Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Which next-generation video game console design do you like better?

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games
View Poll Results: Which next-generation video game console design do you like better?
Xbox Series X
33.33%
PlayStation 5
45.83%
No preference
20.83%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-20, 05:45 PM

Received 33 Likes on 23 Posts

Which next-generation video game console design do you like better? The Xbox Series X or the PlayStation 5?
Old 06-13-20, 06:45 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 120 Likes on 108 Posts
Re: Which next-generation video game console design do you like better?

I've got to say I love the design and look of the PS5....it could be mistaken for a "Thin Tower PC Gaming Rig"....it's design is a big leap over about every other console in the past and huge departure from the Box & Square Look. Already there's size comparisons out there and this is a Hoss....I think it's closer to 17-18 inches tall....I looked at the headphones and used them as a gage, not the Disc Slot.....I much prefer the Stand Up vs the on-the-side...
Old 06-13-20, 08:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,154 Likes on 901 Posts

I don’t particularly love either, but the PS5 at least looks more interesting.
Old 06-13-20, 08:08 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

I like the looks of the PS5 better but I’m not a big fan of either. I like to hide my systems within my entertainment center so looks aren’t extremely important to me. That being the case, a couple things come in to play. Size and color. Both look to be the largest consoles yet which could cause problems with placement, especially the PS5. I also like my components to color match since they are all together and ps5 doesn’t match. That part is trivial, but, as they like to say “size matters”, and it does for me here.
Old 06-13-20, 08:21 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 137 Likes on 106 Posts

I put no preference, but white is one of my least liked colors.
Old 06-13-20, 08:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 243 Likes on 178 Posts

I’m not over the moon about the PS5 design, but what is there to like at all about the Xbox? It’s just a massive fat ass black box.
Old 06-13-20, 10:26 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

I love design, from print design, to web design, to sign design, to package design to console and controller design.

The current gen was an absolute failure of design across the board (PS4, Xbox One & WiiU). Prior to this gen most consoles actually had style or were at least unique in some fashion (even the Foreman PS3 was trying something different). The switch to a generic electronic box this gen was a travesty. I'm glad Sony is trying something different and not just going with a generic box. I like the two tone look with the blue led lights. It definitely sets it apart. I like my consoles front and center as I do enjoy seeing them, versus stashing them in a media rack to never be seen.

I'll probably get a Series X in a few years so hopefully there's a massive redesign at that point.
Old 06-14-20, 12:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 218 Likes on 165 Posts

By the designs of the new consoles, I am going to have to get a bigger entertainment center. There's no way both of them will fit with my current one.
Old 06-14-20, 12:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
The current gen was an absolute failure of design across the board (PS4, Xbox One & WiiU). Prior to this gen most consoles actually had style or were at least unique in some fashion (even the Foreman PS3 was trying something different). The switch to a generic electronic box this gen was a travesty. I'm glad Sony is trying something different and not just going with a generic box. I like the two tone look with the blue led lights. It definitely sets it apart. I like my consoles front and center as I do enjoy seeing them, versus stashing them in a media rack to never be seen.
I actually kinda like the simple look of the Xbox One actually. It blends in with everything else and looks like it fits in. The PS4 wasn’t bad either but I don’t own one.
The following users liked this post:
Deftones (06-14-20)
Old 06-14-20, 12:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 191 Likes on 128 Posts

Series X - easily. It amazes me how PlayStation is still the console that gets the early release content first and is even being put in front already when the new consoles haven't even been released yet. From the rumors going around, their new console is enormous but we'll see.

This is not bashing either - I have just never understood why this console is always put on a pedestal - I have never had the urge to buy one and their exclusive titles never spark my interest at all. I mention this not to be negative but because I know there are a billion others out there like me and who question what goes on behind the scenes.
Old 06-14-20, 01:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I’ve owned various incarnations of both and don’t have a real personal attachment to either. Personally I feel both PlayStation and Xbox are about equal, but PlayStation easily gets better and more exclusives, which I think gives them a slight edge.
Old 06-14-20, 01:15 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

Or go for the KFC.

Old 06-14-20, 01:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 382 Likes on 307 Posts

My X1X is sleek and clean... was hoping for more of the same in the next gen. I don't need whacky, futuristic designs for something being jammed in my entertainment center.
Old 06-14-20, 02:06 PM
Former Member

Received 43 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Rival11
Series X - easily. It amazes me how PlayStation is still the console that gets the early release content first and is even being put in front already when the new consoles haven't even been released yet. From the rumors going around, their new console is enormous but we'll see.

This is not bashing either - I have just never understood why this console is always put on a pedestal - I have never had the urge to buy one and their exclusive titles never spark my interest at all. I mention this not to be negative but because I know there are a billion others out there like me and who question what goes on behind the scenes.
A billion others? A billion people haven’t even bought an Xbox One, not even close....

I like the PlayStation brand better because it has better exclusives. There’s not much more to it than that.
Old 06-14-20, 03:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

Yeah, the exclusives to me are leagues better, but everyone has their own interests in that regard (Forza Horizon is the only series of interest for me on the platform and that's on PC). I don't like the design of either and hope they have a few more tweaks before release. And I say that as somebody with a tower desktop sitting in my living room.

That said, I own both current gen consoles and rarely turn either on -- so I'll probably hold off for a while on buying either new one.

Last edited by RichC2; 06-14-20 at 04:00 PM.
Old 06-14-20, 06:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 191 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by atrium
A billion others? A billion people haven’t even bought an Xbox One, not even close....

I like the PlayStation brand better because it has better exclusives. There’s not much more to it than that.
Calm down, you're getting a little upset.

Ok, there are A LOT of people who are just like me.

And good for you for just stating the opposite of what I said, you could have just made an individual reply instead of quoting my post.

I was stating the obvious with their new bulky design and less powerful system that already has everyone on-board.

Old 06-14-20, 07:35 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

Series X - easily. It amazes me how PlayStation is still the console that gets the early release content first and is even being put in front already when the new consoles haven't even been released yet.

This is not bashing either - I have just never understood why this console is always put on a pedestal -
It's purely a numbers game.

PS4 has outsold Xbox One just over 2:1 (111m to 47m). That means developers go where the audience is, hence early release content and being put in front already for next gen. Also Playstation is a worldwide brand. Xbox is down to the States and a few select countries. They really shot themselves in the foot with the One after they made so much headway with the 360. Of course the 360 RROD probably didn't help in the loyalty department either.

Sony also owns 30 or so gaming studios. Average two games per studio each gen and that's 60 exclusive titles right off the bat. As a former MS fanboy I do have to question anyone that says Sony doesn't have any exclusives for them. That seems statistically impossible with the volume of content they put out. Spider-man alone would probably appeal to most gamers.

I was stating the obvious with their new bulky design and less powerful system that already has everyone on-board.
Is that confirmed? Either way it means little as the most powerful system rarely "wins" the generation. This gen was the rare exception with the more powerful PS4 coming out on top. It's all about where the gamers are and with MS continuing to slide in the worldwide market, I don't see that trend changing anytime soon.

Big ≠ Bulky

The only mainstream system I'd consider "bulky" would be the original Xbox. That thing was a beast.
Old 06-14-20, 07:42 PM
Former Member

Received 43 Likes on 30 Posts

Calm down, you're getting a little upset.

Ok, there are A LOT of people who are just like me.

And good for you for just stating the opposite of what I said, you could have just made an individual reply instead of quoting my post.

I'm not upset, I'm quoting you because I wanted to respond to your conspiracy-laden post specifically to say that it isn't a big conspiracy going on behind the scenes that gamers prefer PlayStation, it's that most agree that they have the edge on exclusives (which is the biggest and most obvious factor for choosing one console over another).

Michael Corvin did a good job explaining how we got to where we are now, too.

You haven't really explained why MS has an edge over Sony, either.
Old 06-14-20, 10:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,407 Likes on 1,030 Posts

I voted for the new Xbox but the PS5 is still nice.
Old 06-15-20, 03:25 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 90 Likes on 77 Posts

PS5 looks like a router. XBOX Series X looks likes a mini-fridge.

Would've liked if the blue on the PS5 was instead purple.

I've never bought an XBOX console of any generation... and this generation hasn't changed my opinion.
Old 06-15-20, 08:02 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts

Based purely on the physical design, the PS5 is "cooler" if still slightly ridiculous.
I have no idea why MS is making theirs look like a UPS or squared-off Echo.
I'm hoping it doesn't require being used vertical, and isn't quite as thick as it looks.
But I don't buy consoles based on the way they look.
Old 06-15-20, 08:12 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,932 Likes on 1,494 Posts

PS4 and Xbox One have felt samey to me for the entire generation, with the only two things sticking out are the greater number of Sony exclusives, and late in life, Xbox Gamepass (which means I rarely buy Xbox exclusives). Otherwise besides the threat of competition keeping prices down, there's very little distinction and I'd be fine with just one surviving, mainly because third parties unless incentivized are going to create similar experiences across both no matter how much more powerful one is over the other.

Of course, part of this is that I'm in the stage of my life where my kids have taken over the main tvs and they're still young enough that we still want to spend most of our time together (I realize that will quickly change) so Nintendo has taken the top spot in terms of playing time. That's probably just me.

Back on topic, I'm not a fan of either design, though I'm sure both will grow on me over time. I'm far past the point where someone will come over and be impressed with something in my home theater because it looks cool, anyway.
Old 06-15-20, 08:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 907 Likes on 669 Posts

PS5 as long as it's at or less than full component length when put horizontally.
Old 06-15-20, 09:54 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts

Xbox. Taking out the fact I am invested in the Xbox ecosystem, the Series X looks like other gaming systems so it fits into entertainment center and looks like it belongs. Also the size of the PS5 appears to be too big to fit into any set up I would prefer.
Old 06-16-20, 11:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 228 Likes on 145 Posts

I picked xbox, simply because it's less embarrassing looking to my non-gamer friends who may come over. But I'm getting the ps5 anyway (eventually ... maybe after the first redesign).

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.