Other
9.76%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

Your most disappointing game of 2014?

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-14, 12:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,650 Likes on 1,031 Posts
Re: Your most disappointing game of 2014?

Originally Posted by musick
sadly you missed out on a great portion of the game
legendary/exotic armor/weapons, raids, etc by not playing past level 20

I can understand the feeling of repetition but I don't think the game should be judged on up to level 20 only
I don't like games where the fun "starts" once you reach the end. They failed to put their best foot forward. That stuff should have been happening along the way. Making me farm gear just to raise my level enough to see the good stuff? No thanks. You can run kickass dungeons and raids in WoW throughout your level progression. That's the right way to do it.
Old 11-12-14, 12:12 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I'd go with either Destiny or Watch Dogs. Destiny just didn't engross me and I stopped playing it quickly. Watch Dogs had so many things it did well but I stopped playing it because eventually I just got bored with it.
Old 11-12-14, 12:14 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Amazing Spider-Man 2
Double post but that's another good one. Beenox had done some really good Spiderman games up to that but AS2 was a lot of steps back. Glad they kept the unlock able comics though. Wish the Arkham games did that.
Old 11-12-14, 12:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Draven
I wasn't planning on mucking around with the Light gear so I just hit the regular cap and called it good. The game was done, at that point. Wasn't interested in farming areas I'd already run a million times, especially since I had to go through them multiple times as it was..
I hated Destiny up to the point you stopped, so I'm picking up what you're putting down, but Musick is also correct. You haven't played the best content in the game or used any of the best gear.

That said, it was the game I was looking forward to most, and I never really cared about any of the others, so I'm voting for it. It's deeply flawed despite having obvious potential and phenomenal gameplay. It's fun...really fun even...but some of the design choices in the game are simply mindboggling.
Old 11-12-14, 12:37 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,186 Likes on 4,213 Posts

No game that you truly enjoy can be considered that disappointing, even if there were missed opportunities that kept it from perfection
Old 11-12-14, 12:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

Disagreed wholeheartedly. I can be heavily disappointed in something and still enjoy it.
Old 11-12-14, 12:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Decker
No game that you truly enjoy can be considered that disappointing, even if there were missed opportunities that kept it from perfection
Destiny kicks me in the crotch on an almost daily basis, and I voted for it. Good day, sir!

Why are Infamous and Lego Marvel on the list? Solid games.

And no MCC, which joins ACU and #Drive___ on the all-broken team?

What about the delays for Arkham Knight, Evolve and Order 1886, amongst others?

Edit: This year has really sucked, hasn't it?
Old 11-12-14, 12:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

You're both wrong. And right.
Old 11-12-14, 12:47 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,881 Likes on 1,238 Posts

Originally Posted by chess
Lego Marvel came out last year (and, I agree, it's a solid game). Disney Infinity 2.0 is what's up for grabs here, and the Marvel end of that was pretty frequently panned.

Infamous has a lot going for it (unbelievable graphics, strong characterization, a really well fleshed-out city, etc.), but it strikes me as being thin on content and awfully repetitive. It gets enough right that I still like it a lot (heck, I imported First Light from the UK so I could have a physical copy!), but I wish it had come out later in the year to be infused with more compelling side missions, more varied enemy encounters, etc.
Old 11-12-14, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Adam Tyner
Lego Marvel came out last year (and, I agree, it's a solid game). Disney Infinity 2.0 is what's up for grabs here, and the Marvel end of that was pretty frequently panned.
When I scanned the list, I must have seen "Marvel" and just word-associated. Hell, I forget that all that Skylanders/Infinity stuff even exists!

Infamous has a lot going for it (unbelievable graphics, strong characterization, a really well fleshed-out city, etc.), but it strikes me as being thin on content and awfully repetitive. It gets enough right that I still like it a lot (heck, I imported First Light from the UK so I could have a physical copy!), but I wish it had come out later in the year to be infused with more compelling side missions, more varied enemy encounters, etc.
My feeling too. Any disappointment I had was very mild. The game was good, just not great.

As opposed to Destiny, which is great but not good.
Old 11-12-14, 12:58 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,183 Likes on 835 Posts

For games I've actually bought and played... the only one that comes to mind is Wolfenstein. I like it, I guess, but I really can't get into it. CoD: AW seems to be following the same path already for me. I'm going to power through both games and dump them soon.
Old 11-12-14, 01:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My feeling too. Any disappointment I had was very mild. The game was good, just not great.

As opposed to Destiny, which is great but not good.
agree on both
Old 11-12-14, 01:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I got Destiny on a deal, not that impressed with it. Pretty but soulless, fights are kind of boring, not a big fan of grinding for loot (did it plenty for Dark Souls but at least the combat is terrific in that).

Barely played it, and dropped as soon as I got my hands on Shadow of Mordor (although that was fun, but too easy) and now Bayonetta 2.
Old 11-12-14, 01:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I only put Infamous on the list because I can remember lots of people saying how boring or disappointing they thought it was. I actually really enjoyed it, but I didn't play the first two and couldn't compare it to the original games, so it might have been disappointing in that aspect.

Originally Posted by Decker
This is Destiny for me. I continue to play the game, and enjoy playing it when I do. Which is also why deep down I continue to hate myself But for the reasons I listed in my first post is why I voted for it as well.
Old 11-12-14, 02:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

I haven't even come close to playing all the games on this list (I only buy about a half dozen a year, IF that), but Watch Dogs was a big let down for me.
Old 11-12-14, 02:33 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Evil Within

Destiny is definitely a close runner-up based on what could've been vs. what we got, but at least I did have quite a bit of fun playing it for a while.
Old 11-12-14, 02:59 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 120 Likes on 108 Posts

I have no idea why Infamous is even on there. the last I looked the game got solid reviews across the board. I had a great time playing this both good & evil.

I would cast my vote for Driveclub. This was suppose to be out at launch, delayed, delayed again, and delayed again. All the while getting stunning images and nice looking trailers with a "Lite" version for all PS Plus users...and we're still waiting with zero word on when.

And Assassins Creed Unity...just a few days old so to early for a verdict but it's off to a real rocky start.
Old 11-12-14, 03:02 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

The only game on the list I paid for was Destiny and I've spent 100+ hours on it.

So N/A, I guess?
Old 11-12-14, 03:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by K&AJones
I have no idea why Infamous is even on there. the last I looked the game got solid reviews across the board. I had a great time playing this both good & evil.
the fact the main anagonist's powers are to make concrete come out of ones legs is enough to put this on the disappointing list

I liked the game even when it got repetative (so many games this year can be faulted for this) but the story was pretty weak and the differences between good and evil were hardly noticable
Old 11-12-14, 03:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

None, for me, but I've only bought these games this year:

Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance (PC)
Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes (PS4)
Mario Golf: World Tour
Mario Kart 8
Old 11-12-14, 03:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Quake1028
None, for me, but I've only bought these games this year:

Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance (PC)
Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes (PS4)
Mario Golf: World Tour
Mario Kart 8
You need to get Metro and Minecraft.
Old 11-12-14, 03:45 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 120 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by musick
the fact the main anagonist's powers are to make concrete come out of ones legs is enough to put this on the disappointing list

I liked the game even when it got repetative (so many games this year can be faulted for this) but the story was pretty weak and the differences between good and evil were hardly noticable
For me they were and unless you were just totally gun-ho...you had to be far more selective and careful damage wise with "good" powers so not to kill civilians. Being Evil...everything goes. Personally never got tired of playing around with the Neon especially with it raining and at night.
Old 11-12-14, 06:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 553 Likes on 404 Posts

Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze (I was a big fan of the original trilogy but this game is just not fun to play)
Old 11-12-14, 06:07 PM

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts

inFamous: Second Son for me. Just didn't think the game was much fun or the characters interesting, and the fact that the Evil mode made no sense storywise. I am disappointed a bit with Titanfall as far as a lack of a compelling story, but the game mechanics are a lot of fun for a FPS, and its best bits are being copied/emulated by the COD/Halo franchises. Destiny is fun, but I haven't played it much since it first came out. Will probably play it more now that the weather is changing.
Old 11-12-14, 10:47 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 258 Likes on 195 Posts

Watch Dogs for me.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.