Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Old 11-08-18, 11:42 AM   #26
Spiderbite
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Black Friday 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob V View Post
So far no PS4 Pro deals... bummer.
Yeah...I was going to get my kid a PS4 to go with his Xbox One but wanted to get the PS4 pro if I wanted to move it from time to time and play it on my UHD TV.

I am definitely going to pick up that VR bundle at Target (if they hopefully have plenty of them).

Any opinions here about the upgrade between the regular PS4 and the Pro? Is it worth this difference this late in the game. I just thought about getting Spider-Man and a couple of other PS exclusives that I was interested in (God Of War and the like) but was mainly considering it for the VR stuff. Does the Pro make a difference with the VR stuff since you are wearing a visor for that?
Old 11-08-18, 11:55 AM   #27
gryffinmaster
DVD & Video Game Reviewer

Assassin's Creed: Odyssey for $35 at multiple places? Who could've foreseen that?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lwhy? View Post
If someone was purchasing a new gaming system for the first time in a long time, would you all recommend the PS4 1TB Bundle with Spider-man for $199.99 or the Xbox One S 1TB Bundle with Minecraft and a free $20 Target gift card? My last systems were the Xbox 360 and the Nintendo Wii.
If 4K media isn't really a concern, go with the $200 Spider-man bundle.
"He thought each memory recalled must do some violence to its origins. As in a party game. Say the words and pass it on. So be sparing. What you alter in the remembering has yet a reality, known or not." -- Cormac McCarthy's The Road

Thomas Spurlin, Staff Reviewer
DVDTalk Reviews
| Personal Blog/Site
Old 11-08-18, 12:32 PM   #28
fumanstan
DVD Talk Godfather

Quote:
Thanks everyone. It's sounding like the PS4 is my best bet. I'm going to try to get the $199 bundle with Spider-man then.
I think if Spider-Man is the game you're really itching to play, just getting the PS4 is a no-brainer.

For me...I'm so backlogged in games right now that I don't know if there's anything i'll pick up for Black Friday.

And of course you can GFY. -chess
Old 11-08-18, 12:49 PM   #29
mattysemo247
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiderbite View Post
Yeah...I was going to get my kid a PS4 to go with his Xbox One but wanted to get the PS4 pro if I wanted to move it from time to time and play it on my UHD TV.

I am definitely going to pick up that VR bundle at Target (if they hopefully have plenty of them).

Any opinions here about the upgrade between the regular PS4 and the Pro? Is it worth this difference this late in the game. I just thought about getting Spider-Man and a couple of other PS exclusives that I was interested in (God Of War and the like) but was mainly considering it for the VR stuff. Does the Pro make a difference with the VR stuff since you are wearing a visor for that?
I think it's worth the upgrade since we are still a ways off from the PS5. It's also a pretty good upgrade if you are looking to dip your toe in with the VR headset. There has also been reports that the third gen system is bundled in with the RDR2 bundle that slightly fixed the loud fan issue some people were experiencing.
Old 11-08-18, 12:54 PM   #30
Rob V
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiderbite View Post

I've read that the Pro does make a difference for VR. I don't recall the details. I have the VR gear and it's great... especially if you can pickup Star Wars Battlefront 1 on the very cheap.
Old 11-08-18, 01:26 PM   #31
Spiderbite
DVD Talk Legend

Cool. Thanks for the info guys, especially in regards to the VR stuff. Any other thoughts from anyone else, please comment.

Maybe Costco will have a special on the Pro. I already have an Xbox One X and the graphics quality on it is stunning.
Old 11-08-18, 04:05 PM   #32
EinCB
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Here's an excellent spread sheet detailing all games (and movies!) on sale for this black Friday. It's still being updated as we get closer.
All credit goes to StryderOmega from cheapassgamer.com.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...#gid=662098944

https://iwillvote.com/
Old 11-08-18, 04:24 PM   #33
Michael Corvin
DVD Talk Godfather

Shadow of the Tomb Raider for $30? Damnit, I gotta stop buying shit on release day. I still haven't opened mine.

Also, no deals on Spiderman so far? That's kind of a bummer.
Old 11-08-18, 04:33 PM   #34
fumanstan
DVD Talk Godfather

Quote:
Originally Posted by EinCB View Post
Here's an excellent spread sheet detailing all games (and movies!) on sale for this black Friday. It's still being updated as we get closer.
All credit goes to StryderOmega from cheapassgamer.com.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...#gid=662098944
That's handy

Old 11-08-18, 06:17 PM   #35
lwhy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gryffinmaster View Post
If 4K media isn't really a concern, go with the $200 Spider-man bundle.
I still just have HD tvs, I haven't upgraded to 4K yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fumanstan View Post
I think if Spider-Man is the game you're really itching to play, just getting the PS4 is a no-brainer.
I'm really interested in playing Spider-man, Assassin's Creed Odyssey, and Red Dead Redemption 2. I may wait until Red Dead 2 drops in price until I buy it. I think Spider-man and Assassin's Creed Odyssey will take up most of my gaming time for awhile.

I welcome any other cheap Black Friday game recommendations. I haven't really played many games since playing the first Mass Effect and Left 4 Dead on my Xbox 360. It's been awhile and I'm way overdue to get back into game.
Old 11-08-18, 06:56 PM   #36
mattysemo247
DVD Talk Legend

That Walmart ad says they have an exclusive RDR2 steelbook version. I'm curious what that looks like since I haven't opened my copy yet.
Old 11-08-18, 11:46 PM   #37
Koby
DVD Talk Special Edition

I like the $30 sale on Dragon Quest XI at Bestbuy, but considering people camp out at Bestbuy in tents in the parking lot for days prior to Black Friday for their limited door opener "big sale items", usually everything is long gone before I can check them out.
Old 11-09-18, 12:22 AM   #38
Decker
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koby View Post
I like the $30 sale on Dragon Quest XI at Bestbuy, but considering people camp out at Bestbuy in tents in the parking lot for days prior to Black Friday for their limited door opener "big sale items", usually everything is long gone before I can check them out.
Yeah, that's one I'm getting, along with $35 Soul Calibur VI and $20 Nier Automatica. I'm Elite Plus so I will be picking these up long before BF online. I'm sure they will be available to all online before the doors open in-store though.

GAME CENTER ID : DECKER 01

I haven't seen Evil Dead 2.....yet.
Old 11-09-18, 08:51 AM   #39
mattysemo247
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah you shouldn't have a problem getting any games or movies online as long as you jump on them fast enough. Most deals start just after midnight.
Old 11-09-18, 12:06 PM   #40
K&AJones
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
I still just have HD tvs, I haven't upgraded to 4K yet.

I'm really interested in playing Spider-man, Assassin's Creed Odyssey, and Red Dead Redemption 2. I may wait until Red Dead 2 drops in price until I buy it. I think Spider-man and Assassin's Creed Odyssey will take up most of my gaming time for awhile.

I welcome any other cheap Black Friday game recommendations. I haven't really played many games since playing the first Mass Effect and Left 4 Dead on my Xbox 360. It's been awhile and I'm way overdue to get back into game.
I wanted AC: Odyssey really bad but didn't play Origins. But Origins came up on the PS Store one week at 50% off so I had to ask those who played it and was getting Odyssey. Pretty much all said Origins was great, well worth it and high marks for the setting, story and extras. I've been not just happy playing it but stunned by the amount of detail, story, look and the feel of a living, active setting with all the AI's and NPC's. Truly a remarkable game with the added History & Photo Mode. I'm willing to bet this game will pop up again with a big sale price and you should give it consideration. And besides, Origins is the first of a Tri-Series where it, followed by Odyssey and what some speculate will be a Roman Theme (won't be till 2020 since Ubisoft no AC Game in 2019)

...if you like Left4Dead...that was a hoot and great to play on the 360; one of my best co-op games...look at Killing Floor 2 if it pops up. It's L4D on steroids....just don't know in terms of if a lot are playing it but they keep adding special stuff all the time and it's a blast.

"If there's nothing wrong with me, then there must be something wrong with the universe" -Dr. Crusher-Star Trek
Old 11-09-18, 01:13 PM   #41
fumanstan
DVD Talk Godfather

Quote:

God of War is my Game of the Year and $24.99 on Black Friday, so that would be my recommendation. You might lose a bit of impact story wise without having played the previous games, but it's still fun.

Old 11-09-18, 01:51 PM   #42
Osiris3657
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Appears it will be my smallest Black Friday haul for VGs ever. Only plan to get AC: Odyssey and Shadow of the Tomb Raider
Old 11-11-18, 01:37 PM   #43
lwhy?

Thanks for the recommendations everyone. I think I'm going to get God of War, Assassin's Creed Odyssey, Madden 19, and Mutant Football League Dynasty Edition. I'm interested in Grand Theft Auto V, L.A. Noire, Shadow of the Tomb Raider, Spyro Reignited, Plants vs Zombies Garden Warfare 2, Dragon Quest XI, and Bioshock The Collection too , but I don't think I'll buy them for a while. It will take me a while to run to play through my purchases including Spider-man which I'll get with my PS4.
Old 11-13-18, 12:52 PM   #44
Sonny Corinthos

GameStop Black Friday ad - https://blackfriday.com/ads/black-friday/gamestop
Old 11-13-18, 06:07 PM   #45
Ringmaster
DVD Talk Special Edition

The Spiderman/PS4 bundle is a great deal but I'm just looking to buy the game by itself.

Anyone know if this will go on sale too? The Black Friday spreadsheet doesn't list it.