Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Would you wait for better performance for a game that will be out for newer, faster system?

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games
View Poll Results: Would you wait for better performance for a game that will be out for newer, faster system?
Yes, I would wait no matter when getting.
0%
No, I would not wait and just play on what i have (current gen) and that'll be fine.
0%
Both. Play what I can on current and if get newer sooner rather than later switch over.
0%
Other (please specify...)
0%
What are you high?
100.00%
Voters: 1. You may not vote on this poll

Would you wait for better performance for a game that will be out for newer, faster system?

Old 10-02-20, 01:10 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 133 Likes on 117 Posts

So what i mean, if you had Control Ultimate Edition which will be optimized for performance and efficiency and simply play better and faster on Series X, but can also play on One, of course, or Halo: Infinite (you can get on current or better performing new gen) or perhaps new Ratchet and Clank that will come out on both systems in Sony world, would you wait to play them on better system (if getting right away certainly yes, i'd imagine) or fine playing them on current gen now, until you decide to upgrade?

i am in such a quandry because of this Control situation. i'm knee deep, addicted, loving, 4 missions left in main, then DLC's, but die and load times are really excruciating. I saw the load times on Series X, are cut exponentially, to seconds, but i am loving and want to finish.

i am not guaranteed one on release. maybe then or soon after, if i can save the money, which should be able to. will come to around $640 for gratuity assuming i have to pay sales tax which i'm not sure i will considering friend of friend is wholesale retail or something (nothing illegal whatsoever) and just gets off truck. so not sure if will pay tax or just $500+$100 which is perfectly fine with me if i can get around release.

but, i am so tempted to play another game and then come back to Control when it is optimized and cut down all of this, take you out of play, damn high load times. i really want to continue and still ways off for better, but so undecided. i could play the remastered Crysis which i don't care if optimized or not for next gen...

so if you were waiting on game system for little while, would you wait to play a game you can on current gen and be fine with it or would have rather wait months to a year and play it on the better system?
Old 10-02-20, 01:24 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 279 Likes on 193 Posts
Re: Would you wait for better performance for a game that will be out for newer, faster system?

The short answer is "yes". The more accurate one is "it depends".

There was a part of me that was strongly considering waiting on Ghost of Tsushima and maybe even Last of Us Part II, assuming they'd have some souped-up options once the PS5 launched. I'm glad I didn't wait in those cases, especially since -- at least as things stand now -- Sony hasn't said a word about how those games will benefit.

I have Watch_Dogs: Legion preordered, but I won't play it for a couple of weeks as I wait for the Xbox Series X to be released. But that's such a brief window to wait that it's really not a big deal. Cyberpunk 2077 I'm iffier on, and it'll come down to how far off the next-gen version is. If it's, say, 9 months from launch, I'd probably just go ahead and play it. But if it's due in March, I might just wait, because I'm probably only going to play through it once, so it might as well be the ultimate version.
Old 10-02-20, 01:26 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Legend

Received 233 Likes on 169 Posts
Re: Would you wait for better performance for a game that will be out for newer, faster system?

If I'm that far into a game, I'll just finish it on the console I'm playing it on. Especially in a case like Control, where there's absolutely zero sign of "Smart Delivery" (game saves being compatible across consoles), so yeah... just play the game.
Old 10-02-20, 01:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 336 Likes on 258 Posts

Yeah, if I'm most of the way through I'd just continue. If it's in my backlog and I either haven't started and/or I've completely forgotten what's going on, I probably wait.
Old 10-02-20, 01:39 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 133 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan View Post
If I'm that far into a game, I'll just finish it on the console I'm playing it on. Especially in a case like Control, where there's absolutely zero sign of "Smart Delivery" (game saves being compatible across consoles), so yeah... just play the game.
you know, even if i had to start over, i don't think i mind with how much fun i am having with game. i'm sure if i can transfer the game to SDD in Series X, it would be optimized and keep original save, no?
Old 10-02-20, 01:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 129 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by Adam Tyner View Post
The short answer is "yes". The more accurate one is "it depends".

There was a part of me that was strongly considering waiting on Ghost of Tsushima and maybe even Last of Us Part II, assuming they'd have some souped-up options once the PS5 launched. I'm glad I didn't wait in those cases, especially since -- at least as things stand now -- Sony hasn't said a word about how those games will benefit.

I have Watch_Dogs: Legion preordered, but I won't play it for a couple of weeks as I wait for the Xbox Series X to be released. But that's such a brief window to wait that it's really not a big deal. Cyberpunk 2077 I'm iffier on, and it'll come down to how far off the next-gen version is. If it's, say, 9 months from launch, I'd probably just go ahead and play it. But if it's due in March, I might just wait, because I'm probably only going to play through it once, so it might as well be the ultimate version.
Cyberpunk is still supposed to have better performance on Day 1, it just won't have the higher resolution textures -- right?
Old 10-02-20, 03:04 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Legend

Received 233 Likes on 169 Posts

^ yes. That's the theory at the moment.
Old 10-02-20, 03:19 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 279 Likes on 193 Posts

Originally Posted by RichC2 View Post
Cyberpunk is still supposed to have better performance on Day 1, it just won't have the higher resolution textures -- right?
I'd imagine it'll be one of those things where the PS4/XB1 versions have dynamic resolution, and the PS5/XBSX have enough horsepower to keep that maxed out. But yeah, things like raytracing and all that would be reserved for the true PS5/XBSX release, whenever that is.
Old 10-02-20, 03:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 129 Likes on 102 Posts

Yeah that makes sense. I hope raytraving takes off now that the consoles support it, Control's lighting and reflections added a lot to the creepy atmosphere it has going.