Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Google Stadia

Old 11-20-19, 07:50 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,019 Likes on 810 Posts
Re: Google Stadia

*shrug* I still think the ability to turn almost any device into a game console is a smart move. I'm just curious as to how well it actually works, Shadow.tech was a mixed bag performance wise.
Old 11-20-19, 10:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,150 Likes on 900 Posts

Originally Posted by RichC2
*shrug* I still think the ability to turn almost any device into a game console is a smart move. I'm just curious as to how well it actually works, Shadow.tech was a mixed bag performance wise.
That aspect is kinda cool admittedly, but it’s going to take a really good connection to make it work well. I feel like not many people have the ability to make it work to it’s best potential or if they do are going to run into problems with data caps or when others in their home want to use the internet. I just think when so much of your product is reliant on super great unlimited internet that it’s going to face problems. Unless you live in an urban area and only game minimally.

Last edited by Mike86; 11-20-19 at 11:09 AM.
Old 11-20-19, 11:59 AM
DVD Talk Hero

For 4K absolutely, that's going to be an issue for some users, but using it on smaller devices which is a big thing to me for some reason, 720p@60fps is perfectly do-able and would likely be fine on a tablet (eventually I assume at least) sitting on a table a foot or two away from my face.

Of course, I'm one of those people with gig fiber and no data cap, so the 4K better work flawlessly if I choose to go that route.
Old 11-20-19, 12:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,150 Likes on 900 Posts

Resolution isn’t even the biggest concern (although it is one). The bigger thing to me is the data caps. Like I say unless you don’t game often streaming games has to eat up data fast. That also isn’t taking into account the amount of data usage for other things an average person does. I actually work for a cable company and our data isn’t capped either, but I know the vast majority of providers have caps.
Old 11-20-19, 12:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Resolution has a direct effect on bandwidth usage, only reason I was bringing that up. The 4K@60fps eats up a rather large 35mbps or about 15.7gb/hour, where as 720p would taper out to about 4.5gb -- 4K will eat up say 1TB in 60 hours, 720p winds up around 222 hours of gameplay per 1TB cap.

That and I see shitty wifi hurting some people.
Old 11-20-19, 09:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 218 Likes on 165 Posts

A guy on twitter said he felt like he was playing an online game on dial up with a person from another Country on the Dreamcast.
Old 11-21-19, 05:52 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 911 Likes on 646 Posts

Originally Posted by Sonny Corinthos
A guy on twitter said he felt like he was playing an online game on dial up with a person from another Country on the Dreamcast.

My group of friends have been discussing the Stadia and one seems to think this is the next big thing and revolutionize gaming. Nevermind that I doubt he will even buy one. I tend to look at PSNow and think, if this tech was the next big thing wouldn't PSNow be the biggest thing going already? Or wouldn't OnLive still be around and kicking everyone's ass?

I think this thing is gonna be DOA and Google will abandon it within a year.

I think the concept behind game streaming devices is sound, I just don't think we're to the point where it seems practical for numerous reasons.
Old 11-21-19, 09:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I also think Project X Cloud is going to hurt it. The fact that you will be able to play your Xbox games on your phone or computer, with a huge library for $10 a month, is just insane. I get that Stadia is going with the ease and high fidelity, but you still have to pay a monthly fee and buy games for full price.
Old 11-21-19, 07:44 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 85 Likes on 62 Posts

I like this as a solution to playing console quality games while traveling without having to haul around the console itself. That’s really appealing.

But having no support for my existing libraries, and having to actually buy the game again for close to full price is totally asinine. Wake me up when they roll out a subscription service similar to Game Pass.
Old 11-25-19, 10:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts

So does anyone who owns it have any updates or impressions about the service?
Old 11-25-19, 10:40 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,625 Likes on 2,602 Posts

I watched a review from Tech Chap on YouTube and he does not recommend it right now

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/qKUlG04AnL4" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

He shows in this video that it does have bugs.
Old 11-25-19, 10:49 PM
DVD Talk God

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/k7MXp6jyNns" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

IGN gave it a 6 out of 10. The controller is $69. That's expensive.
Old 11-26-19, 08:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I've seen the overall unfavorable reviews, but I was hoping some people who purchased it here might chime in with some impressions. I personally was not a believer, as we can see in this thread, but I would like to know how the average DVDTalker is experiencing the service.
Old 11-26-19, 10:51 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,918 Likes on 1,484 Posts

Originally Posted by spainlinx0
I've seen the overall unfavorable reviews, but I was hoping some people who purchased it here might chime in with some impressions. I personally was not a believer, as we can see in this thread, but I would like to know how the average DVDTalker is experiencing the service.
Did anyone here even buy one? I'd think if they had they'd have chimed into this thread by now (unless it's an Xmas present for some kid who's going to be really disappointed)

I'm not even sure how you'd play this while traveling. Every time we travel with the family it's hit or miss whether the hotel internet will even support my roku, let alone a streaming games device.
Old 11-26-19, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by fujishig
Did anyone here even buy one? I'd think if they had they'd have chimed into this thread by now (unless it's an Xmas present for some kid who's going to be really disappointed)

I'm not even sure how you'd play this while traveling. Every time we travel with the family it's hit or miss whether the hotel internet will even support my roku, let alone a streaming games device.
I had remembered someone talking about buying it, but I only saw Sonny pre-ordered, but he subsequently canceled that. I guess maybe none of us did.
Old 11-26-19, 12:30 PM
DVD Talk God

So nobody here wants to buy it and are just waiting for someone to be the lab rat and spend the money 1st.
Old 11-26-19, 01:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Oh, I'm definitely not going to buy it. I think it's a terrible idea, but I know some people seemed excited about it, and I was curious if it was meeting their expectations, but I guess it's DOA.
Old 11-26-19, 01:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 901 Likes on 665 Posts

IMO this will be in discount bins before Jan. Who did they think would ever buy this thing?
Old 11-26-19, 01:12 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Noonan
IMO this will be in discount bins before Jan. Who did they think would ever buy this thing?
Are they even selling this at B&M stores? Thought this was sold directly from Google.

Yea it's expensive for this type of tech and you need to have an expensive high speed internet connection to not risk getting drop outs in video quality. Plus, I saw the biggest flaw is the lack of games and a lot of them have to be bought at full price.

Old 11-26-19, 01:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by DJariya
Are they even selling this at B&M stores? Thought this was sold directly from Google.
Oh, is it? lol that's even worse!
Old 11-26-19, 01:20 PM
DVD Talk God

Oh, is it? lol that's even worse!
Yeah it's only sold directly from Google.

$129 for the kit with 1 controller and a Chromecast

and if you want an extra Controller it's another $69

So you're theory is very likely wrong. No Walmart bins for this baby.
Old 11-26-19, 01:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah it's only sold directly from Google.

$129 for the kit with 1 controller and a Chromecast

and if you want an extra Controller it's another $69

So you're theory is very likely wrong. No Walmart bins for this baby.
You're right. If that's the case, Google will probably end up trash compacting pallets of these things after the holidays.
Old 11-26-19, 01:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,918 Likes on 1,484 Posts

Yea it's expensive for this type of tech and you need to have an expensive high speed internet connection to not risk getting drop outs in video quality. Plus, I saw the biggest flaw is the lack of games and a lot of them have to be bought at full price.
So besides not being sold at B&Ms, being too expensive, requiring uncapped high speed internet, not having many games and having those games be expensive... this should be a hit, right?
Old 11-26-19, 01:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

You're right. If that's the case, Google will probably end up trash compacting pallets of these things after the holidays.
They'd probably just re-package it. It's just a Chromecast Ultra + Controller + 3 months of Premium service in a package.

The Chromecast Ultra ($70) still sells fairly well on its own, so the only thing they'd really waste from that package is the gamepad and a card with a number on it. The backend costs have got to be high though.
Old 11-26-19, 01:30 PM
DVD Talk God

All the reviews I saw said it has potential. But with this day and age with so much new tech and games, consoles and devices coming out year after year, will people even have the patience to wait for this to improve?

Or will those who actually splurged on it feel like they got ripped off because the tech isn't good enough right now and toss this in the closet?

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.