Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Pokemon GO (IOS/Android)

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-16, 07:52 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Pokemon GO (IOS/Android)

Originally Posted by Abob Teff
Thought I had a great strategy to hold onto a gym for a long time ... The local water park was open for the last day of the season today. Turns out they had a gym on the grounds and it isn't accessible offsite. I watched it all day and it sat with my faction/team with an open spot. As we got ready to leave I dropped a Pokemon in there. They were open for a few more hours and I watched and waited, thinking I would have a gym spot until April! Another group swooped in and took the gym with 30 minutes to go ... Damnit!
Don't worry the spoofers or employees will take it over.
Old 09-12-16, 05:46 AM

The latest update bans rooted and jailbroken phones from playing Pokemon Go. Once they force the update, there is going to be some major backlash. There appears to be work arounds but it's getting to be too much work to play this crap now.

I had to root my phone so I could install a newer version of android just to play this game. I should have just left it stock and skipped this crap.
Old 09-15-16, 05:46 PM

Received 56 Likes on 47 Posts

If you have an older or lower level phone I'd stay away from the latest update. The game is now basically unplayable on my, admittedly crappy, LG Tribute. I can start the game, do 1 thing (pokestop, catch a mon, etc) and the game hangs or crashes.
Old 09-17-16, 06:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,245 Likes on 856 Posts

My playing has almost completely ceased. Most of the gyms around here used to trade hands regularly, but teams have swooped in and built them up to unbeatable levels. Hadn't found any new Pokemon in some time. Add to that the fact that it seems as if it isn't tracking most of my distance for hatching eggs ... Losing interest quickly.
Old 09-18-16, 09:53 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 40 Likes on 25 Posts

I'd say the tracking the eggs thing does suck. My brother told me it takes every 2 minutes so if you go to say, from your house to take out the trash and get something from your car and then back to the same spot in 2 minutes, it tracks nothing. It is nice to walk around with a pokemon to get candy, though. Yesterday was the first time in a bit I spent a few hours nonstop playing as I went to Disneyland with my brother (he works there so I get in for free) as he wanted to catch some and see what was there. It would be nice if the things that hatch eggs can be found a bit easier at PokeStops or cost a bit less than 150 coins.
Old 09-19-16, 11:22 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 72 Likes on 53 Posts

my buddy got the pokemon go watch thing. he says he hatches eggs too quickly now and runs out of them. the major plus of the watch thing is that you dont need to have your phone on all the time
Old 09-19-16, 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by DaveNinja
my buddy got the pokemon go watch thing. he says he hatches eggs too quickly now and runs out of them. the major plus of the watch thing is that you dont need to have your phone on all the time
hmmm I see they came up with a better plan then selling egg hatchers. Buy this $35 accessory and you can hatch eggs at 5x speed!
Old 09-19-16, 01:46 PM

I've read that opening the journal locks in the distance walked for hatching eggs. Might be worth a try if you think your distance is being under reported.
Old 09-19-16, 06:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,245 Likes on 856 Posts

jacob_b's theory is an interesting one. Since my mobility is limited right now, much of my movement is a loop.

jacob -- what do you mean walking around to get candy? I thought you only get candy when you catch Pokémon. That's one change I would like to see -- make higher CP Pokémon worth more candy/XP.

DeFan -- journal?
Old 09-20-16, 06:12 AM

jacob_b's theory is an interesting one. Since my mobility is limited right now, much of my movement is a loop.

jacob -- what do you mean walking around to get candy? I thought you only get candy when you catch Pokémon. That's one change I would like to see -- make higher CP Pokémon worth more candy/XP.

DeFan -- journal?
You can make a pokemon walk with you now.
Old 09-20-16, 10:15 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

DeFan -- journal?
As mentioned above as they beat me to it, you can assign a Pokemon to walk with you and after a certain distance (each Pokemon has a certain distance, I want to say between 1k-5k) you get that certain candy. And if the watch works for it, might be pretty awesome and worth the $35.
Old 09-20-16, 10:53 PM
Political Exile

Received 481 Likes on 317 Posts

$35 is almost half of the price of a Mario Kart 2DS bundle... a small plastic device with a blinking led isn't worth $35. Spend that on some extra incubators instead.
Old 09-21-16, 09:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 243 Likes on 178 Posts

Game has been crashing a lot lately on startup for me, sometimes I have to try about 3 times before it will successfully open. And have also been having this bug where the first ball I throw is like it was launched out of one of those guns they use at NBA games to shoot t-shirts into the upper deck.
Old 09-21-16, 10:45 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,941 Likes on 1,502 Posts

Finally got my Plus from Amazon after preordering ages ago. It's not worth it by any stretch of the imagination, but my kid is having a blast with it without having to use my phone, so there's that.
Old 09-21-16, 11:42 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 754 Likes on 491 Posts

I had no idea about this buddy system update! I just did a little reading up on it and have assigned my first walking partner.

I wish it yielded more candy - and also that the distance tracking system worked better. It's one of those things that you might as well take advantage since it's free candy.

Since you don't get much, I can see it being useful for finally evolving some of those critters that you don't find too often or have hatched a couple times but don't quite have enough to evolve. I picked one I am only three or four candies away from evolving. It seems like an impossible mission for those very rare ones, though.
Old 09-22-16, 09:01 PM

DeFan -- journal?
You've probably found it by now but:
tap on your avatar
tap on the 3 horizontal line thing (AKA hamburger button as I just googled)
there you'll see the Journal, Buddy, and customize icons

I never got around to testing it but every so often I opened the journal anyway, just in case. I was already in the market for a better phone so I upgraded to something with 8GB and the new phone doesn't freeze.

A single player can take down a level 7 or 8 gym if they have enough revives and dodge a lot. Although I've switched to leveling up my teams gyms instead. It's nice to check after 21 hours and still have mons in 2 or 3 gyms. Stardust is in short supply for me these days. 500 stardust per gym.
Old 09-29-16, 12:46 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 754 Likes on 491 Posts

I've discovered that I can take advantage of the buggy tracking system for incubating eggs. I get spotty GPS reception when in my office at work. Because of that, my character tends to drift around, sometimes as far as across the street. It turns out all of that drifting counts toward my kilometers. I hatched an entire 2 kilometer egg before lunch just by leaving my phone on in my office. Not too bad.
Old 09-29-16, 01:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 243 Likes on 178 Posts

I have a similar situation in my office. There is a poke stop at our building that isn't close enough to hit when I am outside but when I am inside the gps makes me walk back and forth and I get to hit that poke stop all day long racking up balls and potions.
Old 09-30-16, 12:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 234 Likes on 167 Posts

Husband and I are hugely into Pokémon. I'm at 196 k miles walked and he's at 202 k... but I was 70k down when this hooked me into walking/running and now I'm hitting 20+ miles a week. He's level 23, I'm level 24.

I spent $100 and maxed out Pokémon and items (1000 each), about to start a second round when I finish 3 pages of eggs (9 eggs at a time one in an unlimited incubator, that's 8 paid incubators per "page," 26 eggs is about 3 pages left).

Because of the spotty GPS I pretty much get a mile per incubator. When I just use the $100 to buy incubators that's gonna get me about 96 miles or about a month. This time I got about 60 miles/3 weeks worth of walking/running.

People pay $100 for less than two hours of personal training. I got more motivation out of those $100

I have a rule that I only buy incubators with it, that gets me moving (have lost 15.2 lbs in six weeks, mostly due to Pokémon Go).

Although I've gotten into farming and I get about 65k XP per lucky egg so I completely plan to drop about $105 to get the 20 million XP for level 40 out of farmed Pokémon.

There's a park 2.5 miles from home with about 17 Pokestops around a lake that's great for running/Pokestop farming. No Pokémon which is better for running

I totally plan to get a Pokémon Go Plus band when they're back in stock everywhere. It counts a whole day worth of distance towards eggs/buddies. This past month, for instance, I've gone 78 miles, at a rate of 4.5 miles per 5K (the game under-gives distance), that's 17 of the 5k candies. And that's just my workouts, that doesn't count every-day walking. And if it's 3K like the Wartotle, that's 29 candies per month at least + all the regular walking. Blastooie for me in less than 2 months

Last edited by GatorDeb; 09-30-16 at 04:29 AM.
Old 09-30-16, 12:25 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 557 Likes on 408 Posts

You do you GatorDeb!!!
Old 09-30-16, 02:36 PM
Banned

Took the kids to Papago park here in Phoenix and we each caught 15 slow pokes in a matter of 45 minutes. We Lila evolved to the slow bro as well. The place is a nest of them.
Old 10-01-16, 07:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 460 Likes on 373 Posts

I'm losing interest and will probably stop playing once Winter rolls around.
Old 10-02-16, 11:30 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I failed miserably at my goal of hitting 30 over a weekend period, but I have made amazing progress in the last two weeks. Completed my dex. Grinded up to 33 from 27. All of this was from forming a clan to take gyms.

If you're losing interest I'd highly suggest reaching out to users in your area via facebook or reddit. It has definitely upped the games value for me. We have a crew of 30 or so that do nightly gym runs and send group texts when we find some of the rarer pokemon. Pretty neat. I have quite a few pokemons in gyms so I have no choice but to actively hunt every day for star dust and to evolve 2000+ CP mons in order to be able to attack/defend more and more gyms. It really helps that blue (we are red) are also pretty active and do runs as well. I think we both leave the one yellow ten top in town alone

Digging the walking aspect as well, 750km down (which is around 750 miles according to my fitness tracker). I don't mind dropping $20 a week on incubators when I'm getting 20 hours+ of enjoyment out of the game. $1 an hour is cheap af.
Old 10-02-16, 11:48 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by flair
I failed miserably at my goal of hitting 30 over a weekend period, but I have made amazing progress in the last two weeks. Completed my dex. Grinded up to 33 from 27. All of this was from forming a clan to take gyms.

If you're losing interest I'd highly suggest reaching out to users in your area via facebook or reddit. It has definitely upped the games value for me. We have a crew of 30 or so that do nightly gym runs and send group texts when we find some of the rarer pokemon. Pretty neat. I have quite a few pokemons in gyms so I have no choice but to actively hunt every day for star dust and to evolve 2000+ CP mons in order to be able to attack/defend more and more gyms. It really helps that blue (we are red) are also pretty active and do runs as well. I think we both leave the one yellow ten top in town alone

Digging the walking aspect as well, 750km down (which is around 750 miles according to my fitness tracker). I don't mind dropping $20 a week on incubators when I'm getting 20 hours+ of enjoyment out of the game. $1 an hour is cheap af.
I thought KM and miles are different?

Besides that, how the heck did you collect every Pokemon in the game?
Old 10-02-16, 12:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Pokemon Go is somewhere between actual distance and as the crow flies. I often do a loop that for every 1km it tracks about .4km if I'm lucky. My loop in the city is extremely stop efficient but not pokemon go efficient for eggs and candy. Hell, even if you walk in a completely straight line I've found it to be 10-20% off compared to google maps and my fitness tracker. A bit of hyperbole, a bit of truth.

I am at 142/142, the most you can get without flying to another continent. I guess I should have stated that I completed the North American dex.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.