Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Bloodborne - PS4 (Sony Japan + From + Miyazaki)

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Bloodborne - PS4 (Sony Japan + From + Miyazaki)

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-15, 04:06 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 120 Likes on 108 Posts
Re: Bloodborne - PS4 (Sony Japan + From + Miyazaki)

We got our first taste of the Forbidden Woods today and it about drove us all away from the game. Two pretty much played several hours between it and first Chalice Dungeon. The best they could do is up to "Snakeman" and that was it.

I faired better and frankly was surprised I lasted as long as I did making past the Town area, "Cannonball Express", most of the "Snake Area"...left the Big One alone....only to end up face-to-face with some small "Blue Boys", a weird lake, followed by "Porky Pig" but eventually taken down by two "Snakeman" and their little friends......

I had no clue where I was, how close to the next lantern or which way to go....just the fact this place is huge. I came across two elevators...one in the building where "Snakeman" was and the other inside a large opening that appears to go to the top of the hill/mountain. Neither could be opened or engaged. This is a long, long journey to the next lantern....was I even close?
Old 04-14-15, 04:27 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 85 Likes on 62 Posts

It's been a while since I was there so I can't help much with the elevators/lanterns, but I can tell you The Forbidden Woods can in fact suck a bag of dicks. But you already knew that...

When you were by the pigs and weird lake, you were close to the boss. First time I got to that point there were a ton of messages on the ground saying I should summon help here, so I did. Got through on the first try, but, believe me, I was more in the way than anything. The guy I summoned did the vast majority of the work.
Old 04-14-15, 06:10 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Yea...I believe the three of us will go thru and tackle this one since it's so long. I had to look up the deal with the elevators especially the one in the house. But I was just really getting twisted around and treading real careful. I didn't really have any problems in the snake area except for getting overwhelmed but The Snake at the end...didn't want no part of that one.....and we did find the way back to the Clinic...just haven't done that one either.
Old 04-14-15, 09:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

Honestly if you are having that big of an issue, id recommend leveling up first. The enemies in the forbidden woods weren't tremendously difficult aside from the beginning, just a little cheap. Have you already taken out the Witch of Hemwick? (The ones covered in eyeballs with the blind minions). I finished her section before forbidden woods to gain a few levels.

Also once you're done, those pigs give you about 2500 blood echoes a piece (I think)
Old 04-14-15, 10:08 PM
gamer for life

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I am having serious withdrawals from this game...I have tried to start 3 different games and they just seem so basic and average. I can't motivate myself to play anything. I was going to start Evil Within, but it is just sitting in my ps4.

The last time I did this was after Demon's Souls...
Old 04-14-15, 10:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts

Play Dark Souls 2 on the PS4.
Old 04-15-15, 06:44 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Well three us decided enough was enough and went thru the Forbidden Woods to the Boss last night...what a wild ride. This game is not for those with high blood pressure for a fact....

We basically took "everything" out....including the Snake Pit Area....with only the secret area left. First time we saw The Boss(es)...we were caught off guard completely. As much as I like my Holy Blade, it was The Axe with it's long reach (R2) that we used to constantly keep them stunned and downed that saved us. One got killed early on and somehow two of us finished it up....nerves fried, more gray hair, heart pounding and almost exhausted...I don't recall any game ever that has wrecked my emotions both physically and emotionally like this one.

I do have a question about the "Arcane Type Gems"....the damage they provide is on top of the normal Phys, Blunt and Thrust damage thru the other gems correct? We unlocked +6 and some of the Gems have Fire, Bolt and one has Arcane....which I assume allow use of Fire or Bolt Paper?

Also we were talking about when to use either "Bolt or Fire" on enemies. I thought Fire was gret against Beast Types...like Wolfman and Hounds. But what about Bolt against Townsfolk, other creatures, snakes, etc....
Old 04-15-15, 09:52 AM
gamer for life

Originally Posted by K&AJones

I do have a question about the "Arcane Type Gems"....the damage they provide is on top of the normal Phys, Blunt and Thrust damage thru the other gems correct? We unlocked +6 and some of the Gems have Fire, Bolt and one has Arcane....which I assume allow use of Fire or Bolt Paper?
if you put on arcane type gems, it takes the place of any physical bonus...you could actually lower the damage of your weapon. You will see this when you apply the gem. Only use arcane gems if you have 3 really good ones of the same type, and you have a weapon that scales really well of arcane...for the most part it is not worth it unless you invest early and often into arcane, and even then you need to almost be on new game plus before you can get good gems...

also...honest trailers..but it does have spoilers...

https://youtu.be/gLsc-U8b4E8
Old 04-15-15, 09:59 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Thank you Mr Fox...so pretty much go with Phys. Blunt and Thrust damage (Holy Blade & Axe) and just use the Fire & Bolt paper when needed.

And just what is "Rally Bonus" when you load a gem? We couldn't really figure that one out nor the HP +2. Is that like Health +2 per second or just when you use that weapon, per hit, etc....
Old 04-15-15, 10:33 AM
gamer for life

hp+ is health regeneration...

rally bonus is the amount of hp you can recover after being hit... having more makes it easier to get your hp back after taking damage.
Old 04-16-15, 01:35 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Thank you again.....

Not a bad day so far....I took out Darkbeast Paarl and went back to get Djura....who was still a PITA. Did the first Level of the second Chalice Dungeon and these are getting weird.

I was thinking of getting the Pistol or repeater but at this stage I wonder if it's really worth it....about 90% done with The Forbidden Woods and around Level 51. I haven't put a single point into Bloodtinge....still at (9) and not a single Blood Shard in the Blunderbuss. We were talking about the Pistols and even Ludwig's Rifle. Any thoughts on these or others?
Old 04-16-15, 04:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I used the repeating pistol for a bit, but didn't like the added ammo cost. I leveled up the standard pistol to +5, and mostly used it. It's primarily for the parry / riposte, so I didn't rank it any further. I did work on the bloodtinge stat later, but only because it compliments dex / skill for the Chikage.
Old 04-17-15, 09:32 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

AS$HOLE INVADERS!!!

There are a couple of us and sometimes even a 4th-5th that we do co-op in...sort of help clear a area and Boss. I mean we're not all "Dark Souls" vet to begin with a different type of game so a little help goes a long way. The problem is not the enemies as much as some clown invading when we're trying to concentrate on killing and finding stuff.

Last night during my run (ROM), we had one and he was hard headed to take us both on which we dispatched. When my friend did theirs they had already dies 2-3 times, running low on Insight to begin with when one invaded. This one saw us, just wave and approached "peacefully"...even just walked around us not doing anything. We ignored them and made our way to the top floor where the ladder is in the corner.

She went first and I started to but thought I saw something in the corner against the wall so I went over to check it, She made it to the top thinking I was right behind her and was about to take the Bell Witch when this A-Hole came out again and unloaded on me with a Threaded Cane just constantly. I couldn't move, heal or nothing backed in a corner. I said he's attacking me and about that time a Brain Sucker jumped on her when she attacked the Bell Witch and both went after her. I just tried to run, heal but he just kept on me and ran into a Brain Sucker: I died, she died and ended the night not even saying word or nothing....

The game has been fun but I don't recall one that has on more occasions tested our patience with each other and last night might have broke the straw. She's already ticked because due to her old TV and converter box, she cannot read the code to her Chalice Dungeon and call for help. On top of that she has burned a lot of Insight....I have no idea where or how but according to her she has very little left including Madman's Knowledge.
Old 04-19-15, 03:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 236 Likes on 169 Posts

Trying again for second time to fight the Shadow of Yharnam. Any advice? I have the Charred Hunter attire to help to protect from fire. Weapon best againt them? Is it better I have someone to summon to help me?
Old 04-19-15, 03:36 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 85 Likes on 62 Posts

Finally beat this today. Just in time, too, because I was ready to be done. Even though this is by far my favorite game of this generation hands down, I think I was at the point of having too much of a good thing. A second play through or completing any more of the chalice dungeons are pretty much out of the question.

I was only invaded twice - won once, lost once - and I invaded one time and lost that one too. PvP in these games isn't for me.

I want to say that after Shadow of Yharnam (which I only managed to beat with someone I summoned), the remainder of the bosses were actually pretty easy. Maybe I'm forgetting one here or there, but once you figure out their pattern or the right place to stand, things got so much easier.

In the end, it turned out to be a ridiculously fun game, but I'm all Souls'd out for a while.
Old 04-19-15, 04:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by dom56
Trying again for second time to fight the Shadow of Yharnam. Any advice? I have the Charred Hunter attire to help to protect from fire. Weapon best againt them? Is it better I have someone to summon to help me?
Is that the three guys? I think I used a 1 handed axe and just ran around in a circle, killing the one shooting fireballs, and then changing up the strategy a bit to finish the other two. But they all get stronger when 1 gets to low life.
Old 04-19-15, 05:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by K&AJones
AS$HOLE INVADERS!!!
People suck.
Old 04-19-15, 06:10 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

I just got this game and not a single word in this page makes sense. I am so looking forward to playing this.

My friend bought it for me so he would have someone to talk about it with.
Old 04-19-15, 08:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by RichC2
Is that the three guys? I think I used a 1 handed axe and just ran around in a circle, killing the one shooting fireballs, and then changing up the strategy a bit to finish the other two. But they all get stronger when 1 gets to low life.
Yeah, it was those three. I went in with my Ludwig Holy Blade fast sword and apply bolt paper and managed to beat them.

I had a friend helping in the next area with those annoying bughead guys and he was a great help. We defeated Rom the spider boss in a second. Sent me a message asking to summon him again if I needed any help. I definetly will.
Old 04-19-15, 09:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by The Bus
I just got this game and not a single word in this page makes sense. I am so looking forward to playing this.

My friend bought it for me so he would have someone to talk about it with.
Welcome to hell.

Best advice I can give you on starting the game is choose a class you like. I went with Lone Survivor, it's pretty much a good class for beginning. Also take your time and don't rush into bunch of enemies at the same time, you will likely get killed if you do. Take them out one of the time. Level up when you have enough blood echoes and level up your weapon you like to use.

Last edited by dom56; 04-20-15 at 11:00 AM.
Old 04-20-15, 07:58 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by dom56
Yeah, it was those three. I went in with my Ludwig Holy Blade fast sword and apply bolt paper and managed to beat them.

I had a friend helping in the next area with those annoying bughead guys and he was a great help. We defeated Rom the spider boss in a second. Sent me a message asking to summon him again if I needed any help. I definetly will.

Great....and good that you found someone willing to give a helping hand. The Shadow Guys gave us fits the first time around when we helped a friend. When one helped me, she got killed with all three alive but one down at 50% and another at 30% so I had to deal with them solo. I used the Long Axe with Fire Paper. Two will pretty much just constantly stay together while the one stays in the middle if you just do a big circle. I'd take the two down with the Power Swing and then go and whack the third to keep all their health close. After I killed the two the 3rd one was only able to summon once and I then killed him....it was a frantic run to say the least.

ROM...it took us four times to get to him. After I figured out the Ice pattern it was a bit easier. I just completed the Chapel part where I was sent....those Townsfolk and Witches are no joke....
Old 04-20-15, 08:07 AM
DVD Talk Hero

That part reminded me of Simon's Quest, suddenly the sky is different, the enemies are harder and respawn, and it's an all around terrible night to have a curse.
Old 04-20-15, 08:44 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 217 Likes on 130 Posts

Do the camera/controls get better as you go on? I tinkered with it for an hour or so over the weekend and it seemed like any time I did a roll dodge, it forced either my character or the enemy off the screen. I'm hoping it's just because the areas at the start seem fairly confined, but I really didn't feel like I had good control over what my character was doing. I never played the Souls games and really like the idea of them, but was a bit underwhelmed with starting out in Bloodbourne. I have limited gaming time these days, so I'm not sure if I'm better off pushing through on this or switching to something like Alien Isolation or Dragon's Age Inquisition.
Old 04-20-15, 08:47 AM
DVD Talk Hero

The beginning of the game (Especially the Cleric Beast area) is oddly confining with the camera, that mostly fixes as you progress but it is pretty noticeable at first.

Just be sure you're locking on to enemies.
Old 04-20-15, 08:56 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

A little behind the rest of you but.... Father G is no more. Caved in and summoned my buddy to help out. We demolished him in short order. Then, he helped me open up some gates and explore the next area (Cathedral?). After he left, I ran into the next favorite guy here on the forum.... Machine Gun Kelly. Took a few tries of moving and hiding from cover to cover but I made it up the ladder where he utterly destroyed me. I'll have to read up again on how some of you got him to jump off the ledge.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.