Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

No Man's Sky (PS4, PC) (8/9/16)

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-16, 01:30 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 408 Likes on 308 Posts
Re: No Man's Sky (PS4, PC) (8/9/16)

I just had another crash. I was warping to a system and the screen went white and kicked me out. Total bullshit.

Then I got into battle with some hostile ships and destroyed three of them. There was one left but the game said I won the battle. I looked and saw one ship fleeing. I attempted to catch it but no sale. I couldn't activate pulse engines because technically I was still in battle. I waited a minute to see if the ship would escape and it never did. I was too far away from anything so I was forced to commit suicide by slamming into asteroids.
Old 08-17-16, 05:16 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Some interesting stuff going down over at /r/NoMansSkyTheGame.

There was this really long and thorough post about all of the features Sean Murray said were in the game and stuff that they are even still advertising in videos that aren't in the game. Then the post disappeared, either because the user was banned from the sub, he deleted the post, or was hacked and deleted the post.

Here is an archive of the list:
https://archive.is/V5Zns
Old 08-17-16, 08:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by flashburn
Some interesting stuff going down over at /r/NoMansSkyTheGame.

There was this really long and thorough post about all of the features Sean Murray said were in the game and stuff that they are even still advertising in videos that aren't in the game. Then the post disappeared, either because the user was banned from the sub, he deleted the post, or was hacked and deleted the post.

Here is an archive of the list:
https://archive.is/V5Zns
Is Sean Murray related to Peter Molyneux?
Old 08-17-16, 09:58 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by mhg83
Is Sean Murray related to Peter Molyneux?
Might as well be at this point. Pretty crazy. Still a fun game, but I'm glad I didn't follow it as closely as a lot of people did, I'd be pretty pissed. The blatant false advertising that's going on right now is still pretty horrible.
Old 08-17-16, 10:09 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,265 Likes on 4,283 Posts

Originally Posted by james2025a
Had an hour tonight and found a planet with tonnes of flying fish.
Speaking of which, are there any planets with swimming fishes?
Old 08-17-16, 11:28 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 120 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker
Speaking of which, are there any planets with swimming fishes?
Yep...the second one I came upon had a lite blue-ish grass covering the landscape knee high with water that was like a rust color but in shallow areas you could see clearly. Not only fish (just one species) but rocks and plants only found under water. These almost looked like Angel Fish but with a more pointed nose. It was nice looking.

I got the Frozen Screen four times within about 5-6 minutes last night all in the same place...a Shelter with a Alien in it and the screen locked up either speaking to him or opening the box on the wall. I included a video of it when I sent the report in. I finally re-started the PS4 and didn't have a issue again.

On third planet in the system and this looks like Mars....everything a reddish rust and there is heat but thankfully I have the Heat shield for the suit I made so no worries. But there is nothing hardly...Plants or even items to get anything from and have yet see one lick of life. I can clearly see a huge Space Station above...almost like a Octagon Death Star.

I did switch ships though, a crashed one had just two slots more but really didn't have much damaged that costs much to fix and plus it's that X-Wing looking one I like. The other served me well but two slot is two more than I had before.
Old 08-17-16, 12:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

Well i finally got the Atlas Key this morning. That will be a big time saver in being able to trade using Space stations rather than having to find traders on each planet. I named my first couple of planets last night. My step daughter liked one main planet that i was on, it was very Earth like and a lot of stuff to find easily. So called it Yarian. I also found an arctic planet that had a very low temperature and you could hardly stand to be outside it was so cold. Called that one the Ex-Wife.
Old 08-17-16, 01:43 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by nickdawgy
It doesn't disappear. It still sits there. Granted I never looked back after flying away so I dunno. But as long as you're right there, it's still on the ground.
What I've been doing is landing next to the crashed ship, then I get it and dismantle all the broken technologies, get all the goodies, and then walk back over to my perfectly working starship and get it back. Easy way to pick up some ingredients.
Old 08-17-16, 02:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

All the claims are pretty bogus, but I'd like to think they'd add stuff to the game over time. The news is that a patch coming is supposed to make us all "very happy" but if it's just something like increasing framerate, I think it might have the opposite effect.
Old 08-17-16, 02:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,999 Likes on 1,547 Posts

I don't even understand what this snippet means:
The team programmed some of the physics for aesthetic reasons. For instance, Duncan insisted on permitting moons to orbit closer to their planets than Newtonian physics would allow. When he desired the possibility of green skies, the team had to redesign the periodic table to create atmospheric particles that would diffract light at just the right wavelength.
http://www.theatlantic.com/technolog...ns-sky/463308/
Old 08-17-16, 03:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I keep picturing a shot of the NMS creator jumping up in the air like the Peggle 2 guy.
Old 08-17-16, 03:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 948 Likes on 694 Posts

Originally Posted by fujishig

Is that implying the sky color is a product of elements being programmed in and dynamically interacting to create the color? Rather than just selecting from a color wheel?
Old 08-17-16, 03:54 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by fujishig

It means it's just more horseshit.

Just like planets don't even revolve around the sun in this game. The sun isn't even more than just a light source. You can't fly to it or into it because there is not "it".
Old 08-17-16, 04:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Noonan
Is that implying the sky color is a product of elements being programmed in and dynamically interacting to create the color? Rather than just selecting from a color wheel?
Is that really how his game is designed? I mean that sounds cool and all but who would even know that?

"We're running a tight deadline, Scott, what did you program today"
"I spent the past 20 hours coming up with new elements on our periodic table so that light would refract properly on our particles to make the sky green. Then because everything is intertwined we had 30 hours of regression tests and debugging to make sure it didn't affect anything else. So I didn't get a chance to work on that whole gravity thing when you mine, but I'm sure nobody will notice floating elements. "

Last edited by fujishig; 08-17-16 at 04:34 PM.
Old 08-17-16, 05:53 PM

How many slots does the pre-order ship have?
Old 08-17-16, 08:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 451 Likes on 316 Posts

Originally Posted by tlwizard
How many slots does the pre-order ship have?
16 - and it's still the coolest looking ship I've seen so far.
Old 08-17-16, 11:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I just had two consecutive crashes doing the exact same thing. Blasted open a steel door, went in to grab an upgrade, and crash.

Check that. Make it three straight times.

Hopefully the patch fixes these bullshit glitches and crashes.
Old 08-17-16, 11:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Btw, is anyone else always disconnected? I don't know what to do to change that.
Old 08-18-16, 07:07 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Well i finally got the Atlas Key this morning. That will be a big time saver in being able to trade using Space stations rather than having to find traders on each planet. I named my first couple of planets last night. My step daughter liked one main planet that i was on, it was very Earth like and a lot of stuff to find easily. So called it Yarian. I also found an arctic planet that had a very low temperature and you could hardly stand to be outside it was so cold. Called that one the Ex-Wife.

Did you follow the quest or do it on your own.....

I came close to going ahead and warp to a new system to get started on the Atlas Key. Everytime I want to I say heck, why not hit this planet first and get the scans and loot. I'm on my 5th Planet in the system (Total of six) and the last two didn't even have animal life so I got the scans on the plants, 100% and leave. I only lack two animals on the current and then off to number six. Just debating on going back to the first one since it had more loot and minerals than 2-3 other planets combined. But I need to get the Atlas Key.

I did get another Multi-Tool with another 3 slots and the loadout arrangement was exactly what I was looking for. I only had to delete 3 and now have Laser, scanner and Boltcutter stuff all in line with each other.
Old 08-18-16, 02:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

I have followed the Atlas Quest line. I was lucky the last two systems before as they only had two planets and it didnt take me long to land and do a few things. I don't actually think i have gotten 100% on any planet yet. I just don't see the benefit too much. Sure you get cash, but in the same amount of time i can mine and make more selling resources.

I am now at 46 slots for suit, so just 2 more and done with that. Gonna spend time scouting for better crashed ships and look at upgrading that next. Once i have each thing maxed out with slots i am gonna take a serious look at organizing upgrades to get the best possible from each.

I saw a few new things last night. I saw fish actually in water this time. I also so very small animals that were about the size of maybe a cat. Saw a couple of different species that size. I also saw a few instances of animals attacking and killing one another. I found a large cow like creature on the top of a tall pillar of resources which was funny.
Old 08-18-16, 02:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 451 Likes on 316 Posts

I'm waiting until the next update before I play again. They didn't give any specifics, but they said the next update, which is mostly ready, but just being tested, will add and improve a lot of things.
Old 08-18-16, 02:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 249 Likes on 182 Posts

Just wanted to say I am enjoying the hell out of this game. The hours fly by while playing.
Old 08-18-16, 03:14 PM

Update just hit on my PS4.
Old 08-18-16, 03:22 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 138 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by tlwizard
Update just hit on my PS4.
Ditto!
Old 08-18-16, 05:28 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I have followed the Atlas Quest line. I was lucky the last two systems before as they only had two planets and it didnt take me long to land and do a few things. I don't actually think i have gotten 100% on any planet yet. I just don't see the benefit too much. Sure you get cash, but in the same amount of time i can mine and make more selling resources.

I am now at 46 slots for suit, so just 2 more and done with that. Gonna spend time scouting for better crashed ships and look at upgrading that next. Once i have each thing maxed out with slots i am gonna take a serious look at organizing upgrades to get the best possible from each.

I saw a few new things last night. I saw fish actually in water this time. I also so very small animals that were about the size of maybe a cat. Saw a couple of different species that size. I also saw a few instances of animals attacking and killing one another. I found a large cow like creature on the top of a tall pillar of resources which was funny.
I know you can do it solo and as someone mentioned you have to do 3 or 4 jumps. I wonder though if you actually have to do something in each system or can you just jump>look around>jump>look around and the get the recipe and then go to the Space Station....or at least that's how I thought it worked. I know they say some anomaly pops up and you go there. I doubt I can find my old wrecked site but I may try and just do it that way.

The funniest creatures by far I've seen is...no joking...Living jumping life size Mushrooms....literally Mushroomies.....a little smaller than one of those Alien round cylinder you get a new word. One was I guess a male or something with either a crown or spiked hair(?)....but they jumped around to move....just hilarious.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.