Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
Video Game Talk
HD Reviews
 



Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 08-25-17, 10:51 AM   #26
DJariya
DVD Talk Hero
 
DJariya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: La Palma, CA
Posts: 47,573
Re: Madden NFL 18 - August 25.

Madden 18 is out today. Anyone picking it up?

I saw 2 good reviews today on IGN and Gamespot. They also said the new story mode is pretty cool. It's basically a 5 1/2 hour movie.

I'm looking forward to not having to see Jeff Fisher's mug coaching the Rams this season

I have both the PS4 and XBox One S, but I decided to get the XBox One version.

Madden is kind of a toughie whether or not to pick up every year or not. New game mechanics are mostly minimal. You're really only picking it up for new updated rosters. I'm sure most of you guys don't want to blow $45-60 per year only for new rosters, so new game features/mechanics are important.

The 2 reviews I watched on YouTube said the animations and colors are pretty amazing. But, they did say the game mechanics additions/improvements are minimal.
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-17, 11:27 AM   #27
Rob V
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Rob V's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: On the lake
Posts: 9,108
Re: Madden NFL 18 - August 25.

I used to be a Madden day 1 guy... for some reason, the appeal has worn off on me and I don't think I've purchased Madden since 2012 or so. The story mode might be the thing that gets me to pull the trigger but realistically I'll probably wait until it's free on EA Access.
__________________
"i remembered this movie i watched it with my family is's perfect special and adorable" - Mahmoudshawer
XBox Live = Stiffy Goat11
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-17, 12:10 PM   #28
robin2099
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 1,892
Re: Madden NFL 18 - August 25.

I picked it up for the story mode as I thought EA's story mode for Fight Night was pretty enjoyable and wanted to give it a shot. This is the first Madden game I have picked up in five years also.
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-17, 12:40 PM   #29
csant
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 811
Re: Madden NFL 18 - August 25.

I'll wait till Sega is able to make 2k series again.
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-17, 05:31 PM   #30
cruzness
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
cruzness's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Home of the UF Gators and Nat'l Championships, Gainesville, FL
Posts: 7,847
Re: Madden NFL 18 - August 25.

Quote:
Originally Posted by csant View Post
I'll wait till Sega is able to make 2k series again.
A) not gonna happen
B) I always thought the 2K series was overrated, IMHO. I hated the controls.
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-17, 05:42 PM   #31
cruzness
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
cruzness's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Home of the UF Gators and Nat'l Championships, Gainesville, FL
Posts: 7,847
Re: Madden NFL 18 - August 25.

From what I am seeing the mainstream reviewers seem to like it as they enjoy the Longshot mode. The more hardcore fan sites are not caring for it since CFM and MUT don't have many advancements over last year. Looks pretty but plays meh from what I see. I'll pick up a rental to check it out.
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-17, 08:41 PM   #32
DJariya
DVD Talk Hero
 
DJariya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: La Palma, CA
Posts: 47,573
Re: Madden NFL 18 - August 25.

Purchased Madden 18 today from Best Buy.

I also bought that 2 year membership to the GCU for $30. With the 20% off, it knocked down Madden to $47.99 plus tax. I guess it's worth it. When I do get NBA 2K18, it will save me some money.

Anyways, I haven't had the time to play yet. Barely finished installing the roughly 36 gig update that takes almost 45 minutes to download and install (depending on how fast your connection is)

I'll try to make some time for it later in the week.
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-17, 01:00 PM   #33
csant
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 811
Re: Madden NFL 18 - August 25.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruzness View Post
A) not gonna happen
B) I always thought the 2K series was overrated, IMHO. I hated the controls.
Madden has nothing on 2k series controls. The passing was way better, no stupid running back 20 yards and throwing bombs. The running a hell of a lot better. Not like the skating feel of madden. Running feels like your on a ice ring. Catching a lot better too.

Now where it really shine the defensive control was top notch. You can control a middle LB and cover the flats, rb, short ins, outs and not feel like you can't control the toon. DB's that actually stuck to players. Hail Merry, bombs hardly if ever work, unlike 90% chance of madden.

I will continue to hold out for something better. Like I have said before, the smartest thing Madden/EA has ever done was get the NFL license locked down. Because that was the only real way they would've beaten out Sega's 2k series.
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-17, 02:02 PM   #34
Rob V
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Rob V's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: On the lake
Posts: 9,108
Re: Madden NFL 18 - August 25.

^^ I agree with you. Madden is flashy and sexy but 2K was the closest thing to real football since the Front Page Sports days.
__________________
"i remembered this movie i watched it with my family is's perfect special and adorable" - Mahmoudshawer
XBox Live = Stiffy Goat11
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-17, 03:11 PM   #35
House
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Indianapolis
Posts: 561
Re: Madden NFL 18 - August 25.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJariya View Post
Madden 18 is out today. Anyone picking it up?

I saw 2 good reviews today on IGN and Gamespot. They also said the new story mode is pretty cool. It's basically a 5 1/2 hour movie.

I'm looking forward to not having to see Jeff Fisher's mug coaching the Rams this season

I have both the PS4 and XBox One S, but I decided to get the XBox One version.

Madden is kind of a toughie whether or not to pick up every year or not. New game mechanics are mostly minimal. You're really only picking it up for new updated rosters. I'm sure most of you guys don't want to blow $45-60 per year only for new rosters, so new game features/mechanics are important.

The 2 reviews I watched on YouTube said the animations and colors are pretty amazing. But, they did say the game mechanics additions/improvements are minimal.
$45 - $60? Now Madden is all about MUT. I have already spent $64.99 on the GOAT Edition. $75 in gift cards on a bundle during EA Access. Another $10 on upgrading Ladanian Tomlinson.

Last year I probably spent over $500 on MUT.
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-17, 03:16 PM   #36
DJariya
DVD Talk Hero
 
DJariya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: La Palma, CA
Posts: 47,573
Re: Madden NFL 18 - August 25.

Quote:
Originally Posted by House View Post
$45 - $60? Now Madden is all about MUT. I have already spent $64.99 on the GOAT Edition. $75 in gift cards on a bundle during EA Access. Another $10 on upgrading Ladanian Tomlinson.

Last year I probably spent over $500 on MUT.
I was speaking disc only, not the little upgrades. But yeah that's quite a fortune for a yearly football game.
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-17, 03:25 PM   #37
Decker
DVD Talk Hero
 
Decker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Vegas, Baby!
Posts: 36,636
Re: Madden NFL 18 - August 25.

Okay, someone explain to me MUT -- on the most basic level; like is it a card game, are you adding players to a fantasy roster that you play as your team online? I never really understood what it was, let alone why someone would spend a small fortune on it.
__________________
Xbox Live: Decker 01........... My 360's Blog
PSN Gamertag : Decker01

GAME CENTER ID : DECKER 01

I haven't seen Evil Dead 2.....yet.
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-17, 03:39 PM   #38
House
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Indianapolis
Posts: 561
Re: Madden NFL 18 - August 25.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Decker View Post
Okay, someone explain to me MUT -- on the most basic level; like is it a card game, are you adding players to a fantasy roster that you play as your team online? I never really understood what it was, let alone why someone would spend a small fortune on it.
You build your own team and use it to play solos, and online H2H. This season they are starting something new called Weekend League. You have to qualify during the week. Then on the weekend you play games to get big rewards. Coins and packs.

It's very addictive, and you can either spend money for packs. Or just grind solos to get coins.

I just qualified for the weekend league, and can't wait to try it out. This is week 1 for it.

Check out MUThead.com There is a forum over there that thousands of players help each out with tips, and team building.

Edit: There is also a mode within MUT called Draft Champions. For this you go through 20 rounds in a draft to select your team. The last round you get to choose a legend player. You can do this either with solos or online H2H.
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-17, 09:47 AM   #39
mattysemo247
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
mattysemo247's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 9,897
Re: Madden NFL 18 - August 25.

I ended up putting in a request from the library on this one. I haven't played a Madden game since last gen, but the story mode has me intrigued. I can't wait to see how horrible I am at this game
__________________
Xbox Gamertag: Skillz 247 LP Playstation ID: Skillz247LP Wii U: Skillz247LP Wii Code: 3960 3828 1411 7474
My Blu Ray Collection
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-17, 08:48 PM   #40
ManfromCyrodiil
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 52
Re: Madden NFL 18 - August 25.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattysemo247 View Post
I ended up putting in a request from the library on this one. I haven't played a Madden game since last gen, but the story mode has me intrigued. I can't wait to see how horrible I am at this game
I seem to buy his every few year fully knowing I will suck and probably only play a handful of games lol
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-17, 12:27 PM   #41
DJariya
DVD Talk Hero
 
DJariya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: La Palma, CA
Posts: 47,573
Re: Madden NFL 18 - August 25.

Played a full game 2 days ago as the Rams and I unrealistically beat the Patriots 30-13.

One thing I noticed, on the Patriots sideline, there is no Bill Belichick. Just some generic coach with glasses and a hat. I haven't noticed in years past, but has Belichick's likeness not been used in the game?

On my end, I had new coach Sean McVay and his likeness.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-17, 12:36 PM   #42
Noonan
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: MA
Posts: 7,257
Re: Madden NFL 18 - August 25.

Bill isn't part of the NFLPA, which is why he isn't in any Madden game (or other NFL sponsored content).

I haven't owned a Madden in a long while due to always preferring the NCAA games. Picked this up and am really enjoying it. I haven't tried the new "Action" play mode, or whatever it's called. I've missed playing through a franchise.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-17, 12:39 PM   #43
DJariya
DVD Talk Hero
 
DJariya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: La Palma, CA
Posts: 47,573
Re: Madden NFL 18 - August 25.

Oh okay....thanks. Didn't know that most coaches are part of the NFLPA.

I played in Arcade mode and quite enjoyed it. It felt like I was playing a sports arcade game and not some overly complex sports simulation.

Edit: Belichick is not a member of the NFL coaches association. That's why his likeness can't be used and he doesn't appear to care either.

Last edited by DJariya; 09-08-17 at 11:17 PM..
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-17, 11:53 AM   #44
DJariya
DVD Talk Hero
 
DJariya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: La Palma, CA
Posts: 47,573
Re: Madden NFL 18 - August 25.

Played as the Rams against the Chargers the other day.

I came back from a deficit in the 4th quarter to tie the game after converting a 2-point conversion.

However, the Chargers completed a 45 yard bomb and got into FG range and I eventually lost on a GW FG by Koo. Damn, so frustrating.

One aspect of the game I'm having trouble with is field goals. I've probably missed 6 out of my last 10. I can't get the positioning using the thumb stick right with the wind direction.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-17, 12:08 PM   #45
fujishig
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Posts: 22,173
Re: Madden NFL 18 - August 25.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJariya View Post
Played as the Rams against the Chargers the other day.

I came back from a deficit in the 4th quarter to tie the game after converting a 2-point conversion.

However, the Chargers completed a 45 yard bomb and got into FG range and I eventually lost on a GW FG by Koo. Damn, so frustrating.

One aspect of the game I'm having trouble with is field goals. I've probably missed 6 out of my last 10. I can't get the positioning using the thumb stick right with the wind direction.
So unrealistic. The real life Chargers would have closed the gap and then shanked the field goal.
  Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:07 AM.

...
Rules - DVD Talk - Archive - Privacy Statement - Top

Copyright 2011 DVDTalk.com All Rights Reserved. Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0