DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Video Game Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk-15/)
-   -   Warframe (PC, PS4, XB1) - Ninjas Play Free (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk/615288-warframe-pc-ps4-xb1-ninjas-play-free.html)

chess 02-11-14 02:00 PM

re: Warframe (PC, PS4, XB1) - Ninjas Play Free

I haven't tweaked Vauban enough, and mine is a very basic build, but I think my six mods will probably end up:

Rage
Quick Thinking
Streamline
Continuity
Stretch
Constitution, if you view Vortex as a crowd control tool rather than an offensive weapon, as I do (this is where he differs from Frost)

Constitution is better than Flow, because Duration is really just another form of Efficiency in his case, and it's better than Focus because his abilities are offensively kind of weak.

If you don't have Rage/Quick Thinking, I'd probably run Redirection and Flow.

K&AJones 02-11-14 04:16 PM

Yea...I don't have either Rage or Quick Thinking and have both Flow and Redirection in the mix. I have...

Vortex & Bastille
Energy Siphon- Aura
Streamline - +30%
Constitution - +40% Knockdown and +28% Duration
Continuity - +30%
Narrow Minded - +63% Duration and -42% Range
Flow - +125% Power
Stretch - +22.5%

I guess with Vauban there are two approaches...one for max Duration with some range and efficiency. The other I've seen is for max efficiency with some duration and range. The theory in it is better to have say two smaller Bastille than one large one...you can get double the enemies. Also better to spawn more vortex than have fewer going longer. And yes I view it more of crowd control...excellent for choke points, clearing a path or when you get over-run. Vauban overall is mainly defense if you look at him right which is fine with me.

And in case you don't get enough Warframe....

https://warframe.com/news/warframe-ninja-gear

K&AJones 02-13-14 04:29 PM

Everything ok with everyone....got on last night and didn't see Chess or Sith. Figured the weather was a factor especially seeing the amount of people without electricity.

chess 02-14-14 06:47 AM

All good here. Haven't even considered going outside, as discussed, and power is good to go.

Congrats on getting Burston Prime. That is a really fun gun.

K&AJones 02-14-14 08:14 AM

That was funny...he gets in and we get it in no time. I've been looking for that (not as much as the Bronco) for a long time and Wham...there it is with one run in ODS.

I'm home today...decided to take a day off but won't be on tonight..except for Knack.

Yea...I'm reading the wiki on the Burston Prime and It'll be a good addition and something a bit different than the Soma, Synapse and Penta which are pretty much my go-to rotation. Something I did see on the wiki that caught my attention....

Its higher Status Chance makes the gun more likely to deal Elemental procs than usual. The chance to proc at least once in one burst is about 38.6%.
Can claim to have better ammo efficiency than the Soma or Synapse, due to its burst fire nature.

If I see you later I might see if you want to do some Orokin Cell runs. I'm not really hurting but the (10) for the Burston will take not quite half of my count but will drop me to around (12).

chess 02-18-14 08:02 AM

Burston Prime is amazing. It's not as raw powerful as Soma, but I like using it more. That 38% number sounds low to me. Between the event mod and Hammer Shot increasing the status %, and Split Chamber turning bursts into an average of about 5 rounds, it feels to me like just about every burst procs something.

Barely caught the Orokin Reactor invasion yesterday. Put my current spare potato on Ember Prime and forma'd her for E-Siphon. Still not crazy about her, but the other options were worse. I guess maybe Ash will be next. Might be interesting to see how he functions with some duration. Still continuing to save a potato for Zephyr, just in case she's good.

Passed my rank 13 test and am now just helping other people out and ranking up random weapons. Need that update.

K&AJones 02-18-14 01:18 PM

Well last night a decent milestone...I finished two more planets and now just have five to complete...Sedna, Eris, Neptune, Ceres and Pluto. Pluto is the least visited and need to open up more. Just a few needed on two planets to finish them out.

I've grown a bit on the Burston Prime. Need just two more to slap another forma on it. Finished getting Loki all the way up and now will go back and see what other frame(s) I need to workon.

Haven't finished Trinity yet (no potato on her)
May add one more Forma to Vauban (I really like him)
Been awhile with Nekros but not sure what to do with him.
Really would like to get the Ember Prime Helmet
Really would like to get Saryn's parts...only have one.

chess 02-18-14 02:47 PM

Originally Posted by K&AJones (Post 12016425)
Well last night a decent milestone...I finished two more planets and now just have five to complete...Sedna, Eris, Neptune, Ceres and Pluto. Pluto is the least visited and need to open up more. Just a few needed on two planets to finish them out.

I've grown a bit on the Burston Prime. Need just two more to slap another forma on it. Finished getting Loki all the way up and now will go back and see what other frame(s) I need to workon.

Haven't finished Trinity yet (no potato on her)
May add one more Forma to Vauban (I really like him)
Been awhile with Nekros but not sure what to do with him.
Really would like to get the Ember Prime Helmet
Really would like to get Saryn's parts...only have one.

Nice! Burston Prime is well worth a few forma.

Trinity is pretty decent.
Vauban is awesome.
Nekros is good.

All 3 scale to higher level enemies.

Ember and Saryn are mostly terrible at high levels.

K&AJones 02-20-14 06:51 AM

took a night off last night. Just tired and got more into the book, Lone Survivor. I got at the chapter where the actual firefight started and read for 3hrs straight...wow.

I'll get on when I get home tonight but not sure for how long. We're expecting some really severe storms around 7-8 with tornado & wind warnings with heavy rain.

chess 02-20-14 08:34 AM

No worries.

I ran T1 survivals most of the evening trying to help get "Reaped" a Mag Prime BP, which is supposed to be a common drop. He did 3 40-50 minute runs with me and one with Sith and didn't get it, and just before he had to get off we decided to run one last 15-20 minute run, and he got two. Go figure. I always say Mag Prime is one of the easier frames in the game to farm up, but it didn't seem that way last night!

After that, I took his brother "Reaper" on an "every third node" run though some planets to open them up, farmed him up a set of Loki parts, and taxi'd him to the alert for the Essence Loki helmet.

So I'm basically getting my enjoyment out of the game just from helping other people.

Speaking of...what happened to Wizard?

tlwizard 02-20-14 01:04 PM

I'm here but my family's been in town. So I've only been able to sign on for the daily reward and then two nights ago was able to play for a couple hours. Still need to trade you back that energy siphon. I also scored a rifle amp, if you'd like me to trade that back to you as well.

I figured out what you meant by gaming the chatbox to get invites to the void and stuff. Still don't totally understand where I went, but did a T3 defense, a T1 exterminate, and derelict survival mission. I tried to keep the survival mission going longer than the first 5 minutes but everyone bailed on me. It amazes me to see players who have tons of powerful stuff, I assume have been playing for a long time, but they don't understand the a good basic strategy for the survival missions.

But I'm hoping to be back on in an official capacity in the next few days.

chess 02-20-14 02:39 PM

Cool stuff, and it's a great way to make credits.

I wonder whether the guys in the survival were trying to get a specific reward drop and got it early.

No worries on Rifle Amp, and I'm not in a hurry to get e-siphon back either. Just the next time I happen to catch you on.

chess 02-24-14 08:26 AM

Was good to catch you online Wiz.

The vault runs hopefully got you some useful mods. IIRC, you ended up with Narrow Minded, Overextended and a few others along with the Corrupt Charge I gave you, so not a bad haul. I posted where I use the Corrupt Mods a bit back, so I'll see if I can find and quote it for you.

Originally Posted by chess (Post 12008422)
Speaking of Corrupted Mods, my take is that they are almost custom made for specific frames and weapons, and at least half of the 16 are close to useless.

The popular ones:
  • Fleeting Expertise (+ Efficiency, - Duration): Good for any frame that doesn't rely too much on Duration (Rhino, Nova, Mag)
  • Heavy Caliber (+ Damage, - Accuracy): Good on flame throwers and rocket/grenade launchers. I hate this on rifles
  • Blind Rage (+ Power, - Efficiency): [Edit] I currently use this on Rhino and Nova at rank 5 and offset it with both max Fleeting and max Streamline
  • Narrow Minded (+ Duration, - Range): Good at mid levels on frames that don't need range (Volt, Trinity) and/or that can use Overextended (Loki, Nyx)
  • Overextended (+ Range, - Power): Good for frames that don't rely on Power (Loki, Nyx and maybe Rhino)
  • Critical Delay (+ Crit Damage, - Fire Rate): I hear good things about this on Grakata. Didn't like it on Soma
  • Corrupt Charge (+ Charge Damage, - Charge Speed): A must on Galatine
  • Magnum Force: Heavy Caliber for pistols. Not something I use but maybe for something like Embolist?

Was a shame we didn't finish off the Mag Prime parts for you. It's really odd that we didn't get the BP in either of those runs. If you catch me online, the two of us can always run that to 20-30 minutes, and it's supposedly a common drop.

Was also nice to see you get started with Loki. Hopefully you didn't get a bad impression of him, because I'm not sure Survival is really his strong suit [great for leveling up though] given that he doesn't really do a ton of crowd control other than distracting with Decoy and disarming with Radial Disarm. But he's better than you'd think for defenses, and he's second only to Rhino for solo runs, and even then only in certain situations.

If I heard correctly, you have a potato on Rhino and two spares. Those really have to go to Nova and either Loki (if you like him) or Vauban (when you get his parts).

K&AJones 02-24-14 12:07 PM

Really sorry to hear about your troubles with losing your "stuff"...hope that works out. I took two days off away from Warframe, just a slight burn-out and decided on catching up on movies. Didn't play a thing Friday and Saturday.

And Wiz...you'll like Loki. I'm using him almost exclusively now on Alert Missions with maybe mobile def/ defend types here and there. Thanks to Chess for helping set him up and telling me just how good he is. Nothing can beat a long, long invisibility with speed. Plus having a Galatine to swing doesn't hurt either.

And if you get a Loki, Nova, Rhino and I'll even throw in Vauban in your Warframe collection...you're set and pretty much can cover everything with everyone. Trinity would be in the mix as well and I actually like Nyx a bit also.

chess 02-24-14 01:13 PM

I didn't really lose anything. It's just an odd glitch where it thinks I'm in post-harvester mode, and I can't get out of it for some reason. You just heard my frustration because it hadn't done that all day, and I kind of thought it had sorted itself out.

I put in a trouble ticket with DE.

K&AJones 02-25-14 08:19 AM

Well that's good to hear....I bet you was a bit worried ...and pissed at first.

I have to say last night turned into a real blessing of sorts and I guess the Good Luck gods must had some pity on me from all those runs trying to get the Bronco Prime parts.

Over the last week I've taken time away, not really enthused about the game, felt somewhat "stalled" since I didn't have anything to level up and work on. Felt good about my Frames, got Bronco prime forma three times, the Bruston Prime done on it's second Forma and the Synapse, Penta, Soma are all good, Just got Mag Prime leveled out on her second Forma and she's fine. No need to do another one Vauban or Nova. Rhino...could get another but not really hurting for one. The only thing missing....parts for Saryn and the infamous Ember Prime Helmet....basically doing Bronco Prime all over again.

After Sith left, then Reaper and then you I was about to call it a night also when at the last minute I said, "what the heck...I'll do a Tower 1 Capture alone". Now I don't care to do these alone because...(A) I suck at them and (B) I always figure someone would like to come along. So I brought in Loki with the Synapse for extra protection. For some reason it seemed there were more enemies than normal. Heck...even more than when we did the mobile defense earlier. I thought I was in a T-III Exterminate. Those freaking "Slammers" were dime-a-dozen. Anyway I got both captures and the screen started to freeze...again and made a bee-line for extraction.....my reward....Ember Prime Helmet. Just like that Bronco Prime part I missed for weeks I had to do a triple take to make sure it wasn't me dreaming. I mean...what are the odds again for this to drop in a TI Capture? So now I need to get Saryn and one part for Volt.

chess 02-25-14 09:08 AM

It was "uncommon" in T1 and "common" in T2. Uncommon isn't terrible odds, but it's still a good break to get it.

Congrats!

I just potato'd her, but I kind of wish I'd done Ash instead, because I think there's a build for him that I could really enjoy involving a max Blind Rage and max Narrow Minded with only his first two abilities (Shiruken and Smokescreen). Those are his "cheap" abilities, so efficiency would be less important, and range would also be meaningless. He'd basically be a Loki with a fairly high damage projectile ability.

I think I might just use my spare potato on Ash now and hope for another freebie before we get U12.

K&AJones 02-25-14 12:28 PM

I actually liked Ash and probably would've put a potato on him if I went after other Frames at the time...didn't Vauban, one less potato on Nova, no Nyx, missing one part for Nekros and Oberon was coming out.

Since I didn't potato him I really didn't get to see his full potential which on paper is not too shabby. All skills actually has some use. But Smoke Screen w/ Blade Storm could be as lethal as any out there. Smoke Screen has "Stealth Damage" which like Loki can have some serious results, just not as long of duration. Blade Storm was a hoot to initiate and just watch him go a berserk rampage. It's not a instant AoE like Nova, Rhino, Frost, Mag, etc but for 5-7 seconds he takes everything down and is untouchable. I'm not sure if you would really need to increase the radius (Stretch) since maxed it's at 20m. But Stretch would help Smoke Screen but the max of 10m is not bad if you plan on using a Galatine. Be interesting to see 2-3 Ash at the same time.

chess 02-27-14 08:12 AM

I'm pretty sure I'm done with Ash, as I can't figure out a build that works for me. He needs lots of Power, which is what separates him from Loki, and it turns out Power/Duration is a tough combo to put together, because it kills your Efficiency.

Next potato is for Nyx, I guess. Banshee/Saryn/Valkyr/Excalibur are the only others left.

@ Wiz, I sent the invite yesterday because one of the invasions on Saturn was for an Orokin Catalyst, and I wanted to let you know and/or bring you in to run it with us. I also wanted to let you know that Narcissus on Pluto is giving out Split Chamber pretty reliably. You might have to run it 10-15 times, but it's worth it, and you'll earn a ton of XP along the way.

Apparently, Rhino Prime is a thing:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/EK80l-454Vc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I love the idea of a Rhino or Loki Prime, as they are two of my favorite frames, but it occurs to me that they both need their alt helmets to really be effective, so no matter how cool the Prime helmet looks, you probably won't be using it.

tlwizard 02-27-14 12:21 PM

Thanks for the heads up. Was able to jump on and grab it. I already have a split chamber, but nothing wrong with getting another. Might try to hit up Narcissus today.

Finally got that last Mag Prime part. But it took about 12 additional runs through T1/T2 survivals.

Did you say Bronco Prime is the only Prime weapon worth going after?

chess 02-27-14 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by tlwizard (Post 12027597)
Thanks for the heads up. Was able to jump on and grab it. I already have a split chamber, but nothing wrong with getting another. Might try to hit up Narcissus today.

When did you get a Split Chamber? You must be playing more than I think you are!

Finally got that last Mag Prime part. But it took about 12 additional runs through T1/T2 survivals.
I'm thinking the BP is only in T1, and it's supposed to be "common", but yeah, it seems to be dropping less frequently.

Did you say Bronco Prime is the only Prime weapon worth going after?
  • Bronco Prime is neck and neck with Despair for best secondary in the game, and it's ammo efficient enough to use as a primary.
  • Burston Prime is neck and neck with Soma for best primary in the game.
  • Paris Prime is neck and neck with Dread for best bow in the game, if you like bows.
  • Boar Prime has a following if you like shotguns for primaries.
  • Orthos Prime has a following if you like the way the Orthos handles. Try the regular one to see.
  • Glaive Prime is unique and is worth trying out at a minimum. I'm about to potato mine.
  • Latron Prime is about to get a huge buff if you like semi auto weapons

chess 02-27-14 01:06 PM

A gold potato, two silver potatos and a forma from invasions the past two days. Not too shabby.

AFAIK, there's no way to track those via phone app or anything, so I guess just make sure you're checking them when you log in and before you log out.

K&AJones 02-27-14 01:14 PM

On Ash...I'm not convinced he really needs that much power. Blade Storm is his "Bread & Butter" ability but with it maxed out w/o any power strength mods it's already effective...

Per wiki....
Hits up to 7 / 9 / 12 / 15 enemies one at a time within a 20 meter radius of your initial target for 750 / 1000 / 1500 / 2000 Finisher damage per enemy.

But I can see where Duration is a mix bag especially if you want to run Smoke Screen and Blade Storm. While Duration has no positive effect on Blade Storm is does increase Smoke Screen's time but..does reduce the stagger (stun) radius from 10 meters.

I'm wondering if going for a high efficiency with a high Flow for a power pool and just constantly recast. I didn't see anything about a cast delay. The only issue then would be with too much efficiency you need to put a Stretch in the mix so Smoke Screen wouldn't have a to small radius.

I should be on tonight..started a new book and couldn't put that down.

chess 02-27-14 01:40 PM

Originally Posted by K&AJones (Post 12027662)
Per wiki....
Hits up to 7 / 9 / 12 / 15 enemies one at a time within a 20 meter radius of your initial target for 750 / 1000 / 1500 / 2000 Finisher damage per enemy.

High level enemies chuckle at these numbers. Blade Storm is flashy but pointless because when it's activated you can't use your weapons, and your weapons probably do more DPS. [see Valkyr for same problem]

Ash's bread and butter are actually Shiruken and Smoke Screen IMO, but Shiruken has the same problem Blade Storm does. It needs a lot of power to be effective, which kills efficiency because Blind Rage is the only power mod other than Focus.

The only skill Ash has that scales worth a crap is Smokescreen, and Loki's version is better because it lasts longer and is more efficient. Ash also doesn't do any crowd control, and Loki also does high level crowd control with Decoy and Radial Disarm.

chess 02-28-14 09:24 AM

Originally Posted by chess (Post 12027655)
A gold potato, two silver potatos and a forma from invasions the past two days. Not too shabby.

Another gold and another silver last night. It's getting almost silly.

I put a potato on Nyx last night when the newest Reactor popped up on alert, and I've gotta say, she's pretty decent. Chaos is her best power, but Absorb is a great "oh shit" button, and Mind Control is amusing.

Everybody who's left to potato is kind of terrible: Banshee/Excalibur/Saryn/Valkyr