DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Video Game Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk-15/)
-   -   Animal Crossing: New Horizons (3/20/20: Switch) (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk/649903-animal-crossing-new-horizons-3-20-20-switch.html)

The Cow 06-07-20 10:16 PM

Re: Animal Crossing: New Horizons (3/20/20: Switch)

Originally Posted by dsa_shea (Post 13754523)
Cow, did you get the phone booth?

Nope, not yet. Looking for a blue one.

dsa_shea 06-08-20 01:15 AM

Originally Posted by The Cow (Post 13754528)
Nope, not yet. Looking for a blue one.

I could have sworn that I mailed one to you yesterday.

The Cow 06-08-20 08:57 AM

Originally Posted by dsa_shea (Post 13754580)
I could have sworn that I mailed one to you yesterday.

Sorry, I wasn’t on the lookout for mail. I’ll check later today. Oops.

Goldberg74 06-10-20 12:23 PM

My wife’s island has turnips at 614 this afternoon. If there’s any interest, I’ll open up
her island around 4pm Central.

fujishig 06-10-20 12:25 PM

Originally Posted by Goldberg74 (Post 13755884)
My wife’s island has turnips at 614 this afternoon. If there’s any interest, I’ll open up

Oh man, and I missed turnip buying this week (after turning a minimal profit last week).

The Cow 06-10-20 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by Goldberg74 (Post 13755884)

I am amazed at the prices you get. The highest I have ever seen on my island is in the 170s. And today I'm at 56. :lol:

SmackDaddy 06-10-20 03:14 PM

So, I finally reached 4 stars today after adding my Coffee Shop and a Surf Shop on the beach. For those that have played previous versions, do they ever overhaul the offerings after a period of time (like big free updates that add features to other games)? I know they don't change daily and occasionally offer seasonal items. I'm at a point where nothing at the Nook terminal is appealing for what I have in mind (and I hate the 5 item per day limit).

One other complaint....PLEASE streamline the conversation tree for Dodo Airlines!! Sheesh!! Why can't I walk in and say "I'd like to travel via dodo code (or Nook Miles Ticket, or visit a friend online/local)"?? If I'm not mistaken they adjusted Blather's conversation tree to make it a little more streamlined, or did I imagine that?

I'm enjoying the heck out of the game, but certain things seem just slow my roll when I've got an idea on how to change/decorate something.

nickdawgy 06-10-20 11:54 PM

Originally Posted by SmackDaddy (Post 13755978)
So, I finally reached 4 stars today after adding my Coffee Shop and a Surf Shop on the beach. For those that have played previous versions, do they ever overhaul the offerings after a period of time (like big free updates that add features to other games)? I know they don't change daily and occasionally offer seasonal items. I'm at a point where nothing at the Nook terminal is appealing for what I have in mind (and I hate the 5 item per day limit).

One other complaint....PLEASE streamline the conversation tree for Dodo Airlines!! Sheesh!! Why can't I walk in and say "I'd like to travel via dodo code (or Nook Miles Ticket, or visit a friend online/local)"?? If I'm not mistaken they adjusted Blather's conversation tree to make it a little more streamlined, or did I imagine that?

I'm enjoying the heck out of the game, but certain things seem just slow my roll when I've got an idea on how to change/decorate something.

Try mailing a letter.

“I can mail letters here.”
”You want to mail a letter?”
”Someone in this town or someone else?”
”Who do you want to mail it to?”
“What do you want to say?”
”Ok, I sent it.”

Streamline that.

fujishig 06-11-20 09:06 AM

Originally Posted by nickdawgy (Post 13756217)
Try mailing a letter.

“I can mail letters here.”
”You want to mail a letter?”
”Someone in this town or someone else?”
”Who do you want to mail it to?”
“What do you want to say?”
”Ok, I sent it.”

Streamline that.

I think we discussed it before, but lots of baffling, basically time wasting design decisions, and I'm still not sure if it's supposed to be part of the old school charm, if they really don't see an issue with it, or if it's fodder for "upgrades" in later titles.

Simply adding a freaking check mark or some other indication that I already have this version of an item would go so so far. Or letting me buy more than one set of clothes at a time. Letting me stack 100 fruits like I can turnips. Letting me lock down placed items so I don't accidentally pick them up. Not forcing me to craft, twice, every single tool because someone thought it was a great idea to let every single tool break, with no durability meter at all, because don't we all love doing that, it adds so much depth to the gameplay? And that single island per switch, with only one being able to be the primary player and the rest being second class citizens, with no way to switch it out, no way to move characters/saves to a different switch, etc.

dsa_shea 06-11-20 10:56 AM

I started selling my items to the box at a loss to avoid all of the extra nonsensical comversation. Crafting one fish bait at a time is a real bummer. Accidentally picking up a precision placed item while trying to get a branch is as irritating as it gets. There are some very easy fixes to make this game even better. Does Blathers really need to freak out each time you bring him a new insect? Thankfully I only have 2 or 3 more to bring him.

Dan 06-11-20 11:54 AM

So my kid accidentally told one of our villagers that they could leave the island (she clicked through the dialog not realizing until a fraction of a second after it was too late). This was our first villager, so my kid is kind of heartbroken. Is there any way to stop this from happening, or is it a done deal by this point? I know they'll be 'in boxes' tomorrow, then gone the next day... just wondering if there's any way to trigger a dialog tree where you can have them stay after that happens.

If we're pooched, well... if anyone wants Canberra the koala, let me know. You can visit and take her to your island.

SmackDaddy 06-11-20 12:01 PM

Have you tried talking to them since? You would think this would be an option, especially since I'm sure this happens a lot. I click through dialog trees too fast sometimes, so I can see this easily happening.

fujishig 06-11-20 12:02 PM

Originally Posted by Dan (Post 13756390)
So my kid accidentally told one of our villagers that they could leave the island (she clicked through the dialog not realizing until a fraction of a second after it was too late). This was our first villager, so my kid is kind of heartbroken. Is there any way to stop this from happening, or is it a done deal by this point? I know they'll be 'in boxes' tomorrow, then gone the next day... just wondering if there's any way to trigger a dialog tree where you can have them stay after that happens.

If we're pooched, well... if anyone wants Canberra the koala, let me know. You can visit and take her to your island.

Wait, you can steal residents from other islands (or clone them)? How?

I wonder if someone can take her and then you can take them back.

Dan 06-11-20 12:12 PM

Originally Posted by SmackDaddy (Post 13756396)
Have you tried talking to them since? You would think this would be an option, especially since I'm sure this happens a lot. I click through dialog trees too fast sometimes, so I can see this easily happening.

Yep! This is what worked. My wife and kid just called me, excited. So my daughter, as her own character, was the one who told her she could leave. My wife went in, as her own character, and convinced her to stay. Easy peasy. Took them 2 hours to figure that out, but it totally makes sense.

Originally Posted by fujishig (Post 13756397)
Wait, you can steal residents from other islands (or clone them)? How?

Yeah... there's a whole market for this shit. My wife saw someone who was willing to let one of their rare islanders go, but they wanted... I kid you not... 150 Nook Miles Tickets! Insane.
But basically, the character has to be "in boxes" which is when their house is packed up and they're cleaning up. That's the only time someone can swing by and convince them to come to their island instead.

I wonder if someone can take her and then you can take them back.
That was going to be my next request. That someone here take Canberra on for a few days until she wants to leave, then I'd take her back. But it looks like we can avoid that!

The Cow 06-11-20 12:22 PM

How are those people "selling" their islanders able to force a particular one off? Do they only have 1 and then do time travelling voodoo until it wants to leave?

fujishig 06-11-20 12:29 PM

Originally Posted by The Cow (Post 13756410)
How are those people "selling" their islanders able to force a particular one off? Do they only have 1 and then do time travelling voodoo until it wants to leave?

That was my next question. I realize after a while they seemingly randomly ask if you want them to stay or go, but I didn't see a way to force them out, like you used to be able to.

Sorry but, once I have your picture you're free to leave, unless you're just an outstanding conversationalist or something.

My daughter really wants the unicorn though.

SmackDaddy 06-11-20 01:22 PM

The best way is to ignore them enough (takes a few days) that they will ask if they should stay or go. I try and interact with them whenever I happen by them, but I've had a few of them come up to me and ask if they should leave. Look for the thought bubble above their heads, it will usually mean that they are thinking about leaving. There's also a way to do it if you have Animal Crossing Amiibo's that is supposed to be a quicker process (only works when you have 10 residents).

Edison 06-11-20 10:56 PM

Yes, if you invite an amiibo villager 3 times then ask them to move in they will check with resident services and tell you all the home plots are full, but ask if there is someone you want to ask to move on..

If someone visits your campsite they will move in on that visit if there's room, or ask if there is someone you want to ask to move on.

nickdawgy 06-12-20 08:01 PM

The campsite people randomly choose a villager to evict if you give the okay. As far as I know you can’t choose.

Edison 06-13-20 09:38 AM

Originally Posted by nickdawgy (Post 13757233)
The campsite people randomly choose a villager to evict if you give the okay. As far as I know you can’t choose.

Well good thing I declined that then. :) That was only the 2nd campsite person I have seen since building and getting the initial visitor. I use a lot of amiibo cards to get campsite villagers that hopefully want new DIY projects.

I did get the money rock island on a nook miles ticket my 1st "rare" island. I think I only need one more fossil to finish that part of the museum.

I seen this posted on Kotaku, it looks amazing.

dsa_shea 06-13-20 11:06 AM

Let me know what fossil it is. I'm helping my daughter finish her fossil section and have about 60 laying around on my island.

fujishig 06-13-20 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by nickdawgy (Post 13757233)

At least they tell you who it is. But I think you get one chance. Like I finally found someone who wanted to move in, then they wanted to replace a guy who just came and I declined. He never asked again.

I finished my fossils so if anyone is looking for one, I agree, post it here, I basically just keep trexes and other large ones trying to finish second sets, but I have a ton of them.

The Cow 06-13-20 01:32 PM

I'm finally am building up a stash of stars, but only have a couple recipes. Is Celeste the only way to get recipes that use stars?

Adam Tyner 06-13-20 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by fujishig (Post 13757459)
At least they tell you who it is. But I think you get one chance.

There’s a workaround. If they mention a villager you want to keep, immediately press the Home menu button and quit the game. Talk to the camper again, and chances are that they’ll talk about trading places with a different villager. Keep doing that until he/she mentions someone you can live without.

tanman 06-14-20 05:32 AM

Haven't gotten into the fray yet with this game but came in here to ask is it better to get this game on digital or physical media? And more specifically what if you play on multiple switches. Is it easy to transfer your saves and such in between switches?