Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Retron 5 - I need it NOW!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-14, 10:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,638 Likes on 1,025 Posts
Re: Retron 5 - I need it NOW!!!!!

I'm saying from a perspective of legality, where you're supposed to own the ROMS but no one actually does, I feel better plugging my actual copy of Street Fighter II for the SNES into this thing than downloading it off the Internet.

Maybe that's just me.
Old 05-20-14, 07:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 737 Likes on 364 Posts

Nobody cares about the ownership rights of gaming systems this old, because the original copyright owners aren't making any money on it anyway. It's why these consoles even exist in the first place.
Old 05-20-14, 07:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 381 Likes on 306 Posts

Originally Posted by Draven
I'm saying from a perspective of legality, where you're supposed to own the ROMS but no one actually does, I feel better plugging my actual copy of Street Fighter II for the SNES into this thing than downloading it off the Internet.

Maybe that's just me.
I could have swore that when we had a MAME thread you owned a MAME machine.

The prospect of playing old school games always sounds super appealing... but I never actually find the time to do it and when I do get a chance to game, I rarely opt for MAME.
Old 05-20-14, 07:37 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,638 Likes on 1,025 Posts

Originally Posted by Rob V
I could have swore that when we had a MAME thread you owned a MAME machine.

The prospect of playing old school games always sounds super appealing... but I never actually find the time to do it and when I do get a chance to game, I rarely opt for MAME.
I do (and said as much up above) but I still think it's better to actually own the cartridges.
Old 05-20-14, 10:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Draven

Maybe that's just me.
There are no moral issues with having ROMs for games for which own physical copies, so if you are concerned about morality issues, then only have ROMs for games that you actually own.

If you are concerned about copyright infringement, then you shouldn't want a Retron either, because those systems illegally distribute and/or modify emulators. Emulators are also protected by copyright laws.
Old 05-20-14, 11:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Does anybody really feel bad about owning ROMS they don't have a physical copy of? It's 2014... I certainly don't condone piracy but emulating a 30-40 year old game seems to be the least of the 10 Commandments a video game nerd can break.
Old 05-21-14, 06:09 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Rexxriot
That's why I'm so on the fence about the Retron 5. I have it pre-ordered from Amazon for $100, but I've considered getting a Raspberry Pi or Ouya instead. I don't have a ton of games that I could use on the Retron (about 100 between NES, Genesis and GB/GBC/GBA) and going with a Raspberry Pi/Ouya would allow me to use an emulator for other systems I own. I really need to figure out what the best choice is for me.
I honestly knew nothing about Ouya before this post so I started watching some videos of it on YouTube. It seemed like it would do a decent job as an emulator and I already had a shit ton of random ROMs that I downloaded for my PC years ago, so I figured what the hell. A Target near me had one left in stock and I went out and bought it last night.

First impressions... this thing is AWESOME!!! I wanted the Retron primarily for my NES collection, but the Ouya does so much more. From what I've seen the Ouya has emulators available for Atari, ColecoVision, Amiga, Commodore 64, MAME, NeoGeo, TurboGrafx16, NES, SNES, Gameboy, Genesis, etc, etc. It's like a retro gamers wet dream. Seriously, if you want to play old school games on your big screen TV with a crystal clear picture, this thing is the way to go. It has HDMI, Wi-Fi, Bluetooth wireless controllers... and it's literally smaller than a coffee cup so it's extremely portable. Seriously, the controller is bigger than the actual Ouya. It also has USB so if you already have the ROMs on an external drive or USB stick like me, you can just play them directly off that. I haven't tried it yet, but supposedly XBOX 360 and PS3 controllers also work with it.

Being a retro game emulator probably isn't what the Ouya was originally designed for, but it definitely excels at it. Granted I've only spent a few hours with it, but the thing is fantastic so far.

Last edited by 19K; 05-21-14 at 06:16 AM.
Old 05-21-14, 09:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

^^ I've been eyeing the Ouya just for this... you've sold me on it.
Old 05-22-14, 01:25 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Old 05-22-14, 08:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts

Square edge controller?
Old 05-22-14, 08:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 243 Likes on 178 Posts

Starts shipping today according to IGN.
Old 05-25-14, 11:41 PM

Originally Posted by 19K
I honestly knew nothing about Ouya before this post so I started watching some videos of it on YouTube. It seemed like it would do a decent job as an emulator and I already had a shit ton of random ROMs that I downloaded for my PC years ago, so I figured what the hell. A Target near me had one left in stock and I went out and bought it last night.

First impressions... this thing is AWESOME!!! I wanted the Retron primarily for my NES collection, but the Ouya does so much more. From what I've seen the Ouya has emulators available for Atari, ColecoVision, Amiga, Commodore 64, MAME, NeoGeo, TurboGrafx16, NES, SNES, Gameboy, Genesis, etc, etc. It's like a retro gamers wet dream. Seriously, if you want to play old school games on your big screen TV with a crystal clear picture, this thing is the way to go. It has HDMI, Wi-Fi, Bluetooth wireless controllers... and it's literally smaller than a coffee cup so it's extremely portable. Seriously, the controller is bigger than the actual Ouya. It also has USB so if you already have the ROMs on an external drive or USB stick like me, you can just play them directly off that. I haven't tried it yet, but supposedly XBOX 360 and PS3 controllers also work with it.

Being a retro game emulator probably isn't what the Ouya was originally designed for, but it definitely excels at it. Granted I've only spent a few hours with it, but the thing is fantastic so far.
Glad I could help. I finally decided to to pick one up this weekend. The Ouya is currently $75 at Amazon and $75.99 at Target.com. I decided to do instore pick up at Target since the redcard would make it cheaper than Amazon plus I would have it sooner. I've only played around with it a little, but it does seem very cool.
Old 06-13-14, 09:02 AM

I received my Retron 5 yesterday and so far I am really happy with it. I haven't had any issues with any cartridges I've tried to play. Some people have complained that it puts a tight grip on carts but it seems to loosen up after some use (lol, just like my... oh, never mind). I like how it saves where you left off if you switch cartridges and picks up right where you left off when you play the game again. The controller is adequate, although I like d-pads better for games like Street Fighter II.
Old 06-13-14, 09:56 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Where did you get it and how much was it?

Amazon doesn't seem to be selling it directly at the moment.
Old 06-13-14, 10:03 AM

Originally Posted by dan30oly
Where did you get it and how much was it?

Amazon doesn't seem to be selling it directly at the moment.
I preordered it last year on Amazon for $99.99 plus tax. I had to wait a little longer to get it because I got the black one.
Old 06-13-14, 10:20 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by loneranger
I preordered it last year on Amazon for $99.99 plus tax. I had to wait a little longer to get it because I got the black one.
Yeah, and sets seem to be going for $200-$250 now. I would gladly pay $100 but foolish me didn't pre-order one (since I always made a habit of NOT pre-ordering consoles). I've seen the Ouya at Target as well (and have a redcard), thought about it...but dunno.
Old 06-13-14, 10:26 AM

Originally Posted by Kedrix
Yeah, and sets seem to be going for $200-$250 now. I would gladly pay $100 but foolish me didn't pre-order one (since I always made a habit of NOT pre-ordering consoles). I've seen the Ouya at Target as well (and have a redcard), thought about it...but dunno.
I usually preorder every console on Amazon since they don't charge you until it ships and decide later if I actually want it. I did that with the PS4 and Xbox One and kept the PS4 and cancelled the Xbox (but bought one a few months later).
Old 06-13-14, 11:08 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm waiting to see if we get root / CFW for it. Would like to be able to run ROMs as well as real carts.
Old 06-13-14, 11:32 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 310 Likes on 212 Posts

For emulation in my home theater, I went the Raspberry Pi route and am very happy with it. I put RetroPie on it and have a usb wireless adapter for my Wii Classic Controller (original, not the Pro) to play NES and SNES games. I also play Atari 2600 games on it and have a 2600-daptor to use my real Atari controllers. It did take a little googling and tinkering to get it all set up to my liking, but it was well worth it.
Old 06-13-14, 12:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I've run Hyperspin on my HTPC but Windows doesn't have a good way to lock USB devices to the appropriate slots - thus you have to plug in controllers in the same order every time (I like to use authentic controllers for the appropriate system with USB adapters).

I like the real ports on the Retron 5 and the real cartridge ports. Just want to also be able to play ROMs and translated games and such.
Old 06-15-14, 11:56 AM

Originally Posted by Kedrix
Yeah, and sets seem to be going for $200-$250 now.
The people wanting to charge that much can just go and fuck right off.

The most I'll pay for the thing is about $130 and that's only if I have more assurances about it playing all the games properly.
Old 06-15-14, 09:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I ordered from Amazon at the $99 price on April 13th. Still no word on shipping.
Old 06-15-14, 11:35 PM
gamer for life

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I am not going to lie...after watching the ign video I want this....bad...
Old 06-16-14, 09:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Bump...
Old 06-17-14, 12:00 AM

So much want....

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.