Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

The Witcher 3 - May 19, 2015 - PS4, XBO, PC

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-15, 02:33 PM
gamer for life

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Re: The Witcher 3 - May 19, 2015 - PS4, XBO, PC

so early reviews have been amazing I see....
Old 05-13-15, 08:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Funny review from the same dude who did the Bloodborne one...had to share:

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/jqVtISdEEDo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 05-13-15, 10:44 PM
gamer for life

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

This has been such a great start to this year for games. This looks amazing, Bloodborne was amazing...Neverwinter has been amazing....Batman has a good chance to be amazing. What a wonderful time to be a gamer....
Old 05-14-15, 12:04 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts

Amazon has the digital download version for $53.99

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...d_i=6427814011

I have the disc version pre-ordered..wish the price would drop on that too!
Old 05-14-15, 12:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 625 Likes on 482 Posts

There was a rumor a while back that CD Projekt Red wants to make movies based on The Witcher universe. I say let them.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/1-l29HlKkXU?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited by RocShemp; 05-14-15 at 12:14 PM.
Old 05-14-15, 01:42 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Debating whether or not I'm going to get this. I played through the first game about 6 years ago and only remember bits and pieces of the story and how it ended. I didn't play the second one because I bought it on PC and hated the controls....it played no where near the original game and was designed more to be played with a controller, so I shelved it. After seeing gameplay video for Wild Hunt it looks amazing and with the great reviews its getting it's got me tempted to buy it but I'm concerned I'll be lost with the story, not having played 2. If I get it, it will be on PS4 because I anticipate the controls will once again be designed around using a controller.

So does anyone have any suggestions? You think I would need to go back and play Assassins of Kings in order to enjoy this game?
Old 05-14-15, 02:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Setzer
Debating whether or not I'm going to get this. I played through the first game about 6 years ago and only remember bits and pieces of the story and how it ended. I didn't play the second one because I bought it on PC and hated the controls....it played no where near the original game and was designed more to be played with a controller, so I shelved it. After seeing gameplay video for Wild Hunt it looks amazing and with the great reviews its getting it's got me tempted to buy it but I'm concerned I'll be lost with the story, not having played 2. If I get it, it will be on PS4 because I anticipate the controls will once again be designed around using a controller.

So does anyone have any suggestions? You think I would need to go back and play Assassins of Kings in order to enjoy this game?
I believe the Polygon review writer briefly mentioned that newcomers wouldn't be too lost at all. Maybe have to look a few names up here and there but nothing that should dissuade you from playing the game.

I'm in that boat too, I've never played either of the previous two games and am completely new to the franchise. I was concerned as well but it sounds like it should be minor.
Old 05-14-15, 03:19 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 213 Likes on 186 Posts

The Witcher 3 Frame Rate Issues to Be Addressed in Day One Patch

"Framerate will be better once we official launch the game," said CD Projekt RED Community Manager Marcin Momot, in response to a question from a fan on Twitter. The patch will roll out across all platforms, and according to the developer will also include "overall performance improvements".

This will include fixes for texture loading, and the patch will automatically be applied upon launching the game.

http://www.xboxachievements.com/news...One-Patch.html
Old 05-14-15, 05:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

So the first day patch rumors were true. Color me surprised, since this game was delayed in order to avoid launch day issues. Then again, it's not as if The Witcher 2 wasn't updated numerous times.
Old 05-15-15, 06:52 AM
DVD Talk Hero

The collector's edition box is huge.

Spoiler:
Unless you get it from Gamestop, where they already opened the box and have the contents in a drawer, with the game disc in a paper sleeve.

Spoiler:
Actually, that was just a display box.

Old 05-15-15, 06:54 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by RocShemp
So the first day patch rumors were true. Color me surprised, since this game was delayed in order to avoid launch day issues. Then again, it's not as if The Witcher 2 wasn't updated numerous times.
what's the problem with a day-1 patch? a hell of a lot better than a day-45 patch, like Assasins Creed.

10% off pre-orders from PSN, not sure until when. it downloads immediately and will be playable at 4pm on Monday.
Old 05-15-15, 08:19 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 444 Likes on 311 Posts

The conspiracy theorist in me thinks that maybe they throttled the frame rate on purpose just to keep people from playing early, leaked copies before the official release date.
Old 05-15-15, 08:26 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by slop101
The conspiracy theorist in me thinks that maybe they throttled the frame rate on purpose just to keep people from playing early, leaked copies before the official release date.
If that was their plan, given we already have wallthrough videos, they failed miserably:

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/xUcFjRzuDP0?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 05-15-15, 08:49 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I wonder if the day one patch is to also quietly address the complaints about the release version of the game having undergone a Graphical Downgrade.

I can't deny that I wondered about this when I saw the Rage & Steel demo. I had simply assumed that trailer was based on one of the console versions.

Last edited by RocShemp; 05-15-15 at 09:19 AM.
Old 05-15-15, 08:54 AM
DVD Talk Hero

This is interesting.

Green Man Gaming and CD Projekt Red in a public spat over sale of The Witcher 3 codes (update)

Online games retailer Green Man Gaming recently launched a sale on The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt. At 35 percent off, it was a significant discount over the list price of $59.99. But yesterday, CD Projekt Red's business development manager went to the game's official forums telling consumers not to buy codes from GMG, GameSpot reports. While the game has returned to full price, exactly what transpired between the two companies remains murky.

Rafal Jaki is a business development manager for CD Projekt Red, the studio behind The Witcher 3. When a thread on the Witcher forums posted about the GMG sale on May 5, he quickly joined the conversation asking fans "kindly... not to buy via GMG at this time. We had not sold them keys and don't know the origin of them."

Further down the thread, Jaki explained that whatever codes GMG was selling, they didn't come from CD Projekt Red.

"We control all digital and the codes," Jaki wrote "Because we decided not to sell keys to GMG, it came as a surprise that they are doing a special promo without buying keys from us. We have reached out to ask for the source of they keys, but up until now there has been no response."

So if the codes didn't come from CD Projekt, where did they come from?

GMG's CEO Paul Sulyok told GameSpot he got them from other authorized retailers that bought them directly from CD Projekt. The codes sold at the discounted price were legitimate Sulyok insists.

"Following a six-month dialogue with [CD Projekt Red]," Sulyok said, "about the launch of The Witcher 3, we were disappointed that despite the offer of significant cash advances, and other opportunities to officially work together, (we even offered to fly to Poland to discuss in detail how we could and wanted to support this launch), CDPR chose not to engage with a number of significant, reputable, and successful retailers, including ourselves, as they instead focused on supporting their own platform, GOG."

If the codes didn't come from CD Projekt, where did they come from?

GOG.com, also owned by CD Projekt's parent company and operating out of the same building in Warsaw as the Witcher studio, just this week unveiled its newest iteration, a storefront client with community features called GOG Galaxy. Clearly, by keeping the sales in the family, so to speak, CD Projekt can be assured of earning higher profits off each individual sale.

So was GMG just sticking a thumb in the eye of CD Projekt, selling The Witcher 3 at a loss out of spite? That's unlikely. Polygon's conversations with game code resellers, including authorized and so-called "gray market" resellers, tell us that the margins on these kinds of transactions are very small to begin with.

What's more likely is that GMG is purchasing game codes in other regions of the world, where they're sold for less than they are here in the West, and marking them up for Western buyers. On their website the publisher of the game is listed as Namco Bandai Games, which is a publishing partner of CD Projekt in some countries.

Where things get weird is in CD Projekt's statement to GameSpot yesterday, where they are reported to have said "none of the revenue from Green Man Gaming's current Witcher 3 promotion will go to GOG.com or CD Projekt Red."

It's not as if The Witcher 3 codes can just appear out of the ether. More likely, these out of region codes were denying CD Projekt Red the revenue it had hoped to gain from more affluent Western buyers.

It's a sordid situation, to be sure, and serves to shine a bright light on online software sales and the business realities that surround them. Polygon has reached out to both CD Projekt Red and Green Man Gaming for more clarification.

Update: We've received comment from Green Man Gaming about the ongoing issues with CD Projekt Red. Paul Sulyok, CEO of Green Man Gaming, said that his company remains in good standing with the publisher, which naturally calls into question the statements made on the official forums.

"Green Man Gaming (GMG) has an official contract with, and has been an approved retailer of, CD Projekt S.A. (CDPR) products since Aug. 11, 2011," Sulyok wrote to Polygon in an official statement. He went on to reiterate the efforts GMG went to, including negotiated cash advances and the offer to travel to Poland to discuss the matter in person, an offer which he said CD Projekt declined.

Sulyok stood by his rights as a retailer to serve his customers, and took issue with CD Projekt's statement on their official forums that they were not receiving revenue from GMG's sales.

"We at GMG sincerely believe in getting games to gamers, and offering them a range of buying options to suit their preferences is critically important to this industry," Sulyok said. "We often go above corporate profits and commercial gain to make this happen. We, like millions of customers, are huge fans of The Witcher series, and have been eager for the launch of this amazing title. We believe that CDPR’s desire to support their own platform by working with retail outlets that would not conflict with their own is greater than that of meeting the demands of their audience, therefore we made the decision to indirectly secure the product and deliver it to our customers. To do this, we reached out to third parties and retailers that were approved by CDPR, to legitimately pass these keys onto our customers. This means that at some point, revenue has been passed directly onto CDPR, and any additional discount on the title is absorbed by us, as we want as many people enjoying The Witcher 3 as possible."

Solyuk went on to say he looks forward to a "renewed dialogue" with CD Projekt, and apologized to consumers who missed out on their discount of The Witcher 3 last week while it ran.

"This was a spot promotion," Solyuk said, "similar to the many other spot promotions that we regularly run on AAA titles. We know that this promotion was particularly important to gamers as it gave them a greater choice as to where and how they bought this title. As this spot promotion came to an end. ... We were happy to see that other retailers have been matching our offer. This means gamers have even more choice, and we have succeeded in meeting their demands and preferences."
Old 05-15-15, 09:20 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by RocShemp
If that was their plan, given we already have wallthrough videos, they failed miserably:
I can't even begin to believe that was their plan. I mean, degradated quality sure has curbed piracy/leaks of movies right?
Old 05-15-15, 09:32 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by rocketsauce
I can't even begin to believe that was their plan. I mean, degradated quality sure has curbed piracy/leaks of movies right?
Exactly. I think the throttled frame rates on consoles were in an effort to maximize graphical output. They probably wanted them to look as close to their PC counterpart as possible and found that 60 fps had to be ditched to accomplish that goal.

And it's not like that's unheard of in the PC realm either. Just look at Mortal Kombat X on PC. Although the gameplay is at 60 fps, the menus, cinematics, X-ray sequences, and Fatalities are all capped at 30 fps.
Old 05-15-15, 09:37 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

Right? "Hey let's ship the product gimped, that way word will get that it has issues, that is excellent advertising!"
Old 05-15-15, 09:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts

Is this another Watch Dogs scenario?
Old 05-15-15, 10:14 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Reviewers have also been playing early, so I'm gonna go with no, the developers did not intentionally make the game perform worse for that time period.
Old 05-15-15, 10:39 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 444 Likes on 311 Posts

Some of the reviews, like Gametrailers, did say there were hiccups in the frame rate, especially in the bog section, but they also pointed out the upcoming patch.
Old 05-15-15, 10:59 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,200 Likes on 4,227 Posts

Originally Posted by slop101
Some of the reviews, like Gametrailers, did say there were hiccups in the frame rate, especially in the bog section,
That seems appropriate.
Old 05-15-15, 02:50 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,366 Likes on 928 Posts

just preordered w/ a $15 RZ BB certificate. I'm paying like $35 for it. worst case scenario, i hate it, and i wasted the certificate, since i figure i can sell it for what i paid. the reviews sold me.
Old 05-15-15, 05:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Although I am enjoying the score to this game, I hope Hans Zimmer was paid for his contributions.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/jTKOcx679BA?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/SJ0QbfcDVz4?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 05-15-15, 05:51 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 137 Likes on 106 Posts

Video Whore!

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.