Reload this Page >

Middle Earth: Shadow of Mordor

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Middle Earth: Shadow of Mordor

Old 01-25-17, 05:57 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 117 Likes on 105 Posts
Re: Middle Earth: Shadow of Mordor

Yea...we've been going back and forth with Far Cry 4. That is real a blast and hoot...especially when riding the Elephants. Still annoyed with the co-op part where the one hosting gets credit for the mission while the joining player doesn't...that forces you to do stuff twice which was getting on our nerves. And I liked the Arena...that was just pandemonium, hectic and crazy...
Old 01-25-17, 07:13 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 878 Likes on 743 Posts

Really wish I could figure this one out. I loved the GameCube version of Two Towers and that was just hack and slash. This world intrigues me and I loved the shit out of Arkham Asylum...
Old 04-29-17, 08:21 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 81 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by davidh777
That is tough, but there are some activities you can do like finding runes and herbs that will give you points without fighting, and using stealth mode will help you find isolated orcs. Really the key is avoiding getting swarmed as much as you can help it. Stealth killing helps that a lot.
That's what I'm running into. I'll stealth stealth stealth kill a few, then stop hiding, then in about thirty seconds I'm surrounded by orcs including 3 or 4 generals, then pull a Sir Robin.
I like it a lot better than the Arkham games but something about how to play isn't totally clicking with me.
The generals coming back if you don't kill them is really cool though.
Old 05-01-17, 08:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 460 Likes on 373 Posts

This game is very tough if your skill levels are too low. Once you have all of your skills set maxed out, this game becomes almost too easy. The only challenge is when 2 or more War Chiefs or Captains surround you along with the grunts.

My advice will be to start finding the artifacts, Ithildin and the Weapons Legends as soon as you can in order to obtain the upgrade points needed to level up your skills.

I just finished the main story yesterday and I just need to obtain the trophies to be done with this game. I truly enjoyed this game and according to the in game stats, I spent over 75 hours with it. I hope that the sequel don't mess too much with what they have and looking forward how the gearing and customization will bring.
Old 05-01-17, 12:16 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 980 Likes on 811 Posts

Originally Posted by dtcarson
then pull a Sir Robin.

I often found myself in the middle of orc strongholds and hightailed it outta there.
Old 07-06-17, 03:32 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 136 Likes on 105 Posts

Xbox One GOTY is currently $4

https://www.microsoft.com/en-US/stor...n/BPBKTSC16MWT

Note: I got an E-mail saying that it (regular version?) would be free this weekend for Xbox One and Steam / $3.99 for PS4 *shrug*

Last edited by Music; 07-06-17 at 04:16 PM.
Old 07-07-17, 01:24 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,352 Likes on 917 Posts

How do I suck less in this game? I have lost to the same fucking Captain guy like 15 times. He is massively overpowered now. Problem is I will be engaging other enemies and he just randomly shows up, so I either run or die. What makes it easier to fight larger mobs? Seems like anytime I get 5 or more enemies, I can't take them out as they just surround me and crush me.
Old 07-07-17, 02:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 435 Likes on 304 Posts

I remember that early on, I'd just run away when I'd get swarmed by more than 2 or 3 guys, then scurry back and take out one or two at a time, instead of a whole mob.
Old 07-07-17, 03:04 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

What skills do you have so far....and you do have Brand...without it it's going to be tough. Depending on where you can use the environments around you...like the hanging meat bags to get the Hounds in, explosive barrels and of course pay attention to their weakness and strengths list that tells you what to us e and not to try.

Starting out early I just chopped away from the outside in before going after him and used heights to get away, get a breather and then attack again. When I got Branding I used it all the time no matter. In a Fort, I'd brand half the enemies inside before going after a War Chief. By far Branding enemies takes a load off. And no matter how many you have keep branding and let them draw the mobs. Archers up high really help along with the Big Guys with Shields and Spears...they can take and deal a lot of damage. A group of Spear Throwers can deal a lot of damage from a distance.

A Captain and a few soldiers are doable if they're altogether and you can keep up the combos but they'll chop away at your health without backup. Brand as many as you can and then call for all of them to strike. Kill as many of the grunts as possible and then hopefully it will be you and a few Branded Friends to take the Captain down...just don't kill him... Branded Captains are worth a lot later on.
Old 07-07-17, 08:41 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,352 Likes on 917 Posts

I am only on 2nd tier right now, so no brand. It is getting easier now I am getting better skills. But the beginning of the game is ridiculously difficult without any skills or upgrades.
Old 07-07-17, 09:15 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 878 Likes on 743 Posts

Originally Posted by Deftones
I am only on 2nd tier right now, so no brand. It is getting easier now I am getting better skills. But the beginning of the game is ridiculously difficult without any skills or upgrades.
i'll say. i just got the game of year edition and hope to try it again soon...
Old 07-10-17, 01:23 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 980 Likes on 811 Posts

The challenge for me was learning to treat this as a stealth game because I'm more used to charging into things as if they were FPSs. Like Deftones, I kept getting killed by the same guy. I'd scout out where he was on the map then travel to the complete opposite corner, then he'd still show up and kill me. It sure was satisfying to finally kill him off.
Old 07-10-17, 03:21 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Deftones
I was in the same boat when starting out...it was brutal in several areas. I think Brand is like Tier 4 but there are some good abilities in Tier 3....Wraith Finisher and Combat Drain are really good...I used Wraith Finisher all the time....an exploding Orc Head does wonders on sending a few fleeing.

All the Ranger abilities are good in that tier but don't underestimate Vault Stun and Brace of Daggers which can damage several coming your way with three at one shot. The Vault Stun can get you over and behind an enemy for a quick takedown, flurry of combos, execution. Before Brand the Shadow Strike was my favorite go-to especially Archers up high. And even good hitting Orcs down below. And any chance you can hop on a Caragor...do it. I found them as my best friends all through out the game.