Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

PS4 game recommendations?

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-19, 01:44 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 108 Likes on 75 Posts
PS4 game recommendations?

I've been playing games for more than 40 years, starting with Commodore 64 and Magnavox Odyssey. So the medium is really a life long passion for me but the last year or so ive been increasingly sad or frustrated with playing them. I've got so many titles started and not finished just because I lose my interest or get overwhelmed.

I'm sick of open world, hub map games with so many missions you lose track of what the main game is.
I don't want to have to double back to areas.

Looking for story driven, linear games similar to Last of Us or BioShock.

Anyone else going through this?
Old 02-08-19, 02:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts
Re: PS4 game recommendations?

I don't care for open world very much. My overall favorite game so far this generation has been Bloodborne which has some backtracking involved (kind of in line with a Metroidvania title, like Symphony of the Night)

Did you try God of War, Dark Souls III, The Tomb Raider games, Resident Evil 2 and 7, Yakuza 0, Wolfenstein II, Doom, or Uncharted 4? Hellblade maybe?

Uncharted 4 would obviously be the closest to Last of Us.
Old 02-08-19, 05:36 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The newest Tomb Raider is one of the ones I've started but just have no interest in finishing. It's not like the old ones. I've played all the Uncharted.
Old 02-08-19, 06:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Alien Isolation, Batman Arkham Collection and Arkham Knight, any Dishonored games, Doom, Evil Within, DmC, Metro collection, Titanfall 2, Until Dawn
Old 02-08-19, 06:27 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,200 Likes on 4,227 Posts

God of War is magnificent and not really open world. I mean it kinda is but is really story driven and it's clear where to do to next.

Until Dawn isn't long but it's a FUN ride. Basically a Horror Movie simulator. You get to make all the terrible decisions that the characters do and you pay the price for your mistakes.

Uncharted 4 is fantastic but very, very long. The spin off is pretty fun as well.
Old 02-09-19, 08:45 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 120 Likes on 108 Posts

I like both the huge open world but sometimes the more tight and story driven ones are just as fun. Those above me already hit on some great recommendations.....

New God of War....Game of the Year and there's a reason for it...it was almost flawless from story, design, layout and combat....which I haven't had that much fun with a weapon...His Axe and Blades....since playing with the Chain Lancer in Gears of War.

Bloodborne.....that game...just wow....I Loved it and Hated it....it's an extraordinary and fantastic world that has surprises and tough enemies at every turn...and The Bosses....that where I hated the game...getting so close only to keep dying, dying, dying over and over again....but the reward was great when you finally did defeat them. Like God of War's "Axe'...there's nothing quite pulling out that Bone Cleaver seeing it snap out....then do a Arnold impersonation (Commando)…"Let's Party"....

The Batman Games I found to be fun overall but not in same ballpark as GoW and Bloodborne...but they have their moments especially in combat with a large group. The same could be said of middle Earth: Shadow of Mordor which is somewhat Open World but no-where on the scale of Ghost Recon Wildlands or Assassin Creed Origins which is simply fantastic....

Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition....I didn't play the new one but this one just surprised me overall. Great blend of combat, puzzle and parkour at every stage...Lara kicks serious booty in this. it was a fun ride.

Horizon: Zero Dawn....again it's open world but not on the grand scale as others with a excellent story, great character and a fantastic world and setting. Before God of War...this and Bloodborne made the PS4 shine.

Doom...what more to say...a heck of a adrenaline ride of simple play...Load Gun, Point Gun, Blow Demons away...rinse and repeat. If you're looking for in depth story driven dialogue...NOPE....it's just a fun, hilarious map clearing shooter...
Old 02-09-19, 10:24 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

It might help to know what else you've already played on PS4. I have similar feelings about a lot of open world games, which is probably why games like Horizon Zero Dawn and Red Dead Redemption 2 weren't as amazing to me as they were others. That said, even though Spider-Man is also open world that game was immensely fun because traversal of the map was so much easier and more fun.

Tomb Raider is an interesting one because Rise and Shadow end up with big "hub" areas that encourage the open world kind of exploration, but you can ignore the collectibles and side quests and just concentrate on the main story.

If you're in to story drive games specifically with less action, some of the indie or episodic games might be up your ally. Life is Strange, What Remains of Edith Finch, Night in the Woods are some favorites of mine.
Old 02-09-19, 06:31 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Thanks for the ideas, I'm going to look at Metro and Dishonerd first and go from there.
I really enjoyed Deus Ex Human Revolution but didn't finish the new one. Loved Detroit Become Human.
Horizon was another one I tried but couldn't finish . I enjoyed Spiderman and did finish that one.
Old 02-09-19, 07:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

If you liked Detroit, it might be worth looking into the other two games from that studio. Both were free from PS+. Heavy Rain and Beyond Two Souls.
Old 02-10-19, 09:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 221 Likes on 177 Posts

Originally Posted by fumanstan
Tomb Raider is an interesting one because Rise and Shadow end up with big "hub" areas that encourage the open world kind of exploration, but you can ignore the collectibles and side quests and just concentrate on the main story.
The Darksiders games are similar. There may be areas to return to, but progressing through the games is fairly linear.