DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Video Game Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk-15/)
-   -   Anybody here play Clash of Clans? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk/619943-anybody-here-play-clash-clans.html)

mattysemo247 09-18-14 10:47 AM

Re: Anybody here play Clash of Clans?

Yeah, I have my TH outside my walls too. That seems to be working about half of the time.

JTH182 09-19-14 03:49 AM

This is what I'm going with right now:

For size

I know it's counter-intuitive to have all my bombs and two Teslas around my TH when I want it to be destroyed anyway so I get a shield, but there's something so satisfying about seeing someone have to use all their troops just to do it, lol!

When I have that much loot I do run into people at higher levels than me coming in and decimating me, which sucks. I guess I could try to lose those trophies to get moved to a lower league if I really wanted.

The Infidel 09-19-14 07:33 AM

Originally Posted by Ketamine (Post 12238726)
What I dont want is those guys that crash my walls, get into my dark elixer for 1000+ and then only get 39% of my base and avoid my town hall so I get no shield.

That was exactly my problem, except I was getting the full hit on me. I had so many resources and nothing to use them on because all my builders were busy that it didn't matter my TH was on the outside. I was consistently getting clobbered for about 300K of each resource, and 1400 of my DE...EVERY TIME! Even if they didn't get the full 100% victory and all my gold and elixir, they were always going after that DE. It took me forever to save up 30K so I could upgrade my hogs to level 3.

Ketamine 09-19-14 08:22 AM

Originally Posted by The Infidel (Post 12239808)
That was exactly my problem, except I was getting the full hit on me. I had so many resources and nothing to use them on because all my builders were busy that it didn't matter my TH was on the outside. I was consistently getting clobbered for about 300K of each resource, and 1400 of my DE...EVERY TIME! Even if they didn't get the full 100% victory and all my gold and elixir, they were always going after that DE. It took me forever to save up 30K so I could upgrade my hogs to level 3.

Which goes back to the idea that you need to max your defenses before going to the next town hall. I can imagine you were getting hit all the time as you had a ton of resources with weak defense. Not much you can do now that the cat is out of the bag except focus your resources to maxing out your defenses and ride shields when you can.

Ketamine 09-19-14 08:34 AM

Originally Posted by JTH182 (Post 12239775)
This is what I'm going with right now:

For size

I know it's counter-intuitive to have all my bombs and two Teslas around my TH when I want it to be destroyed anyway so I get a shield, but there's something so satisfying about seeing someone have to use all their troops just to do it, lol!

When I have that much loot I do run into people at higher levels than me coming in and decimating me, which sucks. I guess I could try to lose those trophies to get moved to a lower league if I really wanted.

Are most of the attacks against you coming from the North?

ivelostr2 09-19-14 12:00 PM

Mine cone from the west always

JTH182 09-19-14 03:18 PM

Originally Posted by Ketamine (Post 12239846)
Are most of the attacks against you coming from the North?

They rarely come from the north, which is why I removed my traps. Most come from the west, with others from the south or east.

I wish this game had heat maps of past attacks.

Ketamine 09-20-14 06:25 AM

Originally Posted by JTH182 (Post 12240380)
They rarely come from the north, which is why I removed my traps. Most come from the west, with others from the south or east.

I wish this game had heat maps of past attacks.

Interesting. I think I would attack you from the north, but I guess others see something I don't.

ivelostr2 09-20-14 07:37 AM

Originally Posted by Ketamine (Post 12240929)
Interesting. I think I would attack you from the north, but I guess others see something I don't.

I'm not sure the general population even looks. West and south are close to their thumbs and that is where most of the attacks come from

JTH182 09-20-14 08:46 AM

Originally Posted by Ketamine (Post 12240929)

Remember, you're seeing what I see, not the attackers. They could think I have my bombs, traps, and teslas up there. They also tend to come from the west because they see the TH and DE storage as easy targets. You should see how many attacks against me start out slow and then end up using hundreds of barbs, archers, 20 giants, a hero or 2, and 3 spells just to get 7 trophies!

Originally Posted by ivelostr2 (Post 12240950)
I'm not sure the general population even looks. West and south are close to their thumbs and that is where most of the attacks come from

Yep, I think there's some sub-conscious thing in this game where people tend to attack from the south way more than north.

Ketamine 09-23-14 11:50 AM

Originally Posted by JTH182 (Post 12240980)
Remember, you're seeing what I see, not the attackers. They could think I have my bombs, traps, and teslas up there. They also tend to come from the west because they see the TH and DE storage as easy targets. You should see how many attacks against me start out slow and then end up using hundreds of barbs, archers, 20 giants, a hero or 2, and 3 spells just to get 7 trophies!

True, though it looks to me like you have spaces on each side of your base that could hold bombs and teslas so it a crap shoot. The biggest thing I was seeing was 4 collectors up top plus an elixir and gold storage near outside. Figured people would think they could at least score by hitting there without too much in their way.

JTH182 09-23-14 05:36 PM

I can only tell you what the evidence supports, lol. I still think the TH and DE are too much for people to pass up, along with a general lack of northern attacks. Once they're in for about 50 troops, their pride takes over and they keep putting down more until they get my TH.

story 09-23-14 09:48 PM

I don't play Clash of Clans but The Simpsons: Tapped Out has an event going on right now through October 7 that is a really good satire of Clash of Clans. From the little I know of CoC / those types of games, I find it funny, well done. Would be curious what real CoC players think of it.

starseed1981 09-24-14 09:38 AM

Originally Posted by story (Post 12245409)
I don't play Clash of Clans but The Simpsons: Tapped Out has an event going on right now through October 7 that is a really good satire of Clash of Clans. From the little I know of CoC / those types of games, I find it funny, well done. Would be curious what real CoC players think of it.

I like it alot. It makes quite a bit of sense when you think of it. But you should play Clash as well. It's awesome.

Ketamine 09-24-14 10:54 AM

Originally Posted by JTH182 (Post 12245122)
I can only tell you what the evidence supports, lol. I still think the TH and DE are too much for people to pass up, along with a general lack of northern attacks. Once they're in for about 50 troops, their pride takes over and they keep putting down more until they get my TH.

I believe you. I was just surprised more didn't come from the north. Some people in my clan have their TH outside surrounded by teslas so I have seen many times what you are saying, people dumping 200 troops just to get TH. It's funny to watch.

starseed1981 09-24-14 10:59 AM

I used to fall for that all the time. Talk about demoralizing lol.

wlj 09-24-14 11:36 AM

ha, reading this thread made me want to play this again. i played alot on my android, but I have iPhone now. I am starting from scratch, but that is ok, I have more knowledge and I won't waste gems like I did last time.

mattysemo247 09-24-14 02:03 PM

Originally Posted by wlj (Post 12245862)
ha, reading this thread made me want to play this again. i played alot on my android, but I have iPhone now. I am starting from scratch, but that is ok, I have more knowledge and I won't waste gems like I did last time.

Why does that matter? I have my game synced with my Galaxy S4 and my iPad.

wlj 09-24-14 02:48 PM

Originally Posted by mattysemo247 (Post 12246008)
Why does that matter? I have my game synced with my Galaxy S4 and my iPad.

hmmmm. didn't know you could do that. unfortunately i sold my android phone a while ago that i was using with it.

JTH182 09-24-14 11:46 PM

Well I've been jinxed! My last 3 defenses have all been catastrophic! I'm being attacked by guys with a higher TH and in a higher league than me. It doesn't even seem fair.

JTH182 10-01-14 06:59 PM

1 step forward, 2 steps back in this game... I was up over 34k dark elixir, just about ready to upgrade my king when I got attacked twice in a row by guys in higher levels and leagues than me. I'm now at 31,000. What a pain. They need to fix how attacking works again.

mattysemo247 10-01-14 07:19 PM

I still can't save up enough to update my defenses before getting attacked and losing more than I was making during the 12hr shield. At this point, I'm just upgrading my wall so I use money before losing it.

JTH182 10-01-14 07:55 PM

That's probably what I should do. I'm saving all three right now, so when I get attacked they get 200k gold, 200k elixir, 1800 DE. That's just way too tempting for people to pass up.

The Infidel 10-01-14 09:11 PM

Same here, only I can't even keep my resources low enough for people to not attack me. They STILL come in and take what they can, even when I have almost nothing. I'm about done with this game. I don't even have the time or inclination anymore to keep up with it, let alone attempt to progress. With the waiting time and expense to upgrade things, it's too much of a temptation to spend real money to buy gems to get it done quicker, which I realized a long time ago defeats the purpose of playing the game.

davidh777 10-03-14 01:17 PM

I'm still resisting playing this game. I was playing Kingdoms of Camelot for a while and then The Hobbit version, but I got too annoyed by getting invaded all the time, especially by people who I suspected were spending money to upgrade their forces.

Clearly people are spending a ton of money on this if they advertise on network TV.

EduardR 03-08-15 04:00 PM

Originally Posted by mattysemo247 (Post 12237495)
That's actually what I like about the game. I only touch it a couple times a day, and usually only for a few mins each time. I can't stand playing for long periods of time on my phone. Between the battery drain and the small screen, it's not really my thing. So to be able to start building something and then coming back in a couple days is right up my alley.

But yeah, I think my last town hall took something like 12 days to build :lol:

Having 3 builders helps with that though. And I've been playing since January and haven't spent a dime on this game.

You can find useful tips about playing the game on lots of sites

flashburn 03-08-15 05:06 PM

Didn't know there was a Clash thread here. I'm in a really great Clan and we have about 35 members, and if anyone wants to join, let me know. We war 2-3 times a week, and we usually do pretty well.

Deftones 03-08-15 05:30 PM

Originally Posted by flashburn (Post 12416805)
Didn't know there was a Clash thread here. I'm in a really great Clan and we have about 35 members, and if anyone wants to join, let me know. We war 2-3 times a week, and we usually do pretty well.

I signed up a couple weeks ago. Shoot me the info.

flashburn 03-08-15 05:41 PM

Originally Posted by Deftones (Post 12416823)
I signed up a couple weeks ago. Shoot me the info.

PM sent.

mattysemo247 03-09-15 07:46 AM

Originally Posted by flashburn (Post 12416805)

I've never done any of the clan stuff. I'll give it a shot as long as it's not too difficult.

This is the only mobile game I'm still playing a year later. Maxed out my town hall and just built my first inferno tower. It took a bit, but the best strategy I've found is to stack up on gems and then buy a week long shield. That always seemed to give me enough time to build funds without worrying about getting attacked in between.

starseed1981 03-09-15 08:52 AM

The clan stuff is actually the reason to keep playing the game. My clan "Sick" is at 86 war wins.

Just hit TH9 myself. I don't know how the heck I'm gonna pull off these $5 Million + upgrades. This one is gonna take awhile.

flashburn 03-09-15 03:03 PM

Originally Posted by mattysemo247 (Post 12417154)
I've never done any of the clan stuff. I'll give it a shot as long as it's not too difficult.

This is the only mobile game I'm still playing a year later. Maxed out my town hall and just built my first inferno tower. It took a bit, but the best strategy I've found is to stack up on gems and then buy a week long shield. That always seemed to give me enough time to build funds without worrying about getting attacked in between.

One tip on designing a good war base, never double wall. Wall breakers will hit both of them, since they have splash damage. Also don't bother protecting resources in a war base, they don't actually take your resources, they are "free". Compartmentalizing is the best general strategy for designing a base.

If you're interested, you can look up base designs at: http://clashofclansbuilder.com/highest

Just select your TH level and the base type.

mattysemo247 03-09-15 04:13 PM

Yeah, I just copied my existing base. I didn't even think about the town hall just sitting outside the walls until one of the guys said something since I didn't really know how the whole thing worked :lol:

I'll mess around with it more later on once I have more time and can see what others are doing.

flashburn 03-09-15 04:35 PM

That's cool, no big deal if you don't want to try to have the best possible layout you can, we aren't super critical about war base design. I think the only rule is that your TH needs to be in the center-ish well protected.

If anyone else wants to join, just send me a PM.

JTH182 03-10-15 06:33 AM

I'm still playing. Just made it to Master II with a TH9.

The thing I hate now is that it's almost impossible for me to find a base to attack that's worth it. Either they give me TH10's that would destroy me in seconds, or they give me villages I can destroy, but would only get me 20,000 loot and 13 trophies.

When I get attacked, on the other hand, they can take tons of loot and lots of trophies. Oh, and they're usually from Asia when they do. Idk why that pisses me off so much! :mad:

Also, the revenge system needs work. I hate that it's just a crapshoot if the person is online or has a shield. There should be a way to tell without hitting the button.

flashburn 03-10-15 08:11 AM

I never bother with trophy's, it seems pointless except for the bonus for making it to Crystal. Like you said, once you get up high, it becomes impossible to find good farming targets. You really should think about dropping down to Silver.

JTH182 03-10-15 04:56 PM

Originally Posted by flashburn (Post 12418431)
I never bother with trophy's, it seems pointless except for the bonus for making it to Crystal. Like you said, once you get up high, it becomes impossible to find good farming targets. You really should think about dropping down to Silver.

Well I do like the victory bonus (120,000 loot), but if I would be getting 300,000 by attacking from silver instead of the 100,000 I usually find in master (plus how much gold I waste by nexting) then maybe it's worth it to start tanking.

flashburn 03-10-15 06:57 PM

Hey Matt, for war attacks here are some tips that hopefully should help (and anyone else new to wars).

1. Unless a strategy doesn't require you to, it's always a good idea to pull out the war castle troops first. I usually do this by dropping a giant, so that it gets all of the troops out of the castle, and then you can pull them out further by waiting for the giant to die, and then drop some archers one at a time, to pull them away from everything. Then drop a bunch of archers/wiz around them to kill them. Alternative is a lightning spell.
2. Look up GoWiPe and GoWiWi strategy's on youtube. These are highly effective and a lot of fun.
3. Always use your best troops, this usually means no archers/barbs or only a few for clan castle cleanup.
4. Watch other's attacks.
5. Try to plan your attack on a target ahead of time (feel free to call out a target in chat).
5. Practice, practice, practice! Just wait after a few wars, you'll be whooping ass.

For defense, you want all your defensive structures behind walls, and generally things like collectors, and storage outside of walls. Sometimes Storage is good as a wall itself, since it has a lot of HP. Also like I mentioned before, compartmentalize your base as much as possible.

starseed1981 03-12-15 11:02 AM

My village is local to my iPad but I’m unable to sync it to my Gamecenter account. I’ve tried every solution found online (make a new Gamecenter account, launch the game through a new Gamecenter account, etc.) and cannot get it to sync. I’ve been going through the rounds with Supercell customer service agents (through the app) politely and respectfully to fix this and they keep sending me in circles with the same replies. This has been ongoing for about 4-5 months now. My iPad has begun to die on me and if I cannot transfer the village somehow I’ll just have to retire from the game. Has anyone else ran into this issue and gotten a resolution?

Ketamine 10-31-15 03:02 PM

TH 11 plus new defense and hero coming in the next few days...