DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Video Game Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk-15/)
-   -   Xbox Game Pass/Game Pass Ultimate (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk/648394-xbox-game-pass-game-pass-ultimate.html)

tonyc3742 08-15-19 05:49 PM

Xbox Game Pass/Game Pass Ultimate

So I know there was discussion of how to maximize the deal to extend your existing GP/Gold sub to Ultimate (which I did, and thank you for the pointers!)
But not a lot of discussion of Game Pass itself.
I'm really liking it.
Apparently for a lot of the more independent developers/smaller studios, it's translating to greater sales than they ever expected.
There's currently close to 200 games available and while they're not all A-List, I'm definitely getting my money's worth.
And I like that Game Pass has its own category in your Apps and Games section, so you can just quickly see the full library.
I used to be resistant to digital but I've gotten more into it, especially with sales on the MS store (and Vudu/Amazon Video), and am getting used to the subscription service methodology.
(I still think the Xbox One SAD is a stupid thing, and not sure why anyone would handcuff their future gaming like that.)

I signed up originally for Crackdown 3, and glad I did (as in, I'm glad I didn't pay 60 bucks for that game.) As much as I loved Crackdown, this was just kinda empty. But well worth the GP.
Of course I've heard concerns of the model 'devaluing' some titles, but I don't think Crackdown 3 was as fun as Crackdown. Not sure if that was me or the game. But we're still friends.

I've tried a bunch of games via GP that I probably would not have blind bought. I do hope they get some compensation for my playing these games even if I don't buy them.

Operencia - an old school ish turn based RPG, in the Wizardry mode. I think I'm about 1/3 through. And I have definitely had to hit a walkthrough or two to find some stuff.
The Banner Saga - I'm only on chapter 5 of part 1 but it's cool. I love SRPGs and this does some different stuff.
And last night I started playing Slay the Spire. OMG that is so addictive. I played for like five hours last night. I love deckbuilders and dungeon crawls and stuff like that. It's very similar to Monster Slayers but different enough to be different. I'm not a huge fan of the roguelike, 'You died, lose everything' but at least there's still some progression.
And I highly doubt any of those would have made many sales even at 40 bucks on disc.

So anyone else utilizing GP? What are your pleasant surprises? Thoughts on the service? Groundbreaking or hail Mary for MS as a console?

OldBoy 08-15-19 09:02 PM

Re: Xbox Game Pass/Game Pass Ultimate

i have it, download games i am interested in, but never play them. they just sit there. i guess it's fine to have them for the monthly fee, i guess...

mattysemo247 08-15-19 09:28 PM

I downloaded a few things but the only game I sunk some time into is Void Bastards, based on all the positive feedback. It was pretty good, but I'm not a huge fan of rogue like games.

spainlinx0 08-16-19 10:16 AM

I have played a few, but I haven't really gotten huge into any of them. Rime I played for a little, but the controls annoyed me so I quit, and I probably won't go back to it.

Life is Strange was a little too slow moving for me.

Ori was fun, but if I take off a few days I get lost coming back to it.

I'm not sure what to play next.

Deftones 08-16-19 11:43 AM

I've yet to spend serious time with any of the games on there, but that will change with Gears 5 and Outer Worlds.

spainlinx0 08-16-19 01:31 PM

I am absolutely excited for Outer Worlds.

tonyc3742 08-16-19 02:16 PM

That does look good! I read about it in Xbox magazine and thought it sounded cool but I haven't checked out any videos yet. Looks like a cross between Borderlands and Fallout (which makes sense once I saw a Fallout team was involved.)

Decker 08-16-19 04:16 PM

A big problem I have with Game Pass is that the non-MS-published games are fair game to leave at any time with little advanced notice. I would be pissed if I had invested 20-30 hours in a game and had it taken away from me before I had completed it.
Besides that, I do like the service.

One other thing : It has really dissuaded me from buying any Indie games on sale. I am pretty sure they will show up on GP shortly there afterwards.

spainlinx0 08-19-19 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by Decker (Post 13594361)
A big problem I have with Game Pass is that the non-MS-published games are fair game to leave at any time with little advanced notice. I would be pissed if I had invested 20-30 hours in a game and had it taken away from me before I had completed it.
Besides that, I do like the service.

One other thing : It has really dissuaded me from buying any Indie games on sale. I am pretty sure they will show up on GP shortly there afterwards.

Is that to push you to make some permanent purchases? I believe your save game will carry over.

OldBoy 08-20-19 03:46 PM

Devil May Cry 5 now on GP. and i fucking bought that too and haven't played it yet. g-damn!

OldBoy 08-31-19 09:35 PM

Wasn’t sure where to let this, but if my friend has say, one year of Gold. What’s his best bet to get Ultimate for the best price? That dollar price ain’t still going on, right?

Dan 09-04-19 01:55 PM

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...er-the-gungeon

Xbox One Game Pass titles for September

5th September
Dead Cells
Metal Gear Solid HD Edition: 2 & 3

6th September
Creature in the Well
Gears 5

12th September
Enter the Gungeon
Gonner Blüeberry Edition

PC Game Pass titles for September (dates TBC)

Bad North
Creature in the Well
Dead Cells
Enter the Gungeon
Gears 5
Gonner Blüeberry Edition
Shadow Warrior 2
Dead Cells! I've had that on my wishlist since it came out. Glad to see it added to Game Pass.

Decker 09-04-19 02:09 PM

Ditto. I've eyed Dead Cells but never pulled the trigger on that one.

Can't believe Gears 5 comes out in 2 days. Those used to be HUGE releases in the 360 days.

Dan 09-04-19 02:50 PM

^ Gears 5 is getting really good reviews, too. I haven't played any of the previous ones, but I might jump into that one, since there's no risk.

Deftones 09-04-19 10:06 PM

Yeah, Gears even has some open world stuff. That's crazy.

spainlinx0 09-05-19 08:49 AM

I'll throw in a recommendation for Headlander. I'm very much enjoying this game. From Double Fine.

Dan 09-18-19 08:08 AM

Bloodstained!

mattysemo247 09-18-19 08:26 AM

Jump Force, Metro Exodus, and DMC5. All 2019 third party full priced games. MS has been killing it lately.

SunMonkey 09-19-19 04:53 AM

If anyone isn’t on with Microsoft Rewards, they are running a promo during October where you can complete a few quests for a free month of Game Pass Ultimate.

EinCB 09-29-19 04:57 AM

Do saves not transfer from the Xbox One to the PC version even if you're using the same gamer tag? I was playing Bloodstained for a bit and I was hoping to continue it on my PC. Not a big deal if I can't. Thanks!

Dan 09-30-19 11:52 AM

^ only if the game is labeled as "Play Anywhere" with the fancy logo.
https://i.imgur.com/XhGinWJ.png?1
I think most of the Microsoft-owned games have this enabled, but 3rd party games typically do not.

EinCB 10-04-19 06:48 PM

Thank you, Dan. :)

Here are the October games for Game Pass:
October 3rd
  • Dishonored 2
October 10th
  • World War Z
  • Yooka Laylee
October 17th
  • Fallout: New Vegas
  • Felix The Reaper
  • Panzer Dragoon Orta

EinCB 10-15-19 10:55 PM

Originally Posted by SunMonkey (Post 13610293)
If anyone isn’t on with Microsoft Rewards, they are running a promo during October where you can complete a few quests for a free month of Game Pass Ultimate.

Just finished it and got everything!

Also, it's not just 1 month, you'll get two months of Game Pass.

https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/dvdtalk...116e70e567.png

Make sure to turn off auto renewal after getting the month free.

There's about 16 days left and there some quests where you have to do 3 weekly missions.

Decker 10-16-19 12:40 AM

Originally Posted by EinCB (Post 13618732)
Thank you, Dan. :)

Here are the October games for Game Pass:
October 3rd
  • Dishonored 2
October 10th
  • World War Z
  • Yooka Laylee
October 17th
  • Fallout: New Vegas
  • Felix The Reaper
  • Panzer Dragoon Orta

Aren't we also getting Outer Worlds when it launches on 10/25?

EinCB 10-16-19 02:08 AM

We are, but there's no date yet.

mattysemo247 10-16-19 10:40 AM

Originally Posted by EinCB (Post 13624625)
Just finished it and got everything!

Also, it's not just 1 month, you'll get two months of Game Pass.

https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/dvdtalk...116e70e567.png

Make sure to turn off auto renewal after getting the month free.

There's about 16 days left and there some quests where you have to do 3 weekly missions.

I also got the two months today :thumbsup:

Now I'm good through July 2022.

I haven't tried Ultimate on my computer, and honestly don't even know how well the games would run. Is it just an app or something I need to download on Windows 10?

spainlinx0 10-16-19 11:27 AM

Originally Posted by Decker (Post 13624641)
Aren't we also getting Outer Worlds when it launches on 10/25?

I never got to play New Vegas, so I might jump into that immediately. I loved 3, not so much 4, and I heard NV is a better version of 3.

Decker 10-16-19 11:55 AM

Originally Posted by EinCB (Post 13624647)
We are, but there's no date yet.

We're getting it at launch. Announced yesterday

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">H - hey everyone, have<br>Y - you heard that The Outer Worlds will be available with Xbox Game<br>P - Pass on October 25th, which is the same day it launches?<br>E – e</p>&mdash; Xbox Game Pass (@XboxGamePass) <a href="https://twitter.com/XboxGamePass/status/1184180870455812097?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">October 15, 2019</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Dan 10-16-19 12:43 PM

I've already downloaded Outer Worlds in full, but obviously can't play it. I'm sure there'll be another patch before the actual release... but my expectation is that it'll be playable the night of the 24th, if not the morning of the 25th.

edit: oops. I was responding to the previous page of the thread. Didn't see any of the new posts until I hit Post.

Originally Posted by spainlinx0 (Post 13624813)
I never got to play New Vegas, so I might jump into that immediately. I loved 3, not so much 4, and I heard NV is a better version of 3.

I liked NV a lot more. The main quest/story was a bit short, but there's so much to do for side quests and expansions, and I felt like they were of a much better variety than what we got with 3.

DJariya 10-16-19 12:51 PM

I'm currently on a 3 month $15 promo that expires next week.

Are there any deals for this? I think I saw one on CDKeys for around the same price. I don't think I really want to subscribe to the 3 month $45 regular price for this.

Schloob1 10-16-19 02:44 PM

Sweet, I'm wrapping mine up today so 2 months instead of 1 would be great. And don't forget to check rewards catalog as they now offer 1 and 3 months of Ultimate as well for points. I'm only about 3K points away from getting the 3 month for 35,000 points.

EinCB 10-16-19 04:34 PM

Originally Posted by mattysemo247 (Post 13624772)

I haven't tried Ultimate on my computer, and honestly don't even know how well the games would run. Is it just an app or something I need to download on Windows 10?

You need to download the Xbox (Beta) app. The games running well depends on the type of game and how your PC is built. I finished Hollow Knight with no problems, just a couple of frame drops here and there during combat, but Arkham Knight is simply unplayable with the massive frame drops. I expected that, since I just have a pre-built PC with a GTX 1050 TI.

Also surprised at how quickly my Internet downloads the games.

tonyc3742 10-28-19 10:54 PM

I really liked New Vegas.

I'm about 10 hours into Outer Worlds now, and if you like Fallout 3/NV, check it out. It's Fallout-ish with a little more sardonic humor in the story and dialog, and COLORS OTHER than brown in the landscapes! Lot of fetchquesting but so far I'm still really into it.

Decker 11-09-19 02:21 PM

So if anyone needs a deal on Game Pass Ultimate, Best Buy (and others too, I think) are giving an additional 3 mo with purchase of a 3 mo digital card. 6 mo for $45 is $7.50 a month and a pretty good deal. I'm already good until Sept 2022 so I am passing for now and will have to hope it comes back around next year.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/microso...?skuId=6359375

Decker 11-14-19 03:40 PM

Rage 2 out today for Game Pass!

Games Available November 14

• Age of Empires II: Definitive Edition (PC)
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall (Console, coming soon to PC)
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet Edition (PC)
  • LEGO: The Ninjago Movie Videogame (Console)
  • RAGE 2 (Console, coming soon to PC)
  • Remnant: From the Ashes (Console)
  • The Talos Principle (Console & PC)
  • Tracks: The Train Set Game (Console & PC)

Games Coming "This Holiday"

• Darksiders III (Console & PC)
  • Life Is Strange 2: Episodes 4 & 5 (Console)
  • The Red Strings Club (PC)
  • Vambrace: Cold Soul (Console & PC)
  • The Escapists 2 (Console)
  • Halo: Reach (Console & PC)
  • My Friend Pedro (Console/PC)
  • The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt (Console)
In addition to the above games slated for this month and holiday season, a huge collection of third-party, ID@Xbox, and anticipated releases (Carrion!) are coming over the course of 2020.

Games Coming 2020

• Carrion (Console & PC) – ID@Xbox
  • Cris Tales (Console & PC) – ID@Xbox
  • Cyber Shadow (Console & PC)
  • Double Kick Heroes (Console & PC) – ID@Xbox
  • Edge of Eternity (Console & PC) – ID@Xbox
  • Final Fantasy VII
  • Final Fantasy VIII: Remastered
  • Final Fantasy IX
  • Final Fantasy X: HD Remastered
  • Final Fantasy X-2: HD Remastered
  • Final Fantasy XII: The Zodiac Age
  • Final Fantasy XIII
  • Final Fantasy XIII-2
  • Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII
  • Final Fantasy XV
  • Forager (Console & PC) – ID@Xbox
  • Haven (Console & PC) – ID@Xbox
  • It Lurks Below (Console & PC) – ID@Xbox
  • Levelhead (Console & PC) – ID@Xbox
  • PHOGS (Console & PC) – ID@Xbox
  • She Dreams Elsewhere (Console & PC) – ID@Xbox
  • SkateBIRD (Console & PC) – ID@Xbox
  • Streets of Rage 4 (Console & PC) – ID@Xbox
  • Scourge Bringer (Console & PC) – ID@Xbox
  • Supraland (Console) – ID@Xbox
  • Tekken 7 (Console)
  • Touhou Luna Nights (Console & PC) – ID@Xbox
  • The Red Lantern (Console) – ID@Xbox
  • West of Dead (Console & PC)

EinCB 11-14-19 04:57 PM

Yakuza games and Ori And The Will Of The Wisps are coming to Game Pass, too:

https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/dvdtalk...f2bdad6c0f.jpg

mattysemo247 11-14-19 06:57 PM

Gamepass continues to be an amazing value :thumbsup:

Nice to see Streets of Rage 4 on the upcoming list. It also kinda sucks for people who bought the season pass for Life is Strange 2.

Decker 11-14-19 06:59 PM

Originally Posted by mattysemo247 (Post 13640158)
Gamepass continues to be an amazing value :thumbsup:

Nice to see Streets of Rage 4 on the upcoming list. It also kinda sucks for people who bought the season pass for Life is Strange 2.

Just imagine if somebody here bought Rage 2 on sale a few months ago and hadn't even opened it yet... :sarcasm:

mattysemo247 11-14-19 09:17 PM

Well then I would call them a sucker ;)

At least you have a nice looking coaster. JK.

Even now that it's on Gamepass, I can't imagine going back to that game with all the other great games that have come out recently.

tonyc3742 11-17-19 10:28 AM

Rage 2 is on my list to try, downloading now, but yet, lots of good games :) (some not so good, yes.)
I may fire up FFIX and FFX2 when they release - I had been working on a replay a few months ago on my PS2.
GP is a great deal.