I'm so lame that hard levels are usually a deal-breaker for me.
I have a working theory that the hard difficulty is more of a rigged game. I've played the same levels for days and no luck but at one point the correct candies will fall into place. It doesn't seem randomized and at a certain point the developers will let you pass to the next level.

Another example of it being rigged. There was a level where I got a candy bomb that was sitting right next to one of the Jellies. It blows up but never destroys the Jelly!
mhg83 is offline  
Old 06-24-13, 05:12 PM
  #5  
Moderator
 
Groucho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Salt Lake City, Utah
Posts: 70,829
Re: Candy Crush Saga

Isn't this just a match 3 game? What's the big deal?
Groucho is offline  
Old 06-24-13, 05:41 PM
  #6  
Senior Member
 
zelebron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Somewhere
Posts: 394
Re: Candy Crush Saga

Some levels have objectives that you need to fulfill and there are some obstacles, like the spreading chocolate and timed bombs (unless you get rid of them before they reach 0), that make some levels hard.
zelebron is offline  
Old 06-24-13, 05:51 PM
  #7  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Wolf359's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Dallas TX
Posts: 1,891
Re: Candy Crush Saga

Seriously, don't start. It's bizarrely addictive but some levels are so difficult it's very not fun. I'm on level 91 now and I've been stuck for weeks.

One thing to know if you do play is that you get some free power ups if you play on your pc, but nothing is free using the phone app.
Wolf359 is online now  
Old 06-24-13, 06:17 PM
  #8  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: Idaho Falls, ID USA
Posts: 459
Re: Candy Crush Saga

I played for a while and got stuck on level 135 for a long time and then am now stuck on level 136... It's too hard to be fun any more and it seems as if one is mostly relying more on luck than skill once you get up to these levels.
AdamGott is offline  
Old 06-24-13, 06:36 PM
  #9  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Bremerton WA
Posts: 5,590
Re: Candy Crush Saga

Level 180 without spending a dollar. Don't know if that's a brag or a cry for help.
Nesbit is offline  
Old 06-24-13, 08:07 PM
  #10  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Obi-Wan Jabroni's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Detroit
Posts: 10,685
Re: Candy Crush Saga

I played it for a couple of hours a month or 2 ago and its just another bejeweled. I don't care. I get at least 2 or three requests from friends a day though. I'm thinking of deleting and blocking the app.
Obi-Wan Jabroni is offline  
Old 06-24-13, 08:38 PM
  #11  
DVD Talk Legend
 
dsa_shea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Tulsa, Oklahoma
Posts: 19,672
Re: Candy Crush Saga

I'm on level 258 right now and went from 212 to 258 over the weekend and today. It is a fun game to play. Also, if you play on your phone you can reset your lives and get a fresh batch of five for free. Close the game. Go to your time settings and change the time setting from automatic to manual. Then set the time at least three hours ahead. Open the game again and watch your lives reappear. Before you play with any of those lives you need to leave the game and go back to the time settings and switch it back to automatic. Rinse and repeat as you need lives. Some levels just rely on persistence and not giving up.
dsa_shea is online now  
Old 06-24-13, 09:54 PM
  #12  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
fumanstan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Irvine, CA
Posts: 55,343
Re: Candy Crush Saga

It's definitely addicting, but I stopped a few weeks ago. I think I was around level 120 or so without buying anything.
fumanstan is offline  
Old 06-24-13, 10:04 PM
  #13  
DVD Talk Legend
 
spainlinx0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: NJ
Posts: 14,764
Re: Candy Crush Saga

Originally Posted by dsa_shea View Post
I'm on level 258 right now and went from 212 to 258 over the weekend and today. It is a fun game to play. Also, if you play on your phone you can reset your lives and get a fresh batch of five for free. Close the game. Go to your time settings and change the time setting from automatic to manual. Then set the time at least three hours ahead. Open the game again and watch your lives reappear. Before you play with any of those lives you need to leave the game and go back to the time settings and switch it back to automatic. Rinse and repeat as you need lives. Some levels just rely on persistence and not giving up.
Yup I figured that trick out early on. I refuse to pay money for that nonsense. I only play on my girlfriend's tablet, and I'm on level 81 or so, but I rarely ever play, and am probably mostly done.

There is some skill, but a lot of times it is just the luck of the draw when it comes to what candy falls.
spainlinx0 is offline  
Old 06-24-13, 10:09 PM
  #14  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 38,979
Re: Candy Crush Saga

The match 3 games are the mobile version of the FPS - repackaged a million ways and still popular as hell.
RichC2 is offline  
Old 06-25-13, 12:35 PM
  #15  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
DJariya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: La Palma, CA
Posts: 55,762
Re: Candy Crush Saga

Does anyone know how to turn off the Facebook alerts every time someone sends me lives?

I like getting the lives, but I don't need my smartphone/Facebook page to alert me every time I get one.
DJariya is online now  
Old 06-25-13, 03:13 PM
  #16  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
Michael Corvin's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 1999
Location: Louisville, KY
Posts: 57,480
Re: Candy Crush Saga

Originally Posted by Groucho View Post
Isn't this just a match 3 game? What's the big deal?
yes and ridiculously lame if you've ever played other match-3 game. I see it as a match-3 game for soccer moms.
Michael Corvin is offline  
Old 06-25-13, 03:24 PM
  #17  
DVD Talk Hero
 
davidh777's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Home of 2013 NFL champion Seahawks
Posts: 41,617
Re: Candy Crush Saga

Originally Posted by Wolf359 View Post
Seriously, don't start. It's bizarrely addictive but some levels are so difficult it's very not fun. I'm on level 91 now and I've been stuck for weeks.
I think this is the way to go for me.

I really liked Kingdom Rush but it quickly got so hard without powerups that it wasn't fun for me. I finally got through the main levels but got destroyed in the bonuses.
davidh777 is online now  
Old 06-25-13, 03:27 PM
  #18  
DVD Talk Hero
 
nickdawgy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Southern Cal-ee-for-nee
Posts: 29,285
Re: Candy Crush Saga

My wife plays it. Level 250+ or close to it and she hasn't bought anything.

I never bothered to get into it.
nickdawgy is offline  
Old 06-25-13, 05:31 PM
  #19  
DVD Talk Legend
 
dsa_shea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Tulsa, Oklahoma
Posts: 19,672
Re: Candy Crush Saga

Level 267 is a pain. You have to score 100,000 in 90 seconds while worrying about bombs and those damn reproducing chocolate. Ugh!
dsa_shea is online now  
Old 06-26-13, 08:53 AM
  #20  
wlj
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
wlj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: Tobacco Road
Posts: 3,187
Re: Candy Crush Saga

my wife is pretty addicted to it. i play it some, but once i get stuck on a level i lose interest. She will sit there for an hour trying to pass it. This game is her World of Warcraft.
wlj is offline  
Old 06-27-13, 06:52 PM
  #21  
DVD Talk Legend
 
dsa_shea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Tulsa, Oklahoma
Posts: 19,672
Re: Candy Crush Saga

Just hit level 300! Woot! I seriously need to finish this as it is keeping me from my console games.
dsa_shea is online now  
Old 06-27-13, 08:26 PM
  #22  
DVD Talk Legend
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 11,481
Re: Candy Crush Saga

Originally Posted by dsa_shea View Post
Just hit level 300! Woot! I seriously need to finish this as it is keeping me from my console games.
It never ends!
mhg83 is offline  
Old 06-27-13, 08:34 PM
  #23  
Cool New Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 44
Re: Candy Crush Saga

Originally Posted by mhg83 View Post
Anyone else playing this? I like the game it's really addicting but I hate how a lot of it is pay to play. They make the levels so hard that you're tempted to spend real money. So far I have not spent a penny on it. One powerup is something like $40!

Finished level 35 but in order to progress i need to Get three tickets from friends. I've turned into a spammer
Oh and I've sent ticket requests out and the friends have told me they sent me tickets but it still wont show up anywhere on my FB. Looked on google and a lot of other people have been having the same problems.
Just unlink your account to FB. I linked my account once and promptly unlinked it when I found out I had to spam friends for lives and tickets. You can progress just fine albeit with more patience. Once you get to the"crossroads" you just have to beat three levels to proceed. The bad thing is that you have to wait 24hours before playing the next level. So it will take you a minimum of three days to beat the "station" and proceed to the next stage.

Originally Posted by DJariya View Post
Does anyone know how to turn off the Facebook alerts every time someone sends me lives?

I like getting the lives, but I don't need my smartphone/Facebook page to alert me every time I get one.
Settings, apps, Candy Crush, uncheck "receive notifications," if IIRC.

Last edited by ka11ima; 06-27-13 at 11:40 PM. Reason: Information error
ka11ima is offline  
Old 06-27-13, 11:20 PM
  #24  
DVD Talk Legend
 
dsa_shea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Tulsa, Oklahoma
Posts: 19,672
Re: Candy Crush Saga

Originally Posted by mhg83 View Post
It never ends!
Actually, level 350 is the end of the game proper. They have added a couple of sets of levels after that. I think it is up to 390 or so. I'm on 302 so I the end is inching closer.
dsa_shea is online now  
Old 06-28-13, 11:08 AM
  #25  
New Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 1
Re: Candy Crush Saga - Keep playing by watching their video ads

I've been playing for a few months now. I'm on level 323. I've been playing, even when my lives are up because if you keep hitting the x button, it takes you to a video advertisemet you can watch for a free life. Well, yesterday that stopped working and today I was able to watch a few advertisements, then -- nothing -- won't bring any more up. Anyone else been doing this? and is it still working for you?
kathy0209 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.