Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Tiger LCD games to return!

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-20, 06:12 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Tiger LCD games to return!

https://www.theverge.com/2020/2/19/2...c-transformers
Hasbro is bringing back another ‘90s classic: the monochrome Tiger Electronics LCD handheld. Today, the company announced that it’ll be releasing four new versions of the iconic handheld, which will launch this fall for $14.99 each.

As with the originals, each device will play a single game. The launch titles include The Little Mermaid, Transformers: Generation 2, X-Men Project X, and Sonic the Hedgehog 3(all are available to preorder at Gamestop now). Hasbro says that each game is “inspired” by the original version from the 1990s. They all sport a familiar control setup, with monochromatic graphics displayed on top of a static, colorful backdrop. Each unit is powered by two AA batteries (which, of course, are not included). “The design and technology were created with the original handheld game unit in mind,” the company says.
This isn’t the first such ‘90s LCD revival. Back in 2017, Bandai Namco brought back the classic Tamagotchi, which similarly banked largely on nostalgia. Like that effort, Hasbro’s new gaming devices feature nothing in the way of modern conveniences. Instead, they harken back to a much simpler time for the medium.
I think probably everybody who grew up in the 90's had at least one or two of these. They were so cheap that they were easy birthday gifts and became the calling card for kids whose parents would not buy them a Game Boy, Lynx, or Game Gear. Since I was one of those kids, I had a ton of these(I even had that X-Men one) and still do have some fondness for them, despite how simplistic they are.
Old 02-20-20, 07:13 AM

Received 1,922 Likes on 1,133 Posts
Re: Tiger LCD games to return!

I had baseball and I loved it. I'd buy baseball again on day one.
The following users liked this post:
Goat3001 (02-21-20)
Old 02-20-20, 10:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

I had (probably still have somewhere actually) the Batman Returns handheld Tiger game. Think I also had a soccer one. They weren’t really my favorite things, but I played them once in a while. They were popular as gifts because they were cheap so I’m sure many who grew up in the nineties had at least one or two.

Last edited by Mike86; 02-20-20 at 11:46 AM.
Old 02-20-20, 11:24 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 557 Likes on 408 Posts

I had a bunch as a kid and they were trash. Goes to show nostalgia will get people to buy anything.
The following users liked this post:
tanman (02-23-20)
Old 02-20-20, 12:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts

A coworker of mine is into the classic stuff and he gave me an extra Mortal Kombat that I played for about 30 seconds, and then I remembered why I hated them so much even when they were new.
Old 02-20-20, 01:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 221 Likes on 177 Posts

I had several of these, and while I played the hell out of them, I have zero desire to do so again. I believe I had: Pinball, Golden Axe, Batman, and one or two others.
Old 02-20-20, 05:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts

If Nintendo wanted to reissue some Game & Watches, I would be interested, There’s some fun novelty to these for a second, but I wouldn’t buy one,
Old 02-20-20, 05:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

The other thing with these is that they’re not super uncommon or anything. You could probably find these at the right thrift shops or on eBay or wherever.
Old 02-21-20, 12:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts

James Rolfe has an excellent AVGN episode about these:

Old 02-22-20, 01:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 117 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by DVD Josh
James Rolfe has an excellent AVGN episode about these:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_u5dtBtG9yU
With all the free endless runners you can download and play on a smart phone or tablet, why waste money on these?
Old 02-22-20, 01:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts

That was quite entertaining and informative. I'm glad that when that crap was dumped on the public I was old enough to see it for what it was: junk.
Old 02-22-20, 02:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 117 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by dsa_shea
That was quite entertaining and informative. I'm glad that when that crap was dumped on the public I was old enough to see it for what it was: junk.
Way back in the day, money was tight and my family was not about to drop $200.00USD on a Gameboy. So instead, I receive quiet a few of these from family and relatives during the holidays.

I finally received a Gameboy for Christmas when the price dropped to $100. My old man end up wearing it out playing Tetris all the time.
Old 02-23-20, 04:25 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 961 Likes on 668 Posts

I only had one game, Karnov, It was okay but didn't play it much after I got a Gameboy.

I don't see the point of these. Especially at $15. Maybe if they updated the tech and used a screen you can actually see and loaded a collection of these for like $25 it might be worth checking out.

They could at the very LEAST put a few LCD bulbs in there so you can actually see the screen.
Old 02-23-20, 04:29 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 961 Likes on 668 Posts

Originally Posted by majorjoe23
If Nintendo wanted to reissue some Game & Watches, I would be interested, There’s some fun novelty to these for a second, but I wouldn’t buy one,
I agree. Much more value in Nintendo reissuing the G&W collection. For one the brand is much better and the games are much better as well. The problem with those Tiger games is that they tried to emulate "real" games and of course failed miserably. Although to be fair I'm sure they were much more successful financially at the cost of disappointed children everywhere. The G&W games were programed with the limited tech in mind so they were much more playable.

I don't see these selling very well at all as I bet people will see through this as being a nostalgia grab. Or at the very most they'll buy one then realize how terrible they are and stop at one.