Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

RAGE 2: Xbox One / PS4 / PC

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-19, 08:46 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 120 Likes on 108 Posts
Re: RAGE 2: Xbox One / PS4 / PC

Originally Posted by dsa_shea
I watched this one and frankly he covered it all and did a really good job of talking about everything. Granted his was off the PC Version, he did mention a little on the Console Versions with the visuals along with some parts of the audio had issues....which seems the visuals/graphics are causing some problems even with decent PC Rigs

Base on what he presented & said, it's inline with about majority of the other reviews.....Pros - Great action, gun play, character movement fluid....Cons - Everything outside of it feels flat, un-inspirational, no clear direction, vehicles feel under power, open world feels too thin and a void and NPC's a little lame
Old 05-16-19, 09:05 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 923 Likes on 776 Posts

Originally Posted by K&AJones
I watched this one and frankly he covered it all and did a really good job of talking about everything. Granted his was off the PC Version, he did mention a little on the Console Versions with the visuals along with some parts of the audio had issues....which seems the visuals/graphics are causing some problems even with decent PC Rigs

Base on what he presented & said, it's inline with about majority of the other reviews.....Pros - Great action, gun play, character movement fluid....Cons - Everything outside of it feels flat, un-inspirational, no clear direction, vehicles feel under power, open world feels too thin and a void and NPC's a little lame
i saw that one. it was very good review. long, but very good. i think i'm going to like. they do need to patch the speed of the menus though. they are just buggy and such a slog.
Old 05-17-19, 04:04 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 404 Likes on 304 Posts

I took a chance on it. Had some Best Buy certainly and after GC it was $30. I like it but it’s tough on normal. That being said it is very bland as others have said. Playing it makes me hope it’s not a long game. I’ll sell it as soon as I finish it. Or sooner. Lol.
Old 05-17-19, 08:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts

I enjoy the game but only an hour or two at a time. This really could have been a Borderlands like game with added creatures and bosses spread throughout the desolate map, along with some online co-op. Throw in a variety of weapons and you have it.
Old 05-17-19, 08:36 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Well, FWIW....E3 is three weeks away and for now not much on Bethesda's presser and presentation except the main focus will be...Doom: Eternal....however some say DLC for Rage 2 will show up so for those on the fence might want to see do a "wait & see" especially in the past there has been deals on games around the event. I for one want more on Doom Eternal.....
Old 05-17-19, 11:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

There is already a road map of content for Rage 2. It's unfortunate that they put so much thought into the DLC of a game before they even put out the final version of the game itself. They should just include all of it, as it feels like those are the things that might be missing to make the game feel more like a complete package. There is way too much emptiness and same feeling when driving from place to place and clearing out goons.
Old 05-19-19, 07:50 PM

I dunno. I played some more. I’m not sure if I’m having fun with it. Everything seems off from what I love about the fluidity of the FPS I really get addicted to. The controls seem off. The shooting and aiming. The driving is ok. Not as bad as I expected. Easier than some. But not fluid like Borderlands is. That one is best driving I have found. Basic and easy. This isn’t bad, but little cumbersome. Granted I didn’t do first story mission yet. Mostly finding Ark stuff in those hideouts and killing some stupid sentries. Everything so close together thus far. Seems like a small, closed world thus far, but again it’s early. I really hope it gets better. Seems like so much potential. Kinda getting a Far Cry 5 feeling about what I’ve been doing, which certainly isn’t a bad thing, but still not addicting yet. Hope it all changes and definite patches are needed.
Old 05-19-19, 08:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The shooting in this game is just fine. Doing the same things again and again is not. However, that is what you end up doing in most open world games nowadays. Same mission types with different names and or enemies. I do like cruising around on the Icarus. In fact, it is my preferred vehicle for travel.
Old 05-20-19, 05:05 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 404 Likes on 304 Posts

I couldn’t take it anymore. I got rid of it. Very disappointing game.
Old 05-20-19, 08:04 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Sad to hear so far especially when it was unveiled last year and all the hype surrounding it....it was one of the key games coming this year....based on the 'Trailers"....... I read some more reviews and forums but pretty much the review at Gamespot with this line seems to sum up what all are saying... https://www.gamespot.com/reviews/rag.../1900-6417138/

Rage 2's biggest issue is that it's structurally bare; most of its wasteland is made up of short, fragmented activities that hardly ask much from you and don't lead to anything worthwhile.

Rage 2 also lacks an identifiable charisma, which is disappointing for a post-apocalyptic world. While it makes a good first impression by kicking off with an unhinged, in-your-face attitude, it unfortunately never builds upon it.

With E3 around the corner and what seems to be the central focus for Bethesda...Doom Eternal...I'm somewhat worried about the hype and trailers for it painting a awesome game...like Rage 2...only to have that end up a lackluster game. So far Bethesad hasn't exactly been knocking it out; first with Fallout 76, now Rage 2....we'll see what happens with the new Doom game....for now I'll go back to Doom or Far Cry 5 which both needs finished.
Old 05-20-19, 11:37 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,209 Likes on 4,236 Posts

Sound like I should probably return my Deluxe Edition rather than opening it, right? I got the pre-order bonus already, so I can always pick it up later on the cheap or play it when it comes to Game Pass eventually.
Old 05-20-19, 01:23 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,884 Likes on 1,239 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker
Sound like I should probably return my Deluxe Edition rather than opening it, right?
If I were doing this all over again, I wouldn't have bought the Deluxe, at least not on day one. Apparently Rage 2 had a very soft launch, so I'm sure the price will plummet even faster than Bethesda titles usually do. So, yeah, it might be worth returning it and re-purchasing it when it's cheap/free.

It's not an awful game, but it's as mediocre as they come. I have most of the weapons and all but one of the abilities, but for the most part, I just use the boring old assault rifle (breaking out the smart missile launcher when fighting mechs), and I rarely use the offensive abilities. Driving's boring (although there's an oversized drone I just unlocked). Combat's no great shakes. None of the characters I've encountered are particularly interesting. I couldn't really tell you what's going on with the story. I'm about 12 hours in and pretty eager to just get it over with. And you're talking to someone who 100%-ed Just Cause 4! My standards are the lowest of the low, and yet...

It's kinda funny because I grudgingly picked up Far Cry: New Dawn, thinking it looked like a watered-down version of the glory of Rage 2. I wound up loving New Dawn, and I'm at best tolerating Rage 2.
Old 05-20-19, 03:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 445 Likes on 312 Posts

Yeah, the hover-car/copter thing is ESSENTIAL for getting around.
If I hadn't unlocked that, I probably would've given up on the game as well.
Old 05-23-19, 10:08 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

The game's actually started to come together for me. Moving deeper into the map required a change of tactics, since the Shrouded can be a hassle with just an assault rifle. That got me in the groove of using my abilities more (except for the shield, for whatever reason). The assault rifle and the charged pulse cannon are my two go-tos, with the hyper-cannon (especially for the huge mutants) and rocket launcher in reserve. I've played through half of the 8 (?!) main story missions and am most of the way through clearing out the icons on the map. It's still definitely a whole lot of the same, but I'm enjoying it more. I'm really far along the many, many upgrade trees, and I'm hoping to have all the useful stuff completely maxed out by the time I go back to the story.
Old 05-25-19, 04:38 PM

is there a fool proof way of defibrilating oneself when die first time, because even though i finished the tutorial with some fails, i can't figure out how to make the X or Y charge? sometimes i get it, but not sure of the timing and when to press each and more often then not can't do it and only restores 10% health as a give me or something. thanks.
Old 05-25-19, 04:59 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Originally Posted by OldBoy
is there a fool proof way of defibrilating oneself when die first time
It's not explained very well, but it's a cakewalk once you know what to look for. (I felt like I had to figure this out myself, despite the little tutorial deal beforehand.)

So, there are two circles for each spot. There's the default circle that's fixed and stationary, then there's the bigger circle that shrinks over time. You want to press the corresponding button when the shrinking circle is within the default circle. If you press the button too early (when the shrinking circle is still larger than the container circle), it won't count, and you obviously don't want the shrinking circle to shrink completely. It's a timing thing, but it's pretty generous.

and only restores 10% health as a give me or something. thanks.
When you max out the upgrades (with 4 buttons to press), it'll restore you to 100% health.

I finished the game yesterday! Maxed out all but two weapons. I only have some of the wingstick upgrades and the roving vendor stuff under projects. I believe I got all of the ability upgrades except for the barrier (which I never use). Got around half the Phoenix upgrades. I definitely love that feeling of being obnoxiously overpowered.
Old 05-25-19, 06:44 PM

Thanks Adam. I’ll give it ago tomorrow sometime. I thought I had it, would get 1 out of 2 shocks, but never both and now not even 1. I’ll figure it out.
Also, where do you see what level you’re at? I scrolled through every laggy, cumbersome menu tab and didn’t see what level and who I can take on. I know I got my ass handed to me at a level 5 or 6 den, but no idea what I am.
Old 05-25-19, 07:33 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

AFAIK, you as a player don’t have a level. The numbers on the locations are just a general sense of difficulty. But you can technically take them on whenever you want, and on a one-on-one basis, you’re not at any meaningful disadvantage.
Old 05-25-19, 07:44 PM

I dunno, when I went into this level 6 den Yoeman or something like that I got ass handed to me everytime. So I left it and did other missions, went to GunBarrel Town or whatever to meet that old grumpy guy Marshall. Lot more missions opened up. I’m certainly not hating it at all. I’m not loving the targeting, but not that bad. And the driving isn’t as bad as I feared it might be. Just got shotgun which is always fun. Gonna have to try it in Yoeman soon...
Old 05-26-19, 08:22 PM

I’m really starting to enjoy this game. Really. Much different than anticipated after giving up on 1. I mean, yes, similar things to do, but I just killed Lug the Nug or whoever, after multiple deaths and failed debribilations. Now with 3 shocks to deal with. Getting better at it and once got all 3 and gave me like 75% heath, but I can at least get 2 sometimes. But getting hang nonetheless. Driving and going into these dens is not entirely dissimilar from Borderlands and yes repetitive, but using the feltrite or nano stuff or whatever is fun. Even though they need to fucking patch those menus. It’s god awful. It can’t be too hard to patch. Anyway, I’m liking more and more as I go along...
Old 05-27-19, 08:48 PM

Has there been any announcement of patches or whatever to fix some broken stuff? If that happened, this game would be even more the tits.
Old 05-28-19, 09:40 PM

Originally Posted by Adam Tyner
AFAIK, you as a player don’t have a level. The numbers on the locations are just a general sense of difficulty. But you can technically take them on whenever you want, and on a one-on-one basis, you’re not at any meaningful disadvantage.
Ok, you say that, but when I go into weapons menu, it says a certain mod will be unlocked at level 2 and other things (weapons, vehicles, etc) can be found or open at certain levels. But I don’t see any leveling and I certainly have done enough to be above level 2...
Old 05-28-19, 10:07 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Ok, you say that, but when I go into weapons menu, it says a certain mod will be unlocked at level 2 and other things (weapons, vehicles, etc) can be found or open at certain levels. But I don’t see any leveling and I certainly have done enough to be above level 2...
Look closer. The weapon perks are divided into tiers. You “buy” tiers with feltrite. They’re not unlocked with XP or whatever.

And, sure, there’s stuff that unlocks as you build experience with those three partners.

There aren’t levels, to the best of my knowledge, in the sense of “oh, this is a level 7 camp, and I’m level 5, so my weapons are only going to do 60% damage against them”. A goon is a goon is a goon. Your assault rifle (without additional perks, anyway) doesn’t do more damage when you’re at level 14 than it does when you’re at level 3.

I could be mistaken, but I don’t think I am. The difficulty you see at camps and stuff basically reflects what types of enemies there are, how many you have to fight, and maybe what kind of cover and stuff you have to work with. I could maybe believe bad guys at higher level camps are more aggressive or maybe have a wider variety of weapons, but when I was clearing the map out, I’d sometimes go from a level 7 to a level 2, and on an enemy-by-enemy basis, they really didn’t seem any different. I mean, vanilla goons versus the Shrouded, sure, there are differences, but one dude at one camp versus the same type of dude at a different camp at a different difficulty...identical.

There are so many different currencies and skill trees that I forget if there’s a generic level for you as a character, or if the only levels are tied to your three partners.

Last edited by Adam Tyner; 05-28-19 at 10:16 PM.
Old 05-29-19, 06:50 PM

Originally Posted by Adam Tyner
Look closer. The weapon perks are divided into tiers. You “buy” tiers with feltrite. They’re not unlocked with XP or whatever.

And, sure, there’s stuff that unlocks as you build experience with those three partners.

There aren’t levels, to the best of my knowledge, in the sense of “oh, this is a level 7 camp, and I’m level 5, so my weapons are only going to do 60% damage against them”. A goon is a goon is a goon. Your assault rifle (without additional perks, anyway) doesn’t do more damage when you’re at level 14 than it does when you’re at level 3.

I could be mistaken, but I don’t think I am. The difficulty you see at camps and stuff basically reflects what types of enemies there are, how many you have to fight, and maybe what kind of cover and stuff you have to work with. I could maybe believe bad guys at higher level camps are more aggressive or maybe have a wider variety of weapons, but when I was clearing the map out, I’d sometimes go from a level 7 to a level 2, and on an enemy-by-enemy basis, they really didn’t seem any different. I mean, vanilla goons versus the Shrouded, sure, there are differences, but one dude at one camp versus the same type of dude at a different camp at a different difficulty...identical.

There are so many different currencies and skill trees that I forget if there’s a generic level for you as a character, or if the only levels are tied to your three partners.
i understand no character leveling, but the menus (weapon) i believe says "Unlocked at Level 2" or something. Some vehicles say "Unlocked at Level 10". That's what i don't get. look at those and let me know if you see what i see...

i dunno. it's just that some dens i get my ass kicked over and over. but the thrill of victory and then finding (so me are hard) and getting all the stuff is more than little worthwhile

Last edited by OldBoy; 05-29-19 at 06:56 PM.
Old 05-29-19, 08:26 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

You get the best vehicle of the game when you level up one of your partners to 10. The colors of the locations on the map correspond to one of your three partners in Project Dagger. Complete the locations of one color until that partner is at 10, and it’ll unlock. You’ll see the levels for each partner on the map menu.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.