DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Video Game Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk-15/)
-   -   Anybody here play Clash of Clans? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk/619943-anybody-here-play-clash-clans.html)

The Infidel 05-08-14 09:45 PM

Anybody here play Clash of Clans?

Just curious.

wlj 05-08-14 09:53 PM

Re: Anybody here play Clash of Clans?

I used to but I stopped. The timers got too crazy. 3 days to upgrade a cannon?

The Infidel 05-08-14 10:15 PM

Tell me about it. Except I'm far enough along I'm in the middle of an 8-day wait for my level 2 hog riders, and when I'm ready for my level 9 town hall...10 days. Insane. Still love the game, though. :)

fumanstan 05-08-14 10:30 PM

I stopped with my town hall around level 6 or 7 I think. It got too tedious for me trying to get resources and having to attack or getting attacked.

The Infidel 05-08-14 10:35 PM

There's definitely a strategy to not only get ahead in the game, but to keep yourself interested enough to play, in general. Plus, I'm heading a clan with 20+ people, so I have that to monitor, as well.

I guess I should have asked, does anybody STILL play CoC? :lol:

JTH182 05-09-14 12:52 AM

I play. I'm a level 8 town hall, and find it hard to earn resources quick enough since everything is so damn expensive now. The clan wars have definitely made things more interesting though.

The Infidel 05-09-14 01:51 AM

Are you in a clan? If not, want to join mine? If you're a TH8, we could use a little extra muscle for the next war. We've done three so far, and we're 3-0.

mattysemo247 05-09-14 07:42 AM

Originally Posted by fumanstan (Post 12101488)
I stopped with my town hall around level 6 or 7 I think. It got too tedious for me trying to get resources and having to attack or getting attacked.

I had that same problem trying to get my town hall up to level 7. I finally had to leave my phone plugged in for a couple hours on the lowest dim settings and tapping the screen every few minutes to keep it active so they couldn't attack me. After a couple hours of battles and not getting attacked, I finally had enough. I built my base up enough now where my defense wins most of the time, or they take down my town hall to get the win but only get 1k of gold.

But, yeah, the time between building sucks and that's how I forgot about the game most of the time. Anything I upgrade now is a minimum of a 1 day wait. And I am not about to spend a penny on this game.

I thought that would be the better question though. Has anyone actually spent any real money in this game?

timewaster 05-09-14 08:56 AM

i got up to around level 7 townhall.
it started to get really boring and annoying.
everyone keeps attacking you so you never have enough cash to upgrade.

starseed1981 05-09-14 09:07 AM

I'm at a level 7 Town Hall right now. It's getting incredibly boring waiting 3 to 4 days for everything to update.

wlj 05-09-14 09:40 AM

it sounds like everyone is stopping around level 7 town hall. Wasn't that like 1 week to build? The timers are too long, and I forget to play basically. I can't seem to keep up enough to ward off the level of attackers I get. The game was alot of fun at the beginning. I was pretty addicted to it. I even spent $5.00 to get another builder because i was playing so much. I may take a look at it a couple of times a week where as i used to look at it a couple of times an hour.

mattysemo247 05-09-14 10:00 AM

Yeah, as long as you can get in the habit of attacking a couple times once your shield is down, and then rebuild your army and keep attacking until you get attacked again, the money situation should be fairly even and you might even get ahead depending on how many attacks you can get in before getting attacked again. One thing I would suggest is maxing out your gold mine and elixir collector and then max out your defense, especially the wizard towers.

wlj 05-09-14 10:11 AM

Here is one of the things that drives me crazy:

you send 50 archers on an attack....only 25 die. however you can't use the 25 that didn't die in the next battle.

mattysemo247 05-09-14 11:13 AM

Yeah, I never understood that as well.

davidh777 05-09-14 11:31 AM

Playing Kingdoms of Camelot made me realize I like the building aspect, but not the invading/defending. So I think I'll steer clear of this one.

The Infidel 05-09-14 06:51 PM

Originally Posted by wlj (Post 12101808)
Here is one of the things that drives me crazy:

you send 50 archers on an attack....only 25 die. however you can't use the 25 that didn't die in the next battle.

A lot of people have that same complaint. Regardless of whether you utilize them or not, if they don't die, they should go back to your base camp to use again.

fumanstan 05-10-14 12:11 AM

Originally Posted by wlj (Post 12101778)
it sounds like everyone is stopping around level 7 town hall. Wasn't that like 1 week to build? The timers are too long, and I forget to play basically. I can't seem to keep up enough to ward off the level of attackers I get. The game was alot of fun at the beginning. I was pretty addicted to it. I even spent $5.00 to get another builder because i was playing so much. I may take a look at it a couple of times a week where as i used to look at it a couple of times an hour.

Pretty much the same for me, I loved it early on and was pretty addicted to it. I was close to buying another builder with real money also, but managed to hold off. By the time I hit TH7, everything seemed to take 3-4 days and it required too much time attacking to maintain enough resources to upgrade new things without attacking regularly.

I know a lot of people purposely lost matches to lower their ranking purposely.

The Infidel 05-10-14 12:39 AM

That's actually pretty common practice. It's easy to acquire too many trophies while attacking, and all of a sudden you're attacking people who are just a little above your capabilities. So, you go out and intentionally lose a few to knock yourself back down. It's a balance, but you have to know where to draw the line, because if you let yourself get knocked down too far, you can easily beat people, but the loot sucks.

mattysemo247 05-12-14 07:41 AM

Originally Posted by The Infidel (Post 12102587)
That's actually pretty common practice. It's easy to acquire too many trophies while attacking, and all of a sudden you're attacking people who are just a little above your capabilities. So, you go out and intentionally lose a few to knock yourself back down. It's a balance, but you have to know where to draw the line, because if you let yourself get knocked down too far, you can easily beat people, but the loot sucks.

So if I don't attack between raids, will that make my trophies go down?

The Infidel 05-13-14 03:18 AM

Only if you get attacked by someone else and lose.

JTH182 05-13-14 03:40 AM

Originally Posted by The Infidel (Post 12101591)
Are you in a clan? If not, want to join mine? If you're a TH8, we could use a little extra muscle for the next war. We've done three so far, and we're 3-0.

Yeah, I'm already in a clan. Thanks for the offer though :)

JTH182 05-13-14 03:51 AM

Originally Posted by The Infidel (Post 12102587)

Farming is a good strategy to use to lose the least amount of loot while being attacked. I used to leave my town hall at the bottom corner of the map with every bomb, spring trap, and hidden tesla I had surrounding it. Leave just enough space between the TH and the outer grass of the map to fit your Giant Bombs. Fill in the rest of the spaces with your single square defenses. The top corner of your TH should be right up to your walls so the enemy can only spawn in a small area.

This strategy would take out 100s of troops before they even get close to my storages, and I would only lose about 8 trophies while getting a 12 hour shield.

This was before Clan Wars though, where farming is a bad idea.

mattysemo247 09-17-14 07:53 AM

I'm pretty much stuck. I have my town hall to level 9, but it costs 4,000,000 gold to get to level 10. Every time I get attacked, I lose between 200,000 to 300,000 gold, so I can't save enough between attacks to level up. I guess I'll focus on building up my defenses for now. My wizards are level 3, mortars are level 5, archers are level 8, cannons are level 9, hidden teslas are level 1, and my barbarian king is a level 4. I also have level 3 & 4 bombs and giant bombs scattered around and my walls are level 6. I also just started building my first x-bow. What should I focus on upgrading the most? Any ideas?

wlj 09-17-14 08:02 AM

i will give you kudos for lasting as long as you have. I stopped at level 7 due to the long wait times. I can't imagine how long they are at level 9. A new town hall probably takes 2 weeks :lol:

mattysemo247 09-17-14 08:09 AM

That's actually what I like about the game. I only touch it a couple times a day, and usually only for a few mins each time. I can't stand playing for long periods of time on my phone. Between the battery drain and the small screen, it's not really my thing. So to be able to start building something and then coming back in a couple days is right up my alley.

But yeah, I think my last town hall took something like 12 days to build :lol:

Having 3 builders helps with that though. And I've been playing since January and haven't spent a dime on this game.

Ketamine 09-17-14 08:23 AM

Matty,

Your problem is you are upgrading your TH too quickly. You shouldn't even think about going to the next TH until you max out all of your defenses.

ivelostr2 09-17-14 08:31 AM

yeah, i went to town hall 9 and regretted it.
The higher you make town hall, the lower the percentage of loot you get on raids. Try to upgrade all of you defenses before going any further.
I've been playing since May and I haven't spent a penny either, but I've been in clans where the kids all spend $$ and try to get you to too...it blows my mind.

mattysemo247 09-17-14 08:43 AM

Well shit, I guess I'll just focus on maxing out all my defenses then. Thanks.

I still haven't touched any of the clan stuff yet. Is it worth checking out? I get invites all of the time, but I figured you have to be a pretty involved player or the people in your clan would get pissed off.

Ketamine 09-17-14 08:54 AM

Clan Wars are a blast, especially if you in a clan with friends. You as an underpowered TH9 would drag down your clan though in a war. You need to work towards 5 builders and spend all your time keeping your troop research going and max out your defenses.

And yes, it is crazy how much people spend on this game. Supercell makes millions a day on people spending money on CoC. There is a guy in my clan that spent over a $1000 so far. All it does is hurt you as you need to slowly progress in the game to really understand it. If you spend all the way to TH 9 or 10, then you are missing out on a lot.

FYI for those that stopped playing. Supercell continues to update the game and add new troops, spells, etc and rumor has it that there is a TH 11 coming in Nov or Dec. They just release a new dark troop yesterday Lava Hound. I love this game.

wlj 09-17-14 08:59 AM

Anyone try Boom Beach? That is by supercell as well right? very similar to clash of clans?

The Infidel 09-17-14 09:00 AM

I completely forgot I started this thread!

Since posting last time, I had to stop my clan from doing wars for a while. We were starting to lose every time, participation was definitely starting to slack, and those who were participating weren't doing very good attacks. I told everyone we were going to regroup, work on our villages and attack strategies, and if they wanted to war more often, they would probably need to join another clan, no hard feelings. A lot of people did leave, and after a while I opened the clan back up to anyone can join and lowered the trophy requirement. A lot more people have joined, and naturally we weeded out the bad ones and kept a lot of good ones, and we're doing wars again now, but just one every weekend.

It actually wasn't even my intention to start the wars again when we did, but one of my very few co-leaders apparently wanted to start one without my consent, and I demoted him to elder. He came in eventually and said it was an accident, but I didn't buy that, since there are too many steps required to start a war, and the clan search can be cancelled immediately after you start it, if it actually was an accident.

But, we won that war, by a wide enough margin that I decided to go ahead and have one war per weekend to test and see how everyone performs and participates.

One theory presented to me about why we were starting to lose so much last time is that we had too many high level people in our clan, and we were getting matched up with clans that were too much for us. I don't know that that's necessarily true, but it was an interesting thought. Anyway, we're 18-5-1, so I guess I can't complain too much.

ivelostr2 09-17-14 09:32 AM

Originally Posted by wlj (Post 12237556)
Anyone try Boom Beach? That is by supercell as well right? very similar to clash of clans?

I play boom beach, it is less social but I like it. You have to scheme a little more on attacks and you can control where they attack to some extent. Im at the point now where upgrading is taking days, so I check in a couple times a day, and make sure my builder is working...you only have a single builder though, so it takes even longer to upgrade everything.

starseed1981 09-17-14 10:14 AM

My clan just won our 50th war. And man, I should've focused on defenses rather than walls. I keep getting hit with nothing but hogs and dragons every time. Luckily I stopped with purple walls.

The Infidel 09-17-14 10:28 AM

Same here. Upgraded my TH so I could start doing level 6 troops, but I've been getting spanked on defense left and right. I'm still working on maxing out my weaponry before I even think about going past the purple walls.

Ketamine 09-17-14 10:46 AM

TH 8-9 dark crystal good enough. Mid- high level attacks on clan war are typically hogs and/or dragons so need to max air defense and splash damage defense plus put bombs near guns.

Will be interested to see how lava hounds change attacks.

starseed1981 09-17-14 10:55 AM

Yeah, Lava Hounds are a real game changer if they work as described.

Ketamine 09-17-14 03:52 PM

Those of you having issues losing so much loot, put your TH outside your base. There will be plenty of trophy hunters that come through that only take your TH. The downside is you will lose some trophies (typically not a huge deal) but the upside is you get a 12 hour shield. That way you will only lose a little bit of loot and be protected from the next guy that would come in and wipe you out. I personally don't put bombs and teslas around the base. The reason is I want them to take my TH for the shield and if they trip my bombs, then I have to pay to re-arm them. Some do place bombs and teslas around TH outside base with the thought that they will waste a bunch of troops taking TH so they too weak to attack the rest of your base. My experience is though that if they want your loot, they skip TH so I would rather have my bombs and teslas defending my main base with all the loot.

My 2 cents.

starseed1981 09-18-14 08:57 AM

Originally Posted by Ketamine (Post 12238019)
Those of you having issues losing so much loot, put your TH outside your base. There will be plenty of trophy hunters that come through that only take your TH. The downside is you will lose some trophies (typically not a huge deal) but the upside is you get a 12 hour shield. That way you will only lose a little bit of loot and be protected from the next guy that would come in and wipe you out. I personally don't put bombs and teslas around the base. The reason is I want them to take my TH for the shield and if they trip my bombs, then I have to pay to re-arm them. Some do place bombs and teslas around TH outside base with the thought that they will waste a bunch of troops taking TH so they too weak to attack the rest of your base. My experience is though that if they want your loot, they skip TH so I would rather have my bombs and teslas defending my main base with all the loot.

My 2 cents.

Yeah, that's the typical farming base model. The thing you have to be careful of though is people like me.......I see plenty of guys past TH7 doing this who have farm bases with elixir / gold mines outside their walls. I have no problem at all launching 218 goblins to raid resources then leave two barbarians in the corner to take out the base for the star.

Ketamine 09-18-14 10:36 AM

Originally Posted by starseed1981 (Post 12238613)
Yeah, that's the typical farming base model. The thing you have to be careful of though is people like me.......I see plenty of guys past TH7 doing this who have farm bases with elixir / gold mines outside their walls. I have no problem at all launching 218 goblins to raid resources then leave two barbarians in the corner to take out the base for the star.

That's fine though. I want you to get that star by taking my town hall so I can get a shield. Your goblins will get some of my resourses, but not enough that I care. What I dont want is those guys that crash my walls, get into my dark elixer for 1000+ and then only get 39% of my base and avoid my town hall so I get no shield. I want you to give me a shield and only take from the collectors I have on the outside. That is a win for me in my book. Go ahead and take your trophies, some reasources, and your "win" bonus. I will trade that for a shield any day.

starseed1981 09-18-14 10:45 AM

Originally Posted by Ketamine (Post 12238726)
That's fine though. I want you to get that star by taking my town hall so I can get a shield. Your goblins will get some of my resourses, but not enough that I care. What I dont want is those guys that crash my walls, get into my dark elixer for 1000+ and then only get 39% of my base and avoid my town hall so I get no shield. I want you to give me a shield and only take from the collectors I have on the outside. That is a win for me in my book. Go ahead and take your trophies, some reasources, and your "win" bonus. I will trade that for a shield any day.

Oh definitely. I only hit guys who have at least 150K gold / 150K elixir hanging outside their base. And yeah, once you get past TH7 dark elixir is the real prize. For awhile there my farm base kept getting all these attacks of giants / bombers and goblins cause I positioned my dark elixir so poorly. Had I known better my king would probably be level 10 by now.