Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

NES Classic Edition (30 games; 60 bucks; 11/11/2016)

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games
View Poll Results: Will you be buying this?
Yep!
67.92%
Nope!
32.08%
Voters: 106. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-11-19, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Forum Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Jay G.
Print Wikipost

NES Classic Edition (30 games; 60 bucks; 11/11/2016)

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-17, 08:12 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
Re: NES Classic Edition (30 games; 60 bucks; 11/11/2016)

Originally Posted by DthRdrX
Seriously? I have never seen any incompetence with anything N does , but they have a long standing history of high demand, and artificially extremely low supply.
FYP.

I thank Nintendo for one thing about this. It convinced me to buy a Raspberry Pi instead.
Old 02-07-17, 12:38 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

Seriously? I have never seen any incompetence with anything N does , but they have a long standing history of high demand, extremely low supply.
Yeah, that was the WiiU's problem.
Old 02-07-17, 01:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

and soon to be the Switch's problem as well
Old 02-07-17, 02:44 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,882 Likes on 1,238 Posts

Originally Posted by mattysemo247
and soon to be the Switch's problem as well
Nintendo has fairly ambitious sale estimates at launch, and they can't sell what they haven't manufactured, so I don't think that'll be any more of an issue than it was for the Xbox One or PS4.
Old 02-07-17, 03:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The PS4 was sold out for months at launch. The Xbox One on the other hand had "Day One Editions" available for months afterwards. Corvin was just pointing out that the Wii U, like the XB1, didn't have supply problems at launch since they were readily available, but unfortunately the demand wasn't there. I would bet that anyone that wants a Switch during the launch window won't have a problem finding one.

It does kinda make you wonder though if they will get cold feet due to the Wii U sales performance and scale back on production until closer to Christmas.
Old 02-07-17, 04:11 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have never seen any incompetence with anything N does
I don't know what you call all of the lost NES Classic sales between November and now... and into the future until we actually see real, sustained stock... but an example of incompetence. This applies whether or not you believe they intentionally contrive "shortages".

Hell, even as consoles continue to trickle in to retail, they haven't figured out they should be supplying CONTROLLERS to go alongside the consoles in the wild. We've seen plenty of sporadic restock but nobody can get a legitimate firstparty 2P controller when they've finally gotten their machine. Lost sales upon lost sales.
Old 02-07-17, 05:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Yeah, that was the WiiU's problem.
We're talking about products people actually want here.
Old 02-07-17, 05:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by wtsang
I don't know what you call all of the lost NES Classic sales between November and now... and into the future until we actually see real, sustained stock... but an example of incompetence. This applies whether or not you believe they intentionally contrive "shortages".

Hell, even as consoles continue to trickle in to retail, they haven't figured out they should be supplying CONTROLLERS to go alongside the consoles in the wild. We've seen plenty of sporadic restock but nobody can get a legitimate firstparty 2P controller when they've finally gotten their machine. Lost sales upon lost sales.
They don't care about "lost sales". This is their M.O. Nintendo is in the headlines because of their little gadget being hard to find and that makes them more money across their entire product range.

Furthermore, from a cheap sales tactic prospective, it would not surprise me if Nintendo comes out and "answers" this situation by having more than enough of the SWITCH available. People will be running to the store to get one just in case.
Old 02-07-17, 05:33 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

They don't care about "lost sales". This is their M.O. Nintendo is in the headlines because of their little gadget being hard to find and that makes them more money across their entire product range.
So not selling items to hungry consumers = profit? Since when?

What was Mario Run's sell through? Not even 10% according to the interview Decker posted in the Switch thread. So did Mario Run's lack of sales help the NES Classic or did the NES Classic's lack of sales help Mario Run? Or is it closer to this:

Dismal WiiU sales
+ poor Mario Run sales
+ lost NES Classic sales
====
Profit?

Alternative facts?
Old 02-07-17, 06:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This is circular logic. This is like saying you saved money because Target had a sale on jeans you weren't going to buy.

Making a profit is not the same thing as maximizing profit. Nintendo has always been in the business of making money on each unit sold. Just because they don't sell to everyone that wants one doesn't mean they lost money or didn't make a profit.

Also, 10% of SMR trials turning into purchases is still MASSIVE for a game of its nature. A fuckton of people tried that game which means an assload bought it.
Old 02-07-17, 06:35 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

So did Mario Run's lack of sales help the NES Classic or did the NES Classic's lack of sales help Mario Run?
Why would it have to be either?

FWIW, Nintendo announced that Super Mario Run has brought in more than $50 million in a month and a half, and that's just on iOS.

Games consultant Serkan Toto tells the Wall Street Journal that this is "amazing" for a game with one $10 in-app purchase. Most rivals can't hit 5 percent even with $1 or $2 purchases.
Despite the shortages, as severe and indefensible as they've been, the NES Classic Mini sold through 1.5 million units in November and December.

But, y'know, NINTENDOOOOOMED!
Old 02-07-17, 07:55 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They don't care about "lost sales". This is their M.O.
And that is incompetence. They could have sold MILLIONS more NES Classics by getting them into the channel before Dec. 25, 2016. At best, if you believe they "manage" these situations by "creating scarcity".. they failed to manage their own "managed situation". Jesus Christ.
Old 02-07-17, 08:49 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Adam Tyner
Why would it have to be either?
I'm just trying to follow the logic presented. Creating demand(false or otherwise) for a product they can't sell increases the bottom line elsewhere. Hence the comparison to Mario Run...the only other relevant Nintendo product prior to Christmas.

Originally Posted by pinata242
Also, 10% of SMR trials turning into purchases is still MASSIVE for a game of its nature. A fuckton of people tried that game which means an assload bought it.
On the flipside of that coin, does that mean 90%+ of people walked away with a negative opinion of Nintendo or Mario as a whole? Or at least shrugged off a $10 price tag... i.e. going back to the not being incompetent/are perfect claim.
Old 02-07-17, 09:38 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

On the flipside of that coin, does that mean 90%+ of people walked away with a negative opinion of Nintendo or Mario as a whole? Or at least shrugged off a $10 price tag...
It means that Nintendo's mobile game is a mobile game.

I posted a little further up about how an industry analyst was impressed by that conversion rate (even if Nintendo was hoping for more), especially at that significantly higher than average price tag and not-really-conventional monetization model. The mobile tactic is to get massive numbers of people to download your game, knowing that only a tiny, tiny, tiny percentage of them will ever spend a dime. A tiny, tiny, tiny percentage multiplied by an extremely large number can pay off huge.

It's an automatic runner with only one, pricey in-app purchase, so it never had a shot at being the next Clash of Clans or whatever.

i.e. going back to the not being incompetent/are perfect claim.
There's a tremendous amount of ground between "incompetent" and "perfect". I'm sure it's a controversial statement, but I would dare say that Nintendo is somewhere in between those two extremes.

You'll certainly get no argument from me about how badly botched the NES Classic Mini has been, though.
Old 02-07-17, 10:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

On the flipside of that coin, does that mean 90%+ of people walked away with a negative opinion of Nintendo or Mario as a whole? Or at least shrugged off a $10 price tag... i.e. going back to the not being incompetent/are perfect claim.
I dunno. I don't think very many people pay for apps. I rarely do but that doesn't mean I have a negative opinion of a demo.
Old 02-08-17, 09:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

So not selling items to hungry consumers = profit? Since when?

What was Mario Run's sell through? Not even 10% according to the interview Decker posted in the Switch thread. So did Mario Run's lack of sales help the NES Classic or did the NES Classic's lack of sales help Mario Run? Or is it closer to this:

Dismal WiiU sales
+ poor Mario Run sales
+ lost NES Classic sales
====
Profit?

Alternative facts?
You obviously have no idea how brand awareness works. Mcdonalds and Coke don't make any money off the ads they pay tens/hundreds of millions for every year. They count on brand awareness when someone goes to make a soda purchase.

Nintendo has a hot product. You can't find it anywhere, but everyone is talking about Nintendo because of it. As a result, they sell more products across the board, many of which have better profit margins.
Old 02-08-17, 10:18 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 445 Likes on 312 Posts

You obviously have no idea how brand awareness works. Mcdonalds and Coke don't make any money off the ads they pay tens/hundreds of millions for every year. They count on brand awareness when someone goes to make a soda purchase.

Nintendo has a hot product. You can't find it anywhere, but everyone is talking about Nintendo because of it. As a result, they sell more products across the board, many of which have better profit margins.
But that's the job of the advertisers/marketing, not manufacturing.
Old 02-08-17, 10:29 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Incompetence is kind of harsh, but I think it's fairly apt with the NES Classic.

Mario Run is kind of a weird situation, especially since the masses have adapted to the microtransaction model and are used to the bulk of games being free. Which is funny, given how vocal I recall gamers being about preferring to pay once for a title rather then nickle and diming for play time or boosts.
Old 02-08-17, 11:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

What other hot Nintendo products are people flocking to when they can't find the NES classic? I would say that theory might work in some cases for other companies, but I'm not seeing that Nintendo is one of them.
Old 02-08-17, 12:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts

I'd buy that, if there was other stock out. It was almost impossible to find 3DS (I saw maybe two 2DS in the wild) and Nintendo seemed to pull the Wii U before the holidays. It probably helped raise awareness of the Switch, but they weren't available to preorder before the holidays, were they?
Old 02-08-17, 01:22 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Originally Posted by majorjoe23
It probably helped raise awareness of the Switch, but they weren't available to preorder before the holidays, were they?
You remember correctly. Preorders for the Switch didn't start going up until wee hours of the morning on 1/13. For all intents and purposes, there were no NES Classic Mini preorders (just Target and Toys R Us, IIRC, and I don't think it was even for that long).
Old 02-08-17, 01:45 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Nope, I get it, I'm just not buying that excuse in regards to the NES Classic. Coke is a horrible analogy. They have billions of machines, restaurant availabilty and grocery stock for people to buy the second they want one. Can't find a NES Classic at the busiest time of the year? What Nintendo brand product were people going to buy to take advantage of buzz and so called "brand awareness" being created by this shortage? Mario Run? Amiibos? We know it's not Amiibos because they cant figure out that distribution channel and demand either.
Old 02-08-17, 02:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,940 Likes on 1,501 Posts

I said it before, but I think it helped their image somewhat in the eyes of the public to have a hot, in demand system right before the Switch press conference. A reminder that hey, you better preorder this if you want this, to make people forget what a failure the WiiU was and wait on the system.

Amiibos is another thing that I think worked, whether intentional or not. Here you have these little, expensive figurines that do very little for any video game, and they become a hot property precisely because of the scarcity and craze behind them. For sure if those weren't rare to start out with, they wouldn't have sold like they did, and at least at my local Target they still have more shelf space than the new Skylanders game.
Old 02-08-17, 03:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 382 Likes on 307 Posts

Brand awareness is great and all but I'm not buying Nintendo or Honda or any other product I'm aware of just because we're bitching about short stocked Mini NES's. Nintendo dropped the ball big time (they always do) and instead of getting a Mini, I got a Pi and couldn't be happier.
Old 02-08-17, 05:30 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by fujishig
I said it before, but I think it helped their image somewhat in the eyes of the public to have a hot, in demand system right before the Switch press conference. A reminder that hey, you better preorder this if you want this, to make people forget what a failure the WiiU was and wait on the system.
I can sorta go with that but how much of that is the general public really going to affect? Core gamers, that care about a Nintendo conference, are going to eat up the launch supplies anyway.

Originally Posted by Rob V
Brand awareness is great and all but I'm not buying Nintendo or Honda or any other product I'm aware of just because we're bitching about short stocked Mini NES's. Nintendo dropped the ball big time (they always do) and instead of getting a Mini, I got a Pi and couldn't be happier.
Similarly, I'm probably going to take the cash I had set aside for the Switch and get my first iPad.

So much for that brand awareness and scarcity working out for them.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.