Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Apple Arcade - what are you into?

Old 09-21-19, 11:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Apple Arcade - what are you into?

I started playing some of the games and theyíve been hit or miss for me. So far Iím having a good time with Pinball Wizard and Frogger. Hot Lava was not my thing.

So for those of you who are subscribing to this, what are you all playing?
Old 09-22-19, 02:45 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Re: Apple Arcade - what are you into?

Shinsekai.

Itís an underwater Metroid-vania type. So far Iím digging it. It looks great, and the touch controls work really well.

I signed up for the first month, but I donít know if Iíll subscribe long term. Donít love playing games on my phone.
Old 09-23-19, 10:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I downloaded a few.

I'm still not getting the hang of the Sayonara controls, and unskippable intros is a big no for me.

What the Golf - I got quite addicted to this. It's very quirky and fun, and now it's starting to get quite challenging on some of the later levels.

Possessions - I guess this is more story than game. I played for a little bit, but got quickly bored of the "puzzles." I don't recommend.

Way of the Turtle - Played for maybe 20 minutes. Seems like a decent platformer so far, but has the potential to get quite frustrating. Still building the control muscle memory since you press one side of the screen to stop, a different side to jump, and then you swipe to switch directions.

The Enchanted World - This has nice graphics, but it's basically one of those puzzle games with the sliding pieces mechanic. I didn't enjoy it.

Assemble with Care - It's a story based puzzle game. The puzzles are easy, but the story/music etc make it worth a quick playthrough.
Old 10-01-19, 01:17 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I got a new iPad yesterday and I activated Apple Arcade for the free 1 month trial.

Kind of a pain in the ass to download the entire game for everything you want to play. I only downloaded the new Frogger and played a little of it. Pretty slick update. I'll have to look around more and see what else catches my eye.
Old 10-01-19, 01:34 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I really like Assemble with Care (made by the Monument Valley people) and Patterened (which is just a mindless jigsaw puzzle thing, but is great for the toilet).

Mainly I'm loving no in app purchases or forced video ads and all that toxic crap.
Old 10-01-19, 01:45 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by joeblow69 View Post
I really like Assemble with Care (made by the Monument Valley people) and Patterened (which is just a mindless jigsaw puzzle thing, but is great for the toilet).

Mainly I'm loving no in app purchases or forced video ads and all that toxic crap.
Agree, that might entice me to keep it. $5 per month and you get to play and download as many games as you want without the ads or stupid upgrades/in-app purchases. It's a fantastic time waster for your iPad or you can even use it at home and make your Apple TV a mini game console.
Old 10-10-19, 11:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I've been obsessed with Card of Darkness. It's a card-based puzzle/dungeon game, and one of the creators made Adventure Time, and the game is very much in that style. It gets pretty damn challenging later on, but it doesn't feel unbeatable. I think I'm close to the end.
Old 10-11-19, 09:31 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

just be aware that if you cancel the free trial, it ends the trial immediately, not at the end of your month. I hope they send out reminders right before they charge the $5 monthly fee.
Old 10-11-19, 10:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I might keep it past the free month.
Old 10-11-19, 03:25 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by spainlinx0 View Post
I might keep it past the free month.
I doubt I will. The games are neat, but I still find myself wasting most of my time playing the different candy crush games. I wonder if they'd create a match-3 game with no in app purchases or ads for Arcade?