Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Telltale Games shutting down

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-18, 12:19 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 188 Likes on 105 Posts
Re: Telltale Games shutting down

Wow. Telltale had a concept that should've been a clear moneymaker, but it sounds like poor management decisions did it in.

The first two Walking Dead games were pretty great. Equal to, or perhaps even better than, the television show at the height of its quality.
Old 09-24-18, 12:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker
Nope the first two episodes are already out.
Oh well then that really sucks for people that are already playing through them. I'm curious on how they are handling refunds since it's an incomplete product.
Old 09-25-18, 01:02 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Originally Posted by dvdjunkie32
I guess it will get to where online shooters are the only type of game left. Games with no replay value once the crowds move on.
What makes you think that? You make it sound like Telltale shut down for lack of interest rather then because of poor management that didn't know how to scale properly. The best games of the year so far haven't been shooters and have sold well, so I don't think there's anything to worry about there.
Old 09-25-18, 08:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hmm. I will believe it when the ink is dry on a deal.
Old 09-25-18, 08:45 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,188 Likes on 838 Posts

Originally Posted by fumanstan

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
So they fire all their staff who were working on it, with no severance pay, and now they're saying they're looking at paying 3rd parties to finish it off?

That's... pretty fucked.

I saw a post online (not sure if it's legit) saying the fired employees should just come back and finish the game off for free... for the fans.
Old 09-25-18, 09:15 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

To be fair, it doesn't say that they'll pay 3rd parties. It's more likely that a 3rd party would pay the remaining staff and upkeep it would take to finish the game.
Old 09-25-18, 09:23 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,188 Likes on 838 Posts

^ That's fair, even if it's still kind of terrible all around. Not as bad as asking employees to come back and work for free, mind you, but the whole situation sucks.
Old 09-25-18, 10:27 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 556 Likes on 407 Posts

Originally Posted by fumanstan
To be fair, it doesn't say that they'll pay 3rd parties. It's more likely that a 3rd party would pay the remaining staff and upkeep it would take to finish the game.
The remaining staff is supposed to be staying just to finish the Minecraft Netflix stuff so most likely not even people who worked on The Walking Dead.

I'm a big fan of the series and I'd much rather they let it die. They've already fucked over the people working on the game I don't want them paying different people to finish it.
Old 09-25-18, 10:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 749 Likes on 370 Posts

We're all just speculating at this point until there is more news, but I wouldn't say that it's out of the realm of possibility that the third party could be bringing on some of the laid off Telltale staffers to finish the game.
Old 09-25-18, 10:54 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,946 Likes on 1,506 Posts

I'm curious how the season pass thing works. They basically did a last minute fire sale on it, so why would another company pick it up, unless they weren't allowed to spend the proceeds of those passes fully?
Old 09-25-18, 11:05 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by The Questyen
The remaining staff is supposed to be staying just to finish the Minecraft Netflix stuff so most likely not even people who worked on The Walking Dead.

I'm a big fan of the series and I'd much rather they let it die. They've already fucked over the people working on the game I don't want them paying different people to finish it.
Originally Posted by Obi-Wan Jabroni
We're all just speculating at this point until there is more news, but I wouldn't say that it's out of the realm of possibility that the third party could be bringing on some of the laid off Telltale staffers to finish the game.
Yup, that's what I was thinking. It wouldn't necessarily be completely different staff. Given that employees were let go without severance and are hunting for jobs, it wouldn't surprise me for some former employees to be hired essentially as contractors for the next half year to finish the game since it benefits them by giving them work + more time to find a new job.

Originally Posted by fujishig
I'm curious how the season pass thing works. They basically did a last minute fire sale on it, so why would another company pick it up, unless they weren't allowed to spend the proceeds of those passes fully?
Yeah, any financials here would be weird. Depending on the company, they could just want the good PR.
Old 09-26-18, 11:56 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker
^ TWD Season 3 was an absolute shitshow. As maybe the biggest fan of the series here, I made my opinions on that title abundantly clear in the TWD game thread.
The Walking Dead Season 3 (aka "A New Frontier") was disappointing, mainly due to Clementine being a side character again, but I don't think it was bad.

Now I initially thought the final episode of TWD S3 was a dud due to the anticlimactic ending I had when I played it. But then I saw the ending below in a walkthrough video, and it's clearly the best ending for that season...

Spoiler:

...even though Kate dies in it:

On the later Telltale Games that had very different possible endings, it seems like they wrote one great ending and then a couple of other OK endings. But until you see them all, you don't know which ending was best.
Old 10-04-18, 09:03 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

https://kotaku.com/telltale-is-looki...sta-1829503254

Two weeks after Telltale Games laid off the bulk of its staff, the fate of the four-episode final season of the popular The Walking Dead series remains in question. Behind closed doors, the company continues to work on a deal that would provide for the third and fourth episodes to be finished by another company using former Telltale employees, according to two people familiar with negotiation. And the third episode is already nearly finished, those people said.
The deal is more nuanced than originally assumed, however, according to two people with knowledge of ongoing discussions, speaking anonymously because they were not authorized to talk about the negotiations. They characterized the deal taking shape as Telltale handing off the final two episodes to a separate company which would hire former Telltale employees on a contract basis to finish the game. It would be that company’s name on the paychecks, one said, and not, both claimed, a case of Telltale getting additional funds and spending it on development rather than paying severance to recently laid off employees.

Those two people also said that episode three of The Walking Dead’s final season is essentially finished. In fact, they said, it was scheduled for a ratings review, which traditionally happens in the final stages of a game’s development prior to being sent for platform certification and to the Entertainment Software Rating Board, on the very day the mass layoffs occurred. All it still needed was a couple weeks of polish.
Old 10-04-18, 09:08 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

And a nice article on The Verge about the studio and it's demise.

THE TRAGIC END OF TELLTALE GAMES
How an award-winning studio abruptly shuttered, as told by the people who were there

https://www.theverge.com/2018/10/4/1...e-walking-dead
Old 10-04-18, 09:15 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I would prefer that anyone involved in the game refuse to do this including the voice actors.
Old 10-04-18, 09:30 AM

I would guess that most/all of the voice work is already done. I don't have any insider knowledge of how the company works, but I would imagine that they write all the scripts and get the voice actors to record everything in one session.

And everyone else probably isn't in a position to turn down a paycheck at the moment.
Old 10-04-18, 11:47 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by The Questyen
I would prefer that anyone involved in the game refuse to do this including the voice actors.
Out of spite for Telltale? Since it doesn't seem like it benefits Telltale, I don't see any reason not to if it means 1) work for people and 2) completing the game as intended. I'm not sure I see the downside.

Originally Posted by Obi-Wan Jabroni
I would guess that most/all of the voice work is already done. I don't have any insider knowledge of how the company works, but I would imagine that they write all the scripts and get the voice actors to record everything in one session.

And everyone else probably isn't in a position to turn down a paycheck at the moment.
The Kotaku article mentions this the voice work.

Episode four was also on its way, those people said, with a first round of voice work for the main characters already recorded and a first review of a playable version planned for sometime around the end of September.
Old 10-06-18, 08:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

We’re SO happy to announce that we’ve reached a deal with @telltalegames that will allow Skybound to continue #TheWalkingDead: The Final Season! Let’s wrap up Clem’s story right! More details to come soon.
Old 10-06-18, 09:04 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by mattysemo247
https://mobile.twitter.com/skyboundg...35364452634626

We’re SO happy to announce that we’ve reached a deal with @telltalegames that will allow Skybound to continue #TheWalkingDead: The Final Season! Let’s wrap up Clem’s story right! More details to come soon.
Old 10-07-18, 12:18 AM

This is absolutely the best possible outcome for the game. Skybound has a vested interest in seeing the game though to fruition, and seeing it done right.

Last edited by Obi-Wanma; 10-07-18 at 12:25 AM.
Old 10-07-18, 08:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cool.

They had better honor my season pass.
Old 10-07-18, 08:51 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

That's awesome news.
Old 11-14-18, 06:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Get em while you can! The company is going through bankruptcy proceedings and their games are starting to be delisted.

Old 11-14-18, 11:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The big difference with this and when a lot of games get delisted is that almost all of these Telltale games got retail releases.
Old 11-15-18, 05:21 AM

A lot of the retail releases are "Season Pass Discs" though, with only the first episode on disc and you have to download the rest. I don't know if the season pass will redeem from the disc after the content is de-listed.

In any case, I bought the Enemy Within last night and put in the 3 season pass discs that I have and haven't played yet to make sure that the season pass was redeemed last night. Also copied my walking dead Season 2 save from my PS3 to Season 3 on PS4 using my telltale account, since I assume that will also be going away shortly.

Last edited by Obi-Wanma; 11-15-18 at 05:40 AM.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.