Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Google Stadia

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-19, 01:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts
Re: Google Stadia

Originally Posted by Sonny Corinthos
We don't have much longer to wait. Google is holding a press conference on June 6th. It will be interesting if they give us all of the details about it.

https://www.gameinformer.com/2019/06...vent-on-june-6
Knowing Google, they are going to announce it's cancellation in favor of their new streaming game service, YouTube Stadia.
Old 06-06-19, 09:39 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts

Details leaking out before presser today: https://kotaku.com/google-stadia-pri...tio-1835294433

The upcoming streaming platform Google Stadia won’t just follow the Netflix model, as many fans had hoped. It will instead have both a subscription and games for sale individually, as Kotaku previously reported, and the whole model sure sounds convoluted.

Stadia, which was announced in March, is a streaming platform designed to let you play games without a high-end console or computer. If it works as promised, it’ll let you pop a Chromecast into your television and access games through the cloud, no hardware required.

Google plans to release pricing and software details at 12pm ET today, but the news has leaked out early thanks to Canadian newspaper La Presse, which was pre-briefed. A rough translation of the article reveals that:
  • There will be a base subscription available when Stadia launches in November, for $11.99 Canadian per month. This one will give you access to some Stadia games at 4K resolution/60FPS.
  • Other games—newer ones, especially—you’ll have to buy.
  • In 2020, Google will launch a “Stadia Base” model that’s totally free, but only allows you to play games at 1080p resolution.
  • A pricey Stadia Founder’s Edition will be for sale this fall ($169 Canadian) that includes a Chromecast Ultra, a Stadia controller, a three-month subscription, and Destiny 2 (which, as Kotaku revealed yesterday, will be on the platform at launch).
  • Doom, Assassin’s Creed Odyssey, the new Tomb Raider trilogy, and The Division 2 are also part of the Stadia launch lineup.
  • Minimum internet speed requirement is a 10mbps download/1mbps upload.
Old 06-06-19, 09:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 218 Likes on 165 Posts

What are your thoughts on this? Depending on what Microsoft has to say on Sunday, I am very tempted to dive in. Google's spotty track record concerns me the most.
Old 06-06-19, 09:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,021 Likes on 812 Posts

Originally Posted by Sonny Corinthos
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cdUshWn8uM0

What are your thoughts on this? Depending on what Microsoft has to say on Sunday, I am very tempted to dive in. Google's spotty track record concerns me the most.
The overall commitment required is pretty low on it so I don't see much harm in diving in. At least on the subscription side. If it's a dud and you get the Founders Edition, you still have a Chromecast Ultra and a gamepad.

Last edited by RichC2; 06-06-19 at 09:26 PM.
Old 06-07-19, 10:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Considering the reality of bandwidth, the console seems to be half a decade before it's time. That being said, this is what PS6 and X-Box Three will be. Might as well get used to it.
Old 06-07-19, 10:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I have zero interest in this, and I don't even understand the target market? You need to pay $10 a month just in order to buy games, and if you don't have an internet connection you have zero access to those games. I guess this is for people who own a 4K TV, but don't want to buy a PS Pro or an Xbox One X?

If I wait for the non-subscription version, I still have to pay full price for games, but now I don't get surround sound, and I'm limited to 1080P. The video downgrade I get, but no surround sound? That seems ridiculous to me. I just don't see the benefit of getting this over a PS4 or XB1, especially when you're paying $130 to be an early adopter. Chromecasts are OK, but the one I currently use is spotty, and I actually prefer Firesticks. Xbox offers GamePass and Sony offers Playstation Now which both seem to be better value propositions, and I have the option to play offline as well.

Now, we're also ignoring the fact that some people have data caps, and what is 1080P (or 4K) gaming going to do to those caps?

This is all ignoring the fact that Google has zero corporate vision, and will cancel this within 3 years, and then where will all those games you spent money on be?
Old 06-07-19, 11:01 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 90 Likes on 77 Posts

Eh, my internet is entirely too slow for streaming games. I'm on a 6Mb down, 512Kb up connection.

Also to swap to a faster connection means having a 100GB a month datacap, which would be hit in like one day of gaming if you're literally having to stream a 60GB game to play it.

My connection is also spotty at best, with tons of latency and hiccups. Ping is typically over 60ms.

I doubt cloud gaming is even a possibility for me.
Old 06-07-19, 11:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Yup, I forgot to mention the issues with latency. Google can say they have figured it out all they want, but any game requiring fast twitch response times will probably be borderline unplayable.
Old 06-07-19, 12:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by spainlinx0
I have zero interest in this, and I don't even understand the target market? You need to pay $10 a month just in order to buy games, and if you don't have an internet connection you have zero access to those games. I guess this is for people who own a 4K TV, but don't want to buy a PS Pro or an Xbox One X?

If I wait for the non-subscription version, I still have to pay full price for games, but now I don't get surround sound, and I'm limited to 1080P. The video downgrade I get, but no surround sound? That seems ridiculous to me. I just don't see the benefit of getting this over a PS4 or XB1, especially when you're paying $130 to be an early adopter. Chromecasts are OK, but the one I currently use is spotty, and I actually prefer Firesticks. Xbox offers GamePass and Sony offers Playstation Now which both seem to be better value propositions, and I have the option to play offline as well.

Now, we're also ignoring the fact that some people have data caps, and what is 1080P (or 4K) gaming going to do to those caps?

This is all ignoring the fact that Google has zero corporate vision, and will cancel this within 3 years, and then where will all those games you spent money on be?
It's $10/month for Stadia Pro which is the game streaming library service (ie: Playstation Now and Xbox Gamepass). It costs nothing if you purchase the games outright.

At 10mbps (720p @ 60 fps), that'd be about 4.5gb/hour for gaming, which is about double what an hour of streaming Netflix at 1080p is. Caps suck, not sure if the industry will shift on that. Latency is what I'm curious about. It will probably be available on Firesticks as well in the not too distant future. I'm more interested in using it in Chrome windows on laptops.

It will be interesting if Google ends up launching a Play Store for PC that lets you download your digital copy like Steam as well as play them on the platform. I'm cool with the idea of being able to jump into a game of something I own while traveling, though it didn't work so great on some earlier streaming platforms.

Curious to see how it works out, not sure how it will ever be the least bit profitable for them.

Last edited by RichC2; 06-07-19 at 12:45 PM.
Old 06-07-19, 01:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by RichC2
It's $10/month for Stadia Pro which is the game streaming library service (ie: Playstation Now and Xbox Gamepass). It costs nothing if you purchase the games outright.

At 10mbps (720p @ 60 fps), that'd be about 4.5gb/hour for gaming, which is about double what an hour of streaming Netflix at 1080p is. Caps suck, not sure if the industry will shift on that. Latency is what I'm curious about. It will probably be available on Firesticks as well in the not too distant future. I'm more interested in using it in Chrome windows on laptops.

It will be interesting if Google ends up launching a Play Store for PC that lets you download your digital copy like Steam as well as play them on the platform. I'm cool with the idea of being able to jump into a game of something I own while traveling, though it didn't work so great on some earlier streaming platforms.

Curious to see how it works out, not sure how it will ever be the least bit profitable for them.
I don't know where you're getting this. From everything I can see, you need to be subscribed to the Pro Service in order to stream in 4K and in 5.1 surround, even with purchased titles.
​​​​​​​
Old 06-07-19, 01:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I don't know where you're getting this. From everything I can see, you need to be subscribed to the Pro Service in order to stream in 4K and in 5.1 surround, even with purchased titles.
Didn't see the specification for 4k there my bad. I don't have a 4K projector yet so that isn't really a huge selling point for me at this point. No monthly subscription for up to 1080p, the only shitty part is them being limited to stereo.
Old 06-07-19, 04:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'm a sucker, I went ahead and pre-ordered it. It's going to be my Father's Day/Birthday present. If it goes under, I'm only out $138 bucks. I have pissed away more money on lesser things, so hopefully, it's successful.
Old 06-07-19, 05:22 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts

You aren't even out $138, either. You'll still have a Chromecast Ultra, which has value, even if the system goes belly up.
Old 06-10-19, 11:13 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I wound up buying a Chromecast Ultra for my Oculus Quest Casting function, so I guess I'm half way to Stadia land already.
Old 06-16-19, 09:59 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 954 Likes on 662 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
I had this debate with some friends. Currently to game all you need is three things; a console, a game and a tv.

With streaming you need the above three in addition to amazing and reliable internet, you need the console manufacturer to have reliable servers(and/or not overloaded servers) and service on their end, and for them to not go out of business or you're entire catalog disappears and you have a fancy paperweight. Also I have my doubts this will win over any hardcore/competitive gamer. You're talking about a segment of gamers that use wired controllers to avoid input lag. They will never buy into a platform that revolves around "cheating" latency issues (as the google guy puts it in one of the videos). With the push to 4k & 60fps, how can a company pull this off on such a massive scale to support 20s of millions of gamers? Sounds like a pie-in-the-sky pipe dream to me. It will be the future of gaming at some point, but I think we're still at least a decade plus away from this being remotely practical.

As for the Stadia itself, Sony & MS fans are all-in in those ecosystems. Who's jumping ship to a fourth and unproven console manufacturer to a gaming service that is also unproven? For a casual gamer (think Nintendo crowd or the yearly Madden buyer) and average non-AAA games, this has potential.

K&A is right though. Why would someone willingly limit thier options? If you buy a streaming only console you are married to the game prices dictated by that company. A regular console benefits from a competitive market from not only retailers (sales, clearance, used games, etc.) but from manufacturers wanting to get the most sales. Also in 10-15 years when this console/service is dead how do you play those games? Servers are shut down and you're fucked. On the flipside I can pick up an old Gamecube and some games and be playing within an hour. No service needed. The benefits of a traditional console far outweigh the novelty of cloud based gaming.

I guess all this makes me old.

I think the Stadia will go over about as well as OnLive. In other words... D.O.A.

Yep pretty much all of this. This really isn't for me. But considering the low cost of buy in I can see it being viable for some niche crowd. But how niche is that crowd? Usually the people that would be interested that Destiny 2 is coming to this are the people that already own a PS4/XboxOne. I think they came out with this two years too early. Now if they came out with this as a hard push as an alternative to a PS5/Xbox Scarlet I can see the appeal. As of now this service will be dead before those systems come out.

Old 06-16-19, 10:05 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 954 Likes on 662 Posts

On a somewhat unrelated note the website for the Stadia is very interesting. At one point the scroll bar acts as a kind of zoom to zoom in and out of a screen. I've never seen that on a website before.

https://store.google.com/product/sta...SAAEgKQFPD_BwE
Old 08-27-19, 11:41 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Not a bad lineup of games so far. Hopefully, there's more to come.
Old 11-14-19, 11:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

This launch isn't looking so good:

Stadia Launch Missing Features

Originally Posted by Ars Article
As Google barrels forward toward streaming gaming with Monday's planned launch of Stadia, the company is talking about the many promised features that won't be available to Founder and Premier pre-order purchasers on day one.

In a wide-ranging Reddit AMA Wednesday, Google employees said that missing features will "start popping up as soon as one week after launch." Director of Product Andrey Doronichev defended this by saying that Google products "always start with nailing the key user-journey and then proceed with releasing extra features. YouTube started with 'watch video.' For Stadia it’s 'Play the Game on your biggest screen.'"

Game platforms often launch with limited feature sets that get expanded via firmware updates over multiple years. That said, the list of promised features that won't be ready when Stadia launches next week is surprising in its breadth and variety.

Here's a brief rundown of the limitations early adopters will face on day one:
  • "On day 1, PC Chrome gameplay won't support 4K, HDR, or 5.1 Surround Sound." Those features will be added in 2020 for PC players.
  • Stream Connect, which allows one player's Stadia viewpoint to be integrated with another player's stream, will not be available in any launch games. The first game to use it is expected to launch by the end of the year.
  • State Share (which lets users share save files via links) and Crowd Play (which allows for quick jump-in multiplayer through a YouTube stream) won't be integrated into games until next year.
  • At launch, Google Assistant integration will be limited to the ability to turn on the TV and start a game. Soon after launch, the Assistant button on the Stadia controller will work on Chromecast's Stadia homescreen. Assistant support on PCs and phones and during gameplay will come sometime after that.
  • Family Sharing (which lets you buy a game once and share it with accounts held by family members) "is not supported on day one, so you’ll have to buy games for your child’s account." The feature is planned for addition "early next year."
  • There is no Stadia UI for Achievements or Achievement notifications on day one. But if you happen to perform an in-game feat that would earn a specific Achievement, it will show up when the feature is rolled out "shortly after launch."
  • Chromecast Ultra units included in the Founders/Premiere bundles are the only ones that will work with Stadia on day one. Other Chromecast Ultra units will be able to play Stadia games after an over-the-air update "soon after launch."
  • The "Buddy Pass" that lets early adopters offer a free three-month Stadia trial to a friend will be sent "about two weeks after you receive your bundle, barring some unknown unknowns popping up."
  • Currently, "the phone is needed for initial setup and buying games." Buying games through a Chromecast Ultra or the Web is not supported, and the AMA gave no indication if or when it would be added.
  • As previously discussed, mobile support will be limited to Google Pixel phones and ChromeOS tablets at launch. A timeline for general iOS and Android support is still to be determined, but Pixel will likely be the only mobile support "this year," according to the AMA. Google says it "want[s] Stadia to run on every screen eventually."
  • As previously discussed, the Stadia Controller's wireless functions will only work with Chromecast Ultra at launch. To use that controller with a phone or tablet, you'll need to plug it in with a USB-C cable. Generic USB controllers will also work with Stadia on PC or phones, but not on Chromecast.
  • As previously discussed, only 12 titles will be available for purchase on Stadia at launch, with 14 more promised by the end of the year. A handful of other previously announced "launch window" titles on Stadia are planned for early 2020.
  • Some other interesting tidbits from the Stadia AMA:
  • At the highest visual quality, the Stadia app warns that "data usage might reach 20 GB/hr." That's above some previous estimates that expected 15.75 GB/hr for a 4K HDr signal with 5.1 surround sound. Limiting the stream to 720p stereo quality via the app caps data usage at 4.5 GB/hr.
  • "You should expect regular games" as freebies with your $10/month Stadia Pro subscription, but Google can't commit to a solid schedule for their availability yet (beyond Destiny 2 at launch). Similar services from Sony and Microsoft offer multiple free games per month.
  • A personal Stadia stream will continue to run for ten minutes after you shut down on one screen, allowing you time to switch to another device and pick up where you left off.
  • Stadia will use letterboxing to fit the game image on screens that are not set to the standard 1080p or 4K aspect ratios.
  • Google and PowerSupport have developed a Stadia controller grip, called the Claw, which holds a Stadia phone "centered and 'floating' over the controller," unlike generic phone/controller grips. It won't be included in pre-order bundles but will be available for purchase in the GStore "in the coming weeks."
Old 11-14-19, 11:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,152 Likes on 900 Posts

I think Stadia will crash and burn and Google will abandon it like they tend to do with other failed experiments. I think the game lineup is relatively weak considering it’s a lot of older stuff that’s not exclusive, and you have to have super reliable internet with no data caps to be able to play in an enjoyable fashion.
Old 11-14-19, 12:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

*shrug* It's promising to me.
Old 11-17-19, 09:52 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I am glad I canceled my order. It's just too risky for me to jump on right now.
Old 11-18-19, 10:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts

Not sure what Google was thinking releasing this at the late life cycle of current consoles. Why not launch alongside ps5 xbox 4?
Old 11-19-19, 10:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Does it matter? It's not a traditional console. Plus it would probably look even worse launching next to new consoles with mostly older games at launch.
Old 11-19-19, 06:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Yeah if anything, this thing is probably a few years too late.
Old 11-19-19, 07:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,152 Likes on 900 Posts

I still think the biggest hurdle is going to be the internet connection for most people. Unless you live in an area with really reliable service and you don’t have data caps and have fast speeds I don’t see how this is really as viable as it’s being made out.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.