Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Atari offers first look at the Ataribox.

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Atari offers first look at the Ataribox.

Old 07-06-20, 06:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 697 Likes on 572 Posts
Re: Atari offers first look at the Ataribox.

Thing is I do think Atari will deliver something. I just donít think itís going to be worth anywhere near that price. Thatís absurd for it to cost that much. No exclusives whatsoever and we barely know what it is.

The people running things like this and the Intellivision Amico are essentially just preying on people who are either nostalgic or too stupid to realize theyíre being sold a box of junk thatís capable of playing simple games that can be had on their phones or tablets.
Old 07-06-20, 07:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 77 Likes on 62 Posts

Will this be bundled with games like the original Mario Bros for Atari? I would get out of a kick being able to play the original on an Atari console, new or not.

For that price though, I'd rather just hunt down an old Atari 7800 or whatever and buy the individual games. That would be more fun and deliver the nostalgia.
Old 07-06-20, 07:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,043 Likes on 810 Posts

Originally Posted by brayzie View Post
Will this be bundled with games like the original Mario Bros for Atari? I would get out of a kick being able to play the original on an Atari console, new or not.

For that price though, I'd rather just hunt down an old Atari 7800 or whatever and buy the individual games. That would be more fun and deliver the nostalgia.
I would say no way. Nintendo would have to license it to them and I don't see Nintendo doing that (this is similar to why there are no N64 official releases of stuff like the WWE or WCW games that everyone loves, the licensing). This is basically a linux box with some emulation bundled in, which is why this is so confusingly branded and priced.
Old 04-22-22, 08:48 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,043 Likes on 810 Posts

This is the same thing, right?
https://www.gamestop.com/consoles-ha...le/202627.html

It's not available (at least in my area) but Gamestop is supposed to be the exclusive retail partner and that's quite a price drop.
Old 04-22-22, 09:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 697 Likes on 572 Posts

Yep, thatís what they churned out. Not surprising that itís not selling. The VCS really has little value overall and no unique games to draw people to it.

I know it has the Atari Vault and there is an indie games section of their shop, but no clue whatís on there. No major publishers are making games for it.
Old 04-22-22, 10:15 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 600 Likes on 484 Posts

They should just sell it as an AMD alternative to the Nvidia Shield in an Atari box.
Old 05-01-22, 09:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 381 Likes on 280 Posts

It has a PC Mode where you can install Windows or a flavor of Linux, but it's a bit pricey at $399 for a mini-PC.
https://atarivcs.com/pc-mode

Old 05-01-22, 11:35 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,242 Likes on 891 Posts

I've read through the website, and I'm not really sure what the fuck this thing is and why I would want one.

Looks like it's a $400 retro-console of the most primitive of the classic 8-bit machines (that only includes non-licensed Atari 2600 games) with a PC mode that nobody will ever use, and some kind of proprietary gaming platform?