DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Video Game Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk-15/)
-   -   Warframe (PC, PS4, XB1) - Ninjas Play Free (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk/615288-warframe-pc-ps4-xb1-ninjas-play-free.html)

Supermallet 01-31-14 10:08 AM

re: Warframe (PC, PS4, XB1) - Ninjas Play Free

I didn't like Borderlands, either. :)

chess 01-31-14 10:25 AM

Originally Posted by Supermallet (Post 11995857)
I didn't like Borderlands, either. :)

Gasp!

Well then you're just wrong, sir. Wrong about everything. Good day to you! ;)

Supermallet 01-31-14 10:53 AM

Well I never!

chess 01-31-14 10:54 AM

I said good day sir!

Supermallet 01-31-14 11:45 AM

http://stream1.gifsoup.com/view/1848...-monocle-o.gif

K&AJones 01-31-14 03:50 PM

Supermallet....While some might compare Warframe to Borderlands it's only a part of overall picture. You can add a little Mass Effect, some Halo, a tad of Unreal Tournament along with tidbits of several other games ...shake & stir....you have Warframe but it's still something different and not exactly a full bore Borderlands clone.

As to Borderalnds it does have similarities in it's solo, 2, 3 or 4 players. It like Borderlands has different characters with different abilities but more choices. It doe not however have the "Million Gun Combinations". It has a level Up system, free to roam & go where you want, tier base enemies and rewards. I will say it has a steeper learning curve than that of games mentioned which is actually a plus. But what was it that made you have zero interest in Borderlands?

chess...."As an experiment, I'd like to start with a tour killing Grineer bosses and then just run whatever for the rest of the night to see if we can double/triple/quadruple our chances for a Stalker appearance. Given how long it's been since I've seen him, I'm wondering if 1) some bosses are better than others or 2) maybe you lose your death mark every day".

I think that's a cool idea and might even add opening up some places. As I recall even Sixth said there are several he hasn't done and not opened. Doing a "Boss Tour" or zeroing in on one planet is fine with me.

flashburn 01-31-14 05:17 PM

Honestly, I don't really feel that Borderlands and Warframe are anything alike, except in the most basic of gameplay ideas.

chess 02-01-14 11:30 AM

Wiz,

Wanted to let you know I built that Vermillion antitoxin for you last night. We can run it pretty much whenever you have a chance. It will get you the campaign badge, the mods and the Wraith Twin Vipers.

It was a lucky break getting an alert for an Excalibur helmet while you were on yesterday, but I wish you'd made it last night. Another Orokin Reactor alert popped up. They're usually pretty rare, but that's two in the past two days.

I've leveled my Excalibur up to 25 or so, and he's kind of interesting. I really like the Slash Dash as a means of getting around quickly, and Radial Javalin is a pretty solid AOE, except that he's really vulnerable when he does it (sort of like Volt used to be). He's definitely not potato-worthy, but he's interesting.

tlwizard 02-01-14 03:26 PM

Thanks for the heads up and for all your help yesterday!

Got on about 3am LA time and worked my way through more of Venus. So hopefully I'm also closer to that Rhino place. I might have time to jump on in an hour or so to run a level or two, but that might be my only time until Monday at some point. I'll see if you're on and send you an invite.

K&AJones 02-01-14 03:43 PM

Hopefully I'll catch Sith on tonight and get in on the "400 Vermillion"...

We did pretty good last night with Orokin Cells and some other decent stuff. Still can't buy that missing Bronco Prime Part...I mean three straight Bronco Prime Handles??? I swear if and when I get this I don't really care to go back except maybe defend...the frame rate and lag is pretty bad. I held my breath a few times when it literally just froze for 3-4 seconds.

I actually looked for a Pathogen Round but didn't see one for sale at a decent price. Somebody had a maxed one for 500 Plat. Some guy posted he had (4) but already sold three....and he said he got all his at Corpus Gas City (Alad V).

I'm going back on other Frames and did a Forma on my Rhino when I saw he had just one. I need one more for Nova and she is at (58) now. I'd still like to figure out and play Trinity. I quit using her because of that "Power In Use" bug and haven't touched her since the update. Nyx is about 1-3/4 days away. I got Oberon bactk to (30) but have tried to look for build ideas and haven't seen anything.

My last Mutagen Mass will be done later tonight for the Acrid. I'm almost maxed the Grakata (28) but haven't potato'd it yet. I'm seeing decent crit numbers even with the few mods I have on (Ammo Regen, Critical Damage, Critical Chance and one Bane of...). But Level 15-20 are taking a lot to take down, recoil is an issue and even with a large clip it chews thru ammo. Plus the darn thing has zero Polarity Slots. I'll have a spare Catalyst tonight and haven't thought on what to do with it but sure the Acrid will get one.

K&AJones 02-02-14 11:17 AM

Hey Chess

I posted question over at the official Warframe forums in the general area (PC and PS4) on how to get the Pathogen Rounds. I was asked if we had tried "Elara, Jupiter"...it's a Corpus Survival 11-16. They said the Anti-MOA's appear far more than with the Alad V. Boss.

Right before calling it a night I ended up starting a Sobek build. It's been awhile since I used a Shotgun and just wanted to give it a go. The Hek was fun but just slow. My Acrid will be ready late tonight.

chess 02-02-14 04:32 PM

Sobek is a pretty solid gun. I never potato'd it, but I enjoyed leveling it up. It helped that I was using it at the appropriate point in the game as I plowed through the middle planets.

Pathogen Rounds in one run. They changed something, because I know I had run that level before.

tlwizard 02-02-14 11:49 PM

Having trouble ranking up to level 2 by using the initial Secondary Weapon (Lato?) Is it just a matter of modding it to make it better, or is there a better secondary weapon that I can use at this point?

Or, Chess, should I just wait a few days for the dual vipers to show up from the anti-toxin mission?

chess 02-03-14 07:45 AM

Originally Posted by tlwizard (Post 11998793)
Having trouble ranking up to level 2 by using the initial Secondary Weapon (Lato?) Is it just a matter of modding it to make it better, or is there a better secondary weapon that I can use at this point?

Or, Chess, should I just wait a few days for the dual vipers to show up from the anti-toxin mission?

The short answer is that you'll want to level up every gun you can get, because leveling weapons and frames up = mastery experience = access to new and better weapons.

That said, it doesn't matter which weapons you're leveling up for mastery rank, so why not use the best available and come back to the weaker ones when you have something else to carry you? But before we move you to the next thing, I'd like to catch you online and make sure you understand the modding process, as most every gun is fully usable with a couple of mods. I can also share some mods to get you started...nothing you couldn't get yourself (don't want to ruin the experience), but some real basic keepers like Serration and Hornet Strike (increased rifle and pistol damage) and maybe something like Lethal Torrent (pistol multishot).

The Wraith Vipers will likely be better than anything else you'll have available any time soon other than the Kunai (which will require some material farming to build). Will help you farm Rhino and some materials for crafting the next time I see you, and mastery rank at the early levels will happen quickly as you follow me.

I have a snow day today, so if you're around...

K&AJones 02-03-14 09:26 AM

Pretty much what Chess said and I might add....

...as to the Lato, it's not exactly a Mega-Damage Pistol. It has only (11) Physical Damage and it's primary damage is (7) Slash...mainly for Infested and good fro Grineer...forget about Corpus.

Here is the Warframe Wiki page for weapons and it's worth it to read the "damage" section as well. Pairing the weapon attributes with the right enemies will help you score more points= leveling up faster.

http://warframe.wikia.com/wiki/Weapon_Comparison

And as Chess mentions, as you level up whatever, you start applying the mods little by little concentrating on the "Base Damage". With Pistols it's Point Strike. Later something with Multi-shot and maybe add a elemental in the mix, Fire Rate, Critical Damage, etc..

And a good thing to do is try and hit Defend Missions though Survival is the best at rewards and leveling up. It's a matter of getting in with a good bunch who are probably doing the same and are fairly equipped for the level. Besides leveling up, early on just get as many mods and credits you can get (hence Survival Missions are players choice). You can combine any mods to level up a mod and need the credits to pay for it. And you need higher level mods to make the weapons better and stronger.

Chess...I played with my Acrid a bit on the survival Mimas. Even without a single mod I was taking down the Grineer (Level 9-14) with ease. Sobek will need some stuff and not sure if I'll potato or not. It like the Grakata has zero polarity slots so it's kind of hard to really judge. Even at Level 30 you really won't have the chance to get the most out of it since at best maybe four mods can be used. I'd rather put a potato than 3-4 Forma's on it.

chess 02-03-14 09:37 AM

Silver Potato (Orokin Catalyst) Alert Mission up. Go Go Go.

K&AJones 02-03-14 10:00 AM

Originally Posted by chess (Post 11999068)
Silver Potato (Orokin Catalyst) Alert Mission up. Go Go Go.

Can't, Can't, Can't...work, work, work....

so tell again...just how A-W-E-S-O-M-E that Bronco Prime is...later on maybe.

chess 02-03-14 11:16 AM

Originally Posted by K&AJones (Post 11999082)
Can't, Can't, Can't...work, work, work....

so tell again...just how A-W-E-S-O-M-E that Bronco Prime is...later on maybe.

I really feel sorry for anybody who doesn't have a Bronco Prime. It's...

http://donttrysohard.files.wordpress...co-so-good.gif

flashburn 02-03-14 11:40 AM

I ran like 30 T2-T3 capture's over the weekend trying to build Bronco Prime and still haven't gotten the last part (receiver I think?). So irritating! The good news is that I'm filthy rich now. Well, that is until I start fusing my Melee mods (I've completely ignored them so far).

K&AJones 02-03-14 12:01 PM

Originally Posted by flashburn (Post 11999202)
I ran like 30 T2-T3 capture's over the weekend trying to build Bronco Prime and still haven't gotten the last part (receiver I think?). So irritating! The good news is that I'm filthy rich now. Well, that is until I start fusing my Melee mods (I've completely ignored them so far).

There's a old saying...'Misery loves company"...welcome to the "Wish I had A Bronco Prime But Missing The Last Part" club...

Between Chess, Sith, Zombie and myself...close to 24-30 T2/3 captures. I need to run more survival & defends to get the keys since I'm all out.

chess 02-04-14 09:02 AM

Lest anybody think I'm giving K&A undue grief about his lack of Bronco Prime, it's fully just friendly ribbing. In fact, I've run quite a few of my own Void Capture keys trying to help him get that receiver.

I think if you were trying to get Ember Prime or Orthos Prime, it would have popped by now. It's usually how these things work.

I realized last night that I have every alert mission reward...all weapons/auras/helmets. I got my last couple of helmets just the other day (Chorus Banshee and Shroud Nekros). So basically all I have to do is clear out the rest of the map. Loki is shockingly good at solo'ing Spy, Deception, Capture and Exterminate, and I'm using Rhino or Nova to solo Defenses and Rescues.

I also discovered that Loki is hilariously good for T3 defense. I took him in a round, and one of the randoms in the game was talking shit about "why'd you bring Loki" and "We're going to have to revive you a bunch, because Loki is weak and useless for defense". With Radial Disarm, almost nobody shot at us, the random un-potato'd Ether Reaper that I was leveling up was wrecking dudes with 4x damage while I was invisible, my decoys were consistently pulling melee enemies (i.e. all of them) away from the objective and I revived that dude twice (both times asking if he wanted me to).

I also took Nekros in a Survival round, and Desecrate is pretty awesome for generating extra life-support.

Finally, a lot of free Reactors and Catalysts this week. After hooking Nekros up, I have a spare Reactor...maybe for Trinity and two spare Catalysts...for either Ogris or Penta and something else.

chess 02-04-14 11:51 AM

I've also been thinking about starter rifles for Wiz, and after using the Grakata a bit, my take is that it has more absolute potential than other starter rifles, but you'd have to have the proper mods to really make it shine, and it's honestly a little bit unruly for my taste (lots of rounds missing). In contrast, the Braton, Burston and Boltor are all pretty good without a bunch of rare mods that you probably don't have when you're starting the game.

The Twin Wraiths will come pre-equipped with a potato, which is pretty badass, but they aren't ammo efficient enough to run as a primary unless you have an ammo mutation mod. Still, having one potato'd weapon to fall back on will be a huge plus, and I'm sure I have a spare mutation mod.

If you really want to maximize, most of the "Prime" weapons are available at mastery rank zero, and the Burston/Braton/Latron would be amazing primaries to fill that gap until the Soma is available. You'd just have to troll the chat for people running the right Void keys, or I'm sure we'd being willing to contribute keys and run Survivals, because the rewards for us are pretty good too (forma and credits). The Burston or Latron would be easiest, since they are both from Survival missions, which give multiple rewards and are fairly forgiving for new players. You'd also make a ton of credits and XP along with a few formas for Void Survival.

So the most efficient plan for a starter IMO would be:
  1. Get Rhino and potato for a survivable frame even at low levels
  2. Get "free" Wraith Vipers (already potato'd)
  3. Run Void Survivals for Latron Prime parts (and Mag Prime parts and formas and credits), or
  4. Run Derelict Survivals for Burston Prime parts
  5. Make enough credits doing that to buy a sentinel blueprint
  6. Get taxi to best farming spots for materiels (especially Orokin Cells)
  7. Build and potato Latron or Burston Prime and sentinel (recommend Carrier)

From there, you could go in whatever direction appealed to you, and you'd have spent 40 platinum (potatos for whichever Prime and Rhino).

K&AJones 02-04-14 12:39 PM

Good stuff Chess...and relly haven't said thanks to you and Sith for actually taking time to help out on the the T2/3 Caputures

I've played my Nyx a bit and we must get her and Nekros together...her Chaos and his Shadow of the Dead. I'm not certain if we need to even worry about firing a shot. I like it. Absorb is different and cn work well though not for Corpus since it's Slash Damage. I've had her out doing the Grineer Survivl building her up and Chaos does the job.

Liking Sobek a bit more but with no potato or Forma it's really limited at four mods. Still can do good amount of damage even at Level 18-22 enemies. Acrid is just good period and I can see using it with the Synapse. I did potato it and even half way it's doing some good damage.

Update 1/5....Thanks chess for helping me unlock and get the Loki parts last night. I didn't have that mission/boss unlocked. I need to get with Sith and see if he or some others want to start doing some mission unlocks/ I reall haven't got to the far outside planets much but have several in the mid area where I need 6-10 to finish the planet. I'm seeing several recent Alert missions where I don't have a place unlocked and it's telling me I need to do such-and-such to unlock it. There are some like mobile defense or survival that I'm not sure if I can do by myself to unlock.

flashburn 02-05-14 09:22 AM

Big post about the "End Game" areas of the game they are currently working on:
http://www.reddit.com/r/Warframe/com...f_some_of_his/

K&AJones 02-05-14 03:39 PM

Well I can say I'm honestly part of the "Warframe Hard Luck Club"...besides missing the elusive part for the Bronco Prime I'm missing at least one part for three other "Prime Weapons". But today was a real kicker. I went home for lunch a bit earlier to get my Loki in the 3-day cooker....thanks again Chess. Saw a Alert for a Forma Blueprint and said what the heck. We got bumped the first time and second time went fine and got Mr Stalker. In the middle of this got a invite and didn't have time to see from whom.

Stalker went after me...both guns were going thru leveling up again....took me down and the other three. We came back and got him and finished up. Then got with Chess who asked if I had "finished the Forma Alert"...yea. Well you can spam the Stalker by not completing the mission and keep doing until you get something so I lost out...did get the Forma BP and a Orokin Cell though.

Oh but the best came later....and hour after I left....the Vauban Helmet BP came up for an Alert....and yes I'm missing that to complete getting him. Guess I'll wait for another two weeks and see if this pops up again....