Playstation Classic -- With 20 preloaded games

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-18, 12:16 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,188 Likes on 838 Posts
Re: Playstation Classic -- With 20 preloaded games

Originally Posted by Mike86
If you have an original PlayStation or even a PS2 there’s this.

https://www.limitedrungames.com/prod...12789855682613
I do have a PS2 (somewhere...), so this seems cool actually.
I also saw that there's a Dreamcast cable too.
Old 10-30-18, 12:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 749 Likes on 370 Posts

If you still have a PS3, any PS3, you can still put PS1 games in and play them.
Old 10-30-18, 12:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,157 Likes on 903 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan
I do have a PS2 (somewhere...), so this seems cool actually.
I also saw that there's a Dreamcast cable too.
I still have my PS2 and while I don’t play it a bunch anymore I might grab one just to have. Seems like a pretty easy and inexpensive way to make it work with a modern tv and hopefully have it look decent.

Originally Posted by Obi-Wan Jabroni
If you still have a PS3, any PS3, you can still put PS1 games in and play them.
Yeah, but I think there are issues with PS2 backwards compatibility for some titles.
Old 10-30-18, 01:01 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,188 Likes on 838 Posts

PS2 backwards compatibility was only on the first few hardware revisions of PS3. My PS3 (a fat one that was bundled with Uncharted) doesn't have PS2 support at all, for example.

I don't think I've ever put a PS1 disc in my PS3... but I remember a friend complaining that the "upconversion" was actually worse than playing it on an original PS1 or PS2.
Old 10-30-18, 01:14 PM

I had an MGS4 bundle Phat PS3, which was the last one to support PS2 games, but it died long ago. I replaced it with a Slim PS3, which I still have. I only ever used my Phat PS3 to play a couple of PS2 games in the entire time that I had it. I have played a lot of PS1 games on PS3, I think a lot of that was due to the novelty of being able to remote play them on my PSP though. I didn't have many complaints about the resolution though. What he's talking about is probably actually the difference between playing on a digital or analog TV set. Digital makes a lot of imperfections stand out that you wouldn't notice on an analog TV.
Old 10-30-18, 01:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,157 Likes on 903 Posts

True about a digital tv bringing out more imperfections in older games. That unfortunately is inherently an issue with the early 3D consoles like PS1/2 and N64. A lot of the games from that era just haven’t aged very well from a graphics standpoint. It’s just an easy alternative for those that don’t have an analog tv still hooked up though.
Old 10-30-18, 01:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 556 Likes on 407 Posts

Originally Posted by DVD Josh
You will be able to add games to it. It will be hacked within a week of release.
Not by Sony. They aren't going to sell something just for people with hacked systems. They'll just sell a PlayStation Classic 2 in that situation.
Old 10-30-18, 01:55 PM

Received 77 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan
I don't think I've ever put a PS1 disc in my PS3... but I remember a friend complaining that the "upconversion" was actually worse than playing it on an original PS1 or PS2.
I've never had any video problems when playing PS1 games on my PS3, but the best thing about it was being able to use wireless controllers and not have to deal with memory cards.
Old 10-30-18, 01:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by The Questyen
Not by Sony. They aren't going to sell something just for people with hacked systems. They'll just sell a PlayStation Classic 2 in that situation.
I think we are talking about different things. All I care about on these things is the hardware. I'm confident I'll be able to add whatever I want to it later like the NES and SNES.
Old 10-30-18, 02:09 PM

I think we are talking about different things. All I care about on these things is the hardware. I'm confident I'll be able to add whatever I want to it later like the NES and SNES.
Even if that's true, it doesn't solve the problem of not having analog sticks for games which require them.
Old 10-30-18, 02:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Even if that's true, it doesn't solve the problem of not having analog sticks for games which require them.
Sure. Depends if we get third party controllers that have them though. I anticipate we will.
Old 10-30-18, 02:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

You stated Sony is going to sell dualshock controllers for this thing. I said they aren't and gave reasons why they wouldn't. We are talking about the same thing.
Old 10-30-18, 02:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 917 Likes on 677 Posts

You stated Sony is going to sell dualshock controllers for this thing. I said they aren't and gave reasons why they wouldn't. We are talking about the same thing.
All Josh was talking about was being able to hack the thing and load other games to it.
Old 10-30-18, 03:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Noonan
All Josh was talking about was being able to hack the thing and load other games to it.
It takes us old timers to understand things more clearly. We are the Grandpa Simpsons of the forum
Old 10-30-18, 06:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow, my list didn't even come close.

I don't know who chose that list and decided to include so many cross-platform games and only three RPGs, with just one of those published by Sony and exclusive to the console. Revelations: Persona coming out of nowhere. I don't get this list at all.

But—I'll keep my preorder. There's enough on here to make it worthwhile to me.

Last edited by Breakfast with Girls; 11-01-18 at 07:22 AM.
Old 10-30-18, 07:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Noonan
No what I was responding to what his exact quote "This being Sony I'm sure they are going to sell you a dualshock though".

That has nothing to do with hacking and loading other games. Don't butt into conversations if you don't know what you're talking about.
Old 10-30-18, 07:22 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,210 Likes on 4,236 Posts

Yeah, even if you could hack the system, call it a hunch but I STRONGLY doubt that Sony would manufacture and sell a peripheral to allow you to play those pirated games on your hacked system.
Old 10-30-18, 07:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

No what I was responding to what his exact quote "This being Sony I'm sure they are going to sell you a dualshock though".

That has nothing to do with hacking and loading other games. Don't butt into conversations if you don't know what you're talking about.
Are you normally this unbalanced when participating in internet forums about video game systems, or is it a medication thing?
Old 10-30-18, 08:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Regarding the controllers, the ports appear to be USB, even though they have that facade around them to make them look like the old connectors when plugged in. So you might be able to just use a DualShock 3/4, or something else common.

As for hacking to add games, bear in mind that there might not be a lot of space left. The NES and SNES Classics had room for lots of games because the storage requirements were very low compared to the PSX - especially if you're dealing with original ROMs that have not had their redbook audio compressed. You're going to need some external storage.
Old 10-30-18, 08:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Drexl
Regarding the controllers, the ports appear to be USB, even though they have that facade around them to make them look like the old connectors when plugged in. So you might be able to just use a DualShock 3/4, or something else common.

As for hacking to add games, bear in mind that there might not be a lot of space left. The NES and SNES Classics had room for lots of games because the storage requirements were very low compared to the PSX - especially if you're dealing with original ROMs that have not had their redbook audio compressed. You're going to need some external storage.
It may be possible to reflash the RAM in order to remove games you don't want. I have to do that with my SNES classic.
Old 10-30-18, 08:39 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,210 Likes on 4,236 Posts

I'm pretty sure that the discussion of modding consoles is prohibited on this forum.

Let's just move on.
Old 10-30-18, 08:39 PM

The NES and SNES classic can also be hacked to accept USB storage, and expand the available space.
Old 10-30-18, 08:40 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,641 Likes on 2,613 Posts

I'm not as nitpicky about the game selection. So I'll keep my pre-order going. Looks like no retailer as of right now, especially Amazon, has pre-orders available.

I only had a PS1 for a short period of time, so I wasn't as heavily exposed to the games. I mostly played sports games.

What are the chances this becomes another hard to find item like the Nintendo devices? Or do you think Sony will fully meet any demand once it's officially released.
Old 10-30-18, 08:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

The NES and SNES classic can also be hacked to accept USB storage, and expand the available space.
I did not know that, but I think you can fit nearly every NES game ever onto the classic, but the SNES is more stingy. I know some folks have modded it for additional storage.
Old 11-05-18, 08:22 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I still think this is a pretty decent selection of games. There was always going to be pissed off people because of a couple of reasons:

1. A lot of the games that people wanted were only playable after the dual shock came out, and since they aren't including one playing them is not possible.

2.The PlayStation had close to 8,000 games released for it, so the system was bound to go and leave out some people's favorites.

3. A lot of the games people wanted are being remade in the future(Medevil), being remade now(Resident Evil 2), have licensing issues(Gran Tourismo) or have other collections just released that companies did not want to cut into their profits(Castlevania, Spyro and Crash).

But overall I find the list pretty decent. The only real WTF? for me incluson was Rainbow Six.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.