Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Arcade 1UP

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-23, 06:37 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,743 Likes on 1,889 Posts
Re: Arcade 1UP

I'm guessing that that Pac-Man XL machine doesn't have Ms. Pac-Man on it?

Has Arcade1Up ever released Pac-Man and Ms. Pac-Man on the same machine?

I think that there's some different ownership between Pac-Man and Ms. Pac-Man, but Arcade1Up seems to have the rights to both. But I don't think they've ever put them on the same machine. Is there a legal hang-up preventing them including both on the same machine? Nasty divorce? Or just Arcade1Up being dicks and wanting people to buy two machines?

I can't justify having two separate machines just to get Pac-Man. I already have three of the damned things (Tempest Legacy, Ms Pac-Man 40th, and Defender 40th) and that feels like enough. Probably some way to hack the Ms Pac-Man machine to drop the original Pac-Man MAME in it, though. Might have to look into that...

If they did XL versions of Tempest Legacy, Ms Pac-Man 40, and Defender 40, I might consider upgrading all three, but I don't mind the smaller profile of the standard machines. I only have so much space in my home bar, and the Iron Maiden Legacy of the Beast pinball machine takes up a lot of space, too.
Old 09-21-23, 09:08 AM
Political Exile

Received 481 Likes on 317 Posts

Yeah, Ms Pac-Man and Pac-Man have never shared an Arcade1up machine, although I believe your Ms Pac-Man 40th has Pac-Man Plus along with Super Pac-Man and the others on it which should scratch that itch.

I picked up the XL mainly to encourage 1up to continue to upgrade their existing machines to XL (mainly for the 19" monitor). I guess they did one before with NBA Jam, but I wasn't interested in that one. But yeah, my dream would be a Tempest or Centipede XL model with a vertical 19" monitor. I don't necessarily want the larger cabinet either, but the extra 4 inches should still fit in the existing space (that's what she said), although I am planning on moving some existing cabinets to my basement to clear out some space on my main level.

This isn't my photo, I pulled it from an Arcade1up facebook group, but it'll give you the idea of the size difference between the standard cabinet (left), the deluxe cabinet (middle) and the new XL cabinet on the right.

Old 10-30-23, 01:24 PM
Political Exile

Originally Posted by PerryD
Pac-Man XL finally showed up at my local Costco, I picked it up over lunch.
I put together the Pac-Man XL last night. I moved 4 1up cabinets into the basement to open up some space in my kitchen-cade. The XL about the same height and depth as Tron so looks good next to it. It's three inches wider so more accurate to the real arcade unit but looks a little fat next to the current 1ups. The larger 19" monitor is really nice. Really hope they continue with the XL line.

The following 4 users liked this post by PerryD:
andicus (10-30-23), PhantomStranger (11-01-23), Sonny Corinthos (11-08-23), story (11-06-23)
Old 10-30-23, 01:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 252 Likes on 187 Posts

Looks nice and glad to hear your thoughts on the XL cabinet. There’s one coming out next year I was interested in. Think it’s Marvel vs Capcom 2.
Old 11-08-23, 01:45 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 962 Likes on 669 Posts

Now $449 at Walmart <---- ETA: Looks like they sold out at the sale price, showing a different seller now.

It's definitely worth it for that price, plenty of fun family games. But I'm not sure why in the photos for the product, they show teens/young adults playing Candyland
They had one of these in Costco and I feel like they are really going to have to try to convince people to get one of these. The demo unit didn't convince me at all. The few games I checked out weren't appealing at all. They weren't even demos just videos of what the games are and a bunch of them, like Operation, reduced the board game to a stupid minigame that you could easily play on your phone. Why would I need a gaming table for that? And as big as it is it's just not big enough. Not for what they are expecting you to do with it. Gather around it with a bunch of people to play? Doesn't seem like it would be really comfortable. And certainly not worth $500 when you could easily enough just gather around a game board.
Old 11-08-23, 01:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,023 Likes on 813 Posts

Originally Posted by tanman
They had one of these in Costco and I feel like they are really going to have to try to convince people to get one of these. The demo unit didn't convince me at all. The few games I checked out weren't appealing at all. They weren't even demos just videos of what the games are and a bunch of them, like Operation, reduced the board game to a stupid minigame that you could easily play on your phone. Why would I need a gaming table for that? And as big as it is it's just not big enough. Not for what they are expecting you to do with it. Gather around it with a bunch of people to play? Doesn't seem like it would be really comfortable. And certainly not worth $500 when you could easily enough just gather around a game board.
If we were at the same Costco, they only had the 18.5" Gameboard on display, the table is 32".

But yeah, it's just a jumbo tablet. It's a novel concept but $500 (board) / $1000 (table) is a lot.
Old 11-08-23, 05:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 403 Likes on 303 Posts

I like the idea of the tables (my Costco also had the tablet) as well but maybe if they were $200. Even then it’s steep for what it does.
Old 11-22-23, 05:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,081 Likes on 656 Posts

Some of you stand-up arcade fans may want to be on the lookout for this at your local Ollies:

The following users liked this post:
Sonny Corinthos (11-26-23)
Old 11-22-23, 12:59 PM
Political Exile

Arcade1up dropped the prices for some of their Deluxe models (no risers) from $499 to $399 which isn't bad for a new release, getting it at Kohl's will net you $80 bonus kohls cash. I'm contemplating Dragon's Lair which is down to $499 which is still a little out of my price point for that one. It's too early for Time Crisis to see any discounting, but that's the only other cabinet that I'm considering for now.
Old 11-22-23, 01:02 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,207 Likes on 4,234 Posts

Have you moved your collection to the basement yet?
Old 11-22-23, 01:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,659 Likes on 1,035 Posts

Yeah I'm keeping an eye out for Time Crisis to drop a bit.
Old 11-22-23, 01:41 PM
Political Exile

Originally Posted by Decker
Have you moved your collection to the basement yet?
if you scroll up, you'll see what I have in my kitchen area. The photo below is what my basement arcade setup looks like right now. I have enough space that I could put all of my machines in the basement, but right now, having them split keeps both areas more open and spacious. I have a recently purchased Marvel Vs Capcom 2 cab that I'll put in the basement, and a Simpsons cabinet that I'll probably keep upstairs that I still need to assemble.
The following 2 users liked this post by PerryD:
Decker (11-24-23), Nesbit (11-22-23)
Old 11-24-23, 09:08 AM
Political Exile

Arcade1up dropped the prices for some of their Deluxe models (no risers) from $499 to $399 which isn't bad for a new release, getting it at Kohl's will net you $80 bonus kohls cash. I'm contemplating Dragon's Lair which is down to $499 which is still a little out of my price point for that one.
Kohl's increased their bonus cash back promotion to 30%, so I picked up Dragon's Lair, and I'll get $175 to spend at Kohl's on Dec 1st.
Old 11-26-23, 01:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 219 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by Spiderbite
Some of you stand-up arcade fans may want to be on the lookout for this at your local Ollies:

I really wanted this, but due to some unexpected expenses, I wasn't able to get one.
Old 11-26-23, 08:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 812 Likes on 686 Posts

Originally Posted by Spiderbite

The location I visited last week had the Simpsons arcade. I would have gotten it but I simply don't have a practical area to set one up.
Old 12-09-23, 12:36 PM
Political Exile

People in my 1up Facebook groups are seeing discounting for the Pac-Man XL at Costco at $399 or $499. I wonder if I could get a price adjustment, but I was fine with the original price.

Old 12-10-23, 05:16 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 217 Likes on 130 Posts

Not sure whether to post here or in deals, but if anyone was looking an Ollie’s for one of these, they’re having a special sale tonight for members of their free rewards program. From 6 - 10 pm, toys are an extra 25% off and everything else in the store is 15% off. Not sure how they classify the arcades, but another $45 - $75 off is a pretty solid deal.
Old 01-05-24, 05:03 PM
Political Exile

I have a recently purchased Marvel Vs Capcom 2 cab that I'll put in the basement, and a Simpsons cabinet that I'll probably keep upstairs that I still need to assemble.
Kohl's increased their bonus cash back promotion to 30%, so I picked up Dragon's Lair, and I'll get $175 to spend at Kohl's on Dec 1st.
I put together Marvel Vs Capcom 2 and Dragon's Lair over the holidays, and put them in my basement. I'll probably move Star Wars down there soon next to the Ms Pac Man Class of 81 cabinet. I'm not sure if I love the layout, but it will allow me to add a third row back to back with my second row. I'll add that Dragon's Lair is just as impossible to play as I remember it as a kid, but at least it's not costing me 50 cents a pop to play, but I love it so far. I haven't played MvC2 yet, but I played the home versions a ton, so I know what to expect there.

You can also see that I added one of those mini-fridge risers with wheels under the MK2 cabinet. It has a bad viewing angle to the screen and I've been meaning to try something like this out. I choose the one with the wheels to help (like today) when I want to move it around. I just ordered a second one for the SF2 cabinet to keep them at the same height. Interestingly, the MvC2 cabinet control deck is already as high as the boosted MK2, so the three cabinets will look good side by side.

I still have the Simpsons cabinet to put together, the main delay there is that in addition to the time to assemble, there is a soft mod that can add a new splash menu and additional games (mainly the TMNT arcade games is what I want to add), so there is some extra planning involved there. I am also considering ordering a new marquee with both TMNT and Simpsons on it that I've seen others purchase.
The following 2 users liked this post by PerryD:
PhantomStranger (01-05-24), story (01-05-24)
Old 01-15-24, 12:21 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,883 Likes on 1,239 Posts

Definitely YMMV, but…!

Old 01-15-24, 02:43 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 403 Likes on 303 Posts

Sold out. But I think it was $199 last year.