Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

The PlayStation 4 / PS4 Thread: Still Going Strong

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-15, 04:22 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 137 Likes on 106 Posts
re: The PlayStation 4 / PS4 Thread: Still Going Strong

Yeah, I know I have a couple devices (the one I linked to looks like a newer version) that have different output levels, which makes it a pain in the ass trying to remember which one is good for tablets vs phones.
Old 02-12-15, 04:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Just about any cell phone wall charger should work
Old 02-12-15, 04:37 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,200 Likes on 4,227 Posts

Originally Posted by mattysemo247
Just about any cell phone wall charger should work
They should, but they don't. At least they never have for me -- at least they never glow when plugged in so I assume they aren't charging when plugged into a phone or tablet charger.
Old 02-12-15, 04:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts

I use the Chromecast power adapter to charge the PS4 controller.
Old 02-12-15, 05:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,938 Likes on 1,499 Posts

So I did the 2TB hard drive upgrade too... what a pain. I can't imagine doing that if I actually bought more games for the system. Like if that's what it took to migrate my stuff off of a PS3, I'd never be able to do it.
Old 02-12-15, 05:41 PM

PSN: Upgrade Sub Accounts to Master Accounts

+ Posted by Eric Lempel on Feb 12, 2015 // VP, Sony Network Entertainment

Starting today, PlayStation Network (PSN) users will gain the ability to upgrade a sub account to a master account. We’re always listening to user feedback, and this is a feature that many of you have asked for. You’ll be able to upgrade an account first through the web and later through PlayStation 4. Instructions on how to start this process through the web can be found here.

In case you aren’t familiar, sub accounts allow users under the age of 18 to access PSN while letting parents or guardians manage their online experience. A variety of PSN features can be limited through sub accounts including messages, monthly spending limits, and gameplay broadcasts. Additional information is available on our Knowledge Center, here.

If you were on a sub account and turned 18 (Happy belated birthday!), you may want to upgrade to a master account to access the full feature set of PlayStation’s online experience, including PlayStation Store. Your profile will be carried over when upgrading to a master account, along with items like your friends list and Trophies.
Old 02-12-15, 08:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker
They should, but they don't. At least they never have for me -- at least they never glow when plugged in so I assume they aren't charging when plugged into a phone or tablet charger.
My Samsung charger works just fine I also use it for the Gold headset.

Last edited by mattysemo247; 02-12-15 at 08:12 PM.
Old 02-13-15, 11:58 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 72 Likes on 53 Posts

DS3 controllers require some information on one of the other USB pins that tells it to accept the voltage and charge. They'll charge when you plug them into a PS3 or a computer, but not when plugged into a simple phone charger. I dont know if this is also true with the DS4 (or whatever the PS4 controller is called)
Old 02-13-15, 01:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've charged my DS4 on multiple USB chargers. The bar lights up until the charge is finished. I've never tried it on my Apple charger, but I've read that those won't work.
Old 02-13-15, 01:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

I usually charge my PS4 controller with my phone charger.
Old 02-13-15, 04:01 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 120 Likes on 108 Posts

In case anyone wanted to know...Helldivers is coming next month.....

Helldivers Finally Blasts onto PS4, PS3, and Vita Next Month

The downloadable title will launch on the 3rd March in North America, and the 4th March in Europe. Will you help rid space of the alien menace? Sign yourself up onto the front line in the comments section below.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/dNe3su_ZyCw?feature=player_embedded" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

http://www.pushsquare.com/news/2015/...ita_next_month
Old 02-13-15, 04:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 243 Likes on 178 Posts

I'm guessing by the release date that it will be among the free titles for March?
Old 02-13-15, 04:49 PM

March 3rd? And Triple Cross-Buy? You can bet that means it'll be a PS Plus freebie.

BTW : I tried this game at PSX and it's hard as Hell.
Old 02-13-15, 05:37 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by chess
I almost never use the USB ports on my PS4. Think I plugged each controller in once to synch, and that was it.

I could see maybe plugging in a headset dongle (even if there's a perfectly good 3.5mm port in the controller) or maybe a wireless keyboard dongle, but all charging functions are better served/hidden with any one of a billion USB wall plugs IMO.
The problem with the port is that you can't really mix the sounds very well. In Destiny at least, the game audio overpowers the voice chat. And if you turn the audio to chat only, the chat plays only out of one ear. I only use my plug in headphones when my pulse headset needs to be recharged.
Old 02-13-15, 05:45 PM

You can turn the sound down and the Chat up without making it all or nothing.

BTW : I went all over my house plugging my two DS4s into our various micro USB chargers around my house this morning. It seems to charge with small phone chargers, but not with larger chargers like the ones that come with iPads or the larger Belkin chargers that look like this:

I believe there are 5W and 10W USB wall chargers. I notice that you can't really charge an iPad with an iPhone charger (it will charge slowly, but doesn't make that "plugged in" noise or indicate that it's charging). Maybe the DS4 only charges with 5W chargers?
Old 02-13-15, 06:13 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

March 3rd? And Triple Cross-Buy? You can bet that means it'll be a PS Plus freebie.

BTW : I tried this game at PSX and it's hard as Hell.
I'll take that bet!
Old 02-13-15, 06:30 PM

Originally Posted by discostu1337
I'll take that bet!
Hmmm interesting. Didn't know you had insight into the PS Plus freebies. We shall see I suppose. In any case, I wouldn't be heartbroken because this game didn't "do it" for me. But it would be unusual since most console-exclusive digital games that launch on the first Tuesday of the month seem to be PS Plus freebies.

And in case folks didn't see it in the PSN thread, there's a Valentine's Flash Sale in the PSN store with some nice PS4 deals like Lara Croft and the Temple of Orisis for $8/$11.40 (with Season Pass), LBP3 for $24, Guilty Gear Xrd for $24, Jackbox for $10, Dynasty Warriors 8 Complete for $18, Knack for $10 and Rayman Legends for $10(!)
Old 02-13-15, 06:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Guilty Gear Xrd for $24? Already? I'm never buying a game at launch again.
Old 02-13-15, 07:05 PM

BTW : I went all over my house plugging my two DS4s into our various micro USB chargers around my house this morning. It seems to charge with small phone chargers, but not with larger chargers like the ones that come with iPads or the larger Belkin chargers that look like this:

I believe there are 5W and 10W USB wall chargers. I notice that you can't really charge an iPad with an iPhone charger (it will charge slowly, but doesn't make that "plugged in" noise or indicate that it's charging). Maybe the DS4 only charges with 5W chargers?
Were the ones that didn't work iPad chargers? From what I've read, the rapid chargers for Apple devices are slightly different than for other devices. Other devices that can see that the rapid charging is available will ask for it but can't get exactly what they want so they don't charge.

I've never tested it for myself. I just leave the iPad on it's own charger and mix everything else.
Old 02-13-15, 07:28 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by fujishig
Guilty Gear Xrd for $24? Already? I'm never buying a game at launch again.
If I were smart, I'd buy one game at a time, and not buy another game until I beat the one I bought.

I'm not that smart, but my game purchases have gone way down from where they've been in previous years, so I'm getting there.
Old 02-13-15, 07:48 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 137 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by Supermallet
If I had restraint/self-control, I'd buy one game at a time, and not buy another game until I beat the one I bought.

I don't, but my game purchases have gone way down from where they've been in previous years, so I'm getting there.
ftfy&m
Old 02-13-15, 09:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Supermallet
If I were smart, I'd buy one game at a time, and not buy another game until I beat the one I bought.

I'm not that smart, but my game purchases have gone way down from where they've been in previous years, so I'm getting there.
If I were smart, I wouldn't have bought either next gen system at launch, and actually just waited for PS + to play games. But I'm not smart, not smart at all. I mean, I'm glad people are getting the game at a discount, but even with GCU that's a blow to have the game be less than half price within two months. What are they, Ubisoft now?
Old 02-14-15, 01:58 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

You can with those, but the ones I plug into my controller are just a normal Sony wired headset, just headphones with a mic.

With my Pulse headset, yeah I can adjust the mix perfectly.
Old 02-14-15, 07:35 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 120 Likes on 108 Posts

Anyone here play the Dynasty Warriors? When I had a PS2, the Dynasty game was my favorite. It's flat out total arcade mayhem. I'm just surprised it went that low....you never hardly see any of their games on sale. And Lara Croft looks like fun after seeing some of the co-op videos
Old 02-14-15, 08:32 AM

I'll play some Lara co-op with you sometime, Buzz. It also has couch co-op, which means Share Play should work as well.

I have no clue about Dynasty Warriors. Need to look into that. Leaning towards getting Guity Gear Xrd for $24. I like fighting games and this looks like a good one. I also kind of want Geometry Wars 3, but think I'll buy that on the One since the real aficionados of that game from this site (Liver & Onions, pixy) play it on that system (not that I'll ever come close to them on the leaderboards) and it's essentially the same price on both systems,

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.