DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Video Game Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk-15/)
-   -   Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice - (2019 From Software) PS4, Xbox One (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk/644308-sekiro-shadows-die-twice-2019-software-ps4-xbox-one.html)

OldBoy 03-22-19 07:57 PM

Re: Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice - (2019 From Software) PS4, Xbox One

Holy fuck ign’s review was amazing. This looks amazing! Buying in 3...2....

dsa_shea 03-22-19 08:34 PM

The internet is a place full of wonder. It's also a place where you no longer have to wonder.

OldBoy 03-22-19 08:44 PM

With such low Gb dl, I’m surprised it’s so lush and long. Figured it would be 50+, but think I saw less then 13...

slop101 03-22-19 09:56 PM

Let us know how hard it is - I'm staying away for now because I heard it was even more difficult than the Souls/Borne games.

RichC2 03-22-19 10:12 PM

What's funny is so far, this is exactly what Nioh was sold to be but wasn't (Souls + Gaiden). I think Nioh controlled better, but I already like the game layout in this substantially better.

The only disappointing thing is the intro areas aren't a trial by fire like Bloodborne and Souls, kinda easy so far tho I'm sure that'll change

dsa_shea 03-22-19 11:23 PM

I actually heard that this has more checkpoints than the other From Software games. Also, if you are good at parrying and riposting, you can kick some ass in this game.

OldBoy 03-23-19 12:03 PM

how does space work on these games? why is a lush, long game such as this only 13GB, when most others are well beyond 20 and even way passed 50 on a lot of the newer games out now?

Maxflier 03-23-19 02:06 PM

Think I’m about to shelf this one already. I don’t care for the combat at all.

slop101 03-23-19 03:11 PM

Originally Posted by OldBoy (Post 13521509)
how does space work on these games? why is a lush, long game such as this only 13GB, when most others are well beyond 20 and even way passed 50 on a lot of the newer games out now?

There's tons of reasons why some games take up more space than others, and it doesn't always have to do with the "size" of the game. Does it have a ton of different textures? Those can take up extra space. Full motion video, audio, etc. And then on top of that, compression is an art onto itself, and From Software is pretty good at it. You can have the same exact game, and either have it fit 10gigs of space, or 20gigs - it all comes down to how far you can compress it without affecting the game in any way.

mattysemo247 03-24-19 06:07 PM

My 99 cent Amazon steelbook showed up today :lol: So I guess that's something, even though I don't have the game yet.

Noonan 03-25-19 08:12 AM

This game is kicking my ass. I definitely need to practice deflections better. Super fun otherwise.

RichC2 03-25-19 08:43 PM

The combat grew on me a bit, the grappling hook adds a lot of interesting strategy, and the ability to fly by entire areas to eradicate long range nusainces before heading out to explore is killer.

Flying by a big bad discretely to get a drop on them is weirdly satisfying too. It's also kinda too easy to just overwhelm your enemy with your sword but I'm having fun with it.

EinCB 03-26-19 03:05 PM

Free theme on the PlayStation store.

https://store.playstation.com/en-us/...KIROTHEME00003

Noonan 03-27-19 07:07 AM

Finally killed the boss on a horse; only to be greeted by the bull with flaming horns. This game has absolutely zero chill.

Noonan 03-28-19 09:25 AM

Made a bit more progress; took out the Drunkard who spits poison last night. Been stuck on him quite a while. Still haven't killed that stupid bull.

mewmartigan 03-29-19 06:56 AM

Coming from Souls and Bloodborne, I find this game a little harder only because in the other two games my main strategy was dodging. Here dodging doesn't work nearly as well, it is all about timing your blocks.

I am having a heck of a time with the first general that has the really long spear at the Estate.

Noonan 03-29-19 07:04 AM

Yeah, the play style is just different enough to be a change for those of us who played their previous games. Dodging alone will get you dead; you really have to stagger bosses to get hits in.

Still a super fun time, even with the frustration.

RichC2 03-29-19 08:31 AM

Originally Posted by mewmartigan (Post 13524773)
Coming from Souls and Bloodborne, I find this game a little harder only because in the other two games my main strategy was dodging. Here dodging doesn't work nearly as well, it is all about timing your blocks.

I am having a heck of a time with the first general that has the really long spear at the Estate.

I hate that general.

That said, exploring that estate for the first time was super cool.

mewmartigan 03-30-19 04:31 PM

Well I got past the spear general pretty easy once I realized that the Mikiri (sp?) counter doesn't have to be timed well. As soon as I saw the red kanji symbol I just mashed the circle button repeatedly.

Noonan 04-01-19 08:06 AM

Lady Butterfly is a pain in the ass. Tried for about a half hour last night. First form is fairly easy, 2nd form not so much even when you use those items to dispell the ghosts she summons.

starseed1981 04-04-19 08:24 AM

So this entire game is basically, parry - parry - parry - jump attack - parry - parry - parry huh?

Noonan 04-04-19 08:27 AM

Originally Posted by starseed1981 (Post 13527722)
So this entire game is basically, parry - parry - parry - jump attack - parry - parry - parry huh?

No; you can't rely on parries in this game like you could in DS/BB. You have to deflect to build up posture meter. That's how you get a deathblow attack, by breaking their posture.

Dan 04-04-19 08:46 AM

I really want to try this game out, but I'm not sure I'm ready to buy it outright. I should check if I can grab it from Redbox or something.

edit: well fuck, it's not available from Redbox (at least not anywhere near me).

RichC2 04-04-19 09:18 AM

Originally Posted by starseed1981 (Post 13527722)

I wish. I'm getting my ass kicked because it's not, I do a lot of stabbing from a distance and spinning attacks.

mattysemo247 04-04-19 10:29 AM

Originally Posted by Dan (Post 13527732)
I really want to try this game out, but I'm not sure I'm ready to buy it outright. I should check if I can grab it from Redbox or something.

edit: well fuck, it's not available from Redbox (at least not anywhere near me).

Does your local library rent video games? That is where I placed a hold at. That way it gives me two weeks to check it out.