Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Pokemon GO (IOS/Android)

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-16, 07:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,245 Likes on 856 Posts
Re: Pokemon GO (IOS/Android)

Originally Posted by Mikael79
I've caught maybe 4-5 Tauros, but not one damn Charmander!
I have 2 Tauros and a Charmander -- all caught. Ironically, one of the Tauros was caught outside a steak house.

Been getting hosed on on my 5K eggs lately. Today I hatched a freaking Nidoran.

I did have a couple of decent evolutions today though -- Exeggutor at 1235CP and Parasect at 885CP.
Old 08-16-16, 08:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by clckworang
I know that, but it doesn't make it any less amusing to me that one of the spots in a game largely targeting children is a place where you can buy a bong and some sex toys.
To be fair, have you seen some of these Pokecritters? Not sure if you could tell them apart from a bong or a sex toy.
Old 08-17-16, 05:34 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by clckworang
I know that, but it doesn't make it any less amusing to me that one of the spots in a game largely targeting children is a place where you can buy a bong and some sex toys.
The ingress user probably worked at that store lol
Old 08-17-16, 08:12 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Krayzie
The ingress user probably worked at that store lol
Was the name of the store "Ingress and Egress"?

Caught my 500th Pokemon in my driveway this morning!
Old 08-17-16, 08:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 460 Likes on 373 Posts

I was in Downtown Toronto today and was walking down Spadina (Toronto's Chinatown) and I couldn't believe the number of Pokestops. At least 3-4 in one block.

I'll be going to Downtown again next week, and I'll be making sure to stock up.
Old 08-18-16, 11:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Anybody figure out how to use the compass or the "Sighting" system yet? I read a few things online, but they were all from when the three foot-print system was in place.

There are two settings for the compass -- one points north and the other ... ? I thought it may point towards the nearest Pokémon, but didn't have time to confirm that today.

As far as the "Sightings" system, I had three Pokémon in the little "onboard" bar while sitting still. The third one (not the first one) popped up while I was sitting there.
Old 08-19-16, 06:31 AM

Originally Posted by Abob Teff
Anybody figure out how to use the compass or the "Sighting" system yet? I read a few things online, but they were all from when the three foot-print system was in place.

There are two settings for the compass -- one points north and the other ... ? I thought it may point towards the nearest Pokémon, but didn't have time to confirm that today.

As far as the "Sightings" system, I had three Pokémon in the little "onboard" bar while sitting still. The third one (not the first one) popped up while I was sitting there.
Is the compass new? As far as I know, there is no tracking unless you're in the testing areas that tell you what pokestops certain pokemon are near.
Old 08-19-16, 11:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: the kingdom of the evil Voratians, ruled by the wicked Ak-Oga
Received 85 Likes on 48 Posts

The border still flashes green like it did before when you were heading in the right direction of a certain pokemon, but since you can't highlight certain ones anymore, it's hard to say which of the three you're heading in the right direction of. I've picked up several rares at my apartment complex that showed as silhouettes on the tracker, since I didn't have them in the pokedex yet, but luckily there's only two spots they spawn in, so it wasn't hard to find them. Aside from that, I don't think there's much more narrowing down of an area to find what shows on the tracker.
Old 08-19-16, 01:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts

Originally Posted by The Infidel
The border still flashes green like it did before when you were heading in the right direction of a certain pokemon, but since you can't highlight certain ones anymore, it's hard to say which of the three you're heading in the right direction of. I've picked up several rares at my apartment complex that showed as silhouettes on the tracker, since I didn't have them in the pokedex yet, but luckily there's only two spots they spawn in, so it wasn't hard to find them. Aside from that, I don't think there's much more narrowing down of an area to find what shows on the tracker.
I'm pretty sure the green border never meant that. It only meant that your GPS was updating. It will flash even when you're not moving.
Old 08-19-16, 07:37 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

27 more pokemon to go for me. Just hit level 28 this afternoon. It is supposed to finally be cool around here, low 70's for highs this weekend. Might attempt to go from 28 to 30 over the weekend. 650k experience though...1.35 million xp to 2 million...ouch. But, that seems to be the cap of catchable pokemon and the point where leveling gets pointless beyond stardust and finishing the dex.
Old 08-19-16, 11:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Is the compass new? As far as I know, there is no tracking unless you're in the testing areas that tell you what pokestops certain pokemon are near.
I don't think it is new. As a default, it points north. However if you click on it, it detaches from north and points towards something else. As mentioned, you can no longer select a Pokemon from the "tracker bar". I'm theorizing it points toward the nearest Pokemon (which doesn't always appear on the first spot on the left).

My issue is I am on crutches right now, so I have done most of my hunting while riding (not driving!) in the car. It also makes testing this theory difficult.
Old 08-20-16, 03:31 AM
Banned

Article came out stating Pokémon play has dropped over 20%. Not sure if the "fad" is over or not. I for one got tired of all the changes made and in Arizona it's too damn hot to go outside so I haven't even opened the app in over a week
Old 08-21-16, 04:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I think weather has been a major factor in many areas. I can also see how the novelty could be wearing off for some. Add to that the fact that Niantic banned an entire country ...
Old 08-21-16, 05:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 404 Likes on 304 Posts

I haven't played it as much as I used to. But yeah, weather, work, kids.

Life is hard.
Old 08-22-16, 05:16 AM

They need to implement tracking. It should be like the commercial where it tells you which way to go and how far away you are. They also need to add more spawns everywhere. When pokevision was up, santa monica pier and NY had a ridiculous amount of different pokemon.
Old 08-22-16, 08:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I do think this game needs to have a better tracking system than what we have (which is nothing). I spent most of the day at Harbourfront in Downtown Toronto and finally was able to stock up on Magikarps, Eevees and caught 3 Dratinis. The Dratini never appeared in the map. I'm Lv. 19 now. I was 16 before I left home.
Old 08-23-16, 06:13 AM

Originally Posted by LorenzoL
I do think this game needs to have a better tracking system than what we have (which is nothing). I spent most of the day at Harbourfront in Downtown Toronto and finally was able to stock up on Magikarps, Eevees and caught 3 Dratinis. The Dratini never appeared in the map. I'm Lv. 19 now. I was 16 before I left home.
Were the dratinis from lures / incense? I don't think those will appear on your map.
Old 08-23-16, 07:41 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Sgtsnake
Article came out stating Pokémon play has dropped over 20%. Not sure if the "fad" is over or not. I for one got tired of all the changes made and in Arizona it's too damn hot to go outside so I haven't even opened the app in over a week
My kids have started to lose interest - mostly because (at least in our area) it seems to be like 75% ratatta/pidgey and none of the "good" pokemon. Even when we go out and drive to different areas of town it doesn't seem to be any better.

All there is (for now) is catch, evolve, train/fight at a gym .. wash, rinse, repeat ... gets boring after time
Old 08-23-16, 07:49 AM

Originally Posted by A-aron
My kids have started to lose interest - mostly because (at least in our area) it seems to be like 75% ratatta/pidgey and none of the "good" pokemon. Even when we go out and drive to different areas of town it doesn't seem to be any better.

All there is (for now) is catch, evolve, train/fight at a gym .. wash, rinse, repeat ... gets boring after time
Yeah, you have to live in the city to get the most out of this game. I gave up on gyms as my pokemon aren't high enough CP to battle all the 2000+ ones. It also doesn't help that gym battles are boring.
Old 08-23-16, 03:32 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 755 Likes on 492 Posts

Originally Posted by A-aron

Yeah, it has reached the point that it has been weeks since I saw something I didn't have out in the wild. It feels like the only ways to uncover something new is to hatch it or evolve it.
Old 08-23-16, 08:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Were the dratinis from lures / incense? I don't think those will appear on your map.
They were probably spawning thanks to the lures as the 3 Pokestops side by side are restaurants and they have it lured up constantly.
Old 08-23-16, 08:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

New update for iOS 1.5 and Android 0.35 is out and the mayor feature is that the Team Leaders are now able to appraise your Pokemon if it's worth evolving or not.

http://m.ca.ign.com/wikis/pokemon-go...d_Hidden_Stats
Old 08-28-16, 08:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

More fuel for the speculation of trading features to come?

Read an article with more speculation on trading due to the massive uptick of the number of "region specific" Pokemon spawns. That said, Tauros have been popping up like crazy around here.
Old 08-31-16, 09:53 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 755 Likes on 492 Posts

I guess this is likely the result of waning interest, but I've noticed more and more often that characters I leave at a gym stay for more than 24 hours. Of course, I'm already cashed out, but that would have never happened a few weeks ago.

Also, I find it lame that you can only have one character at a particular gym at a time. I can see where you might want to restrict someone from putting two characters in a row, though.

Here's the thing. I had left something at a gym the day prior. I went the next day with the idea of increasing the gym prestige enough to leave another character there to shore up the gym. After many battles, I upped enough to allow for another character. Of course, I quickly discovered I couldn't. I realize this rule is in effect to prevent people from stacking a gym merely for the payout, but I think it could be adjusted to allow for more honest gym usage like what I described.
Old 09-05-16, 09:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Thought I had a great strategy to hold onto a gym for a long time ... The local water park was open for the last day of the season today. Turns out they had a gym on the grounds and it isn't accessible offsite. I watched it all day and it sat with my faction/team with an open spot. As we got ready to leave I dropped a Pokemon in there. They were open for a few more hours and I watched and waited, thinking I would have a gym spot until April! Another group swooped in and took the gym with 30 minutes to go ... Damnit!

I agree with you clckwrkorang, would be nice if you could leave two in one gym. Although I have to say, the allure of the gyms and battling are kind of lost on me. Most of the stuff you buy with coins can be found at Pokestops. If I could get certain candies or stardust it would be much more interesting.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.