Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Balan Wonderworld (PC, PS4, PS5, Xbox, Switch) - 3/26/21

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Balan Wonderworld (PC, PS4, PS5, Xbox, Switch) - 3/26/21

Old 04-03-21, 10:16 PM
  #51  
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY
 
OldBoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Are any of us really anywhere?
Posts: 44,768
Received 369 Likes on 327 Posts
Re: Balan Wonderworld (PC, PS4, PS5, Xbox, Switch) - 3/26/21

Originally Posted by The Questyen View Post
So I'm up through world 4 and surprisingly it's a solid platformer. They tightened up the controls and camera from how it was in the demo and it looks great on a PS5. Most of the really bad reviews seem to be for the Switch version which runs like shit but it runs perfectly fine on a PS5.
I mean don’t get me wrong, I still totally respect your recommendations and love your year end best thread, and now you have me itching to pull trigger again. But, really Quest? Worth it? Those numbers are lowest I’ve ever seen for a game I was interested in and lowest of any game I’ve seen in some time.
Old 04-04-21, 11:23 PM
  #52  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
The Questyen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Arizona
Posts: 4,688
Received 323 Likes on 237 Posts
Re: Balan Wonderworld (PC, PS4, PS5, Xbox, Switch) - 3/26/21

Wrapped it up a little while ago. Like I said earlier I don't really see the aggressive hate for this game. It's an average platformer which if you're a big fan of those then I would recommend because it does look great and has a level of weirdness/charm that reeled me in. The costume system is really the only big thing I'd fix. There are 80 costumes in the game but a ton of them are just variations on the same thing so you end up with like 20 unique ones that you would need to use. The shitty thing about the system is that some of the Balan statues (the collectibles in the game of which you need to find at least 110 throughout the game to unlock all the levels) require you to bring in a costume from another level to get them. You also lose the costume after 1 hit so if you need lets say the "Air Cat" costume to float and get a statue in world 2 then you need to go to world 6 (which is where the Air Cat costume is) get the costume exit out and then go to world 2 with that costume. If you lose the costume in the level then you need to go back to world 6 to get another one. They should have just let you have access to any costume you unlocked at the beginning of each level. There are 228 statues in the game and I can't even imagine trying to get them all with the costume requirements. It took me like 8 hours or so to play through the game and I would imagine it would take 50+ more just to get all of those statues.

But overall I enjoyed it. The controls and camera like I mentioned were cleaned up from the demo and I liked how every little 2 level world had it's own little story and character that you were helping with. They all were unique and sometimes very bizarre but it made the game stand out from your average platformer. Also the music is fantastic. Upon beating the game it unlocked some more levels so I'll play through those at a later time. So yeah the last 3 PS5 games I played were Maquette, The Avengers, and Balan Wonderworld and I enjoyed this the most out of the 3.
The following users liked this post:
Adam Tyner (04-25-21)
Old 04-25-21, 10:57 AM
  #53  
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner
 
Decker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Vegas, Baby!
Posts: 58,495
Received 2,363 Likes on 1,531 Posts
Re: Balan Wonderworld (PC, PS4, PS5, Xbox, Switch) - 3/26/21

Old 04-27-21, 11:12 PM
  #54  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Gizmo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: Formerly known as "GizmoDVD"/Southern CA
Posts: 31,096
Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts
Re: Balan Wonderworld (PC, PS4, PS5, Xbox, Switch) - 3/26/21

Originally Posted by The Questyen View Post
Wrapped it up a little while ago. Like I said earlier I don't really see the aggressive hate for this game. It's an average platformer which if you're a big fan of those then I would recommend because it does look great and has a level of weirdness/charm that reeled me in. The costume system is really the only big thing I'd fix. There are 80 costumes in the game but a ton of them are just variations on the same thing so you end up with like 20 unique ones that you would need to use. The shitty thing about the system is that some of the Balan statues (the collectibles in the game of which you need to find at least 110 throughout the game to unlock all the levels) require you to bring in a costume from another level to get them. You also lose the costume after 1 hit so if you need lets say the "Air Cat" costume to float and get a statue in world 2 then you need to go to world 6 (which is where the Air Cat costume is) get the costume exit out and then go to world 2 with that costume. If you lose the costume in the level then you need to go back to world 6 to get another one. They should have just let you have access to any costume you unlocked at the beginning of each level. There are 228 statues in the game and I can't even imagine trying to get them all with the costume requirements. It took me like 8 hours or so to play through the game and I would imagine it would take 50+ more just to get all of those statues.

But overall I enjoyed it. The controls and camera like I mentioned were cleaned up from the demo and I liked how every little 2 level world had it's own little story and character that you were helping with. They all were unique and sometimes very bizarre but it made the game stand out from your average platformer. Also the music is fantastic. Upon beating the game it unlocked some more levels so I'll play through those at a later time. So yeah the last 3 PS5 games I played were Maquette, The Avengers, and Balan Wonderworld and I enjoyed this the most out of the 3.

Thanks. I bit on the PS5 version. It looks decent enough for $40
Old 04-28-21, 02:41 PM
  #55  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Posts: 37,155
Received 905 Likes on 709 Posts
Re: Balan Wonderworld (PC, PS4, PS5, Xbox, Switch) - 3/26/21

PSN version is down to 40 and change. But at this point I'll wait for the freefall.
Old 04-28-21, 08:51 PM
  #56  
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY
 
OldBoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Are any of us really anywhere?
Posts: 44,768
Received 369 Likes on 327 Posts
Re: Balan Wonderworld (PC, PS4, PS5, Xbox, Switch) - 3/26/21

Yeah, I want digital anyway and have PLENTY to keep me busy for years. I did love look at first and have yet to play demo, but reviews have me a little disengaged.

NM...digital is $40.19 on MS for next 7 days. So... bought.
Old 04-28-21, 09:48 PM
  #57  
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY
 
OldBoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Are any of us really anywhere?
Posts: 44,768
Received 369 Likes on 327 Posts
Re: Balan Wonderworld (PC, PS4, PS5, Xbox, Switch) - 3/26/21

Wow. After seeing this I reconsidered...

https://www.ign.com/articles/balan-wonderworld-review
Old 04-29-21, 08:43 PM
  #58  
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY
 
OldBoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Are any of us really anywhere?
Posts: 44,768
Received 369 Likes on 327 Posts
Re: Balan Wonderworld (PC, PS4, PS5, Xbox, Switch) - 3/26/21

Originally Posted by The Questyen View Post
Wrapped it up a little while ago. Like I said earlier I don't really see the aggressive hate for this game. It's an average platformer which if you're a big fan of those then I would recommend because it does look great and has a level of weirdness/charm that reeled me in. The costume system is really the only big thing I'd fix. There are 80 costumes in the game but a ton of them are just variations on the same thing so you end up with like 20 unique ones that you would need to use. The shitty thing about the system is that some of the Balan statues (the collectibles in the game of which you need to find at least 110 throughout the game to unlock all the levels) require you to bring in a costume from another level to get them. You also lose the costume after 1 hit so if you need lets say the "Air Cat" costume to float and get a statue in world 2 then you need to go to world 6 (which is where the Air Cat costume is) get the costume exit out and then go to world 2 with that costume. If you lose the costume in the level then you need to go back to world 6 to get another one. They should have just let you have access to any costume you unlocked at the beginning of each level. There are 228 statues in the game and I can't even imagine trying to get them all with the costume requirements. It took me like 8 hours or so to play through the game and I would imagine it would take 50+ more just to get all of those statues.

But overall I enjoyed it. The controls and camera like I mentioned were cleaned up from the demo and I liked how every little 2 level world had it's own little story and character that you were helping with. They all were unique and sometimes very bizarre but it made the game stand out from your average platformer. Also the music is fantastic. Upon beating the game it unlocked some more levels so I'll play through those at a later time. So yeah the last 3 PS5 games I played were Maquette, The Avengers, and Balan Wonderworld and I enjoyed this the most out of the 3.
Quest. I revere your yearly thread and trust your seemingly infinite wisdom on everything gaming. I think you know some of my gaming likes. I love platformers of old, but usually donít and havenít played, unless you consider Ori, which kinda is, but certainly not 3D platformer. What you say, I will do: should I get digital for Series X for $40.19?
Old 04-29-21, 08:55 PM
  #59  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
The Questyen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Arizona
Posts: 4,688
Received 323 Likes on 237 Posts
Re: Balan Wonderworld (PC, PS4, PS5, Xbox, Switch) - 3/26/21

I would say no. Like I mentioned it's an average platformer at best so I wouldn't recommend it to someone just because they like platformers. My main appreciation of it is for it's weirdness and story which is not going to be enough for most people. Like fujishig said it's only going to go lower in price so you might as well wait.

If you're looking for a platformer to play on Series X I would more highly recommend New Super Lucky's Tale (not regular Super Lucky's Tale) which is a fantastic 3D platformer.
Old 04-29-21, 09:00 PM
  #60  
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY
 
OldBoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Are any of us really anywhere?
Posts: 44,768
Received 369 Likes on 327 Posts
Re: Balan Wonderworld (PC, PS4, PS5, Xbox, Switch) - 3/26/21

Originally Posted by The Questyen View Post
I would say no. Like I mentioned it's an average platformer at best so I wouldn't recommend it to someone just because they like platformers. My main appreciation of it is for it's weirdness and story which is not going to be enough for most people. Like fujishig said it's only going to go lower in price so you might as well wait.

If you're looking for a platformer to play on Series X I would more highly recommend New Super Lucky's Tale (not regular Super Lucky's Tale) which is a fantastic 3D platformer.
ok. done. Though I do love the look and weirdness too. I actually think I have NSLT. If not I’ll get and wait on this. Thanks again.
Old 04-29-21, 09:16 PM
  #61  
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY
 
OldBoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Are any of us really anywhere?
Posts: 44,768
Received 369 Likes on 327 Posts
Re: Balan Wonderworld (PC, PS4, PS5, Xbox, Switch) - 3/26/21

It’s on Game Pass, so I guess no reason to own even though like $24 bux.
Old 05-01-21, 11:08 AM
  #62  
DVD Talk Legend
 
milo bloom's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Chicago suburbs
Posts: 15,845
Received 669 Likes on 508 Posts
Re: Balan Wonderworld (PC, PS4, PS5, Xbox, Switch) - 3/26/21

Borrowed it from the library and played the first couple sections. Thereís nothing inherently bad about it but it was just boring. Glad I didnít drop any money on it.
Old 07-22-21, 07:28 PM
  #63  
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY
 
OldBoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Are any of us really anywhere?
Posts: 44,768
Received 369 Likes on 327 Posts
Re: Balan Wonderworld (PC, PS4, PS5, Xbox, Switch) - 3/26/21

This is $20 at MS for next 2 weeks. Itís tempting. I really wanted when I first saw trailer way back, but so widely panned, I balked. I know Quest liked it and he has the gaming smarts. It was $40 digital and now $20. No real itch to play rn so maybe wait till GP. I dunno.
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/p/ba...ot:overviewtab
Old 09-28-21, 07:26 PM
  #64  
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY
 
OldBoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Are any of us really anywhere?
Posts: 44,768
Received 369 Likes on 327 Posts
Re: Balan Wonderworld (PC, PS4, PS5, Xbox, Switch) - 3/26/21

anyone think this is worth $20 for digital?
Old 09-28-21, 08:45 PM
  #65  
DVD Talk Legend
 
milo bloom's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Chicago suburbs
Posts: 15,845
Received 669 Likes on 508 Posts
Re: Balan Wonderworld (PC, PS4, PS5, Xbox, Switch) - 3/26/21

I borrowed it from the library and I still felt ripped off.
The following users liked this post:
Decker (09-28-21)
Old 09-28-21, 09:34 PM
  #66  
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY
 
OldBoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Are any of us really anywhere?
Posts: 44,768
Received 369 Likes on 327 Posts
Re: Balan Wonderworld (PC, PS4, PS5, Xbox, Switch) - 3/26/21

Wow. That bad. Huh. I guess not even worth it. Too bad. Looked so promising.
Old 09-28-21, 10:30 PM
  #67  
DVD Talk Legend
 
dsa_shea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Tulsa, Oklahoma
Posts: 21,179
Received 141 Likes on 110 Posts
Re: Balan Wonderworld (PC, PS4, PS5, Xbox, Switch) - 3/26/21

You have debated getting this for months. It's time to shit or get off the pot.
The following users liked this post:
The Questyen (09-28-21)
Old 09-29-21, 10:01 AM
  #68  
DVD Talk Legend
 
milo bloom's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Chicago suburbs
Posts: 15,845
Received 669 Likes on 508 Posts
Re: Balan Wonderworld (PC, PS4, PS5, Xbox, Switch) - 3/26/21

Originally Posted by OldBoy View Post
Wow. That bad. Huh. I guess not even worth it. Too bad. Looked so promising.
It played okay. No egregious bugs or such. It was just so bland. Save your time and money and try literally anything else.
Old 09-29-21, 10:46 AM
  #69  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
The Questyen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Arizona
Posts: 4,688
Received 323 Likes on 237 Posts
Re: Balan Wonderworld (PC, PS4, PS5, Xbox, Switch) - 3/26/21

Originally Posted by dsa_shea View Post
You have debated getting this for months. It's time to shit or get off the pot.
Yep. I was the only one here high on the game and even I told him not to buy it.
Old 09-29-21, 07:51 PM
  #70  
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY
 
OldBoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Are any of us really anywhere?
Posts: 44,768
Received 369 Likes on 327 Posts
Re: Balan Wonderworld (PC, PS4, PS5, Xbox, Switch) - 3/26/21

Originally Posted by milo bloom View Post
I borrowed it from the library and I still felt ripped off.
alright. Iím convinced.
Old 09-30-21, 09:14 AM
  #71  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Posts: 17,820
Received 182 Likes on 126 Posts
Re: Balan Wonderworld (PC, PS4, PS5, Xbox, Switch) - 3/26/21

If this isn't $10 or less on Black Friday I will be shocked.
Old 09-30-21, 07:52 PM
  #72  
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY
 
OldBoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Are any of us really anywhere?
Posts: 44,768
Received 369 Likes on 327 Posts
Re: Balan Wonderworld (PC, PS4, PS5, Xbox, Switch) - 3/26/21

I’ll totally wait for Game Pass. Can’t be long now. It’s dying a slow death. At least I can try it more than just demo which haven’t tried yet.
Old 09-30-21, 08:41 PM
  #73  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 42,502
Received 490 Likes on 390 Posts
Re: Balan Wonderworld (PC, PS4, PS5, Xbox, Switch) - 3/26/21

I have Banal Wonderland on my Steam list for a sale cuz why not, it has an 18% among Google Users and I can't believe it's possibly that awful, those fuckers like everything. I'm sure it'll be in a Humble Bundle soon.
Old 09-30-21, 09:08 PM
  #74  
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY
 
OldBoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Are any of us really anywhere?
Posts: 44,768
Received 369 Likes on 327 Posts
Re: Balan Wonderworld (PC, PS4, PS5, Xbox, Switch) - 3/26/21

18% bad on Google? Not familiar with their review system…

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.