Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Nintendo Switch: Building a New Generation of Hardware from Scratch

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-17, 09:33 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 2,052 Likes on 1,353 Posts
Re: Nintendo Switch: Building a New Generation of Hardware from Scratch

• Still $299.99.
  • No Virtual Console yet. There’s supposed to be a game a month (with online multiplayer added in some cases) down the road.
  • Just need an HDMI port and someplace to plug-in an AC adapter.
  • Does have WiFi.
  • Nintendo’s online service will have a small charge ($20 a year) but is free for now.
Old 10-21-17, 10:17 PM
TOTY Winner 2018 and Inane Thread Master

Received 1,043 Likes on 873 Posts

Thanks Adam.
Old 10-23-17, 11:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,227 Likes on 955 Posts

November is going to be ridiculous for Switch releases. Among the big titles:

Doom
LA Noire
Resident Evil Revelations Collection
Skyrim
Sonic Forces (although it’s questionable how good it’ll be)
Old 10-24-17, 12:13 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 638 Likes on 468 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike86
November is going to be ridiculous for Switch releases. Among the big titles:

Doom
LA Noire
Resident Evil Revelations Collection
Skyrim
Sonic Forces (although it’s questionable how good it’ll be)
If that's your idea of ridiculous I weep for the Switch's future.
Old 10-24-17, 12:31 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by The Questyen
There are people who have not played those games (...like me). Portability is a deal for me, as I'm hardloy home long enough to really enjoy a game. Considering Nintendo's last console had NO third party support, ports of these older titles are pretty big deal for Nintendo.
Old 10-24-17, 12:42 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 638 Likes on 468 Posts

Originally Posted by zero
There are people who have not played those games (...like me). Portability is a deal for me, as I'm hardloy home long enough to really enjoy a game. Considering Nintendo's last console had NO third party support, ports of these older titles are pretty big deal for Nintendo.
Cool.
Old 10-24-17, 05:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by The Questyen
That’s a good selection of games coming in one month. Yes a lot are ports but regardless those are big name titles from major studios. I don’t see any reason to weep for the Switch’s future based on those as the comsil already seems to be getting far more support than previous Nintendo outings.
Old 10-24-17, 05:32 AM
Political Exile

Received 505 Likes on 332 Posts

I'm looking to buy a Switch to play Odyssey, but yeah, unless those titles are under $20, that list of games is underwhelming.
Old 10-24-17, 05:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by PerryD
I'm looking to buy a Switch to play Odyssey, but yeah, unless those titles are under $20, that list of games is underwhelming.
They aren’t under $20 but realistically they wouldn’t be. Doom is a year old and includes the DLC plus new modes for Switch. Sonic Forces is $40 and it’s a brand new game. The Resident Evil Revelations Collection is $40 for two games plus new content. LA Noire is remastered plus a Rockstar game on a Nintendo console is a big deal. Skyrim is also a pretty big get for the console in my opinion despite being older. More than anything games like that are showing the console is being well supported. I happen to think it’s a good list and those are just some highlights.
Old 10-24-17, 08:02 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 199 Likes on 135 Posts

Yeah, I don't get the "but it's a port of a game already out on ____". So, when PUBG finally gets released on PS4, I suppose it's not worth buying since it's been out on the XB1?

I've got Doom and Skyrim on the PS4/PS3, but I may end up buying both again simply because I can fire up the Switch ANYWHERE and play (and I do bring it to work, and of course when I travel).
Old 10-24-17, 08:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by SmackDaddy
So, when PUBG finally gets released on PS4, I suppose it's not worth buying since it's been out on the XB1?
If PUBG skips PS4 and doesn't get released until PS5, then yes, that's a fair comparison. LA Noire, Resident Evil Revelations, and Skyrim were LAST generation games. I'll give you DOOM, even though it's over a year old at this point. I think it's a fair criticism that the Switch is missing out on all of the new releases (Shadow of War, Battlefront, AC Orgins, Call of Duty, etc) and still charging $40 - $60 for what is essentially a greatest hits / remastered collections.

I am looking forward to playing Super Mario Odyssey, but the Switch won't be getting nearly the amount of game time my PS4 will be getting this season.
Old 10-24-17, 09:21 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,088 Likes on 863 Posts

The pricing should be no higher than $29.99, other than that I have no issue with portable re-issues. But then again outside of Mario Odyssey and Wolfenstein 2, I'm not really looking forward to much this fall.

(That said, Syberia should not be $29.99.)
Old 10-24-17, 09:28 AM
Political Exile

I'm willing to pay full price for Odyssey and upcoming Kirby, Yoshi, etc first party games. I don't really want to pay full price for a port of a 6 year old game, but I imagine that if the reviews are good, I may consider picking it up at a budget price.

Is Walmart restocking the Splatoon 2 Switch console bundle? or the Splatoon Pro Controller? Or has that ship sailed?

I know that Sony & Microsoft always have an aggressively priced console bundle on Black Friday, but I have less of a good feeling that Nintendo will have any discounts for this holiday.
Old 10-24-17, 09:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

As far as pricing goes how much of a say does Nintendo have? I realize that they get a portion of sales but doesn’t the game publisher/developer set the price? The way I look at it is this, the Wii U had virtually no third party support which killed it. The Switch is getting support but costs more to develop for so games like I mentioned are basically companies like Bethesda and Rockstar testing the waters with to see if the Switch is going to be something they want to continue developing for going forward but since it’s more to develop for they’re charging more for some of these titles.
Old 10-24-17, 10:32 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,187 Likes on 1,683 Posts

I doubt they're charging more because it costs more to develop, they're charging more because they can. It's a new system and the marketplace isn't as crowded. I know the rumor is that the cartridges are more expensive but I don't see why that would hold this console back as opposed to the 3ds, which had cheaper games (except for some Nintendo titles and the Atlus tax).

I mean it started at launch. I wasn't going to buy Street Fighter II for 40 bucks.
Old 10-24-17, 10:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Is Walmart restocking the Splatoon 2 Switch console bundle? or the Splatoon Pro Controller? Or has that ship sailed?
The bundles should be everywhere, in store and on line. The controller might be a little more difficult to find, I only saw it once and picked it up at that time. It was in stock at Toysrus.com so you might want to check there.
Old 10-24-17, 10:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

As far as pricing goes how much of a say does Nintendo have? I realize that they get a portion of sales but doesn’t the game publisher/developer set the price?
I thought someone already said it was Nintendo that was setting up those prices, which is why LA Noire costs $10 more on their system. It's called "The Nintendo Tax." I'm sure it probably costs more to produce a cartridge than a disc, but I don't see why that design decision cost should be passed on to the consumer.
Old 10-24-17, 11:16 AM
Political Exile

Originally Posted by mattysemo247
The bundles should be everywhere, in store and on line. The controller might be a little more difficult to find, I only saw it once and picked it up at that time. It was in stock at Toysrus.com so you might want to check there.
Okay, I put a in-stock alert on Walmart.com, but I can stop by and see what they have at a couple local Walmarts. That's good about the controller at least. Otherwise, I see they have a Xenoblade Pro Controller coming out soon that looks sharp also.
Old 10-24-17, 11:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by mattysemo247
I thought someone already said it was Nintendo that was setting up those prices, which is why LA Noire costs $10 more on their system. It's called "The Nintendo Tax." I'm sure it probably costs more to produce a cartridge than a disc, but I don't see why that design decision cost should be passed on to the consumer.
Then why are most other new games $60 which is basically standard? Sorry but I don’t buy that there’s a “Nintendo Tax”.
Old 10-24-17, 01:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Okay, I put a in-stock alert on Walmart.com, but I can stop by and see what they have at a couple local Walmarts. That's good about the controller at least. Otherwise, I see they have a Xenoblade Pro Controller coming out soon that looks sharp also.
The controller is completely worth it. Looks really cool with the Walmart console if you end up getting it. Also looks cool with the Neon console. Looks like TRU currently has it in stock again

https://www.toysrus.com/product?productId=133530966

You can also use Brickseek to find the console. It's currently showing 90% availability in the US.

http://brickseek.com/walmart-inventory-checker/

Just use SKU 394092847
Old 10-24-17, 02:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They aren’t under $20 but realistically they wouldn’t be. Doom is a year old and includes the DLC plus new modes for Switch. Sonic Forces is $40 and it’s a brand new game. The Resident Evil Revelations Collection is $40 for two games plus new content. LA Noire is remastered plus a Rockstar game on a Nintendo console is a big deal. Skyrim is also a pretty big get for the console in my opinion despite being older. More than anything games like that are showing the console is being well supported. I happen to think it’s a good list and those are just some highlights.
I might pick up Doom, but I already 100%-ed LA Noire and Skyrim years ago on my Xbox 360.
Old 10-24-17, 04:10 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 958 Likes on 676 Posts

The WiiU didn't exactly fly off shelves living off 360 ports the first year. Skyrim and LA Noir are 6 years old. Is the appeal the mobility? I guess if someone has never owned another console ever would be all over these?
Old 10-24-17, 04:16 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts

I think mobility is definitely nice in some of these games. I may pick up Doom down the road as I have never played it before.

I think the biggest takeway from these releases is that the Switch is actually getting good 3rd party support...something the Wii U never really had.
Old 10-24-17, 04:46 PM
Political Exile

Wii U had some decent ports the first year like I think Rayman Legends and Assassin's Creed Black Flag. There might have been a Call of Duty in there too, but all of those were relatively current games. If it was Assassin's Creed II or something, then it would be like these Switch releases.

The problem with Nintendo since the N64 onward is that they are one or two generations behind the computing/graphics power of the competing systems. I think the Gamecube was the closest to its competition, but the Wii, Wii U, and now Switch will struggle getting quality ports of anything recent.

I don't mean to sound negative, I just don't want anyone to get any hopes up that the Switch will get the latest games developed by top third party developers. But I think people have the right approach as thinking of these ports are portable versions, along the lines of a Vita port rather than a console port.
Old 10-24-17, 04:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
The WiiU didn't exactly fly off shelves living off 360 ports the first year. Skyrim and LA Noir are 6 years old. Is the appeal the mobility? I guess if someone has never owned another console ever would be all over these?
Skyrim is still fairly popular for being an older game so I’d say it’s still a noteworthy release. As far as LA Noire it’s the first time Rockstar has released a game on a Nintendo platform since 2009. The last releases they did were Bully on Wii in 2008 and Grand Theft Auto: Chinatown Wars on DS in 2009. I’d say they’re one of the bigger names as far as video game publishers and their games could bring some more people to the Switch, especially if this port does well and they release future games on the platform.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.