DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Video Game Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk-15/)
-   -   Animal Crossing: New Horizons (3/20/20: Switch) (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk/649903-animal-crossing-new-horizons-3-20-20-switch.html)

dsa_shea 06-14-20 07:27 AM

Re: Animal Crossing: New Horizons (3/20/20: Switch)

I would get a physical copy. Also, you can't transfer saves between switches, as far as I know. Each Switch it is played on has to have its own island created.

DVDChris 06-14-20 09:12 AM

Originally Posted by tanman (Post 13757709)
Haven't gotten into the fray yet with this game but came in here to ask is it better to get this game on digital or physical media? And more specifically what if you play on multiple switches. Is it easy to transfer your saves and such in between switches?

If you have multiple people wanting to play at the same time with different islands, Digital is the way to go.

Saves cannot transfer unfortunately.

The Questyen 06-14-20 10:03 AM

I buy all my Nintendo first party games physically.Those are the only games I hang on to. Since my wife and I play AC every single day I bought it digitally also a few weeks ago so I don't have to keep the cart in the system.

Adam Tyner 06-14-20 10:07 AM

If I were doing it all over again, I might’ve gone digital. My backlog is just about 100% on the Switch at this point, and I’m reluctant to start/return to any of my other games to avoid endlessly changing cards. Our Switch is basically an Animal Crossing box for the foreseeable future. And we do only have the one console.

Decker 06-14-20 10:08 AM

Originally Posted by DVDChris (Post 13757735)
If you have multiple people wanting to play at the same time with different islands, Digital is the way to go.

Wait, how does that work? I would think if you wanted to playthe game on multiple Switches and just wanted to pay once, as long as you weren't planning on visiting each other's island (which would be a huge bummer, BTW) then physical version would be better. How could multiple people share a single digital copy of the game? Digital copy sharing on the Switch is the most restrictive I have ever come across. I ended up buying three copies of the game for me and my two kids (two digital, one physical), each have our own Switches.

Dan 06-14-20 10:55 AM

Anyone want to come water some roses?
I'm about halfway through the process of getting Blue roses... I have special Purples (I call them Purple 2's!) that are being 'tested' with seed bag Yellows. If they make Yellows and Whites, they're 'good' purples. If they only ever make Whites, they're 'bad' purples. So I have them in pairs and spread apart so I know which spawned flowers came from which purples. I just need them watered because it sure helps speed things up to weed out the 'bad' ones.

I have some fossils and random items/DIYs on the south beach, free for the taking if you want/need them. I'm also looking for Trilobites and Pachycephalosaurus Tail, my last two fossils needed.

Turnips are 101 today, (Daisy leaves in a few minutes so too late for that) and you can check out the shops for any items that catch your eye.

My kid is playing, but she'll switch to me to open the island up if anyone's free. Reply here or send a DM and I'll send the dodo code.
edit: we set up a family account so she'll be online.

Thanks!

DVDChris 06-14-20 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by Decker (Post 13757751)
Wait, how does that work? I would think if you wanted to playthe game on multiple Switches and just wanted to pay once, as long as you weren't planning on visiting each other's island (which would be a huge bummer, BTW) then physical version would be better. How could multiple people share a single digital copy of the game? Digital copy sharing on the Switch is the most restrictive I have ever come across. I ended up buying three copies of the game for me and my two kids (two digital, one physical), each have our own Switches.

From what I’ve read, the main account designates the home console. Any profiles on that console can play the purchased games. On the second switch, the main account can play any purchased games, but needs to be connected to the internet. From what I’ve read, they can visit each other’s islands only via internet, not local play.

The Cow 06-14-20 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by Dan (Post 13757773)
Anyone want to come water some roses?
I'm about halfway through the process of getting Blue roses... I have special Purples (I call them Purple 2's!) that are being 'tested' with seed bag Yellows. If they make Yellows and Whites, they're 'good' purples. If they only ever make Whites, they're 'bad' purples. So I have them in pairs and spread apart so I know which spawned flowers came from which purples. I just need them watered because it sure helps speed things up to weed out the 'bad' ones.

I have some fossils and random items/DIYs on the south beach, free for the taking if you want/need them. I'm also looking for Trilobites and Pachycephalosaurus Tail, my last two fossils needed.

Turnips are 101 today, (Daisy leaves in a few minutes so too late for that) and you can check out the shops for any items that catch your eye.

My kid is playing, but she'll switch to me to open the island up if anyone's free. Reply here or send a DM and I'll send the dodo code.
edit: we set up a family account so she'll be online.

Thanks!

Let us know if that combo works out for ya. I've seen several claims on the combinations that work to get the blues depending on what website you visit or what youtube video you watch. We have 3 different plans going, but nothing yet.

majorjoe23 06-14-20 06:33 PM

https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/dvdtalk...54e2df077.jpeg

My 8-year-old was looking at Animal Crossing face masks on Etsy. She saw this and said “Ha, Bitch better have my bells!”

I told her it’s really not an appropriate word and she said “Oh, I didn’t know.”

Anyway, she picked out an Isabelle mask.

dsa_shea 06-14-20 06:41 PM

Would an Isabelle mask increase the chances of prattling?

tanman 06-14-20 11:38 PM

Originally Posted by DVDChris (Post 13757735)

Ok so this is a big advantage then? You can create different islands IF you play on different switches? And if you want to play it at the same time then digital is the way to go?

Stupid question but do the save files exist on the switch or the cartridge? And does AC support cloud saves?

This was so much more simple and nicer on the GCN when you could just use a different memory card for each new town and swap them easily.

tanman 06-14-20 11:44 PM

Originally Posted by The Questyen (Post 13757748)
I buy all my Nintendo first party games physically.Those are the only games I hang on to. Since my wife and I play AC every single day I bought it digitally also a few weeks ago so I don't have to keep the cart in the system.

I usually do too as I just like the permanence of physical copies. But there seems to be a lot of advantages to going digital for AC.

tanman 06-14-20 11:46 PM

Originally Posted by DVDChris (Post 13757785)
From what I’ve read, the main account designates the home console. Any profiles on that console can play the purchased games. On the second switch, the main account can play any purchased games, but needs to be connected to the internet. From what I’ve read, they can visit each other’s islands only via internet, not local play.

OMG why does Nintendo have to make it so complicated. We don't have a second switch yet but I can see my daughter asking for one down the road and would like to avoid having to do what Decker did.

fujishig 06-15-20 12:25 AM

Originally Posted by tanman (Post 13757999)
Ok so this is a big advantage then? You can create different islands IF you play on different switches? And if you want to play it at the same time then digital is the way to go?

Stupid question but do the save files exist on the switch or the cartridge? And does AC support cloud saves?

This was so much more simple and nicer on the GCN when you could just use a different memory card for each new town and swap them easily.

Save files exist on the system, but Animal Crossing doesn't allow cloud saves. Nothing is written to any switch cart. In fact, until a couple of months ago saves were only put on internal storage, though now they can be moved to a micro SD card (but not animal crossing).

Originally Posted by tanman (Post 13758005)
OMG why does Nintendo have to make it so complicated. We don't have a second switch yet but I can see my daughter asking for one down the road and would like to avoid having to do what Decker did.

If you think about it, the reason it's complicated is because the switch is portable. I'm pretty sure both Playstation and Xbox make you designate one system as the "master" system and the other secondary systems, same as the switch. You probably don't have nearly as many people wanting to play at the same time in a household with those systems, though.

Basically, you can share a digital game with at least two switches, but the secondary switch will need to be logged into the profile that bought the game, and will also need an internet connection. This is actually much, much better than the DS/3DS method of tying the bought game to a system.

The one system, one island thing is something we complained about at the start... really no reason to do it that way except to force players on one system to play in a single community.

SmackDaddy 06-17-20 10:03 AM

Are there any tall chairs (like bar stools) available? I'm guessing there wouldn't be something called a barstool because, well, Nintendo. But, I have a sports bar set up and would like a couple of tall chairs to place next to the bar. I've looked a few lists but haven't found one.

Sonny Corinthos 06-17-20 10:17 AM

Two months since I ordered the ACNH Player's Guide, I get an email from Amazon this morning saying it will arrive Friday.

fujishig 06-17-20 10:19 AM

Originally Posted by Sonny Corinthos (Post 13759149)
Two months since I ordered the ACNH Player's Guide, I get an email from Amazon this morning saying it will arrive Friday.

Cool! I was going to say it's back up for ordering (at 20 bucks) but estimated delivery is 1 to 2 months.

DVDChris 06-19-20 10:08 AM

Turnips are buying for 464 at my Island now. Good till 12PST if anyone needs to sell

fujishig 06-19-20 10:11 AM

Originally Posted by DVDChris (Post 13760114)
Turnips are buying for 464 at my Island now. Good till 12PST if anyone needs to sell

I need to sell! Do you need/want anything besides the usual nook ticket or bells?

DVDChris 06-19-20 10:28 AM

Originally Posted by fujishig (Post 13760117)
I need to sell! Do you need/want anything besides the usual nook ticket or bells?

gates are open. I really want a throwback rocket. Hasn’t showed up in my shop yet.

fujishig 06-19-20 10:34 AM

Originally Posted by DVDChris (Post 13760128)
gates are open. I really want a throwback rocket. Hasn’t showed up in my shop yet.

Okay, I ordered one and sent you it via mail. Not sure if that takes a day or if it's immediate.

DVDChris 06-19-20 10:35 AM

Originally Posted by fujishig (Post 13760130)
Okay, I ordered one and sent you it via mail. Not sure if that takes a day or if it's immediate.

awesome thank you! Edit: received it already

dsa_shea 06-19-20 12:51 PM

I finally got all 6 variations of the throwback rockets. Let me know if you would like any of them. I'm glad I got my 800 hours into this one as it is about time to shift into all of the new games coming out. I finished my museum to 100% last night after catching the Dung Beetle and Pond Smelt.

DVDChris 06-19-20 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by dsa_shea (Post 13760204)
I finally got all 6 variations of the throwback rockets. Let me know if you would like any of them. I'm glad I got my 800 hours into this one as it is about time to shift into all of the new games coming out. I finished my museum to 100% last night after catching the Dung Beetle and Pond Smelt.

I was able to get yellow, silver, and red. What are the other 3? Can I send you bells?

Goldberg74 06-19-20 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by dsa_shea (Post 13760204)

I’ll connect with you on Sunday and come visit your island.