Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

PC Gaming Thread

Old 05-14-21, 10:03 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts
Re: PC Gaming Thread

My GTX 980 seems to be dying. Not a good time to need a new graphics card!
Old 05-14-21, 10:19 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts

Nabbed a Nvidia RTX 3060 at Microcenter on my first trip there. Got there about an hour before they opened... was like 30 people ahead of me in line and some of them said they had been there over 15 hours. By the time they opened the doors there was probably another 20 people in line behind me. Got pretty lucky that cards were left by the time it was my turn. My step brother went with me and he also got a 3060.

My current rig:
  • CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core
  • CPU Cooler: Cooler Master MasterLiquid ML240L V2 RGB 62 CFM Liquid
  • MOBO: Gigabyte B550M DS3H Micro ATX AM4
  • RAM: Crucial Ballistix 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16
  • OS Drive: Crucial P5 500 GB M.2-2280 NVME SSD
  • GPU: MSI GeForce RTX 3060 12 GB VENTUS 2X OC
  • Case: BitFenix Nova Mesh SE ATX Mid Tower
  • PSU: Gigabyte P GM 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX

I installed the leaked Nvidia driver that unlocks mining potential since Nvidia decided to lock it to half it's ability. So between gaming, I let the mining roll. Currently with ETH up as high as it is, even a single 3060 can average over $10 a day. Figure I can make the GPU pay for itself at this rate in about 45 days.
Old 05-14-21, 10:24 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 302 Likes on 231 Posts

It's ridiculous that there's still a shortage of those.
Old 05-14-21, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 50 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by RichC2 View Post
Agreed. I've just accepted that it'll be 2022 before I can get one of these. I'm tired of trying with Best Buy and New Egg - it's just not worth the hassle to just strike out over and over.
Old 05-14-21, 03:04 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 199 Likes on 151 Posts

Not really. Like the poster above you discussed once people started using them for mining that destroyed any chance of them being readily available for normal people.
Old 05-14-21, 03:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 251 Likes on 183 Posts

It's not the mining, it's just the semiconductor shortage. You can't buy a PS5 or Switch right now either. 2080's were easy to get even though they were heavily used in mining rigs.
Old 05-14-21, 04:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

ASIC sort of killed the demand for GPUs in crypto - I am curious if Etherium and a slew of others are still planning to sunset mining in the near future.

Old 05-14-21, 04:26 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Noonan View Post
It's not the mining, it's just the semiconductor shortage. You can't buy a PS5 or Switch right now either. 2080's were easy to get even though they were heavily used in mining rigs.
Even the automobile industry can't produce cars due to the shortage. They have parking lots full of vehicles that are ready to go but lacking the computer chips.
Old 05-14-21, 06:51 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

ASIC sort of killed the demand for GPUs in crypto - I am curious if Etherium and a slew of others are still planning to sunset mining in the near future.
There is a hell of demand for RTX 3000s from miners. Enough that Nvidia is nerfing the Ethereum hash rate for cards coming out in May. Even after Ethereum makes itís changes in July miners will just switch to another coin.

Old 05-18-21, 10:23 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I actually got a RTX 3070 last week from EVGA. I joined their waiting list last September and got an email offering me a card last Tuesday. Card was delivered Friday. I wasn't expecting to get one until the end of the year, but I was lucky.
Old 05-22-21, 07:51 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Epic is running another one of their game sales with the never ending $10 off $14.99 coupon (reusable).

NBA2k21 is currently free.

https://www.epicgames.com/store/en-U...ials/mega-sale

Some deals after coupon:
Death Stranding: $13.99
Kingdom Hearts III: $30.99
Kingdom Hearts 1.5 + 2.5: $23.49
Outriders: $34.99
Pillars of Eternity Definitive: $9.99
Red Dead Redemption II: $30.19
Disco Elysium Final Cut: $19.99
Watch Dogs: Legion: $19.99
Immortals Fenyx Rising: $19.99
Tetris Effect (+ VR): $16.79
THPS 1+2: $15.99
GTA V Premium: $6.49
Old 05-25-21, 10:02 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I ended up buying a used EVGA gtx 1070 for $400 locally yesterday. I hate having to over pay, but I like having a computer that doesn't crash whenever I try to play a game.
Old 05-25-21, 10:29 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Yikes, I didn't realize just how stupid the pricing was on all this lately if a 1070 is setting you back that much.

If anyone doesn't mind parsing out and re-selling part of a bundle, Antonline has been selling kits lately (one of the PS5 Restock accounts I follows posts them (@mattswider))

Last edited by RichC2; 05-25-21 at 10:37 AM.
Old 05-25-21, 10:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 251 Likes on 183 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveNinja View Post
I ended up buying a used EVGA gtx 1070 for $400 locally yesterday. I hate having to over pay, but I like having a computer that doesn't crash whenever I try to play a game.
You mean a 3070?
Old 05-25-21, 11:13 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 79 Likes on 53 Posts

Damn, I have a 1070 sitting around that I've been too lazy to sell. Guess I better get on that.
Old 05-25-21, 02:38 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Yeah, it is nuts. Really bad time for my 980 to die. It like $300 for a 1060, $400 for a 1070, $500 for a 1070ti, $600+ for a 1080. 3060s are usually at least twice MSRP.
The kits and premades with the 30series usually don't ship for a a few months
Old 06-11-21, 07:30 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 45 Likes on 38 Posts

Hello All

Tomorrow I plan on watching the MS and Bethesda Joint Show with a lot of interest...for two reasons...to hear and see MS Plans for expanding the Game Pass, ways and means like incorporating...XB into TV's and also Bethesda's Plans on future games being exclusive to XB and PC since I'm a Fallout and Elder Scrolls Fan....so right now getting a PS5 has been put on the back-burner while getting more involved in PC Gaming has moved to the front...

What is the current situation regarding the Video Cards as I know they're somewhat in the same boat as XBox Series X and PS5 with chip shortages and the fact Video Card Prices have shoot up dramatically. Yet I see on sites...like my favorite Cyberpower...one can still order PC Systems with various cards of all flavors from Nvidia to AMD...I just cannot make heads and tails of which is which, good, bad, so-so. too overpriced, Best Bang for Buck....

Second....has anyone used a TV or Projector as a Monitor and if so how is the performance compared to a PC monitor? I have a Sony Projector but it's 1080P max, can hook up but presently don't have any PC Games on our system to demo and look at at not just visual but response and all. And are there good solid sets that could be used for both Console and PC?

personally...I think MS is actually in a good position and far better than Sony which is a shame...but they not only have a console but the PC market to fall back on which is probably booming and more accessible than trying to land a XB or PS5 at the moment and probably for a long time...plus with PC they can have XBox Pass, Steam, Epic...looks like a no brainer....
Old 06-11-21, 08:02 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

It's not tomorrow, it's Sunday.
The following users liked this post:
K&AJones (06-11-21)
Old 06-11-21, 08:16 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by K&AJones View Post
Hello All

Tomorrow I plan on watching the MS and Bethesda Joint Show with a lot of interest...for two reasons...to hear and see MS Plans for expanding the Game Pass, ways and means like incorporating...XB into TV's and also Bethesda's Plans on future games being exclusive to XB and PC since I'm a Fallout and Elder Scrolls Fan....so right now getting a PS5 has been put on the back-burner while getting more involved in PC Gaming has moved to the front...

What is the current situation regarding the Video Cards as I know they're somewhat in the same boat as XBox Series X and PS5 with chip shortages and the fact Video Card Prices have shoot up dramatically. Yet I see on sites...like my favorite Cyberpower...one can still order PC Systems with various cards of all flavors from Nvidia to AMD...I just cannot make heads and tails of which is which, good, bad, so-so. too overpriced, Best Bang for Buck....

Second....has anyone used a TV or Projector as a Monitor and if so how is the performance compared to a PC monitor? I have a Sony Projector but it's 1080P max, can hook up but presently don't have any PC Games on our system to demo and look at at not just visual but response and all. And are there good solid sets that could be used for both Console and PC?

personally...I think MS is actually in a good position and far better than Sony which is a shame...but they not only have a console but the PC market to fall back on which is probably booming and more accessible than trying to land a XB or PS5 at the moment and probably for a long time...plus with PC they can have XBox Pass, Steam, Epic...looks like a no brainer....
It's like anything else, exclusives make or break the systems for me. Right now the PS5 is ahead slightly, but some of those Bethesda titles are definitely big gets (sadly, I haven't been interested in their two biggest franchises in decades). It's been great seeing exclusives from both platforms making their way to PC, and PC gaming in general seems to have grown steadily over the last decade (and jumped like 27% last year due to COVID)

I currently have a gaming desktop setup through my projector, using a Logitech wireless keyboard (w/ touchpad) and Xbox One gamepads (w/ dongle), if you have any specific questions feel free to ask (I also have a USB C adapter for my USB 3.0 ports so I can use my Oculus Quest 2 with it, though I usually just go wireless with it anymore). I feel like the current "sweet spot" is the RTX 3060 Ti, which sells for $399.99 when available. I currently have a 2070 Super which I'm really happy with, this is a step up. It's still very hard to get these cards, but following somebody on Twitter like @mattswider makes it much easier to snag one (turn on notifications/alerts) - there was a huge BestBuy sale yesterday with both RTX cards and Xbox Series X systems available for a good while and there are places that ship out bundles - both routes are usually pretty fast. Or just order a pre-made, and they'll get it all squared away (albeit, it normally comes with a 6 week wait).

I always find notebookcheck's card comparisons pretty good: https://bit.ly/3xfKB2M (If for some reason it switches back, be sure "Show only Desktop GPUS" is selected.)

Edit: And while it gets its fair share of criticism, Steam Big Picture Mode is fantastic (for the most part) when using your PC as a game console on a TV.

Last edited by RichC2; 06-11-21 at 09:07 AM.
The following users liked this post:
K&AJones (06-11-21)
Old 06-12-21, 08:24 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Control is free on Epic Game Store until the 17th.