Reload this Page >

Retron 5 - I need it NOW!!!!!

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Old 05-17-14, 09:20 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Retron 5 is almost here. I'm more excited for this thing than I have been for anything video game related in a long, long time.

In case anyone doesn't know what it is, its an all-in-one retro game machine that plays NES, Famicom, Gameboy, SNES, and Genesis. I know it was mentioned in an older thread about the Retron 3, but I figured this deserved its own thread since it supposedly will be released the end of May/early June.

Hyperkin's Retron 5

Video is output via HDMI so all the old games can be played on HDTV's without being a blurry mess. Every video I've seen of this thing in action look incredible. Playing GameBoy games on a 55" screen is gonna be wild. The Zelda video below is good example because it switches half way through to show the differences with the video filters on/off.

Contra (NES)
<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/zhIfRBkJN1A" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Super Mario Bros (NES)
<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/Bx6J-Xtps94" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Legend of Zelda: Link to the Past & Four Swords (GBA)
<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/O5EuAg9vKFg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

If this thing lives up to the hype, I think my PS4 will be collecting dust for quite a while. I have a collection of 400+ NES games that I'm dying to try out on this.
Old 05-17-14, 09:52 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts
Re: Retron 5 - I need it NOW!!!!!

It's been delayed for like a year.
Old 05-17-14, 10:01 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I know, but my understanding is it's officially a finished product now. I saw an interview with one of the Hyperkin reps at PAX east that said it's done but they need to iron out some shipping/customs related details, or some nonsense like that. Should be available any day now.

Last edited by 19K; 05-17-14 at 10:08 AM.
Old 05-17-14, 10:16 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by 19K View Post
I know, but my understanding is it's officially a finished product now. I saw an interview with one of the Hyperkin reps at PAX east that said it's done but they need to iron out some shipping/customs related details, or some nonsense like that. Should be available any day now.
They have been giving the "available in 30 days" every 30 days for months.

While some reviewers have it, there is no indication the general public will anytime soon. I've been waiting for it as well and following various threads.
Old 05-17-14, 10:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 124 Likes on 104 Posts

I'll definitely pick this up. I only have a handful of NES and SNES games but having the HDMI option is fantastic.
Old 05-17-14, 10:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 162 Likes on 110 Posts

I want one. I've got something that will play. NES, SNES and Genesis, but it kind of sucks. I'm interested in this just for the ability to save my game.
Old 05-17-14, 01:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

My friend who runs www.retrousb.com is coming out with an HDMI Nintendo, 4 controller ports. Will be a lot better quality than the Retron release, IMO. And will have a pretty good price tag on it as well. I'll post more details when I can about it.
Old 05-17-14, 04:07 PM
Banned by request

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Will it play games from multiple consoles, or just Nintendo?

I've been looking forward to the Retron 5 since it was first announced.
Old 05-17-14, 04:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Just Nintendo and Famicom actually...
Old 05-18-14, 09:51 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Quack View Post
My friend who runs www.retrousb.com is coming out with an HDMI Nintendo, 4 controller ports. Will be a lot better quality than the Retron release, IMO. And will have a pretty good price tag on it as well. I'll post more details when I can about it.
It's a bold claim to make when:

1 - This guy is your friend, so you're already biased

and

2 - The Retron was delayed because they found an internal part to actually be of BAD quality, so they had to go back and use a better quality part instead, hence the massive delay
Old 05-19-14, 09:59 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

That's why I said it was my opinion, so of course it would be biased.

Relax.
Old 05-19-14, 10:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Systems like these are just emulators in a box (and most likely not giving any credit to the emulator authors). If all you want is to play emulated games on a big screen, why not just set up your own box with something like Raspberry Pi. See http://lifehacker.com/how-to-turn-yo...sole-498561192 for an example.
Old 05-19-14, 10:23 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 475 Likes on 305 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeremy517 View Post
Systems like these are just emulators in a box (and most likely not giving any credit to the emulator authors). If all you want is to play emulated games on a big screen, why not just set up your own box with something like Raspberry Pi. See http://lifehacker.com/how-to-turn-yo...sole-498561192 for an example.
I've done just that but having an actual console you can plug games into is a) more satisfying and b) doesn't require you to download a bunch of ROMS off the internet. So that's why.
Old 05-19-14, 10:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Because cartridges are awesome.
Old 05-19-14, 10:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Just because you are using cartridges doesn't mean it isn't emulation. The Retron is just emulators running on Android.
Old 05-19-14, 10:47 AM

Just because you are using cartridges doesn't mean it isn't emulation. The Retron is just emulators running on Android.
That's why I'm so on the fence about the Retron 5. I have it pre-ordered from Amazon for $100, but I've considered getting a Raspberry Pi or Ouya instead. I don't have a ton of games that I could use on the Retron (about 100 between NES, Genesis and GB/GBC/GBA) and going with a Raspberry Pi/Ouya would allow me to use an emulator for other systems I own. I really need to figure out what the best choice is for me.
Old 05-19-14, 11:45 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 475 Likes on 305 Posts

Is there a difference between buying a vintage cartridge versus downloading ROMS off the internet?
Old 05-19-14, 11:58 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Draven View Post
Is there a difference between buying a vintage cartridge versus downloading ROMS off the internet?
Seriously. Just download an emulator.
Old 05-19-14, 12:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

http://www.retrousb.com/product_info...products_id=34

This is what I've been using, pretty cool, since you can fit the entire NES library, and then some hacks, prototypes, etc on it.
Old 05-19-14, 12:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

My statement was mainly directed towards the huge retro collectors community. Personally, I don't get the difference between emulation and the original copies but I have a lot of friends that literally won't touch emulators. These are also the insane people that spend $500 on a CIB copy of Little Samson or $800 for a copy of Earthbound with the scratch & sniff stickers.....so to each his own I suppose.
Old 05-19-14, 01:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Do you mean for a device like Retron, or just in general?
Old 05-19-14, 03:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 124 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by Quack View Post
http://www.retrousb.com/product_info...products_id=34

This is what I've been using, pretty cool, since you can fit the entire NES library, and then some hacks, prototypes, etc on it.
I like the idea but $135??? No thanks.
Old 05-19-14, 03:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Emulation typically isn't 100% accurate. I think Ars Technica covers it well here:

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2011/0...snes-emulator/

I've set up Hyperspin on a HTPC (crazy cool emulator front-end) but I don't use it enough to be worth it. Plus making sure the right controllers get assigned to the right Windows devices (I used authentic NES/SNES controllers with a usb adapter) is a giant PITA of making sure you plug in everything in the right order.

I personally want to be able to use real carts AND roms off an SD card. I'm not an accuracy freak, but I appreciate it.

I'm hoping once the Retron comes out it'll get rooted/hacked and I'll be able to use ROMs also. I'm up for an emulator system with real controller ports on it!
Old 05-19-14, 03:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 287 Likes on 153 Posts

If you're using one of these systems, there's really not any difference at all, other than not having to plug in a cartridge. The cartridge will only play better on original hardware, not on one of these.
Old 05-19-14, 03:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 236 Likes on 145 Posts

That's a pretty fascinating article.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.