Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Marvel's Avengers (9/4/2020: XB1, PC, PS4, Stadia)

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Marvel's Avengers (9/4/2020: XB1, PC, PS4, Stadia)

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-20, 04:47 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,202 Likes on 4,229 Posts
Re: Marvel's Avengers (9/4/2020: XB1, PC, PS4, Stadia)

I still have GCU. for $38 (after GCU and $10 RZ certificate), including a free Steelbook, I will probably keep my vanilla edition. But when I preordered the Ultimate Edition, I had thought it came with a season pass. Asking an additional $20 for 6 costumes and 3 day early access is INSANE.
Old 09-01-20, 05:22 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,883 Likes on 1,239 Posts

The common threads in the reviews I’ve seen today are that (1) reviewers like it and (2) they’re surprised that they like it .

Ballpark is 10 hours if you mainline the campaign; more like 30 if you do everything.
Old 09-03-20, 12:08 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 445 Likes on 312 Posts

Jim did not like it one bit...

Old 09-03-20, 07:49 AM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 914 Likes on 774 Posts

wow. that doesn't sound good. is he reliable?
Old 09-03-20, 09:08 AM

He's well known and STRONGLY opinionated. What is "reliable" to you? He's liked games I've liked, found shitty games to be terrible, I have disagreed with him in the past. He's one reviewer with a popular YouTube channel.
Old 09-03-20, 09:18 AM

I do think that one of the many ways that this game is like Destiny is that it is likely to get better over time with new features getting added and adjustments being made. If you didn't Preorder the game from Best Buy for the $10 RZ certificate and the Steelbook, then I would wait. This game seems like prime material for a Black Friday sale.
And I think it is likely to be a better game by then (and you'll know by then if it ended up being another Anthem or Evolve type bomb that is essentially DOA - though I doubt it will be ).
Old 09-03-20, 10:58 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by OldBoy
I think he's more reliable than most, as in giving his honest opinion, since (besides being well-informed), he doesn't care if his review ruffles feathers with publishers if he gives their games negative reviews, unlike, say, IGN, where a publisher might bar them from events if they're critical of an important game (which has happened, btw).
Old 09-03-20, 11:16 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

There's a pretty diverse array of opinions out there about the game right now. I wouldn't make a decision based on a single impression.
Old 09-03-20, 11:37 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,941 Likes on 1,502 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker
I do think that one of the many ways that this game is like Destiny is that it is likely to get better over time with new features getting added and adjustments being made. If you didn't Preorder the game from Best Buy for the $10 RZ certificate and the Steelbook, then I would wait. This game seems like prime material for a Black Friday sale.
And I think it is likely to be a better game by then (and you'll know by then if it ended up being another Anthem or Evolve type bomb that is essentially DOA - though I doubt it will be ).
That's basically what this game is, isn't it, Destiny with Marvel superheroes and microtransactions (for skins and emotes) ramped up to the Nth degree. I'm not a huge fan of having to continually grind to keep up with the joneses, and even as a big Marvel fan I think I'll vote with my wallet (at least at launch) on this one because I definitely don't need every game to be like Destiny.

A $10 Battle Pass for each character? Please.
The following users liked this post:
OldBoy (09-03-20)
Old 09-03-20, 02:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 557 Likes on 408 Posts

Originally Posted by slop101
I think he's more reliable than most, as in giving his honest opinion, since (besides being well-informed), he doesn't care if his review ruffles feathers with publishers if he gives their games negative reviews, unlike, say, IGN, where a publisher might bar them from events if they're critical of an important game (which has happened, btw).
Uh no. YouTube reviewers are far less likely to be giving an honest opinion since there is zero accountability. They also nowadays get early access to events and games just like major publications. YouTubers are getting more access now because the publishers know that they don't want to lose out on the free early stuff so they're more likely to be paid to give positive impressions of a product.
Old 09-03-20, 02:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,941 Likes on 1,502 Posts

Originally Posted by The Questyen
Uh no. YouTube reviewers are far less likely to be giving an honest opinion since there is zero accountability. They also nowadays get early access to events and games just like major publications. YouTubers are getting more access now because the publishers know that they don't want to lose out on the free early stuff so they're more likely to be paid to give positive impressions of a product.
Which Jim's review is not.

Bottom line, having watched his videos before and knowing his stance on microtransactions I could tell what his general opinion was going to be about the game the same way I know what his opinion would be about, say, NBA 2k21 even though it's not out yet. But he does really dive into the whole generic look of the game.

Does anyone know (since I haven't been following closely): are they going to actually add like, Marvel villains for events as end bosses or is it all just going to be robots with more and more hit points? Maybe I just didn't get to that part of the video.
Old 09-03-20, 03:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by The Questyen
You're not wrong about most youtubers, but Jim's different. He used to be the main reviewer for Destructoid, but left due to industry bullshit and not being able to be honest. And he's gone above and beyond trying to not cater to industry bullshit by being supported through patreon rather than youtube ads. As result, he gets locked out of a lot of industry access and review copies, and has to buy most of the games he reviews himself, but he gets to keep his integrity.
Old 09-03-20, 03:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts

I love Jim, and I tend to agree with many of his opinion's on games and the gaming industry in general. However, he does have a huge ax to grind against AAA games, and especially those like this that want to nickle and dime you to death.

So he is predisposed to not like this, but when he has fun with a game he will admit it, even if he hates the company putting it out. He is definitely NOT an industry shill.
Old 09-03-20, 03:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 746 Likes on 370 Posts

Originally Posted by fujishig
Does anyone know (since I haven't been following closely): are they going to actually add like, Marvel villains for events as end bosses or is it all just going to be robots with more and more hit points? Maybe I just didn't get to that part of the video.
Yes. There's a Taskmaster fight near the end of the video.
Old 09-06-20, 06:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 403 Likes on 303 Posts

I think IGN said if they had to score it now they’d give it a 6.

Ouch.
Old 09-13-20, 03:08 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

I finished the campaign this morning. What an odd one!
  • The way the campaign leaps between "single player only" and "okay, now you can invite your friends!" seems pretty obnoxious if you want to play as a group from the beginning. Way too stop-and-go
  • Has there ever been a superhero game with this few supervillains? If you played through the beta, you have literally one additional villain -- at the very, very end -- to look forward to. All the other bosses are robots, mechs, robo-tanks, a flying robo-ship... (I haven't finished a lot of the side missions, so maybe there are more there, but I'm doubtful.)
  • I'm probably in the minority here, but I feel like the game does a lousy job indicating how much health you have unless you're actively looking at the bar, especially for a glass cannon like Iron Man who can go from near-full health to nothin' in seemingly a second flat. But it's annoying for sturdier characters like Ms. Marvel too, when I could've sought out health or use my healing ability but didn't know I needed to. Doesn't happen often, though, at least on Normal difficulty
  • I really didn't enjoy playing as Iron Man, and the most annoying section of the game was when I was forced to play as him for a lengthy consecutive stretch
  • Yet at the same time, most of the characters are fun, and they all feel really different from one another. Black Widow and Ms. Marvel are by far my favorites. Thor is close behind. Captain America is fine but not super-remarkable. I liked Hulk at first but wasn't inspired to go back to him after unlocking more characters; supposedly his skill tree is really transformative and makes him feel like the giant jade wrecking ball he oughta be. I don't like the way Iron Man feels or controls at all
  • I'm not sure how much more I'm going to play. Maybe I'll do the more campaign-y additional content (faction quests, finishing up each character's quest line, etc.), but that'll probably be it. I'm the type of person who's typically compelled to complete skill trees, unlock everything I possibly can, check off every mission checkbox, etc., but I don't see myself doing anything like that here. Probably won't complete anyone's challenge cards, let alone pay extra for the DLC battle passes.
It's kind of a Frankenstein's monster. I would've preferred they either come up with a more focused single player experience (maybe even just playing as Kamala) or go all-in on multiplayer, but the end result doesn't really succeed on either front. I don't regret getting it, and there's a lot it does right, but Marvel's Destiny it's not.
Old 09-19-20, 05:05 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

The huge new patch that went up last night includes a bonus 22 challenge points for each character. I think they expire on the 25th, so if you select each character and look at your Challenge Card, you'll almost certainly unlock some nameplates, resources, skins, etc.
Old 09-19-20, 07:43 PM

Well, looks like you’re the only one playing it, so have at it.
Old 09-19-20, 10:54 PM

Originally Posted by Adam Tyner
The huge new patch that went up last night includes a bonus 22 challenge points for each character. I think they expire on the 25th, so if you select each character and look at your Challenge Card, you'll almost certainly unlock some nameplates, resources, skins, etc.
Well, looks like you’re the only one playing it, so have at it.
Is there any fundamental difference between this exchange and this one :

So if I do get the digital on Thursday and download it and all, take my disc out, I’ll still have my save game as if nothing happened, right?
Originally Posted by Dan
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
you'll be the first to know, so you can let us know how that goes.
Why do you always have to retort with a smart ass remark towards me? Sure, I may ask some dumb questions from time to time, but this is perfectly legit and just want a straight answer. Sorry to irk you Dan. So terribly sorry I asked such an inane question, yet again.
​​​​​​​
The Questyen (09-20-20)
Old 09-19-20, 11:15 PM

Is there any fundamental difference between this exchange and this one :
​​​​​​​
wow. i was totally joking and now you are completely being dickish. why? no idea, but whatever. have at it...
Old 09-19-20, 11:31 PM

I have no doubt that you meant no offense were just harmlessly joking around. But so was Dan.
My point is only that you can't dish out the nearly exact same reply as you got, if you're going to be horribly offended when it's directed at you.

I get really upset back when people went out of their way to make fun or mock you. It pissed me off to no end. But we can't be walking on eggshells for fear of offending you either, especially if you are giving it back.

Will you grant me that those two replies are very similar?
The Questyen (09-20-20)
Old 09-19-20, 11:37 PM

Decker, I honestly don’t give a shit. I made 1 absolutely jokey comment in a thread where I used to be interested in, whereas Dan has made many more towards me (not just the Control thread) and thus my response. So I don’t know what fusilli Jerry you sat on tonight, but you should have the assman take a look at that in the morning. Or since you’re an MD, perhaps you can extract yourself. Either way this is totally stupid and I’m done.
Old 09-20-20, 08:25 AM

I have no doubt that you meant no offense were just harmlessly joking around. But so was Dan.
My point is only that you can't dish out the nearly exact same reply as you got, if you're going to be horribly offended when it's directed at you.

I get really upset back when people went out of their way to make fun or mock you. It pissed me off to no end. But we can't be walking on eggshells for fear of offending you either, especially if you are giving it back.

Will you grant me that those two replies are very similar?
i also find it funny that you chose to leave out the post where i sincerely apologized to him about those comments...
If that’s the case, then I am truly sorry.
Old 10-14-20, 02:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 870 Likes on 392 Posts

If you have Verizon Wireless, in the My Verizon app there is a free reward this month in Verizon UP to get limited special outfits. Look under Bonus rewards, then More.
Need a Square Enix account and log into the game with same credentials.

And don't know if this was mentioned. 5 Gum has a code in Avengers marked packs. Need all 8 codes to get everything. And you get them in order, they're not random.
playavengers.com/5gum
Adam Tyner (10-14-20)
Old 11-08-20, 08:55 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,366 Likes on 928 Posts

Analyst is reporting Square Enix is taking about a $63 million loss so far: https://www.darkhorizons.com/marvels...osts-63m-loss/

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.