Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Streets of Rage 4 - (coming: TBA)

Old 08-27-18, 10:17 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Legend

Received 133 Likes on 94 Posts
Streets of Rage 4 - (coming: TBA)

Holy shit, y'all.

This needs Yuzo Koshiro doing the in-game music. I really hope he's involved.
Old 08-27-18, 01:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Re: Streets of Rage 4 - (coming: TBA)

Don't care for the art style at all.
Old 08-27-18, 01:13 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Please, don't suck.
Old 08-27-18, 01:17 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 9 Likes on 1 Post

It's kind of nice to see the side scrolling beat em up games make a come back. I could see myself paying $15 or something for it
Old 08-27-18, 01:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts

Looks great! If they can capture the fun of the old games without trying to modernize it too much, this could be a super fun release.
Old 08-28-18, 12:54 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Please don't be a mobile game like Crazy Taxi.
Old 08-28-18, 07:57 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Legend

The art style works for me. The folks working on it are the same that did Wonder Boy so I feel like it's in good hands.
Old 08-28-18, 08:03 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Legend

Hope this GIF embed works.
Spoiler:
<iframe src='https://gfycat.com/ifr/ImpolitePlasticAustraliankelpie' frameborder='0' scrolling='no' allowfullscreen width='640' height='360'></iframe>

via Gfycat

Old 03-16-20, 11:42 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Old 03-16-20, 11:44 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Streets of Rage 4 from @Dotemu, @Lizardcube, & @Guard_Crush gets a Limited Run on Friday, March 20. Standard and Classic physical editions will be available to pre-order for PS4 & Switch on limitedrungames.com starting at 10am ET on 3/20 until a week after digital release.

For those who are looking for more goodies: we’ll have an ultra-tricked-out Limited Edition later upon the release of Streets of Rage 4. We’ll have more details about this Limited Edition at a later date.
Old 04-30-20, 09:39 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Legend

It's now up on Game Pass for those who want to give it a shot. I played last night for about four hours and beat the game on regular difficulty. Unlocked a classic character, too. The music, by Olivier Deriviere (with some involvement by the classic composers Yuzo Koshiro & Motohiro Kawashima) is great, IMO, and has a legacy/retro option to make it sound more like the first 3 games. The gameplay is great, and regular difficulty is a little challenging, but fair. I may actually try the next difficulty up, as it will include more unlocks of characters/stuff.
Achievements didn't seem to be working for me last night... not a single one redeemed even though there are a bunch I definitely should have got. Hopefully that's fixed today.

It feels like a Streets of Rage game in all the right ways.

Edit: Play as Cherry. She's the best.

Last edited by Dan; 04-30-20 at 01:14 PM.
Old 04-30-20, 10:42 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Added stuff

Old 05-01-20, 09:12 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Legend

^ snagged the tri-color vinyl

Beat the game on Normal again last night. Still using Cherry, but I'm going to change it up soon.
I also played 2 stages on Mania difficulty. it was kind of insane. I don't think the enemies are much harder, but there's so many more of them, and dropping two mini-bosses in places where there was previously just one was a fun surprise.

This game is really fun, and I'm enjoying it way more than I originally expected. The very first gameplay footage left a lot to be desired, but they've improved it so much since then, it's damn near perfect for this kind of game.

Digital Foundry did a nice video on the technical stuff that's worth checking out. The game plays identically on all systems (with the exception of PC Game Pass which people are having problems with for some reason).

Skip to 12:37 if you want to avoid all the SoR1,2,3 stuff and get right into SoR4.

Old 05-06-20, 12:45 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Legend

Play this game, you cowards!

I'm still having a lot of fun with this. Got all the way to the final boss in Boss Rush mode (you get one life, but you get food every time you beat a boss).
I'm also on the very last level in Mania difficulty on story mode, but I just don't think I can make it to the end. I'm stuck just before the star-throwing ninja cops.

Seriously, though, this game is too fun. It's mindless, but I love it.
Old 05-06-20, 02:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts

I’m loving it. My brother and I are up to the last level playing online, but it kept freezing on us today.
Old 05-13-20, 09:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Last week, another physical edition of Streets of Rage 4 was revealed to the public. This didn't go down particularly well with a number of fans who had already forked out for the Limited Run version. As a result of this, Dotemu has now released a statement apologising to both Limited Run and fans for the missteps it made. You can read it in full below:

Dotemu Apologises For Confusion Caused By Different Physical Editions Of Streets Of Rage 4 - Nintendo Life
Old 05-14-20, 12:50 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 467 Likes on 281 Posts

Wow that is a weak sauce apology. We didn't realize that your Limited Run version was supposed to be the only physical version, even though that is the company's entire selling point. Our bad. We'll try to do better next time.
Old 05-14-20, 08:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

I haven’t played yet, but have access on Xbox One as part of Game Pass. But none of my friends have an Xbox. Is it worth “re-buying” for PS4 just to play online with a friend?
Old 05-14-20, 09:07 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Decker View Post
Wow that is a weak sauce apology. We didn't realize that your Limited Run version was supposed to be the only physical version, even though that is the company's entire selling point. Our bad. We'll try to do better next time.
To be fair... Limited Run clarified their own policy on all of this and you're not quite right. While Dotemu absolutely blindsided them by having another deal with another physical vendor, Limited Run pointed out that nothing in their own contracts prohibits this, and they actually let the rights-owners maintain full control over that aspect for every deal, so typically after Limited Run (not by contract, but by... like... common decency...) has done their thing, the other company can still go forward and seek new physical media deals without any pushback from LR. The problem was... I don't think this has ever happened to LR where a company went forward with another deal so close to when LR announced and started taking pre-orders.

So yeah... Dotemu fucked up big time. LR was blindsided, as was anyone who thought the LR copies were the only thing going on currently. But, technically, LR doesn't prohibit this in their deals and although they may historically be the only physical versions available for many titles, the rights-owners could make a deal for new copies with another retailer if they wanted to. It's just downright dumb that Dotemu went and negotiated two deals happening around the same time. I get why folks are mad about it. I'm just glad I didn't buy any of the physical copies and stuck with the Game Pass version (for now). Once it's leaving Game Pass, I'll probably just buy it digitally. The only physical thing I wanted from this was the vinyl, and I got my order in for that.

Anyway, back to the game... I can't beat Stage 12 on Mania mode. Too fucking hard. I can get up to the ninja-star cops, but then I'm already down to no health/lives and I'm screwed.
I love it.
Originally Posted by bluetoast View Post
I haven’t played yet, but have access on Xbox One as part of Game Pass. But none of my friends have an Xbox. Is it worth “re-buying” for PS4 just to play online with a friend?
I haven't done any online play, but from what I hear, it can be a bit wonky. If any user drops (for whatever reason) the game ends, even if the host is still there. And people get random drops based on connections and whatnot so it can be a pain. I'm not sure how much of that has been resolved.
Also, for what it's worth, last I checked, the Xbox version was a patch or two behind the other consoles. So it's missing some menu options, and quality fixes. I think the PS4/Switch/standard-PC versions are the most up-to-date, but PC Game Pass version was also broken in some way.
Old 05-14-20, 09:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Thanks, Dan. I’ll test it out on GamePass before committing. My main group of 3 friends (even though this is 2p online) sometimes end up buying new games to play as a group and never touch them (and I’m guilty of that too) - leading some people to refuse to buy new games, and we all end up back on our own games or splitting off to two-player games from time to time
Old 05-14-20, 09:50 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Legend

^ right, I forgot... 4-player co-op is for local play. 2-player co-op is online play. I hope, for the sake of those who want it, 4-player online play is added.
Old 05-30-20, 12:04 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i started this last night and haven't played a beat em up in years, but it is pretty difficult for me on normal difficulty solo. haven't found a good character/play style yet. i'm on the third stage and just getting my ass kicked. it's basically me praying i can get to boss with enough lives left to survive.
Old 06-03-20, 11:19 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts

Been playing it on the Switch.
Game's great! But it is more difficult than I'm used to these days.